Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Libluini posted:

I also found some weird space-time rift and chose to keep it under close surveillance.

It belched out tons of minerals and then closed, giving a small permanent bonus to physics for that location. Are there other outcomes? I kind of expected something dangerous to come through, but getting several thousand minerals this early in the game was neat, too. :shrug:

I got that same thing and was also waiting endlessly for some AHA TRAP SPRUNG moment.

maybe the implied risk in the decision to keep in under surveillance is what leads to the good result? Unless there's another outcome it's just an insanely good event in the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of hyperlanes, we should be able to build our own as endgame tech. I assume hyperlanes are areas that are cleared of debris, no black holes, etc to get in the way of travel, maybe have some kind of colossal project to clear a path between stars. I'm sure the AI would have an aneurysm recalculating routes though.

I'm pretty sure node based pathfinding is extremely efficient nowadays. It's basically A* derivatives all the way down isn't it?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm trying to get a robotic ascendency for my fanatic materialists but I can't get the droid tech to pop and it's almost 2300. I started with the civic that gives you robots at the start of the game if that influences anything

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So on my last couple test games to check out 2.1 I noticed some oddities in the map generation.
-First of all I like the new general map script, like that there's blobs connected by chokepoints, sometimes it gets weird but it's mostly good.
-There seems to be more room for space dragons and voidspawn and all those beasties, which is nice.
-I set the map to 2 fallen empires, I only got 1.
-I set the map to 2 raiders, I only got 1.
-I set the map to 0.5 wormholes and 2x gates but only got a single gate pair in the whole galaxy vs 6 wormholes.
-By the time 2500 rolled around I had never gotten great khan, single fallen empire never woke, and no crisis either. What are the chances all 3 rolled to not happen? It feels like something went wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I noticed for some reason it didn't generate any fallen empires in my game which was odd.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Got only 1 FE out of 4 I set up. In that same game I got two Marauders next to each other - one of them Khaned out, conquered absolutely nothing and reverted back into marauders afterwards.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have only one game so far, but I got the three Fallen Empires that I set up in game generation :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I always set all five and always get all five! Yay!

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Last time I did the worm in waiting, the species change event gave me a different ethos. This time it just put all my pops into a militarist faction but left my ethos as pacifist with inward perfection still intact...now everyone is mad because I can’t change my war policy to unrestricted. Bug?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Nightgull posted:

Last time I did the worm in waiting, the species change event gave me a different ethos. This time it just put all my pops into a militarist faction but left my ethos as pacifist with inward perfection still intact...now everyone is mad because I can’t change my war policy to unrestricted. Bug?

No, you need to embrace militarism to avoid your people getting mad at their hippy government.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never messed with the worm but I stuck my toe in this time for once. Just enough to get spooped and get the spiral feed power hubs. They are very useful because you can't built power hubs on habitats, but you can build spiral feed's. Also loop institute is very good.

I just killed the guy trying to de-evolve my race and left it at there, seems to be no downside other than some drug addicted depressed scientists. I didn't know you could just go half-way and get some rad buildings but not go all the way and gently caress up your homeworld and species.

Modding question:
Is there a way to make it so FE's always do something eventually, and the raiders always get a khan at some point? As I understand it, rolls for great khan only happen once the mid-game is triggered, but stops once its officially the late game. So if they didn't do anything between those dates, they never will?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I had the same thing happen, I'm a fanatic xenophile pacifist and can't go to war, the worm turned a bunch of my dudes into military dudes, but only like... 10% of my total population, since I'm a big xenophile love-in of every race in the galaxy plus citizen synths.

My dudes aren't even that into pacifism, but I can't embrace anyone because my empire has so much +ethics attraction toward xenophile that it accounts for like 79% of my population.

However, if you build the Pacifist colossus, you can just bottle every single world in the enemy empire and then any system you've got war control of just reverts to you when they disappear. Also, bonus you get a ton of +10 society research bottle worlds.

Bottling worlds also makes people concede wars real loving quick-like. The awakened FE started some poo poo while I was trying to deal with the contingency so I just popped over and stuck their homeworld in a bottle and they shut it up.

You can just bottle all the contingency worlds too. There's even a custom text popup for it. Bottle everyone.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Spanish Matlock posted:

You can just bottle all the contingency worlds too. There's even a custom text popup for it. Bottle everyone.

You don't get to harvest the Living Metal from them if you do this, so don't do this if you haven't got Living Metal yet.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
Trip report from 2.1: Seems OK. The new hyperlane clusters are interesting. I'll probably like them more at 1.25 linkages. One unintended consequence is how this nerfs border friction since there can only be border friction along hyperline connections. This encourages NAP hugfests which are already too frequent and which I hate. I modded friction to 30 instead of 10. But in a lot of cases there is still only one connection between empires and i may need to mod it higher for my satisfaction.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Baronjutter posted:

I've never messed with the worm but I stuck my toe in this time for once. Just enough to get spooped and get the spiral feed power hubs. They are very useful because you can't built power hubs on habitats, but you can build spiral feed's. Also loop institute is very good.

I just killed the guy trying to de-evolve my race and left it at there, seems to be no downside other than some drug addicted depressed scientists. I didn't know you could just go half-way and get some rad buildings but not go all the way and gently caress up your homeworld and species.

You can also go all the way to the end and then kill the poo poo out of it. That's how orcs deal with time paradoxes! :black101:

I love the Authoritarian responses when it calls for your scientists. "Well, it asked politely. Send him in!"

Spanish Matlock posted:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I had the same thing happen, I'm a fanatic xenophile pacifist and can't go to war, the worm turned a bunch of my dudes into military dudes, but only like... 10% of my total population, since I'm a big xenophile love-in of every race in the galaxy plus citizen synths.

My dudes aren't even that into pacifism, but I can't embrace anyone because my empire has so much +ethics attraction toward xenophile that it accounts for like 79% of my population.

However, if you build the Pacifist colossus, you can just bottle every single world in the enemy empire and then any system you've got war control of just reverts to you when they disappear. Also, bonus you get a ton of +10 society research bottle worlds.

Bottling worlds also makes people concede wars real loving quick-like. The awakened FE started some poo poo while I was trying to deal with the contingency so I just popped over and stuck their homeworld in a bottle and they shut it up.

I've yet to play with a colossus as the game is usually very much decided by then, but can you ever un-bottle a world? Like give a race a time-out then let their worlds out once they've learned their lesson?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I've yet to play with a colossus as the game is usually very much decided by then, but can you ever un-bottle a world? Like give a race a time-out then let their worlds out once they've learned their lesson?

No. Shielded planets are essentially another type of uninhabitable world, and the game promptly forgets any details of what the planet previously was. The only shielded planets you can remove a shield from are the kind you find in Fallen Empires.

Wiz has stated that this was because it would have taken too much event coding to allow unshielding worlds.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is it possible to have multiple L-gates in a universe leading to different little chunks? So far on every medium map I've played there's only ever been 1 L-gate and it's never near me so that's kind of a pain for enjoying the new feature.
Feels like there's certainly some map-generation bugs out there, what with asking for 3 FE's and only getting 1. It feels like maybe players are placed first, FE's last, so if there's no room for them they just don't get added.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So nearing the end of my first playthrough.

- Never had a real midgame crisis. I had 3 separate Marauder Empires but they all seemed to bug out? I hired one twice in a row on accident and it let me, which I assumed meant two fleets. Nope, after that point any time anyone would hire them they'd just instantly retreat. When we finally cleared them out, we got a "Two huge fleets are coming for you!" message that went nowhere, as no fleets showed. The other two Marauder Empires basically had the same thing go down. Never saw or heard from a Khan.

- Never had a real endgame crisis. I opened the L Gates well past midgame with a pretty kitted out little fleet ( my fleet strength was 30k, my Fed fleet strength was 50k. ). Just finishing that event up now, my average fleet strength is 50k, my Fed fleet strength is 120k. I'm getting most/all of the endgame techs and most of my stuff is r5 now. Starting to eyeball the Fallen Empire near me as it's no longer Overwhelming and I think I could beat it with the Federation Fleets.

Had a lot of fun, going to go back after I finish this game up, but I get the feeling something might be bugged with mid/endgame event triggers, since I had it set to default values.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I thought all L-gates led to the same Cluster?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rookersh posted:

So nearing the end of my first playthrough.

- Never had a real midgame crisis. I had 3 separate Marauder Empires but they all seemed to bug out? I hired one twice in a row on accident and it let me, which I assumed meant two fleets. Nope, after that point any time anyone would hire them they'd just instantly retreat. When we finally cleared them out, we got a "Two huge fleets are coming for you!" message that went nowhere, as no fleets showed. The other two Marauder Empires basically had the same thing go down. Never saw or heard from a Khan.

- Never had a real endgame crisis. I opened the L Gates well past midgame with a pretty kitted out little fleet ( my fleet strength was 30k, my Fed fleet strength was 50k. ). Just finishing that event up now, my average fleet strength is 50k, my Fed fleet strength is 120k. I'm getting most/all of the endgame techs and most of my stuff is r5 now. Starting to eyeball the Fallen Empire near me as it's no longer Overwhelming and I think I could beat it with the Federation Fleets.

Had a lot of fun, going to go back after I finish this game up, but I get the feeling something might be bugged with mid/endgame event triggers, since I had it set to default values.

It's been like this since 2.0 and I'm sad great khans and other crisis still feel bugged out. So many times when a FE does wake up but does nothing, or a great khan does nothing too. These dynamic events are almost the only thing Stellaris has going for it so it's always so disappointing when you slog through all that tile management hoping for "something" to happen, but nothing ever does.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The L-Cluster is intended as a midgame crisis, not an endgame one.

Baronjutter posted:

Is it possible to have multiple L-gates in a universe leading to different little chunks?
Base Distant Stars will spawn 1 to 10 L-Gates in the galaxy, all leading to the same cluster, but it's super-easy for modders to replicate the functionality and create their own extra-galactic clusters and special gateway networks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ok, contingency is about to fire up in my game. How do I shut the loving breathing noise off, it's so stupid and annoying.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm getting a bug where newly contacted empires often trigger the "new contact" event several times. And it gives me influence for each time. It's a bit silly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nordick posted:

I'm getting a bug where newly contacted empires often trigger the "new contact" event several times. And it gives me influence for each time. It's a bit silly.

Silly but satisfying

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LordMune posted:

The L-Cluster is intended as a midgame crisis, not an endgame one.

Base Distant Stars will spawn 1 to 10 L-Gates in the galaxy, all leading to the same cluster, but it's super-easy for modders to replicate the functionality and create their own extra-galactic clusters and special gateway networks.

I always play with max ai because I want more of an EU experience with most of the map pre-populated, but since 2.1 this seems to result in fallen empires being squeezed out and only ever 1 L-gate. It would be nice if the map settings simply forced the stated numbers in, even if it means some awkward jammed-in placement.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Ok, contingency is about to fire up in my game. How do I shut the loving breathing noise off, it's so stupid and annoying.

You don't.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Nordick posted:

Yah me too. I'm still not sure if it's a mod? I wasn't quite able to isolate it. I updated a couple of mods and I had less of this problem afterwards.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The multiple contact bug was around before this last dlc/patch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is anyone else getting hosed up numbers for defense stations? Any time I upgrade or order new stations built they'll show something like 57/9 stations. The actual cap seems to work, but it's displaying very wrong. Still getting negative countdowns for station construction too. The bar is correct, but the numbers will show like -23/320

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Okay, that's good, but for real. What option or file do I delete to get rid of it. Is there a mod to stop it. It's cute for like, the initial part of the crisis, but then it never goes away again.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Zane posted:

Yah me too. I'm still not sure if it's a mod? I wasn't quite able to isolate it. I updated a couple of mods and I had less of this problem afterwards.

I get this in vanilla when I meet a new empire via trading communications.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Okay, that's good, but for real. What option or file do I delete to get rid of it. Is there a mod to stop it. It's cute for like, the initial part of the crisis, but then it never goes away again.

You can turn ambient noise down or off in the sound options.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Wiz or Mune, any chance we could get a cute avian portrait like a rowi kiwi lookalike in the forseeable future? I really liked the cuties pack (especially when horribly mismatched with sinister ideologies), but the avian species group that I am otherwise quite fond of doesn't really have anything that fits the bill.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Currently going into observer mode doesn't show the hyperlanes, is there a way around this? I'm playing with map settings and trying to figure out what leads to what.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Click on any space monster (or any 'yellow' ship) and the network should reveal itself since all monsters seem to have the galaxy mapped out from the start.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Click on any space monster (or any 'yellow' ship) and the network should reveal itself since all monsters seem to have the galaxy mapped out from the start.

Ah thanks!
I've never played around with anything map-based and my modding knowledge is pretty limited. Really trying to figure out what's forcing the galaxy to see so sparse and open yet not allowing fallen empires to spawn. I'm guessing there's some new rules about minimum distances between empires/fallen empires but I can't seem to find where that would be. I'd ideally love to remove any limits so you can cram in as much stuff as the sliders allow. Start wedged between a fallen empire, marauder, and enigmatic fortress? Tough poo poo, that's what random means.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before:

Is there a general guide on how to best start after 2.0? I gave it a shot when Apocalypse came out, decided a Tomb World species would be fun, but it seemed like the resources around me weren't great, and research seemed like it would take way longer than I was used to (48 to 60 months for some of the starting stuff?)

I was trying to figure out how fast to expand but then that sort of thing would blow out my research even more. And I didn't know if my start was normal or unusual.

e:

That's what my initial setup looked like - I had no idea if that was normal or crap.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 27, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

bewilderment posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before:

Is there a general guide on how to best start after 2.0? I gave it a shot when Apocalypse came out, decided a Tomb World species would be fun, but it seemed like the resources around me weren't great, and research seemed like it would take way longer than I was used to (48 to 60 months for some of the starting stuff?)

I was trying to figure out how fast to expand but then that sort of thing would blow out my research even more. And I didn't know if my start was normal or unusual.

e:

That's what my initial setup looked like - I had no idea if that was normal or crap.

So, I don't have a super hard-and-fast setup, but this is a generally strong start I enjoy.

First off, spend 90 minerals on your mineral mining station (+2 or +3), spend another 100 on the monument/temple structure for +unity.
Don't start surveying yet, but do explore adjacent systems so if pirates spawn there your fleets are able to jump to them.
If you have high mineral generation (slaves or a lot of +mineral racial/civics) then you can get the +energy and +research, otherwise just stockpile minerals.
Once you unlock your first tradition, open discovery. Then activate the "Map the Stars" edict, and start surveying. Leave anomalies for when you can afford a second science ship (100 minerals, 200 energy; shouldn't take extremely long to afford). When Map the Stars runs out you probably *don't* want to reactivate it, unless you have a glut of influence from somewhere.

After this prioritize mineral stations, take energy stations as you need (you can also get the trading hub at your starting starbase for 100 minerals and +4 energy), research stations as you're able to afford them.

If you check your starting planet, you'll have at least 1 tile with +2 minerals (probably blocked). Opening that tile and building a mine (shift a pop off energy or food should be fine) can help especially if you're not a strong mineral start. You should be able to afford this after finishing your starting +unity building.

In general you're aiming at purely pushing for minerals until you're at +30. Grab research stations once you're waiting on influence, grab energy as needed or once you've filled the rest and are influence gated.

Sometime around year 7 or 8 you should be able to start fitting in some corvettes, work up to 6-8 corvettes for the first pirate spawn.

Your first ascension perk should probably be the +10% research. It is boring, but the other options are all either not useful or marginally useful at that point in the game (+edict length maybe the next strongest, but you're still at the full-tilt expansion phase of the game so you don't really have spare influence anyways).

edit: research: you have 2 of the best tech options, the +2 unity and +5% minerals, the other one to look for is the +5% research speed from blue. My early tech priority is options that cost 0 minerals for bonuses (like the other mentioned ones). Combat computers and corvette hp are pretty big boosts to corvette strength so those are great if you're not sure. Improved buildings are pretty low on the early tech list, as just building stations is going to tie up your resources for a while.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is your name-list changing on you a known bug? All my humans had human-sounding names but now they all have silly alien names.