Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

HiredGun posted:

At this point is it safe to assume that there will never be an iPhone X update for Inbox?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/15/apple-require-new-apps-support-iphone-x/

All new apps must, there is no deadline for existing apps to update but eventually if you don't compile with iPhone X support you will not be able to submit updates to the App Store.

I'm not familiar with Inbox but if it's a going concern and not just an outdated app that is sticking around because there is someone around to pay the dev fee, eventually they will have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Once the new desktop Gmail experience came out with snoozing built in, I switched 100% to Gmail on my desktop and iOS away from Inbox.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

HiredGun posted:

At this point is it safe to assume that there will never be an iPhone X update for Inbox?

https://twitter.com/pierce/status/989137596302344192

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I honestly wouldn't have been shocked if Google simply abandoned Inbox.

As it is, I don't think the snooze function in Gmail really does the same thing. I like only getting notifications for important emails, and Inbox is really good at figuring out which those are. (Outlook has a similar function, I believe, but I'm still hesitant to give my Google credentials to a third party.)

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

HiredGun posted:

If you used Inbox because it most closely matched the unparalleled Mailbox the spiritual successor to that, Spark, is also really good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LPG Giant posted:

If you used Inbox because it most closely matched the unparalleled Mailbox the spiritual successor to that, Spark, is also really good.

Ugh thanks for reminding me how good Mailbox was

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LPG Giant posted:

I'm giving this a shot and it seems really nice. Thanks for the rec!

(The built-in calendar kinda sucks, but I use Fantastical, anyway, so nbd.)

Also I wish the black background was actually black.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://support.apple.com/iphone-out-of-warranty-battery-replacement-credit

quote:

Apple is offering a $50 credit to customers who paid for an out-of-warranty battery replacement for iPhone 6 or later devices between January 1, 2017 and December 28, 2017. Eligible battery replacements were completed at an Apple authorized service location — Apple Store, Apple Repair Center, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

The credit will be provided as an electronic funds transfer or a credit on the credit card used to pay for the battery replacement service.

Eligible customers will be contacted by Apple via email between May 23, 2018 and July 27, 2018 with instructions on how to obtain the credit.

If you have not received an email from Apple by August 1, 2018, but believe you are eligible for a credit based on the terms above, please contact Apple by December 31, 2018. Note that proof of service at an Apple authorized service location may be required.

Additional information

In-warranty iPhone battery replacements are not eligible for this credit.

On December 28, 2017, Apple announced a price reduction on the out-of-warranty battery replacement price for iPhone 6 or later devices, effective through the end of 2018.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
And for once the U.K. is in on the action with a £54 credit. I’m pretty sure my replacement was in March 2017 so I’ll be looking forward to that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thank gently caress. I had mine replaced like a month before they announced the replacement program. When I contacted them to see if I can get a credit on the difference, they told me to get hosed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Indeed, this might have something to do with Inbox's woes:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/how-google-inbox-shares-70-of-its-code-across-android-ios-and-the-web/

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Apple refused to pro rata refund my battery replacement a few months ago but I’ll ask again. Thanks!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

bigis posted:

Apple refused to pro rata refund my battery replacement a few months ago but I’ll ask again. Thanks!

Why?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Apple’s previous policy was to refund only if you paid for a replacement shortly before they announced the cheap replacement price.

It appears they’ve now extended the refund period.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was eligible for an upgrade so I upgraded to the X tonight. Holy poo poo, this bezel (or lack thereof) :stare:

I've only had it for a few hours, so I'm still getting used to all the new gestures and the lack of a home button, but so far navigating it feels snappier than my 7+.

I ordered a Spigen case from Amazon (the slim one like I had on my last phone), but I still need to order a wireless charger pad.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

iPhone X is cool and good as-is wireless charging

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Jumping from an S7 to a 7+ was only painful because I lost the wireless charging.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Qi portable batteries are a good solution to the problem of "charging your phone while using wired headphones" that Apple has created. I bought a 37 Wh Qi battery off Amazon, and it was useful on a recent trip. The biggest drawback right now is that none of the Qi batteries can be charged via USB-C.

And this is a good tip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwxPP5fotY

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Godzilla07 posted:

Qi portable batteries are a good solution to the problem of "charging your phone while using wired headphones" that Apple has created. I bought a 37 Wh Qi battery off Amazon, and it was useful on a recent trip. The biggest drawback right now is that none of the Qi batteries can be charged via USB-C.

How the heck does that work? Duct tape your phone to it?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The control center Wifi toggle in iOS 11 is supposed to "disconnect nearby wifi until tomorrow". Meaning if, say, I toggle off the Wifi as I leave work, it should still automatically connect to my home Wifi when I get home. However, I've never had any luck with getting this to consistently work. Even if I toggle off Wifi when I am not connected to any access points, it still almost never reconnects to anything without me having to toggle it back on. This is annoying because there is no point to the toggle not being a true on/off switch if this feature doesn't work. Any one else experiencing this? How does it decide what is "nearby"?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LPG Giant posted:

I just downloaded Spark cause I’m looking for a new email app. One of the things I need is to be able to save an email as a pdf, which for some reason Mail.app doesn’t let you do (in fact Mail.app doesn’t appear to have any share/export feature). I’ve heard lots of great things about Outlook but I’m fairly sure it also doesn’t let me save to pdf, but worse of all it doesn’t let me connect to cloud storage. Like it literally doesn’t even let me connect to Microsoft’s own OneDrive—there’s simply no option for it.

I like that Spark has a “save to pdf” and “connect to Dropbox/Files/whatever” buttons. What I don’t like though is that right now I’m logged on to one of my email accounts (exchange) on my laptop and I can see there’s a new unread email, and on my iPad in Outlook it shows a new unread email, but in Spark it tells me everything has been seen. If I can’t rely on an email client to show me emails then that’s kind of a big problem.

e: I’m gonna use Spark for another week or so but now I’m manually checking Outlook.app to make sure I didn’t miss any emails which is really inconvenient. I hope it’s just a one time error. The other thing I don’t like about Spark is that it seems to be … free. Free is good but in today’s world where even duplicate picture finder costs a subscription I just don’t understand how Spark is free. What’s the catch you know? They get access to scanning my email content for ad placement?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 25, 2018

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

The other thing I don’t like about Spark is that it seems to be … free. Free is good but in today’s world where even duplicate picture finder costs a subscription I just don’t understand how Spark is free. What’s the catch you know? They get access to scanning my email content for ad placement?

Your data: https://sparkmailapp.com/privacy

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Godzilla07 posted:

And this is a good tip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwxPP5fotY

Or if you’re spending money to fix the problem, just get Bluetooth headphones that can be used even when on the go where Qi charging would be problematic?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

What part of their privacy policy states that they sell your data?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

quote:

INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE THIS INFORMATION

Email content while using Spark Services

:wtc: they are able to collect the actual content of my emails?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You put data through someone's server they are implicitly collecting everything. That's what a server does.

If you don't want them to be able to read it, encrypt it or don't send it to them.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
If you want timely email notifications your options are the built-in mail client or putting it through someone's server since iOS will only occasionally allow apps to do processing in the background. Additionally, if the app isn't by the same company that holds your email (like Gmail), you're also allowing them keep your username and unencrypted password on their servers to retrieve your mail.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

You put data through someone's server they are implicitly collecting everything. That's what a server does.

If you don't want them to be able to read it, encrypt it or don't send it to them.

I thought Spark was an email client. An email client shouldn’t act as a middleman(/server) between the client and my email account.

fordan posted:

If you want timely email notifications your options are the built-in mail client or putting it through someone's server since iOS will only occasionally allow apps to do processing in the background. Additionally, if the app isn't by the same company that holds your email (like Gmail), you're also allowing them keep your username and unencrypted password on their servers to retrieve your mail.

So all email apps except for the default Mail.app needs to log into my email account for me to be able to push notifications? I guess I’m stuck using the default Mail then if that’s true.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 25, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought Spark was an email client. An email client shouldn’t act as a middleman(/server) between the client and my email account.

A lot of them do these days if you want push notifications (Airmail, Spark, EdisonMail). Basically they cache your credentials and constantly pull email. When a new one shows up, they use Apple’s push notification API to alert you.

It’s a real issue from an InfoSec point of view, and makes BYOB a real loving headache.

Read your IT policies, using one of these apps could be grounds for termination since it could fall under “credential sharing”. I know we’re supposed to only use either the default Mail.app or iOS Outlook for our work email.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

A lot of them do these days if you want push notifications (Airmail, Spark, EdisonMail). Basically they cache your credentials and constantly pull email. When a new one shows up, they use Apple’s push notification API to alert you.

That might explain why I said that Outlook.app and the webmail website showed I had a new message but Spark said no messages then.

Anyway thanks, I’m gonna continue in the iOS app thread.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The control center Wifi toggle in iOS 11 is supposed to "disconnect nearby wifi until tomorrow". Meaning if, say, I toggle off the Wifi as I leave work, it should still automatically connect to my home Wifi when I get home. However, I've never had any luck with getting this to consistently work. Even if I toggle off Wifi when I am not connected to any access points, it still almost never reconnects to anything without me having to toggle it back on. This is annoying because there is no point to the toggle not being a true on/off switch if this feature doesn't work. Any one else experiencing this? How does it decide what is "nearby"?

That is how it's supposed to work. However, I've noticed about a 50% chance of it connecting to my wifi when I get home if I toggle it at work, much like what you are saying. I also have to constantly go in and re-enable it manually in the control panel. I live a good 20 miles from work as well, so it's not like the two locations are similar at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mine used to reconnect to my home WiFi no problem but ever since 11.3.1 it’s stopped 😰

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s a real issue from an InfoSec point of view, and makes BYOB a real loving headache.

Read your IT policies, using one of these apps could be grounds for termination since it could fall under “credential sharing”. I know we’re supposed to only use either the default Mail.app or iOS Outlook for our work email.

I work in academia and I can’t even tell you how many colleagues just forward all their email to Gmail. Multiply this across disciplines and universities and add in all the people using random 3rd party email clients just because they don’t know any better, and there are so many FERPA violations happening it’s insane.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Recently my phone has been acting weird with wireless charging. It’s like it stops charging for a second and then vibrates that it is charging again. Only does it on my charging pads at home, my Anker dock one at work is fine. I changed out the micro usb cord on the home pad (I’ve had two different pads plugged in to the cord) and we will see if that fixes it. I have another Anker one on order since I like that one better anyway. Anybody else experience something like this?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Could be a case issue. Any sort of metallic can fuss with it. One might just have better or more coils so has better “contacts”

Assuming you’re using a case...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Recently my phone has been acting weird with wireless charging. It’s like it stops charging for a second and then vibrates that it is charging again. Only does it on my charging pads at home, my Anker dock one at work is fine. I changed out the micro usb cord on the home pad (I’ve had two different pads plugged in to the cord) and we will see if that fixes it. I have another Anker one on order since I like that one better anyway. Anybody else experience something like this?

Which qi chargers are you having issues with?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have the Goon Approved saddle brown case. I have two different Qi pucks, one is a Belkin and the other is a no name thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s probably just lovely chargers. Switch to the Anker ones and you should be fine.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Eh, people in the thread have had iPhone 8 and X randomly stop wirelessly charging. I mean, I did, and others said "me too". Not like that though. It just failed to recognize the charger, wouldn't charge and a reboot fixed it. Just some weird software bug. I haven't experienced it recently though.

But cycling ... that's not the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I got a wireless charge pad (an Anker) and connected it to a 2.4A charger, but I charged my X with it for the first time last night and it went ridiculously slow. It's a cool feature, but is there a way to wirelessly charge as fast as I can plugged in with a lightning cable on a 2.4A charger?

Should I have gotten a better charge pad or something?