Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

The movies are scored all the way through because Jackson was smart enough to realize that Shore was probably the greatest film composer in the world at the time and the more dramatic heavy lifting they could get him to do, the better.

It's a great score but good lord it's in like every single scene. Even Star Wars gives you a breather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

VanSandman posted:

That’s the second film. The third film stretches out three chapters to 90 minutes and suuuuucks.

My only memory of that movie (apart from the liquid gold thing) is being what felt like 5 hours into and thinking "god I hope this wraps up soon", only to realize we hadn't even seen Smaug yet and there were still approximately 17 hours to go.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There’s a really brisk 4 and a half hour adventure movie in the Hobbit.
Too bad Peter Jackson can’t do brisk.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was obv overriding financial reasons for three movies

I also thought the gold scene was interesting and evocative and fit .

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Great, now I started thinking about Hobbit 3 I am having flashbacks to all the points where I thought 'why is this in this movie?' and 'how is this not over yet?'

Like when Azog stages a not-dead-yet comeback and literally pops out of the ice like a horror-movie jumpscare.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ashcans posted:

Although you could probably finish a warhammer novel in less time than it takes to watch those movies.

You could probably write one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The third movie was definitely a production of a cynical and nihilist director who hated everything by that point as has been mentioned.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
My husband actually read Hobbit to our kid as a newborn to try and branch out his early language exposure from “him cute lil feets him good boop boop” and “oh god he poo poo everywhere again.” It’s amazing what a good dang book it is for a children’s story, and how easy it is to read aloud and listen to. The character voices just happen organically and the humor comes through effortlessly— no small trick in a work that requires some subtlety and timing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I went to a late showing of the last Hobbit movie after going to the pub so it was just a huge silly spectacle to me. No moment in cinema history will ever top the sheer joy and surprise I felt when Billy Connolly turned up on pig cavalry.

Probably will never watch the films again though.

Except the LOTR trilogy. I love those films through and through.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's warhammer-novel bad, yes.

Just have your kid watch the rankin-bass animated hobbit, it's genuinely better in every way.

no doubt

forget Lee Pace

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

VanSandman posted:

There’s a really brisk 4 and a half hour adventure movie in the Hobbit.
Too bad Peter Jackson can’t do brisk.

the three movies approach was decided on before he ever got there and the story and final cut were both heavily meddled with from start to finish

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Does anyone have a link to this Galadriel scene with no CGI? I looked a bit but it's kind of hard to search for.

As much as I disliked the later Hobbit movies I think they did a good job with Thranduil. He's a Sindar, so not one of the grubby Wood Elves that never went west.

Also, this whole discussion is making me want to re-read the books, thanks nerds.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ashcans posted:

Great, now I started thinking about Hobbit 3 I am having flashbacks to all the points where I thought 'why is this in this movie?' and 'how is this not over yet?'

Like when Azog stages a not-dead-yet comeback and literally pops out of the ice like a horror-movie jumpscare.

to be fair PJ did get his start in horror movies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like the second Hobbit more than Return of the King.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

sassassin posted:

I like the second Hobbit more than Return of the King.

You're a goddamn sonofabitch sassassin.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Southpaugh posted:

You're a goddamn sonofabitch sassassin.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Official Movies rankings:

1) Two Towers Extended
2) Fellowship Theatrical
3) Fellowship Extended
4) Desolation of Smaug

The rest is borderline unwatchable garbage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sassassin posted:

1) Two Towers Extended
2) Fellowship Theatrical
3) Fellowship Extended
4) Desolation of Smaug

heh’s TWITCHIN, because heh’s got MAH POSTS, EMBEDDED in his NEHRVOUS SYSTEM

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

sassassin posted:

1) Two Towers Extended
2) Fellowship Theatrical
3) Fellowship Extended
4) Desolation of Smaug

Don’t sign ur posts

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

1) Two Towers Extended
2) Fellowship Theatrical
3) Fellowship Extended
4) Desolation of Smaug

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The pacing is better in the theatrical Fellowship, I won't budge on this.

Faramir's arc doesn't work without the extended additions, so the bloat is necessary for TT.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The most enjoyable part of reading the hobbit as a kid was the mirkwood scene where they're just in this claustrophobic forest, and they cut that part and made it dumb.

I liked the stephen fry goblin though. That wasn't bad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Here's a song that might be about Numenoreans sailing to Valinor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUhgCto_79Y

But it's vague enough it might just be that the writer heard Valinor somewhere and liked the sound of it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I love the first three movies and the books equally. I think Jackson made a lot of odd choices, as gone over here, but in the end the is no way to adapt the books to the screen without changing things, and the things he changed do not alter the story's main themes enough to bother me. After watching the commentaries I can at least understand what they were going for, and no movie or book or anything is perfect all the way through. The movies get so much right, and did such an amazing job paying attention to detail, that I can begrudgingly accept Sauron as an eye and elves at Helm's Deep, since hey at least their armor was dope. Faramir honestly does not bother me much at all, since he is so inhumanly perfect in the books that its a bit jarring. Moving his refusal of the ring to Aragorn made sense if you are trying to condense characters in a story where that is inevitable., and helps reinforce Aragorn's kingly nature since you can't use the million ways Tolkien beats the reader over the head with it in the books.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

The most enjoyable part of reading the hobbit as a kid was the mirkwood scene where they're just in this claustrophobic forest, and they cut that part and made it dumb.

I liked the stephen fry goblin though. That wasn't bad.

I have really vivid memories of imagining the part where they try and cross the river in their little makeshift boat or whatever they did, and how Bombur (Bofur?) fell in and fell the gently caress asleep. THen they had to carry his fat rear end the rest of the way until the spiders or the elves, I forget.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I love the first three movies and the books equally. I think Jackson made a lot of odd choices, as gone over here, but in the end the is no way to adapt the books to the screen without changing things, and the things he changed do not alter the story's main themes enough to bother me. After watching the commentaries I can at least understand what they were going for, and no movie or book or anything is perfect all the way through. The movies get so much right, and did such an amazing job paying attention to detail, that I can begrudgingly accept Sauron as an eye and elves at Helm's Deep, since hey at least their armor was dope. Faramir honestly does not bother me much at all, since he is so inhumanly perfect in the books that its a bit jarring. Moving his refusal of the ring to Aragorn made sense if you are trying to condense characters in a story where that is inevitable., and helps reinforce Aragorn's kingly nature since you can't use the million ways Tolkien beats the reader over the head with it in the books.

:agreed:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's amazing how clear my memories of mirkwood and lake town are. They've survived the films.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The films somehow managed to make them both entirely forgettable.

E: I mean even the Rankin-Bass Hobbit had that ridiculous scene with the butterflies that is just two shoddy frames of animation and a bad pan and yet was weirdly lyrical and sticks with you for decades

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Personally I always found act three (lake town and Smaug) to be the weakest part of the book. Not weak in an absolute sense, but I have much stronger and fonder memories of the Misty Mountains, Mirkwood, and the trolls.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
With regard to the elven rings, it’s been a really long time since i actually read the trilogy but I thought I remembered something, somewhere about how Celebrimbor hid the three away during their creation so that they weren’t under the dominion of the One. Did I just make that poo poo up?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

andrew smash posted:

With regard to the elven rings, it’s been a really long time since i actually read the trilogy but I thought I remembered something, somewhere about how Celebrimbor hid the three away during their creation so that they weren’t under the dominion of the One. Did I just make that poo poo up?

He made them in secret, but I an pretty sure he did that becuase he didn't fully trust Sauron, not because he knew Sauron was going to forge the One. The One was definitely forged after the three.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

andrew smash posted:

The three were under the dominion of the one. They weren't made with Sauron's direct help but they were made using knowledge he imparted so they still had his intended security vulnerability. When Sauron first put on the One the elves realized what was up and immediately took their rings off.

e: one interesting tidbit is I can't find any passage indicating Sauron gained any benefit other than dominion over the other 19 rings from wearing the One (compared to his pre-ring self). Other people gain the power Sauron put into it (provided they have enough power themselves to use it) but Sauron just regains the power he already had natively, plus dominion over the other rings. It's possible I'm missing a passage saying that he was stronger post-ring than pre-ring though.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 26, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In one of the letters Tolkien says that he figures Sauron with the ring would be more powerful than Sauron pre-ring, at least more apt to dominate the wills of others (whether they had rings or not).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

In one of the letters Tolkien says that he figures Sauron with the ring would be more powerful than Sauron pre-ring, at least more apt to dominate the wills of others (whether they had rings or not).

Makes sense; why would he go to the effort of making the Ring so powerful if it didn't benefit him somehow?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think the Ring also allows him to reform his physical form within Arda if his body is destroyed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Runcible Cat posted:

Makes sense; why would he go to the effort of making the Ring so powerful if it didn't benefit him somehow?

The benefit was having a master ring that would let him control the minds of the important people wearing the slave rings he designed. It needed a lot of juice to perform that main function, but it's clearly worth it given that the intended holders of the rings form a large part of his opposition during the War (Sauron certainly wouldn't have had to commit as many forces to the north around Mirkwood/Dale).

All the other rings gave their wearers some measure of power without further investment, though, so it makes sense that Sauron plus Ring would have a great kung fu power level than Sauron pre-Ring. But that factor is entirely irrelevant to the story.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

One thing I got pissed off at them changing in ROTK was the gate breaking scene at Minas Tirith. That poo poo was extremely good in the book and also seems pretty "cinematic" to my ignorant self. I haven't watched the commentaries - do they explain the decision making here?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you taking about the extended edition or cinema cut?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

euphronius posted:

Are you taking about the extended edition or cinema cut?

Man it's been awhile, I think in the cinema version they have the trolls bust in and that's it, and only in the extended do we see a confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch King? But even in the EE the changes they make (it's on some random street, right, you don't to see everyone but Gandalf run away?) were pretty lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

sat on my keys! posted:

One thing I got pissed off at them changing in ROTK was the gate breaking scene at Minas Tirith. That poo poo was extremely good in the book and also seems pretty "cinematic" to my ignorant self. I haven't watched the commentaries - do they explain the decision making here?

For the cinematic cut, a large amount of the poo poo that gets cut is because their decision from the beginning is they are going to focus on the Ring and its journey from the Shire to Mt Doom. This sometimes makes lots of sense, since as much as some of us may like Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights, you just cannot force that into movies. Other times it leads to some weird poo poo, as people here have already mentioned focusing on a character's "journey" is the source of Faramir's changes.

They do try to hit as many of Tolkien's themes as they can, but sometimes do that by rearranging stuff or altering it. It's hard to show Gandalf's mere presence as inspiring people, but they do it by showing him rallying the troops on the wall, and then reiterate it with him bolstering the troops at the gate instead of just having everyone run away.

They reduce the Witch King's role in the story since in the end, his main impact on the story of the Ring is stabbing Frodo, and then being stabbed by Merry. In a giant story filled with far too many characters to film, they had to make tough choices, and instead of the drawn out scene at the gate they cover that in a minute with an action scene of the trolls bursting through the gate.