Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst ones are when the commercial gets all slow motion and parent with big concern eyes checks the rearview mirror to make sure their kid is still smiling in the back seat and dramatic music swells.

Listen fucker you wouldn't need to be concerned if you loving paid attention to the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Un chien andalou posted:

Speaking of terrible starwars car stuff...

That actually wraps around to wrong thread if you ask me.

:dadjoke:

Right thread though:
https://twitter.com/binarybits/status/999661474900475904

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

iospace posted:

Right thread though:

Oh, so this wasn't necessarily an accident, more of an inevitability. Way to be the face of self driving cars, Uber, you definitely painted the idea in the best possible light

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uber finds a way to poison everything it touches so really they're doing us all a service, they're compressing all the stupid in one spot so when it implodes no one cares.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Un chien andalou posted:

Speaking of terrible starwars car stuff...

I vote that the plastic vent cover poo poo on the back of a lot of modern cars be reason enough for them being posted in this thread. If it's functional those cut outs shouldn't be covered, if it's not functional they shouldn't be there at all. Lazy design.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

iospace posted:

Right thread though:

So, basically, the system that would have prevented the accident was not allowed to do its job, in at least two different ways, instead relying on the meatbag to pay attention while largely doing nothing, something we're not very good at. I mean, we're terrible at paying attention *while* we are doing a thing, why would you expect the operator to pay attention to a thing that they are *not* doing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I vote that the plastic vent cover poo poo on the back of a lot of modern cars be reason enough for them being posted in this thread. If it's functional those cut outs shouldn't be covered, if it's not functional they shouldn't be there at all. Lazy design.

It's just a reaction to the times. Vehicle design is heavily limited by safety, aerodynamics, and cost. They're gonna stick stupid poo poo wherever they can to try and make the car stand out and convince people they need a new car.

What you should really worry about is what fad the designers latch on to next.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They do it on front grilles, too. It's maddening.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

They do it on front grilles the entire front end of Toyota products, too. It's maddening.

FTFY.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The maw is a lie?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Uber finds a way to poison everything it touches so really they're doing us all a service, they're compressing all the stupid in one spot so when it implodes no one cares.

Uber has one purpose: to erode worker rights.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:capitalism:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

The maw is a lie?

The Maw is real. Functionality is a lie.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

e: ooooh, how about a warning that says you're in the left hand lane without passing anybody!

I came close to jizzing at this idea, then realized it would never happen.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have secret spy news about the next gen Toyota's, they basically look like those giant snow blower trains but with black plastic grills.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I have secret spy news about the next gen Toyota's, they basically look like those giant snow blower trains but with black plastic grills.

I want you to know that you almost endangered my keyboard with this. I was drinking coffee when I read it.

STR posted:

I came close to jizzing at this idea, then realized it would never happen.

The sort of cars that the sort of people buy who would need that warning would more likely have a light to let them know when they weren't being an entitled douchebag in the left lane, so they could move over and do so.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

I mean, they took off the side pipes for that exhaust! :downs:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Waldstein Sonata posted:

I mean, they took off the side pipes for that exhaust! :downs:

The Trader Joe's sign raises this photograph to the level of art.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

"Well, I really want a Corvette SportWagon, but all I have is a Corvette, and F-150 topper, and a case of Bondo. I guess I could make this work."

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

"Well, I really want a Corvette SportWagon, but all I have is a Corvette, and F-150 topper, and a case of Bondo. I guess I could make this work."

More like had a case of Bondo, no respirator, and a poorly ventilated garage. Started filling some rust holes, kind of got out of hand.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
And a Subaru Brat topper I think.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I think that could actually work if the person building it put more effort into it. It's got potential, though I doubt that potential will be fully realized. It'll end up on Craigslist as 'one of a kind Corvette!!' with a sale price of like $15k

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's because shooting brakes own.

The ones done with a proper attention to detail anyways.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xzzy posted:

That's because shooting brakes own.

The ones done with a proper attention to detail anyways.

Actual period C3 SportWagons are actually kinda good looking:

I mean, as good looking as a disco-Vette can get.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kinda good looking?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrYenko posted:

The downslope of the canopy area kinda ruins it for me in the second photo. It's not bad, but it's no 1993 Aston Martin Virage 3-door.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrYenko posted:

That's dope :clint:

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Distracted Driver in a Toyota Corolla Destroys Family's Treasured 1931 Ford Model A

That fuckin Corolla ugh, god couldn't it have been a Dodge Neon or something

CHRIST and it's got its loving spare donut on it

IS THERE NO GOD

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Even the big titty anime girl looks sad about your ruined bmw and terrible spelling.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

thechalkoutline posted:

Distracted Driver in a Toyota Corolla Destroys Family's Treasured 1931 Ford Model A

IS THERE NO GOD

I'm the victim-blaming in the comments.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

stump posted:

Even the big titty anime girl looks sad about your ruined bmw and terrible spelling.

I honestly cannot understand what this person is trying to tell me in their ad

MrYenko posted:

With the T-tops? Yes please

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Door Frame posted:

I honestly cannot understand what this person is trying to tell me in their ad

With the T-tops? Yes please

I too need the wind blowing through my voluminous chest hair.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dagen H posted:

I'm the victim-blaming in the comments.

Those fuckin commenters are giving me an aneurysm.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thechalkoutline posted:

IS THERE NO GOD
Well, it's fixable, the good thing with stuff like that is there's very little you can do to them that can't be undone. Even a badly bent chassis isn't as bad an issue as on a modern car.

stump posted:

Im disappointed by the lack of unicorns in the artwork.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

InitialDave posted:

Well, it's fixable, the good thing with stuff like that is there's very little you can do to them that can't be undone. Even a badly bent chassis isn't as bad an issue as on a modern car.

"The impact bent the frame and the driveshaft, split the engine block, snapped all four wire wheels, broke the differential, and sent the hood flying ten feet into the grass. Aside from the obvious body damage, the car's entire structure is buckled and tweaked."

I don't think they're gonna be able to fix the engine. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

STR posted:

"The impact bent the frame and the driveshaft, split the engine block, snapped all four wire wheels, broke the differential, and sent the hood flying ten feet into the grass. Aside from the obvious body damage, the car's entire structure is buckled and tweaked."

Depends exactly what's happened to it. If it's just a crack it could probably be stitched, but if it's gone all the way through (I suspect they're weaker in across the middle where the tappet chest is), yeah, probably new block time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Anyone in that family who buys a Corolla is now going to be an outcast.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

STR posted:

It'll become the Model A of Theseus

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The Door Frame posted:

It'll become the Model A of Theseus

Is the C-pillar intact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005