Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Why can I not find the Rockets/Warriors game on the AppleTv, but on my iPad it pops right up? I’m literally screen sharing from one device to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Could be a rights thing? Streaming box vs a mobile device. Because of course everything has to be that complicated.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Some bullshit for sure. Best part is the game was sponsored by Hulu. I’m canceling as soon as Handmaids tail is over.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I have PS Vue which has been insanely good for the past year and been awesome for giving me almost all of what I want (my only wish for it is that they get viacom back but that's a super minor point).

I'd love to continue with PS Vue but there's been a lot of stories about trouble brewing including Sony themselves saying that the future for it is uncertain. All this is making me a little queasy and forcing me to evaluate my future options and I'm looking for input.

I know probably my best bet would be to switch to direct tv now but I'd prefer to make that a last effort because I really really really despise AT&T and would prefer to go with someone else but looking for people's experiences with other services, particularly if you switched from PS Vue to something else.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Direct TV Now was the only one that came close to Vue to me. It is also cheaper (especially with HBO).

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I tried vue, Hulu, and sling before going with youtube tv. It had all the channels and sports I want. I also much prefer the DVR system they use. I think the big deciding factor is if you get locals in your market or care about food network.

Edit, to elaborate. I watch a lot of basketball and the due for sports recording and accounting for running over was awful on vue. Hulu was a little better but you couldn't start a game recording in progress, so I couldn't start an hour in and catch up to real time by the end. Sling had the best functionality and I subscribed for a bit but the cost and limited DVR made me switch when youtube tv added Turner.

Douche4Sale fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 1, 2018

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

nate fisher posted:

Direct TV Now was the only one that came close to Vue to me. It is also cheaper (especially with HBO).

Have you been using the DVR in DTV now? How does it compare to Vue's setup for DVR, is it more like a traditional cable box where you select like station and all that or does it work like Vue where you select a program and then it'll just record every program on every channel and then you can choose which you play back from based on what it's recorded in the last 28 days.

Douche4Sale posted:

I tried vue, Hulu, and sling before going with youtube tv. It had all the channels and sports I want. I also much prefer the DVR system they use. I think the big deciding factor is if you get locals in your market or care about food network.

Edit, to elaborate. I watch a lot of basketball and the due for sports recording and accounting for running over was awful on vue. Hulu was a little better but you couldn't start a game recording in progress, so I couldn't start an hour in and catch up to real time by the end. Sling had the best functionality and I subscribed for a bit but the cost and limited DVR made me switch when youtube tv added Turner.

I deffo have had complaints about one time and limited airings of shows and Vue's DVR. It's also not great that you can't add a couple minutes to each end so there's a lot of times the last couple seconds of a show are cut off. Sports is good for me but I much more care about live availability.

Locals are only marginally important. I sub to Hulu too so 90% of what I want to watch on network, I just get through there. I'm trying to dump the NFL this year for various reasons so it'd almost be better if I didn't get locals (though having CW again would be nice).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RevKrule posted:

Have you been using the DVR in DTV now? How does it compare to Vue's setup for DVR, is it more like a traditional cable box where you select like station and all that or does it work like Vue where you select a program and then it'll just record every program on every channel and then you can choose which you play back from based on what it's recorded in the last 28 days.

I deffo have had complaints about one time and limited airings of shows and Vue's DVR. It's also not great that you can't add a couple minutes to each end so there's a lot of times the last couple seconds of a show are cut off. Sports is good for me but I much more care about live availability.

Locals are only marginally important. I sub to Hulu too so 90% of what I want to watch on network, I just get through there. I'm trying to dump the NFL this year for various reasons so it'd almost be better if I didn't get locals (though having CW again would be nice).

I haven't used the DVR that much yet, but it is like Vue. You pick a program and chose if you want to record just new or everything. That said I think you only get 20 hours.

To be honest I never tried Youtube TV due to the lack of certain channels. The only sport I watch is college football, so sports are not a driving force in my pick.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I think if you watch a lot of local sports teams then Youtube tv probably is the way to go since the other services don't include the local sports channels in their most basic package.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/amazonfiretv/status/1004731373276389379

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Gotta go to Bendigo to get me cuuuuuuube

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how my echo misunderstands me and the wife in the same way, despite us having wiiiiildly different accents due to growing up 5,000 miles apart.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Contrary to earlier speculation, the Cube has the same CPU and GPU as the pendant. I already have the pendant and an Echo Dot, so this is no upgrade for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Still no DV or native framerate output.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does it really take about 2-3 weeks to get the free Apple TV from DirecTV? Seems a long wait for people who might not have any other boxes to use the service on while paying for it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
When i did their roku deal it only took like 5 days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe just protective language then, that makes more sense.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does it really take about 2-3 weeks to get the free Apple TV from DirecTV? Seems a long wait for people who might not have any other boxes to use the service on while paying for it.

I got mine in about 4 days.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I went with the $10 a month deal for 3 months deal since I already have a few AppleTVs (including a 4K one). So far I am pretty happy with DTVN. I will have to say that the DVR was awful when I tried to watch The Expanse last week. It was so bad I just signed into the SYFY app to watch despite being forced to watch the commercials. That said no other issues, and I don't miss Vue (especially the price).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

phosdex posted:

I got mine in about 4 days.

Cool, I’ll definitely be springing for one soon. Just kills me that I have zero use for the service (unless I add HBO), but it’s still a heck of a deal for the hardware.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

No doubt there is someone out there that this thing suits to a T but overall this looks more like a typical big tech "throw poo poo on the wall and see what sticks" kind of product.

After dabbling with Alexa and Google Home I've axed both; other than simple dumb poo poo like asking what the weather is they aren't very useful and are particularly hit-or-miss as media playback control devices. Maybe my brain is too hardwired to using remotes but asking Alexa, for example, to raise or lower volume, or pause/play, etc. is....pretty stupid, overall. And an exercise in frustration if you are playing at higher volumes, or it's a loud action scene, etc.

Right now voice control is a solution in search of a problem and feels too much like an early wide-net beta collecting data for the next, better iteration (and whatever else they want to do with said data).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE posted:

Cool, I’ll definitely be springing for one soon.

And just to follow up, 'soon' turned into 'today' as I was checking up on something and found out it's the last day of the promotion. Allegedly, as I know they've extended it before. I'd have kicked myself if I waited until Monday...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

When you have toddlers and the resultant nomadic remotes, voice control of volume is a godsend

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

And just to follow up, 'soon' turned into 'today' as I was checking up on something and found out it's the last day of the promotion. Allegedly, as I know they've extended it before. I'd have kicked myself if I waited until Monday...

According to this article, after today it was being bumped to 4 month prepay. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-is-making-changes-to-their-apple-tv-deal-hurry-or-you-will-miss-out/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, still not a bad deal but definitely glad to save that $35.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ixian posted:

Right now voice control is a solution in search of a problem

I use voice control for pretty much everything in my house and it's wonderful. That said, I wouldn't use it for media control, I just use the Harmony remote for that, but I do use it for turning everything on and selecting the input. Some things voice control just isn't suited to doing and I feel like media controls, especially shuttle and volume, the two things people do the most, is the best example of what voice just doesn't do well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

LastInLine posted:

I use voice control for pretty much everything in my house and it's wonderful. That said, I wouldn't use it for media control, I just use the Harmony remote for that, but I do use it for turning everything on and selecting the input. Some things voice control just isn't suited to doing and I feel like media controls, especially shuttle and volume, the two things people do the most, is the best example of what voice just doesn't do well.

Agreed "Alexa turn on the lamp" is fine but "Alexa turn up the volume on the TV" umm, by how much? "God drat it no, I did not mean turn it as loud as it can! Alexa turn the volume down down!" And then Alexa turns the volume down to 0.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Playing Jeopardy on Alexa is a good way of seeing just how iffy the speech recognition is. And having to ask it turn the drat light on 3 times before it actually does it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Playing Jeopardy on Alexa is a good way of seeing just how iffy the speech recognition is. And having to ask it turn the drat light on 3 times before it actually does it.

I've seen this written commonly about Alexa often but I have to say that's not my experience with my Google Homes at all. Google said at I/O 2017 that their speech recognition is more accurate than the typical person's and I'd certainly believe it. In practice I can't recall the last time I was misunderstood and I don't think I've ever had a false trigger.

Almost all of the failures I've seen have been missing the trigger word or misinterpreting my meaning.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Google's speech recognition is no joke. I frequently do voice searches on Play Music while driving and despite all the car noise, blasting AC, and whatever's playing at the moment it hears "Rick James You And I" with no problem.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

LastInLine posted:

I've seen this written commonly about Alexa often but I have to say that's not my experience with my Google Homes at all.

It's not my experience with Alexa either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Although it famously has been a problem I do wonder how much of an effect accents have. There's a guy at work who is a huge Google fan and he's almost unintelligible to me, I have to wonder what his error rate is like.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Alexa mishears me and my wife in the same way. Our accents are from two different continents, about 5,000 miles apart. It’s also not great at reading things, and some words are unintelligible and I need to use the app to see what it was supposed to be trying to say.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've finally convinced my parents to cut the cord and use DIRECTV NOW instead. However, they have a Roku Stick 3600R in their bedroom, and the app runs like rear end on there. They have an Apple TV in the living room, and that runs the DTVN app great. What cheap options are available for them that can run the DTVN app smooth/fast? Is app solid on the Fire Stick?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

4th gen (the one before the 4K) Apple TV can’t cost that much second hand or whatever now, and it’ll give them exactly the same experience between rooms. Not really worth messing with hardware that may or may not work that well if the app needs updates etc.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Barring that, the current-generation Fire TV is only $50, or $20 more than the Fire Stick.

Having had the previous generation Stick (it was underpowered and choppy when brand new), I would absolutely not compromise over 20 bucks.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

teagone posted:

I've finally convinced my parents to cut the cord and use DIRECTV NOW instead. However, they have a Roku Stick 3600R in their bedroom, and the app runs like rear end on there. They have an Apple TV in the living room, and that runs the DTVN app great. What cheap options are available for them that can run the DTVN app smooth/fast? Is app solid on the Fire Stick?

For a pain-free switch, just get the newer version of that stick. It's on Amazon for $40 and runs much faster than the 3600R. And apps run better on it as well; I have one in my guest bedroom that my parents used a couple weeks ago when they visited and they loved it.

I'm really coming around on the newer gen Rokus. I have the Ultra in my bedroom now, replaced my Shield, and frankly prefer it. Plex, Netflix, Sling, et. all work great on them even in 4k/HDR and I'm also not a big fan of the new Shield/Android TV interface.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

I've finally convinced my parents to cut the cord

Just reading this made me feel anxious. I'm pretty sure my parents would let me cut life support before they did cable.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Just reading this made me feel anxious. I'm pretty sure my parents would let me cut life support before they did cable.

I guess something like Sling/DTVNow is technically "cord cutting" but the experience matches regular cable almost exactly. I got my parents to switch to DTVNow after I showed them how it worked (and more importantly how much money they would save).

I mean, it's literally just TV only they have to click on the app now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ixian posted:

I'm really coming around on the newer gen Rokus. I have the Ultra in my bedroom now, replaced my Shield, and frankly prefer it. Plex, Netflix, Sling, et. all work great on them even in 4k/HDR and I'm also not a big fan of the new Shield/Android TV interface.

Same. I had Fire TVs/Sticks and replaced them all with Rokus and it's a much better experience.