Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I mean, the current GHB has a whole bunch of Realm rules already that nobody uses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Black_Nexus posted:

I mean, the current GHB has a whole bunch of Realm rules already that nobody uses

I assume these are supposed to be Core stuff. Maybe something like universal spell lores.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

"I want to play in Ulgu!"
"I want to play in Shyish!"

Be interesting to see how GW circumvents that argument.

Roll for it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Free Company Militia, the Altdorf Alehounds (Talabheim Tappers?):

This brings my regiment to 30 dudes, and I can toss in the random 10 halberds I have if I want to make a good block of 40 Freeguild Guard with militia weapons.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/24/24th-may-rules-preview-summoning-for-freegw-homepage-post-2/

summoning preview, and boy, it's a wild one

quote:

The big change for matched play, though, is that summoning now no longer costs reinforcement points! Instead, you earn your summoned units with in-game actions: bloodshed, spreading plague, mastering magic, and other thematic goals. For some recent armies, this ability works just like it does in your battletome today (but free!). For others, their unique summoning ability will be rolled into their army’s new allegiance abilities, which will be found in the General’s Handbook 2018.

The Hosts of Slaanesh, for example, revel in suffering and pain, both given and received, so they generate points when their Heroes deal or receive wounds which do not slay their target. Meanwhile, the Seraphon generate points by performing rituals with their Slann Starmasters and Saurus Astrolith Bearers.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That looks like a lot of fun, but also a nightmare to balance. I'm eager to see the full rules. I know Nagash armies "heal" undead back into their respective units - how do the Maggotkin do it?

Edit: Also book review time, I picked up that Hammerhall set of short stories and I'm trying to get through the novella at the start. It's dreadful. The prose clunks along a bunch of disparate fight scenes, and it reads a lot like someone's AoS game merged with someone's D&D campaign. It has two redeeming qualities - it shows off some Tzaangor beastmen doing stuff in a kind of cool way, and it describes Liberator Primes as essentially drill sergeants just yelling at their comrades to fight harder which is way less dramatic than what I'd depicted in my head.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 24, 2018

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Maggotkin generate Contagion Points and already have summoning rules to use them. 21pts for a GUO for instance. Up to now though, they'd also require reinforcement points so no one used them.

Death doesn't have an alternate points system in LoN though. Not sure how they will work.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TKIY posted:

Maggotkin generate Contagion Points and already have summoning rules to use them. 21pts for a GUO for instance. Up to now though, they'd also require reinforcement points so no one used them.

Death doesn't have an alternate points system in LoN though. Not sure how they will work.

The LoN article is up and it's just the Endless Legions ability, but you can use it as many times in a turn as you want to spend command points on it

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/24/24th-may-faction-focus-legions-of-nagashgw-homepage-post-3/

I'm into that stupid 480 skeleton attack combo

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Games will take even longer now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They had multiple abilties that allowed them to summon in more units from gravesites so this is all helpful.

Also good to hear that the new Nighthaunt units can be taken in Legions of Nagash.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"Well basically, the issue is it dashes all of Nighthaunt's individuality. It doesn't matter what they get for Allegiance Abilities, Spells, and so on. Legions is already superior, by a longshot. If they keep the DS for Nighthaunts, well...Gravesites are better. The Deathmages lore is borderline OP. Access to Necromancer and Mortis Engines is something Nighthaunt players have been wanting (given Deathmages are not part of their allies list, and for good reasons lorewise) and vastly improve the combos you can do. Why take Nighthaunt, when you can take everything good AND Skeletons AND Necromancers AND Arkhan? Or so on. Nighthaunt will be unplayable and unplayed compared to the combos you'll be able to do in Legions. And the best part is, it totally overrides the normal mixing of factions, which means you get all your bonuses and give up nothing on return..."

I always forget how terrible Hams are outside of these forums.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"Well basically, the issue is it dashes all of Nighthaunt's individuality. It doesn't matter what they get for Allegiance Abilities, Spells, and so on. Legions is already superior, by a longshot. If they keep the DS for Nighthaunts, well...Gravesites are better. The Deathmages lore is borderline OP. Access to Necromancer and Mortis Engines is something Nighthaunt players have been wanting (given Deathmages are not part of their allies list, and for good reasons lorewise) and vastly improve the combos you can do. Why take Nighthaunt, when you can take everything good AND Skeletons AND Necromancers AND Arkhan? Or so on. Nighthaunt will be unplayable and unplayed compared to the combos you'll be able to do in Legions. And the best part is, it totally overrides the normal mixing of factions, which means you get all your bonuses and give up nothing on return..."

Were was that from.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've seen this kind of dumbassery in mtg as well. There is this disease where people immediately think a deck is better once you add a color to it regardless of how much it stretches the manabase or fucks with the internal synergy of the deck.

If GW doesn't gently caress it up Nighthaunt should have access to more raw power but lack the flexibility of the Legions, which is game design 101 poo poo.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lol how is that guy so mad about like two sentences of a preview that says LoN will get access to some night haunt units

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Were was that from.

A discord I'm on. This guy has been talking about starting Nighthaunt ever since it became clear they were getting expanded. But apparently being able to also use them as LoN is just a step too far?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
AoS isn't exactly a paragon of balance but I highly doubt the new Nighthaunt units will benefit so much from LoN stuff, and also this guy seems stupid as gently caress.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What faction is the Coven Throne?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What faction is the Coven Throne?

Besides its keywords, it's in the Legions of Nagash book so you can run it with them too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a thread for WHFB chat? I'm inexplicably playing in a 7e league over the next few months.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Is there a thread for WHFB chat? I'm inexplicably playing in a 7e league over the next few months.

If there isn't, I'd still like to hear about the league.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'll be taking photos (and possibly battle reports), so I'll just post anything interesting here as it unfolds.

We're starting at 500 points, then escalating every 2 weeks culminating in a 2500 point tournament.

I'm using this as an opportunity to paint all the cheap Dark Elves I picked up after 8th exploded. Part of me wants to see how a gimmick army of Morathi and 200 repeater crossbow elves would perform, but I'm probably building something more versatile.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tree People focus.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/25/25th-may-faction-focus-sylvanethgw-homepage-post-3/

Along with showing how one of the new free summoning abilities work.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tree People focus.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/25/25th-may-faction-focus-sylvanethgw-homepage-post-3/

Along with showing how one of the new free summoning abilities work.

A free treelord once per game sounds like a good time.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It does, but having one or two extra of every unit needed for summoning seems a little exhausting to model and paint. Thank god the Start Collecting boxes are generous with Dryads!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I actually like these changes to summoning more than I expected. They are flavored interestingly, and are pretty simple. I purchased my first box of AoS stuff since the starter when it released, so I am excited for the new edition.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

In fairness to discord guy, I can see a Nighthaunt army run through Legion of Sacrament with Arkhan and his battalion backing them up being pretty drat tough depending on what kind of units get into Legions. Particularly if the Knight of Shrouds gets in. So I assume KoS is not gonna get on the Legions roster.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

The Deleter posted:

It does, but having one or two extra of every unit needed for summoning seems a little exhausting to model and paint.

Exactly. I'd rather start a new army than have to buy extra units for summoning.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

New article on living spells. Puts a very interesting spin on double turns.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Some info on Skavens in 2E as well. Welcome to rat town.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm liking the new living spells as a replacement for the old WHFB Vortexes. I'm tempted to pick them up just to paint as they look neat.

That Purple Sun may make a neat 'Warbeast' in my KOW Undead army or something.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Tempted to get that toothy pac-man thing and paint it green as The Mouth of Gork.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Tempted to get that toothy pac-man thing and paint it green as The Mouth of Gork.

Same, but pure beautiful Pac-Man.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If anyone is thinking about buying all the shadespire warbands for $5 without cards, please buy them with cards and sell the cards to me for $10

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking the predatory spells might get a bit expensive. There are probably going to be eight of them, and each model is small monster sized. $200 worth of models?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Hopefully will be in some sort of expansion box set like Dark Millenium. In fact in the Ironjaws faction focus it’s somewhat hinted at:

quote:

One change that’ll be great for your Weirdboyz is the new magic expansion, Malign Sorcery.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

If anyone is thinking about buying all the shadespire warbands for $5 without cards, please buy them with cards and sell the cards to me for $10

For God's sake, they are only giving a $5 discount if you don't buy the cards? That's nuts.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 26, 2018

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

For God's sake, they are only giving a $5 discount if you don't buy the cards? That's nuts.

If they were a little less, like $22 retail, I would buy multiple packs of skeletons

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

what's a nighthaunt?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

nopantsjack posted:

what's a nighthaunt?

a ghostest with the mostest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
a ghost with a trademarkable name

• Locked thread