Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

M42 posted:

I did my first ever single track yesterday! My only dirt experience is a cornerspin weekend. I didn't actually know this was gonna be a singletrack ride so the first circuit I did was pants making GBS threads, especially since all my friends bailed and I had no one to follow/get advice from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLWAMJVntSo

This was my last run, the dirt was churned up and dried out so it was basically deep sand in a lot of spots and I was super tired. I'm slow af, using my feet a lot, have no idea what to do with ruts or bumpy downhills. I had a loving blast. Super sore. Can't wait to go again.

e: the second person I stop by is a badass motherfucker with a prosthetic leg

With the ruts, bumpy stuff, and really everything, just stand up more. And if you’re gonna sit down sit as far forward as possible. Sitting back like that is definitely gonna gently caress you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah my rear end is definitely telling me I did that poo poo wrong, lmao. I have a hard time sitting far up front, not sure why, it was an issue at cornerspin too. The rear end end of the bike just feels completely unbalanced, uncontrollable, and weird if I do it. I'm sure it's the 5 years of street/track speaking.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Yeah my rear end is definitely telling me I did that poo poo wrong, lmao. I have a hard time sitting far up front, not sure why, it was an issue at cornerspin too. The rear end end of the bike just feels completely unbalanced, uncontrollable, and weird if I do it. I'm sure it's the 5 years of street/track speaking.

Have you watched all the cross training enduro videos? That’s really the answer to all off road riding.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nope! Gonna check em out, thanks!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

suhweet

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Local moto is back!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Finished turning the $50 CR85RB that came to me in the form of two buckets and a frame into a running bike, surprisingly few parts missing. Runs great and really likes to remind you that the clutch is the throttle on our bumpy track.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is there any point to knee braces vs knee guards like the ones i have

this is for trail riding

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Razzled posted:

is there any point to knee braces vs knee guards like the ones i have

Braces are for rotation protection for dem knee ligaments. I often wonder myself if four velcro straps is really enough to do anything about that kind of injury.

I think if you have a weakness or pain associated with rotation, they're worth money. If you don't they just rip holes in your pants and rub-off your graphics.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
4 straps is clearly better than 3 as pictured.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Bieks

WR250 is currently in sumo mode. Will have to swap back to dirt once the XS650 runs again. Also the CR85 is my first babbie two stroke :angel:

kloa fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 9, 2018

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

My buddy Tom (1295) benefited from a first turn pile-up on sunday. I was supposed to be in that pile-up but I ate poo poo on Wednesday being too cool. Maybe next weekend?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

My buddy Tom (1295) benefited from a first turn pile-up on sunday. I was supposed to be in that pile-up but I ate poo poo on Wednesday being too cool. Maybe next weekend?

Throwback to last year when I asked you how you were looking forward to Tom beating you this year. :hellyeah:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

Throwback to last year when I asked you how you were looking forward to Tom beating you this year. :hellyeah:

I promised Tom I'd take him out in the first corner, alas, that did not happen. God stepped in and snapped his shifter and popped his front tube, so he only made 2 laps.

#blessed

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Revalved my buddies suspension last night. He has a '16 yz250f, and he wants more of a woods setup. Here he is examining his main valve stack:

I also removed the internal lowering kit from my girlfriends yz250FX. Here's the cartridge post op waiting to be bled:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Servicing forks isn't hard but knowing what to change is the art. Do you work from a guide or estimates & experience?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

Servicing forks isn't hard but knowing what to change is the art. Do you work from a guide or estimates & experience?

When everyone around you has a yamaha it makes it a lot easier. I have the shim stacks mapped out for '16 and '17 YZ250F '15 and '17 YZ250FX, '16 and '18 YZ250X and '15 and '18 WR250F. I can interpolate based on what I want to achieve.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Tom made a vidya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCX-CzD5olc

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Girlfriend ripped the holeshot on Sunday:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

what

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are those instructions to chase James Bond?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogCTonrtlvQ&t=216s

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Well, how was it?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

Well, how was it?

GOD DAMNIT TOM

EDIT: last column is final score

It was really fun actually. My collarbone/sternum interface on the right side is like 20% better, and it only really started getting bad towards the last 3 checks. That bobsled course is what did it actually. Big whoops = bad for collarbone injuries.

Tom continually got me by about a minute in the early sections, but he slowed down in the later sections. I essentially followed him for 2/3 of the enduro. We passed eachother like 25 times, it was super fun. I'm steady eddie, going a reasonable speed, and Tom is schitzo, going super fast, then crashing, then fast, then off the course, then fast, etc.

I'll post pics when they're up.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 29, 2018

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Tom retells RD 1 of the enduro series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENzXqwVBaZg

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I like Tom. What's he riding?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

'17 250XCF with a rekluse

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Behold, I nearly hit a tree after some exuberance of passing Tom

https://i.imgur.com/bN2bWeD.gifv

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Tom ran into trouble, and we have no idea why

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JB weld it, good to go

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My eBay score Athena YZ144 kit is turning out to be real fun. Finally got the cases trimmed for the piston and the bottom end assembled, measured the squish and figured out which base gasket to use to correct it. (the clear plastic one that was invisible in the packaging)

So then I went to put the other wrist pin circlip in and do final assembly and the wrist pin the eBay seller sent me is slightly too long because it's for a different bike lol. At this point I'm not even surprised, I'm just annoyed I have to wait for one more part to show up. C'est la ebay

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ate poo poo pretty hard coming down a steep Jeep trail. Wanted to transfer from right rut to left rut but forgot to weight the bike properly over the center hump. Traction went one way, the bike went another way, and I went directly at sand.

But holy poo poo my skills are starting to gel. We took a riding class a couple months ago and could only get up to Reiter since then. Last weekend we finally went back up to Walker and I'm riding a gear higher pace pretty consistently everywhere.

I think I'd still like to get a flywheel weight so I don't need to work the clutch so furiously at all times tho.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I'm 1331 in the middle there. Some magician managed to bump me in this corner and completely undo my right boot. I mean, all 5 straps undone. Then I got a flat. Whoops.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 23, 2018

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Spectating the C race a few weeks ago;

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How long does it take to stop wetting yourself on steep declines? Downhill is my kryptonite.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

How long does it take to stop wetting yourself on steep declines? Downhill is my kryptonite.

Just practice locking up the rear and sliding down using the front brake to modulate speed.
I have no idea, I've always liked declines

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

clutchpuck posted:

i would also like to know because anytime there is a descent i'm just brake city, population me

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

i would also like to know because anytime there is a descent i'm just brake city, population me

Front brake. Modulate until just before slide. Or else gun it and go and trust the bike to turn.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I usually just clutch in and coast if it’s really steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Re: down hill. Get comfortable riding fast on flat. I imagine the intimation is due to having less control over acceleration.

Lean back and look further ahead than you normally do. At a faster pace riding the brakes over a long duration over bumps will pack the suspension so don't to that.