Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It would make sense if replicators produced a meal based on a template so it's exactly the same every time, which is nice and reliable but gets old after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Replicated food might also be a bit like some military rations. Good enough to eat and get some satisfaction out of, but not so good that you'll end up wanting to overeat it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Eddington grows organic tomatoes and says they taste way better than the replicated stuff. I bet he also makes tote bags and shops at farmers markets.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It would make sense if replicators produced a meal based on a template so it's exactly the same every time, which is nice and reliable but gets old after a while.

I think that was even explained at some point; it was just a template so it was never bad it just wasn't quite the same. The replicator was still just a machine so it lacked the human touch that home cooked food had. One of the reasons it couldn't make a pie "the way grandma did it" was partly because it was producing it from a generic template and partly because it did it the same way every time. Grandma didn't.

So you could be all like "hey replicator, I'd like some flour, some sugar, and enough apples to make a pie" and it would hook you up. Then you'd make the pie and it wouldn't match what the replicator did at all. The other thing is that the replicator was basically just magicking the thing into existence whole cloth while actually cooking it gave it all the funny changes that happen over time while cooking.

It really felt like they were doing the whole "manufactured stuff is good but never quite as nice as hand made" thing. Sure machines can make pies but they can't make pies as good as a baker can.

DS9 and Voyager played with that a lot more than TNG did.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Deep Space Nerds in this thread :smuggo:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mu Zeta posted:

Eddington grows organic tomatoes and says they taste way better than the replicated stuff. I bet he also makes tote bags and shops at farmers markets.

Sisko also gives a moment of silence for when his girlfriend tries to cook and ruins the peppers he had spent weeks growing in his quarters. Of course, Sisko is established as a drat good cajun chef.

Still love when grandpa Sisko does Cajun-Ferengi fusion cuisine and Nog loves it, Jake too til he finds out what it's made of. Grandpa Sisko is pretty great for being a character who barely seems to belong in Star Trek but has some great insights and interactions specifically because he's so relatively normal.

And to get things slightly back on topic; the episode where the threat of Changeling infiltration gets Earth put under martial law has aged all too well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Replicated food might also be a bit like some military rations. Good enough to eat and get some satisfaction out of, but not so good that you'll end up wanting to overeat it.

So what you’re saying is that Steve1989 was sent from the future to prepare us all for the food to come. Sure I’ll eat it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They should have just done B5 instead of trying to jury-rig it to fit the Star Trek universe, honestly.

Babylon 5 and DS9 definitely have some suspiciously familiar setting elements, but honestly the stories they tell are pretty different and I'm glad both series exist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And to get things slightly back on topic; the episode where the threat of Changeling infiltration gets Earth put under martial law has aged all too well.
As has the 2-parter where they talk about poor people in the early 21st century being shuffled into sanctuary cities (with a few throwaway lines about the breakup of Europe).

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

HOLY gently caress posted:

Just wanted to say that I'm v loving DS9 chat so much

I came across Bo Selecta on YouTube the other day and I'm not sure if it counts for this thread if the show was already a bad idea to begin with but :stare:

https://youtu.be/v-lLk5sZYeU

I mean, it was mildly funny at the time when you actually knew who half the celebrities were. But you couldn’t make the same show today, since half the humour is him being super gross to women and their uncomfortable laughter. Also, there’s all the blacking up.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

ryonguy posted:

Pretty hard to do that when DS9 came out first.

Sorry, but Straczynski was shopping B5 around to studios in 1989, including Paramount, who got extensive materials on the basic story arc, characters, series bible, and artwork. All long before there was any thoughts of a spinoff of Next Generation. Paramount's announcement that they were doing DS9 came two months after Warner announced production of B5.

B5's pilot aired just weeks after DS9's, due more to scheduling of the startup of the PTN network than "following" DS9.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ryonguy posted:

No, it would have been easy to accept JMS's pitch instead of rejecting him, then strangely enough creating an extremely similar show, the filming of whose pilot, by the way, actually started after that of B5's had concluded.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Babylon 5 and DS9 definitely have some suspiciously familiar setting elements, but honestly the stories they tell are pretty different and I'm glad both series exist.

I'm just saying that they tried to fit a square peg into a circular hole, it's not surprising that there's scratch marks. :shrug:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Babylon 5, if getting completely retooled to fit in the TNG era/setting, would probably have had some big plotline changes. Something like the Federation was trying to build a (relatively) non-Starfleet space station to act as a neutral ground in a relatively disputed/conflict-heavy region of space.

Being located out on the farthest fringes of known space, there had been a relatively short, but costly, conflict involving the Federation years prior to that that ultimately resulted in a cease-fire.

The treaty with the 'Minbari' to get their foot in the door in this sector of space would be to make the B5 distictively non-militarized. It can have onboard weapons and security, but Starfleet and Federation vessels are otherwise prohibited from the region. This gives you a situation where the Federation, in order to stock and staff it, has to wheel and deal with non-aligned worlds or privateers to act as middle men for them on both ends of the line. It makes them a bit more vulnerable, it makes getting help harder/impossible, it makes them have to make harder choices because they can't expect the power of the Federation to swoop in and defend them at a moment's notice or rattle their swords.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Is there another thread that y'all could take this Trek talk?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was watching some old JLU/JL/Batman:TAS clips recently and it struck me how 'cinematic' they were. In retrospect, most the WB DC cartoons from the mid-90s through the 2000s really makes any similar stuff from the same time or earlier maybe age really poorly in comparison.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I really thought there was a tng episode where somebody talks about basically uploading recipes and tweaking them. So you could have the replicator standard burger and also like Worfs Special Burger With Worms Or Whatever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That does not sound appetizing. Boy, those kooky Klingons sure are different than us!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Raktajino sounds delicious

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mu Zeta posted:

Raktajino sounds delicious

I've always assumed it was just really really strong espresso-type coffee.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: the Ferengi: I remember hearing about a tie-in comic (which I haven't read) which was about how Nog became one of the few cadets to "beat" the Kobayashi Maru test by offering to bribe the Klingons to go away, which worked because the Starfleet people who programmed the test apparently never considered it as a possibility. I thought that was funny (though it's probably not very good - probably falls into the same trap most Star Trek tie-in stuff does in missing that the point of Kobayashi Maru isn't whether or not you can beat it).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ryonguy posted:

Babylon 5 was pitched BEFORE ds9 to the people who MADE ds9 oh god

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Reminds me of the people who complained Dredd was a rip off of The Raid, only for them to find out Dredd was being filmed before The Raid

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, it would have been easy to accept JMS's pitch instead of rejecting him, then strangely enough creating an extremely similar show, the filming of whose pilot, by the way, actually started after that of B5's had concluded.

I'm just saying that they tried to fit a square peg into a circular hole, it's not surprising that there's scratch marks. :shrug:

MrUnderbridge posted:

Sorry, but Straczynski was shopping B5 around to studios in 1989, including Paramount, who got extensive materials on the basic story arc, characters, series bible, and artwork. All long before there was any thoughts of a spinoff of Next Generation. Paramount's announcement that they were doing DS9 came two months after Warner announced production of B5.

B5's pilot aired just weeks after DS9's, due more to scheduling of the startup of the PTN network than "following" DS9.

Okay so B5 is thinly veiled Star Trek fanfiction, got it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Reminds me of the people who complained Dredd was a rip off of The Raid, only for them to find out Dredd was being filmed before The Raid

I still want a Dredd sequel. And another Raid while we're at it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think Rama will be doing anything after The Raid 2...

Iko Uwais still is tho, as there's Headshot and this Triple Threat that's coming out this year could be pretty great.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: the Ferengi: I remember hearing about a tie-in comic (which I haven't read) which was about how Nog became one of the few cadets to "beat" the Kobayashi Maru test by offering to bribe the Klingons to go away, which worked because the Starfleet people who programmed the test apparently never considered it as a possibility. I thought that was funny (though it's probably not very good - probably falls into the same trap most Star Trek tie-in stuff does in missing that the point of Kobayashi Maru isn't whether or not you can beat it).

While it's true that the whole point of it is that you're not supposed to beat it no matter what it's pretty hard to make a test that's totally unbeatable. That's especially true when you're dealing with more than just humans. Granted in the case of Kirk he just hacked the computer because he's, you know, Kirk. It would actually make sense that a society that hasn't had to bother with money or scarcity for centuries wouldn't even think of bribes while the Ferengi would pretty much just default to that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Solice Kirsk posted:

They keep shopping around the idea of an Urban starring Dredd tv series, and everyone involved actively is enthusiastic, so fingers crossed.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Star Trek pretty strongly indicated that replicator technology could never create anything as good as something hand crafted.
I like what this implies about repeatedly transporting (which is surely very similar technology to the replicator).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Choco1980 posted:

They keep shopping around the idea of an Urban starring Dredd tv series, and everyone involved actively is enthusiastic, so fingers crossed.

Only if Urban is in every episode.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mister Kingdom posted:

Only if Urban is in every episode.

And doesn't say more than 3 pages of dialogue the entire season.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tiggum posted:

That never made any sense though. You can perfectly reproduce something down to the subatomic level but somehow it just doesn't taste the same? Bullshit. I suppose your stereo system sounds better with gold-plated speaker cables, too?

Actually, replicators are stated to recreate only down to the molecular level, so presumably there's some it can't get quite right/are missing in the final food.
There's a TNG reference that a certain seafood is actually poisonous if replicated.

Teleporters are sub-atomic however, though I'm guessing it's not practical for the energy expended, or something.

Mister Facetious has a new favorite as of 23:44 on May 26, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Of course, ultimately the real answer to "what's the deal with Quark's" is they wanted to have an old West saloon guy because it was a frontier outpost in space.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was watching some old JLU/JL/Batman:TAS clips recently and it struck me how 'cinematic' they were. In retrospect, most the WB DC cartoons from the mid-90s through the 2000s really makes any similar stuff from the same time or earlier maybe age really poorly in comparison.

Additionally, the Justice League cartoon had several multi-parters that put the current live-action movies to shame in every way. Actually I'd say it even puts Civil War to shame; they tackled that whole "government vs. superhero group" plot in the most thrilling and cerebral way I've yet seen. Opposite of what this thread is about I suppose.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 00:01 on May 27, 2018

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i mean it makes sense that teleporters needing an active technician and a room-sized machine that has to move things with total fidelity are more sophisticated instruments than microwave-sized wall mounts that are more-or-less upjumped vending machines

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Until voyager where you can do a site to site transport with the computer from wherever.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That is only because they were all hoping the computer would screw up and kill them. It wasn't any safer.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Voyager: Star Trek, but stupid.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RaspberryCommie posted:

Voyager: Star Trek, but stupid.

It was a good idea and the first couple seasons were good.

Later seasons...not so much. I quit watching when the bug things that the Borg couldn't assimilate showed up. The series got loving stupid after that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Voyager was flagging in ratings so the producers remedy for this was “let’s hire a chick with big titties”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Volcott posted:

Until voyager where you can do a site to site transport with the computer from wherever.

the machine doing it is still a room-sized thing with a technician monitoring it

the only difference is that in voyager you don't have to directly talk to o'brien if you don't want to