Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

A pro read. I look forward to the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jonny 290 posted:

gig economy status:

i just signed up to be a Lime Juicer

compensation is ~12 bucks USD for each scooter recharge

downside: have to pick up between 8 and midnight, and redistribute between 5-7 AM

IDK if i'll ever do it, but less than a month of a couple scooters a night would net me enough to buy my own

or you can just steal one and replace their custom electronics with OEM parts...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm a lovely thief and have the paper to prove it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
besides the lime s units are nerfed crippled 250w garbo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they pay real money not scooter credit?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
most of them are rebranded Xiaomi scooters.

of course you can download firmware hacks that retune the ESC to increase the top speed and acceleration

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

could you wrap these things in some kind of em blocking foil to gently caress with the gps and then have yourself a nice electric scooter?

in austin we just throw them in the river/lake

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jonny 290 posted:

gig economy status:

i just signed up to be a Lime Juicer

compensation is ~12 bucks USD for each scooter recharge

downside: have to pick up between 8 and midnight, and redistribute between 5-7 AM

IDK if i'll ever do it, but less than a month of a couple scooters a night would net me enough to buy my own

the tech bubble is coming from inside the thread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they pay real money not scooter credit?

yep, punch in DL and ACH info and they deposit every 30 days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
On the other hand, the used market is incredibly high depreciation, and i'm going tomorrow to look at a 450w scooter with new batteries for $130, retails for $400ish

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

all this time I thought these companies were leasing like real scooters - like Italian style small mopeds. lmao it’s those kids toys with a motor stuck on it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

On the other hand, the used market is incredibly high depreciation, and i'm going tomorrow to look at a 450w scooter with new batteries for $130, retails for $400ish

have you tried an electric bicycle yet ?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I haven't tried a big wheel ebike yet. they intrigue me too but man, they're large. the 20" folders look good tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they come in both pedal assist and throttle models. the throttle type is cheap, but really quite frightening to ride.

the pedal assist is rad as hell

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

yep, punch in DL and ACH info and they deposit every 30 days

drat thats better than citibike

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/04/hacking-the-citi-bike-points-system

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

a pro click

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
carry a tiny razr for the deadheads back and i bet he could double his rate and halve his knee wear

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they come in both pedal assist and throttle models. the throttle type is cheap, but really quite frightening awesome to ride.

FTFY :c00lbutt:

I built an e-bike for Mr Ozzy a few months ago using a Bafang BB kit and it's the best. The stupid thing will wheelie if you jam the throttle in the lowest gear, I'm ~190lbs and can't get enough weight over the front wheel to stop it.

On the flip side the pedal assist is dumb as a bag of rocks, and if you have it turned up too high whilst trying to make a tight u-turn for example, it's entirely possible for it to get carried away and pitch you off the back like some sort of spooked electro-mechanical horse.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah. I rode a lime one in San Diego and it was fun as hell. Tried to grab a lime electric bike here recently and it had a dead battery :(.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Leck posted:

at least we still have time to achieve the future of sealab 2021

Just give him the drat beans

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The thing with Bike Angels is that you get some neat perks in a month if you check the map and walk a few extra blocks, but you can't make actual money at it.

Even if you were to poopsock the membership extensions and had a good circuit, it comes out to like $2-3/hr in discounts. The people getting thousands of points a month are doing soley for OCD "number go up!" Skinner box reasons. As Skinner boxes go though, it's at least healther than every mmo and f2p game so.. :shrug:

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the pedal assist is rad as hell

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mrmcd posted:

The thing with Bike Angels is that you get some neat perks in a month if you check the map and walk a few extra blocks, but you can't make actual money at it.

Even if you were to poopsock the membership extensions and had a good circuit, it comes out to like $2-3/hr in discounts. The people getting thousands of points a month are doing soley for OCD "number go up!" Skinner box reasons. As Skinner boxes go though, it's at least healther than every mmo and f2p game so.. :shrug:

yeah it's more like a way to get exercise while doing something with a quasi-purpose

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, like one of the people in that article is an ultramarathoner who probably makes it part of his routine: do a segment on a bike, run back to the other rack, etc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Leck posted:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Leck posted:

now who's ready to beat some rear end

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

have you tried an electric bicycle yet ?

i've tried a pedal assist ebike and i wasn't expecting to be impressed but holy moly those things are great. right now i'm trying to save money because i'm in the middle of buying a place but once things are back to normal i'll probably get one

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
how do the accelerators work on those things? little trigger?

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
What the gently caress

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

President Beep posted:

how do the accelerators work on those things? little trigger?

it basically adds power whenever you're pedaling so you feel like you have super-strength

then there's the throttle models which have an actual trigger. at that point you basically have an electric moped

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PyPy posted:

What the gently caress

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

i've tried a pedal assist ebike and i wasn't expecting to be impressed but holy moly those things are great. right now i'm trying to save money because i'm in the middle of buying a place but once things are back to normal i'll probably get one

e-bikes loving own, so much fun

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1000560168608980993

:allears:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ol musky going for the meltdown may high score

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
saw this earlier today

fancy rims for a car that can’t actually go to the track

it had matching seats too, except the child’s car seat in back

(it also wasn’t even a D series)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FrozenVent posted:

I just remembered that science fiction show Seaquest DSV took place in 2018.

it wasn’t a great show and it was 90’s as gently caress but man that future was cooler than what we got

i heard that whenever they showed code for stuff it was Lisp because it looked futuristic

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
it is.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

it basically adds power whenever you're pedaling so you feel like you have super-strength

then there's the throttle models which have an actual trigger. at that point you basically have an electric moped

the pedal assist units are very natural and pleasant to ride

the throttle models are loving terrifying. it has the power of a low-end motorcycle, but with the handling and braking capacity of a wal-mart bicycle. it is really, really unpleasant

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

saw this earlier today

fancy rims for a car that can’t actually go to the track

it had matching seats too, except the child’s car seat in back

(it also wasn’t even a D series)

those are like $500 tires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi