Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Six years of biannual updates doesn't count as long-term? I'm referring specifically to the amount of effort it takes to keep some mods up-to-date in a game with this release cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I wonder if that will be a problem in the long term with this game, that a lot of the well thought out tweak mods are going to get lost in the shuffle after DLC updates.

But the next DLC will be the last one?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I started a plot to kill my old regent as soon as my ruler turned 16 because he stole a bunch of my money while my guy was growing up. Success rate got stuck at around 70% though so I tried giving gifts to a couple people, nothing changed. I also tried buying a favor from my chancellor and I couldn't force him to join my plot faction with that either. What else can I do to make these guys join me in my super petty effort to merc this guy?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Invite random people to court who happen to like you and then rope them into your scheme?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tamba posted:

But the next DLC will be the last one?

do we know this for sure or are people just assuming that?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
My dummy co-conspirators tried to push the guy in a pile of explosive manure and tried to slip a snake in his bed. Neither of these brilliant schemes worked and the target is onto me. I'd be mad but these plans were very funny.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Kikkoman posted:

My dummy co-conspirators tried to push the guy in a pile of explosive manure and tried to slip a snake in his bed. Neither of these brilliant schemes worked and the target is onto me. I'd be mad but these plans were very funny.

Crusader Kings 2: I'd be mad but these plans are very funny.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I somehow have a Sunni Bedouin girl named "Snowball" in my dungeon. She doesn't have any horse, cat, or bear heritage afaik, I guess her folks just liked the name. Weird.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Crow Jane posted:

I somehow have a Sunni Bedouin girl named "Snowball" in my dungeon. She doesn't have any horse, cat, or bear heritage afaik, I guess her folks just liked the name. Weird.

Maybe her name sounds prettier in Arabic or whatever culture she is. :v:

I really need to start a new game of CK2, it's been close to a year since I last played.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Crow Jane posted:

IIRC kids can be named after historical leaders so I assume it's something like an animal ended up leader in her home holding at some point and she was named after them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Does she do a lot of cocaine?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Crow Jane posted:

Because her hair is soft and white.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It could be all of those things, I suppose. I gave her to my son as a concubine once she came of age, in the hopes she'd pop out an heir with recessive cat/horse/bear genes, but then the plague hit and I never got to find out :(

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

do we know this for sure or are people just assuming that?

Prior to Jade Dragon they said they would do two more DLC and that would be it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Crow Jane posted:

Another ideal CK2.txt

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Six years of biannual updates doesn't count as long-term? I'm referring specifically to the amount of effort it takes to keep some mods up-to-date in a game with this release cycle.

I think I misread you, nevermind that. Yeah, the game is about the age for Modder Fatigue to have thoroughly set in if it has constant updates. I don't really think it's an uncommon number of abandoned mods for something updated so often, though. Good news is updates generally pick up after the last expansion to something. Modders go "Oh, I don't have to worry about DLC anymore?" and go back to stuff they haven't updated in a while.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
It's all good. I was going to go into examples, but I figured you could get it in two sentences. This is something I've noticed more lately with games that have endless development cycles. I spent a lot of time playing mods to Valve games, Civ, etc. and I usually wonder about the future of mods, but CK2's mod problem is somewhat unique. I'd be curious to see what happens when they stop adding content. Obviously minecraft is an example of how modding will endure as long as a game is popular, but that's minecraft, not a paradox game.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Personally I've abandoned working on my Paradox mods because I can't be bothered to compatch them every six months so I'll be pleased when development sloooows down and I can work on a big project with confidence.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, got all the recent DLC and I think I'm finally gonna start a new game. Any "you might want to watch out for this" stuff about the last few DLCs, starting from Monks and Mystics onwards?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, got all the recent DLC and I think I'm finally gonna start a new game. Any "you might want to watch out for this" stuff about the last few DLCs, starting from Monks and Mystics onwards?

See thread title.

The Hermetics give you really good dynastic/demesne bonuses, they're my favorite society. You need to have 10+ intelligence to join, but you can game it by taking your less than brilliant heirs on as apprentices, which gives them the perks of membership despite their stupidity. Kinda like a medieval Skull and Bones society :v:

Also, if you're in range, send stuff/people to China as often as possible. If you build up enough good will the dragon will smash your enemies for you, enabling you to rush in and gobble up all the microstates afterwards. Arranging imperial marriages is also really helpful in that it gives you a peace deal, a bride/groom with generally excellent stats and traits, and a Chinese honor guard retinue you can call up. And sending your non- primary sons off to be eunuchs can make succession much less of a headache.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
My own "watch out for this" advice is beware of syphilis and maybe don't take as many lustful concubines as you can find unless your game will literally end without heirs produced and soon.

It can be passed to newborn kids, see, and won't manifest until later in life. I've had a few hundred years of prematurely dying rulers thanks to syphilis.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Alikchi posted:

Personally I've abandoned working on my Paradox mods because I can't be bothered to compatch them every six months so I'll be pleased when development sloooows down and I can work on a big project with confidence.

Same. I had some popular EU4 and CK2 mods on steam workshop. But it eventually took way more time and effort than I could put in for free so...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I tend to roleplay rulers a bit and not worry about minmaxing stuff, so I was thinking more "this thing is stupid and can be very unfun and game/save ruining unless you know about it", like I remember someone mentioning spending tons of time unfunly squashing stupid cults or something.

Also I'm probably just gonna be boring and try to unite Wales or play some no name HRE Empire Count or some other 1066 start, I was thinking getting my Viking on, but sounds like it might be cool to wait for Holy Fury for that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I tend to play with secret religious cults disabled, it's totally gamey but makes for far fewer headaches in the long run. Also turning shattered retreat off makes battles far less annoying.

Oh, and be careful about having your chaplain or whatever hunt apostates for too long. It can be good for getting rid of annoying vassals, but it also makes it very easy to burn your wife and children at the stake because you didn't read the pop-up carefully enough :saddowns:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Yeah its very easy to accidentally get a kinslayer penalty for burning your brother for being an apostate. You do have the option of imprisoning them or branding them, which can have their advantages, especially if they're a noble you want an excuse to revoke land from.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Crow Jane posted:

I tend to play with secret religious cults disabled, it's totally gamey but makes for far fewer headaches in the long run. Also turning shattered retreat off makes battles far less annoying.

Oh, and be careful about having your chaplain or whatever hunt apostates for too long. It can be good for getting rid of annoying vassals, but it also makes it very easy to burn your wife and children at the stake because you didn't read the pop-up carefully enough :saddowns:

Well that's what they get for being heretics. :colbert:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

When the dude walks right up to the throne and demands you set your wife on fire, there really should be a “gently caress this guy up” button in the list of choices.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Crusader Kings boardgame looks like it will provide the full experience - the next stretch goal is to increase the size of the map by 50% and add some provinces.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Jedit posted:

The Crusader Kings boardgame looks like it will provide the full experience - the next stretch goal is to increase the size of the map by 50% and add some provinces.

It's okay, the next stretch goal after that refactors the AI decision logic to speed it back up to pre-expansion levels

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Playing as Byzantines and infuriating all my friends because I spend 45 minutes taking every turn because I need to consider blinding/castrating all my subjects.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Chakan posted:

Playing as Byzantines and infuriating all my friends because I spend 45 minutes taking every turn because I need to consider blinding/castrating all my subjects.

The only correct option is 'yes'.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I need help with an obscure mechanic -- I'm playing the Persian Empire, I had all but two de jure titles under my control, and I just usurped one of them. However, it's a viceroyalty, and I can't grant it to anyone as a duchy. How do I fix this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also my Saoshyant guy was already a lunatic, mystic, owner of the Necronomicon, married to his aunt (who was a devilspawn child), and was formerly named "the Accursed" before Saoshyant overwrote it, but I've posted silly Saoshyant characters before and figured it wasn't really notable enough to post again.

Then he ate the Moabadan-Moabad. :haw:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I need help with an obscure mechanic -- I'm playing the Persian Empire, I had all but two de jure titles under my control, and I just usurped one of them. However, it's a viceroyalty, and I can't grant it to anyone as a duchy. How do I fix this?

Don't you have to be able to give a barony in the duchy for a capital? Try giving it to someone in the duchy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

Don't you have to be able to give a barony in the duchy for a capital? Try giving it to someone in the duchy.

That's what I'm trying to do, but it doesn't show up in the list of titles.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I just added Conclaves, Monks/Mystics, and Black Death expansions. My previous time spent with the game mainly involved just doing the old gods start time and doing either Ireland or Wessex and blobbing out until I got bored. I understand Conclaves makes blobbing a lot harder these days. With Conclaves is it worthwhile playing a minor lord or is it still better to go independent to start?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It looks like the Viceroyalty fails to revert to the original owner when you die, which converts it back into a normal duchy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sounds like maybe you didn't have the ducal viceroyalties law?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sounds like maybe you didn't have the ducal viceroyalties law?

No, that wasn't it. Changing that law was actually the first thing I tried, and it didn't work with or without the ducal viceroyalties law. And the laws didn't change between the last time it didn't work, and when it did.

I'm pretty sure it's just a bug with how usurpations work, but since it fixes itself after a generation it's not too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

MikeC posted:

I just added Conclaves, Monks/Mystics, and Black Death expansions. My previous time spent with the game mainly involved just doing the old gods start time and doing either Ireland or Wessex and blobbing out until I got bored. I understand Conclaves makes blobbing a lot harder these days. With Conclaves is it worthwhile playing a minor lord or is it still better to go independent to start?

The main thing Conclave does is make it so that your councilors can potentially try to shoot down your decisions and are constantly struggling for more powers to be devolved to them. It's actually easier to manage the council as a smaller lord, since your most powerful vassals are baronies and you can safely ignore their demand to be put on the council in favor of sticking the highly skilled and/or yesmen on there to do your bidding. Either way, though, it shouldn't make it THAT much more difficult to expand.

However, what the free patch that came with Conclave added was threat and defensive pacts, where if you conquer a bunch of land at once the neighboring lords freak out and form a defensive alliance against you that only disbands when threat gets low enough. That might be what you're talking about.

• Locked thread