Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a series of Youtube videos of Adam Jensen's va joining in on a walkthrough of Human Revolution and laughing about his voice acting, or relative lack of it (he just sounds like that all the time).

Oh, yeah that owned. "See, I can say this, because she's my wife in real life as well: Shut up, Meghan."

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khFv-lVM70U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws1RZU9zAi0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bust Rodd posted:

For what it’s worth I doubt fewer people in this thread are more critical of Nier:A than I am but Nines is probably one of the best written and acted video game characters since Raziel/Kain from Soul Reaver. The 2B actress did great, but Nines character arc and his line readings are Top of their Class.

Thank you for admitting your past errors in opinions.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

For what it’s worth I doubt fewer people in this thread are more critical of Nier:A than I am but Nines is probably one of the best written and acted video game characters since Raziel/Kain from Soul Reaver. The 2B actress did great, but Nines character arc and his line readings are Top of their Class.

Agreed. Possibly my favorite VA performance of all time, almost all because of Punished Nines.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

precision posted:

The teenagers turning en masse in Beyond was like the single most realistic thing in that game lmao

Keep in mind literally none of them had ever met her or spent time with her before that day, and also, that they are teenagers

Anyone have a clip of the scene?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo he sounded like a character from Ninja Turtles or something

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Anyone have a clip of the scene?

also worth noting they don't completely turn on her until she tells her ghost friend to knock over books and poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

Imo he sounded like a character from Ninja Turtles or something

Lol not great with voices huh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was fine since it was a super anime game, but I'm not sure what blew peoples minds about him guffawing and overacting through every line. it was straight out of a kids cartoon. I didn't mind his VA at all but he was super goofy sounding and melodramatic.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I liked how an innocuous-sounding quest in Route C all of a sudden gets all hosed up and kicks off the end game sequence. You're just all noooo I'm not ready for this and then things get really dark for the next hour and then nothing feels good again until the E ending.

Ah, Route E :allears:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

It was fine since it was a super anime game, but I'm not sure what blew peoples minds about him guffawing and overacting through every line. it was straight out of a kids cartoon.

The voice acting was miles better than most AAA western games.

Though Japan is weirdly pretty good at dubbing nowadays in the decently funded ventures.

Though I don’t know what the gently caress you mean by super anime.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: sure ok.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair most AAA voice acting is rather bad as I don’t think they care much about it so it’s a low bar to clear.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nier: A’s voice acting is extremely Japanese video gamey but it’s great. Fits the game perfectly and it never took me out of it. The voices I’ve encountered so far are all very memorable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair most AAA voice acting is rather bad as I don’t think they care much about it so it’s a low bar to clear.

I won't disagree with that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sounded good in Japanese :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sounded good in Japanese :shrug:

Anything can sound good when you have no idea what they are saying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's pretty obvious that Metro 2033's russian voice tracks aren't much better than Steve Blum's incredibly terrible russian accent. :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know what he’s saying and I was impressed. Everyone else was ok but I was definitely sold on 9S’s slow path to obsession over the course of the game.

Edit: never listened to the English so can’t compare.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 26, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I took Japanese for a number of years, I have a good enough idea. Moreover, the characters and their personalities are styled as Japanese and so it seems to fit, same with Monster Hunter.

Like, if the characters were styled as Russian I'd prefer it subtitled in Russian rather than dubbed with British accents.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just got the new Persona dancing games and am having a good time so far and its got good remixes. I'll be streaming it if anyone wants to see/hear what its like.

https://www.twitch.tv/gutcruncher

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gutcruncher posted:

I just got the new Persona dancing games and am having a good time so far and its got good remixes. I'll be streaming it if anyone wants to see/hear what its like.

https://www.twitch.tv/gutcruncher
Watching this a bit I think the same way as I did watching trailers of this game, and also video of the last game on the Vita...the dancing itself is really slow and boring, compared to the fast and stylized animations in the other games. Was that a deliberate decision for some reason I don't understand?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Without the story mode, these two videos are the biggest features.

P5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBoRJGRUtH0

P3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZvOVOfrjio

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got Detroit for $30 off so I gave it a try. I liked, not loved, Beyond and never played any other Cage stuff.

So far I'm finding the choices pretty random. Like the results for them are not predictable in the slightest, and some critical choices have done things that I wasn't expecting at all. As a result it looks like my first playthrough is gonna be pretty short, and I haven't decided if I want to go through it again yet. all but one character is dead after about three hours lol

It's almost more Until Dawn than Beyond.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Dehry posted:

Without the story mode, these two videos are the biggest features.

P5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBoRJGRUtH0

P3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZvOVOfrjio

Oh god I only encountered one of those works of art so far. I'm so stoked theres more.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So far I'm finding the choices pretty random. Like the results for them are not predictable in the slightest, and some critical choices have done things that I wasn't expecting at all. As a result it looks like my first playthrough is gonna be pretty short, and I haven't decided if I want to go through it again yet. all but one character is dead after about three hours lol
Do you consider that good or bad? In the Witcher games Geralt's decisions often have unexpected consequences and that's very deliberate - he's just one man and it's a world in chaos. Is Detroit like that?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PS+ title announces in 20min :woop:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do you consider that good or bad? In the Witcher games Geralt's decisions often have unexpected consequences and that's very deliberate - he's just one man and it's a world in chaos. Is Detroit like that?

Witcher did it much better, I loved all the twists in that. Until Dawn's surprises were better too. In Detroit it's been more misunderstanding than good writing, like in two final scenes I was like "poo poo I did not want him to do that" before I even knew what was gonna happen so that's not so great.

It's still a fun time if you enjoy that kind of game. Definitely won't convert many Cage critics though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is it kinda like the mass effect dialogue prompt problem where the choices are so vague that what happens doesn't always reflect what you think the prompt for it meant?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Or like LA Noir where it says “doubt” and you yell that they’re a child murderer or whatever?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lol LA Noire almost felt like it was trying to piss off the player with that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I wouldn't say it's as bad as LA Noire in that way, but there's really quick timers on everything so you don't have time to think about it. Like I killed one of the main characters by accidentally mind-reading a guy who was being interrogated for murder at a police station, who was then inexplicably un-handcuffed from the table by a cop while he was trying to smash his own head in. He of course grabbed the cop's gun, shot my character then shot himself. Was a bit annoyed at that one; at no point before that do you know you have that ability.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gently caress yes dark souls !!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's wild how much more punishing Dark Souls is compared to Bloodborne!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

keep in mind that shields are busted as gently caress in dark souls 1 and you can totally just hide behind them forever if you feel like it

magic hadn't been nerfed into the ground yet either so it's pretty strong too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im plinking dragon tails again god bless this game

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol look at this noob going for the dragon sword

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a series of Youtube videos of Adam Jensen's va joining in on a walkthrough of Human Revolution and laughing about his voice acting, or relative lack of it (he just sounds like that all the time).

He plays a character in the first season of The Expanse, if you want to see him actually talking.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I wouldn't say it's as bad as LA Noire in that way, but there's really quick timers on everything so you don't have time to think about it. Like I killed one of the main characters by accidentally mind-reading a guy who was being interrogated for murder at a police station, who was then inexplicably un-handcuffed from the table by a cop while he was trying to smash his own head in. He of course grabbed the cop's gun, shot my character then shot himself. Was a bit annoyed at that one; at no point before that do you know you have that ability.

Keep playing, this isn't the permadeath moment you think it is. Also It's pretty clear they unhandcuffed the android because it was the only way to try and stop him smashing his brains in on the desk (thereby destroying key evidence) and the cop had no other way to achieve that after trying to hold the android upright. It's not a great move, but it's not some inexplicable act of stupidity.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 26, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

lol look at this noob going for the dragon sword

Im playing a sorc in honor of my first scummy run of the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He plays a character in the first season of The Expanse, if you want to see him actually talking.

He also looks nothing like I expected based on his voice.

Troy Baker, on the other hand, looks exactly like how I imagined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I haven’t played a QD game fully since Indigo Prophecy ( or Fahrenheit as we called it!)

The demo of Detroit definitely has me interested!