Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

SAT scores declined over the same period, so less violent people are dumber, I guess.

and computer sales went up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

SAT scores declined over the same period, so less violent people are dumber, I guess.

The price of bread and the popularity of Boyz II Men also increased over that time period, so I guess correlation etc

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just had to look up rolling coal and what the gently caress America

I aint going to let that uppity n-word tell me what to do!

Buying more fuel and spending more on equipment expenses to own lib-*has a crash and now has a 6 figure health bill and a new drug addiction* MAGA!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

The price of bread and the popularity of Boyz II Men also increased over that time period, so I guess correlation etc

Dont let me go
The the end of the correlation road
I'll causation that ho
Its unnatural
It belongs to me
It belongs to you

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Budgie posted:

Pretty sure there is a study somewhere that shows a marked decline in violence around the time that unleaded fuel became widespread.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

Is great effort made to maintain long term consistency in SAT difficulty?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

therobit posted:

Given the fact that there is no magazine in the gun I am thinking it is probably staged. Or else they ran over someone while he stopped to reload.

Tossed off an overpass maybe? http://komonews.com/news/local/flying-gun-gets-lodged-in-bumper-of-passing-car-on-i-5

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

JB50 posted:

But if it did...

http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I see. So if we encourage more sadsacks to make strangulation their death of choice, then we can go to mars?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Facebook Aunt posted:

I see. So if we encourage more sadsacks to make strangulation their death of choice, then we can go to mars?

Yeah, look at that science funding increase after Carradine died, the statistics don't lie

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rexxed posted:

But if it did...

That one in particular looks like both are correlating with population.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Platystemon posted:

Is great effort made to maintain long term consistency in SAT difficulty?

No; rather, a great effort is made to maintain the average score at 1000 points. If people get smarter, the test gets harder.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

JB50 posted:

However in this case there's also a plausible explanation that it consistent with known science and holds up when people have developed experiments for the theory
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2017/06/01/new-evidence-that-lead-exposure-increases-crime/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

No; rather, a great effort is made to maintain the average score at 1000 points. If people get smarter, the test gets harder.

So to investigate the “clean air makes kids dumb” hypothesis, do researchers have the same cohort take tests from 1975 and 1991 to see which is harder or what?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
No, they have kids take the test initially and them feed them paint chips and make them retake the test.

Anyone who's taken the SAT knows this first hand. They also make you use a #2 leaded pencil to track your exposure to lead over time in a closed environment.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I dunno, seems like you could suffocate in space pretty easily. There might be something to this.

Does OSHA apply to space? When do we send an OSHA inspector to the ISS?

"Seems to me this whole station is a falling hazard."

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 25, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

However in this case there's also a plausible explanation that it consistent with known science and holds up when people have developed experiments for the theory
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2017/06/01/new-evidence-that-lead-exposure-increases-crime/

In places with good enough records you can pretty closely predict rates of violent crime with traffic patterns 15-20 years prior.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The foreground is bad enough, but combined with that background...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

As someone who has had safety harness fail, not going to lie, this made my heart race and palms start to sweat.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Who stops and takes that picture before fixing it, though?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Someone who wants it to be absolutely clear how they died.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Don't climbers, at least the ones that don't care about being dangerous, usually double their safety ropes?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F723rIlW_No&t=6s

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I figured they probably had a secondary line or were on steadier ground and not actively climbing when taking that picture, it just makes me nervous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PetraCore posted:

I figured they probably had a secondary line or were on steadier ground and not actively climbing when taking that picture, it just makes me nervous.

Or it’s a still from a worn video camera. Really doesn’t look like a still from a GoPro though so

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Almost broke the arms of my chair watching this. Holy poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gently caress absolutely everything about this

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

dang that’s a hell of a via ferrata

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did...did they expect the cable to be completely rigid and straight between the two points?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fallom posted:

Did...did they expect the cable to be completely rigid and straight between the two points?

Maybe they overestimated the amount of friction they'd have on their clip. (And who else was expecting that clip to fail?)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Watching it, I'm making the same noise as the hook. EeeeeeeEEEEEEIEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Ho, they had a parachute. I was wondering where they wanted to go with that giant knot in the way and no double harness to switch over.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Don't climbers, at least the ones that don't care about being dangerous, usually double their safety ropes?
No. They do tend to use locking carabiners tho, or at least double action.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tafferling posted:

Ho, they had a parachute. I was wondering where they wanted to go with that giant knot in the way and no double harness to switch over.

I was thinking the same, but then considered the holocaust of idiocy that would ensue when the harness failed and the chute was released with him still sitting in that bosun chair, now untethered and possibly swept up into the shrouds by convection/turbulence.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

There are smaller ropes called twin ropes and half ropes that are used in pairs, but they're used for certain specific climbing situations, mostly alpine style mountaineering where they give advantages (lighter weight relative to rappel length, distribution of load on protection, more manageable when frozen). A single rope is considered unbreakable (as far as falls go, not un-cuttable) in climbing so you don't have to double it, but otherwise redundancy is a rule for knots and anchors and other things that might fail.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I can't find the video of Russian industrial climbers dropping 380 kg of glass from a 47th floor, without some idiot babbling over it :(

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
What was that cable put there for? It's crazy that guy didn't get his hand impaled or shredded from that bundle of steel cable he stopped on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My guess would be an old logging op: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_logging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Watched a friend of mine fall 30ft down the side of a stacked conex tower we were using to practice rappelling when his carabiner failed. I probably don't have the phrasing correct on it but the gate didn't lock and when he put his weight on it, it opened up and down he went onto asphalt. Broke both legs and his back and had some rough burns on his arms and chest from where he tried to hug the rope to slow himself down. He's able to walk again but not very well.
It was pretty awful to see it in person