Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
just a heads up, dreamforge is having a memorial day sale/stock blowout. their boxes of 28mm ww2 americans and germans are $10 and the soviet box is $8. caveat is the owner is scaling down the business by switching over to resin figures and will no longer be selling plastic kits once theyre out of stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Is anyone else doing memorial day sales?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Warlord is having a 3 for 2 sprue sale and buy a starter army get a free boxed set deal which NWS online is matching. Got a british airborne starter set and box of US airborne for 65 bucks.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Tempted to grab a Soviet box or two in case I find some locals who play CoC.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I picked up some blitzkrieg germans when I was there yesterday for my Sea Lion project.

It's a good deal.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Thundercloud posted:

I picked up some blitzkrieg germans when I was there yesterday for my Sea Lion project.

It's a good deal.

Not if you are in Europe :(

Might pick up some sprues from warlord instead, to top off some units (fallschirmjägers and my french lancers).

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 27, 2018

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Not if you are in Europe :(

Might pick up some sprues from warlord instead, to top off some units (fallschirmjägers and my french lancers).

No I was at Warlord HQ for Antares day. Was really good day out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

just a heads up, dreamforge is having a memorial day sale/stock blowout. their boxes of 28mm ww2 americans and germans are $10 and the soviet box is $8. caveat is the owner is scaling down the business by switching over to resin figures and will no longer be selling plastic kits once theyre out of stock

Scaling down? Boo.

I already have far too many Soviets, but they've been the place I refer everyone to for good, cheap Soviets.

Luftwaffles
Oct 17, 2008
Took advantage of the long weekend to get out the Napoleonics and get a game in. French holding action using Black Powder rules:

The battlefield itself. French start with a brigade of infantry, a battery of artillery, and a brigade of light cavalry on the field (left) with the Anglo-Allies advancing from the right:

A French staff officer scans the horizon for the Allies

The starting French brigade of infantry

The starting French cavalry brigade (1st and 6th Chasseurs)

General de Division Reille and his staff awaiting the battle

The Allies arrive - Dutch in the background, Nassaurs in the foreground:

First shot of the battle - a French battery opens fire on the Nassaurs

The advance of the Nassau brigade

And the Dutch

Some carnage

And reinforcements

I use stuffed animal filler to represent gun smoke - it shows which units have fired and adds to the atmosphere

The bravest of the brave motivating his troops

While HRH The Prince of Orange blunders his way through the battle

More Carnage

We called the game when both French flanks broke with the French center under extreme pressure. We even brought out the meat wagon!

A good example of my stamina bases (white d6) and the individual casualties. The stamina bases follow their units around, while the casualties stay where they fall

Finally, some of my favorite casualty figures and terrain

(he's looting)

Always a blast to play a game of Black Powder!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Dope as hell. Excellent terrain and fantastic models!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Luftwaffles posted:

I use stuffed animal filler to represent gun smoke - it shows which units have fired and adds to the atmosphere

That looks incredible.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Beautiful!!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Look super rad!

I haven't played Black Powder, but I gotta ask: is the table like that big enough for maneuvers, or did Napoleonic Warfare/BP ruleset not support it? It kinda looks like you can basically just charge the enemy and not do much else.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I have never played Napoleonics but that looks like a massive amount of miniatures and not a ton of room to do much of anything but attack head on. It's super aesthetically pleasing to see all the little guys lined up and how awesome the terrain is though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
That's a general 28mm issue. It's good for skirmish games, but once you have large formations on the field, things get clogged up fast.

It's a fantastic looking table though!

Luftwaffles
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, 28mm Napoleonics look the best (in my opinion) but you absolutely run out of space unless playing with a huge gaming table. I use a 12x6 table, and would love to increase to a 16x6 but don't have the space.

The best way to get around the space issue is to use less terrain and to try to stagger the reinforcements to still leave room for maneuver.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
6mm is the best mm.

(I do concede that a nice big 28mm regiment can look fantastic, of course. But being able to play a game of Black Powder with 20-odd units per side on a 6 x 4 table and have it not be crowded at all is also a wonderful thing.)

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
1/72 is fairly alright at avoiding the issue of overcrowding as well. Huge armies will still be huge of course but when you're fitting 3 to 5 men into the size of a single 28mm base it really lets you have a bit more room while still being fine for skirmish stuff with individual models.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
1/72 is a bit bigger than that TBH, but you can fit a lot more in than with 28mm. It's also really cheap but still lets you do individual unit facings etc.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Nah, 3 to 5 in the same amount of space as a standard individual 28mm base is pretty easily doable. It does depend on the base size of your 1/72s of course, but right now I'm looking at some Redbox pishalniki and an old citadel round slotta. 4 fit on comfortably, 6 at a pinch - admittedly, that's something of a best case since the Pishalniki have quite small bases and the slottas are quite large, but in raw footprint you can still easily sit 3 in the same space as a 28mm human. That's quite a dense formation but for large armies of napoleonics etc that's fairly standard anyway so not a huge problem as I see it. When you clip the bases to do unit basing things can definitely change in ratios but that's true of any scale.

Now if only half the models in the scale weren't that godawful PVC that won't hold paint without trouble or really crudely sculpted metals. It's like the perfect compromise between 28mm and the smaller scales - still great detail potential for sculpts and paintjobs (some of the 'artisanal' resin/metals that come out of Valdemar for instance are hella good) at a lower cost and storage/use footprint. But between the material issue and the lack of good fantasy options until recently - plus, limited poses are always a pain - it's a hard sell for a lot of gaming groups, and a lot of historical grogs are real sold on 28mm or 10/15mm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ah, but the 25mm round base is much larger than the 20mm square, which is what you'd normally rank human-sized 28mm figures on. I see what you're doing to make it work. It's not what I'd do for Napoleonics what with wanting to rank stuff up, and for what I actually use 1/72 stuff for they all have individual casualty removal.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That is true, though 3 abreast on a 20mm square is definitely doable packed close. Using those pishalniki again, their basess are around 6-7mm wide, so you can justfit them in 20mm, and if you're double ranking you can up that count. I tend to personally run a little looser since all mine are magnetized bases and it's easier to set up ad hoc if they aren't all crammed super tight - about 10mm horizontal space each in my case - and I also mostly do medievals/transitional period and fantasy rather than napoleonic so tight formation isn't quite as important visually or tactically.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Can you post a couple of pics? I'm struggling to work out how they actually fit on the base right.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'll try and get one tonight, but the trick is to overhang by about 1 1/2mm to compensate for the slope of the base, which isn't a factor when you're using the 1/72s like it is for the 28mms. EDIT: And obviously, different poses create problems. Firing line troops though usually have the right aspect to go 3 on a 20mm base if they've got small or reasonably small bases (or you trim them down accordingly), while melee often have wider stances that flip the base aspect so you'll only get them 2x2 or 3x1 rather than 3x2 on the same space.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 30, 2018

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

https://store.warlordgames.com/coll..._eid=d016ec71b1

Pike and Shotte, Black Powder and Hail Caesar pdfs are free on the Warlord site at the moment.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Thundercloud posted:

Pike and Shotte, Black Powder and Hail Caesar pdfs are free on the Warlord site at the moment.

Thanks! Fortunately the download links come up at the end of the purchase and not just by email, because my Warlord store account points to a defunct email address and there seems to be no way to change it

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 30, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just log out and throw in any email and it works fine.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Thundercloud posted:

Fantastic! It'll be nice to have a searchable pdf on backup when trying to find some of the more fiddly rules, since apparently Warlord Games doesn't know what an index is.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

And now for a grog question. I've started putting together my stuff for Sea Lion, and I've got some Foundry early war german paratroopers.

What's the right uniform colours and associated paints for German paratroopers in the Spring of 1940?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Thundercloud posted:

What's the right uniform colours and associated paints for German paratroopers in the Spring of 1940?

Here's a decent guide.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Can I get head replacements for Warlord plastic WWII brits in European kit? I just heard the argument that I don't need that many of regular dudes, so I'm looking for ways to make them interesting.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Can anyone recommend pre-painted 15mm buildings that won't break the bank? Both modern and WW2, but bonus points for buildings that wouldn't be out of place in either.

Battlefront has a small range, but everyone around here has them, and I'm sick of fighting over the same goddamn not-Pizza Hut. Some variety would be nice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cross postin'

NTRabbit posted:

:gifttank: OATH COMPLETE :gifttank:

The British A9 and A10 cruisers

Five Sherman Vs

Two Sherman V Fireflys, and two M4A3s with the 75 and 76mm turrets

Late war ahoy, Pershing and Comet

Tovarsich, comrade

StuG Lyfe

Big cats doin thangs

Sd.Kfz. 234 with /1, /2 Puma, /3, and /4 Pakwagen options

Also claiming straight edge for the freehand line camouflage on ze Germans

I'll probably stick star and balkenkreuz decals on these at some point, when I actually have some

e: timg tags are not itmg :downs:

Gonna be for Tanks! and What a Tanker, maybe more, we'll see

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

NTRabbit posted:

Cross postin'

Gonna be for Tanks! and What a Tanker, maybe more, we'll see
Nice! I overreached for my oath this month (didn't help that I didn't realise I actually didn't have any Vallejo Brown Violet for my US tonks until it was too late). Oh well, I can do them as rescues. Think I will focus on my Armoured Doughs for June, since I have all the paints for that and the new US infantry box comes out this month.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Geisladisk posted:

Can anyone recommend pre-painted 15mm buildings that won't break the bank? Both modern and WW2, but bonus points for buildings that wouldn't be out of place in either.

Battlefront has a small range, but everyone around here has them, and I'm sick of fighting over the same goddamn not-Pizza Hut. Some variety would be nice.

4ground have an excellent selection of 15mm buildings, both for ww2 and modern eras, and most of the ww2 stuff will work fine in the modern period too.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lupercalcalcal posted:

4ground have an excellent selection of 15mm buildings, both for ww2 and modern eras, and most of the ww2 stuff will work fine in the modern period too.

Fantastic, thanks for that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's $55 dollarydoos to get the What a Tanker rules mailed from the UK ($67 with the tokens), so I figured I'd look at getting the PDF and having it printed and ring bound - cheapest quote I could find was $50 to get the 72 pages of rules printed on regular paper, plus $5 for binding, on top of $23.50 for the pdf :negative:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I painted these in the last few days. They're the first 28mm vehicles I've ever done so be gentle

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just get the PDF - it's pretty light and you really won't need to reference much during play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

NTRabbit posted:

It's $55 dollarydoos to get the What a Tanker rules mailed from the UK ($67 with the tokens), so I figured I'd look at getting the PDF and having it printed and ring bound - cheapest quote I could find was $50 to get the 72 pages of rules printed on regular paper, plus $5 for binding, on top of $23.50 for the pdf :negative:

You might look around at online printing services. It's been a few years but I remember printing a bunch of rpg stuff from a place in Taiwan that was having an intro special. I got three books printed with a total of around 1000 pages for something like 30 usd.

I am on mobile but I will see if I can dig up any of their info.