Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

Wishing McGiggins would practice eugenics on your posts.

Oh I'd do it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Peccadillo posted:

People burst with excitement at the opportunity to say it in an acceptable context

this is why everyone wants to be in a tarantino movie

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Kendrick Lamar did nothing wrong

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dude McAwesome posted:

Kendrick Lamar did nothing wrong

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

GoldStandardConure posted:

this is why everyone wants to be in a tarantino movie

He casts himself as "guy who says the n-word excessively" in stuff the same way he insisted on being the hands that choked that lady to death in Inglorious Basterds and spit in Uma Therman's face on Kill Bill. The man's got a weird cruelty fetish

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

McGiggins posted:

Oh I'd do it too.

Dude, gently caress off

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Nah.

In other news, what happened with the whole adani thing? I heard it got canned and then was on again and then got canned and now Clive is doing Adani 2: Electric Boogalo?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Who is this bloke?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

By the way, just in case you missed it yep the Greens are still basically sex pests.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aesculus posted:

By the way, just in case you missed it yep the Greens are still basically sex pests.

What an incredible thing to be upset by.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

JBP posted:

What an incredible thing to be upset by.

You tend to assume the worst after a party literally protects rapists with legal threats until the story goes public because of factional infuence :shrug:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
in the 1970s, when cunnilingus had yet to be invented,

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Pretty sure the reason nobody is discussing it at the moment is that it's a month old.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cunnilingus owns.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

grab em [greens voters] by the pussy

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pretty sure the reason nobody is discussing it at the moment is that it's a month old.

Nobody posted it then too so better late than never. It's almost time for a new thread anyway so this'll probably get buried soon too :v:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-27/shorten-vows-to-stop-the-boats-vic-labor-defers-debate/9805320 posted:

In a sign of how sensitive this issue is, the Victorian Labor state conference today shut down a potentially damaging debate over the party's policy on offshore processing.

The motion, drafted by Labor's left, urged the party to "close the offshore detention centres, transit centres and other camps on Manus and Nauru within the first 90 days" of a Shorten government.

But shortly before debate was due to begin, two powerful unions, the AWU and CFMEU, teamed up to defer that motion — and all others — prompting cries of "shame" from the audience.

Earlier, Mr Shorten moved to counter the Coalition's claims that Labor would "weaken" Australia's tough border protection policies, declaring "a Labor Government will stop the boats".

"The current Government would like to say that there'll be another policy; there won't be," he said.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

CFMEU... not good???

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Shorten killing it (my enthusiasm for voting labor) right now

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
liberals : will deffo murder browns
labor : will deffo murder browns but like three members of the caucus will feel bad about it

Remember back when labor was umming and uhhing over gays marrying, and loving Penny Wong was on Q&A and poo poo having to go along with 'Oh yeah nah no gay marriage, that poo poo isn't going to happen no worries mate'. gently caress labor and dickhead unions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Robodog posted:

liberals : will deffo murder browns
labor : will deffo murder browns but like three members of the caucus will feel bad about it

Remember back when labor was umming and uhhing over gays marrying, and loving Penny Wong was on Q&A and poo poo having to go along with 'Oh yeah nah no gay marriage, that poo poo isn't going to happen no worries mate'. gently caress labor and dickhead unions.

Lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They're not going to change the policy because the numbers are not there. Forcing a debate to divide the party and gently caress the election up is cool and good strategy

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

JBP posted:

They're not going to change the policy because the numbers are not there. Forcing a debate to divide the party and gently caress the election up is cool and good strategy

A party with principles that stiil wins a significant share of the vote but isn't the biggest is better than a party that will do whatever it takes to be the biggest party, even if it means selling all their principles for votes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bandaid.friend posted:

Shorten killing it (my enthusiasm for voting labor) right now

He almost lasted a whole day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aesculus posted:

A party with principles that stiil wins a significant share of the vote but isn't the biggest is better than a party that will do whatever it takes to be the biggest party, even if it means selling all their principles for votes.

It's literally one policy. The Labour party has never been a welcome to all comers party and most likely never will be. Expecting it of them is dumb.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Labor bad, unions happy for families to be kept in detention centres.

Cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Labor bad, unions happy for families to be kept in detention centres.

Cool.

I'm not speaking for myself it's dogshit. On balance politically it's a nothing policy if you leave it and a potential threat if you change it. That's the problem.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 27, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Since Labor didn't feel like pushing gay marriage until they lost power, maybe the next time the LNP take over Labor can trick them into shutting down off shore detention too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

I'm not speaking for myself it's dogshit. On balance politically it's a nothing policy if you leave it and a potenitaly threat if you change it. That's the problem.

Doing nothing is the best solution - Labor's 2019 Election Policy standpoint

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Doing nothing is the best solution - Labor's 2019 Election Policy standpoint

100% accurate

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

JBP posted:

It's literally one policy. The Labour party has never been a welcome to all comers party and most likely never will be. Expecting it of them is dumb.

I mean, sure, it's not a vote-winner and there are probably bigger things to focus on.

It's still absolute poo poo to shut down discussion of how we can help these people who are being actively tortured in concentration camps and to still basically condone it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

Yeah, it was called the White Australia policy.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JBP posted:

Cunnilingus owns.

Hell yeah, Fury Road was great

AgentF
May 11, 2009

JBP posted:

I'm not speaking for myself it's dogshit. On balance politically it's a nothing policy if you leave it and a potential threat if you change it. That's the problem.

Rubbish. The Coalition will attack Labor for being 'weak on borders" no matter what they do. Don't adopt a policy to prevent your opponents from attacking you if they're going to attack you on that issue anyway.

Of course the true correct answer is that Labor should never have gone along with the stupid refugees=threat angle in the first place. The positions of political parties not only follow public discourse, but they also lead and guide public discourse by adjusting what people think is acceptable. When the Coalition started cracking on about boat arrivals Labor found themselves at a crossroads where they could have decided whether this was an important issue or not, and message to that. But they stupidly decided to say "of course refugees are a threat and we're better at dealing with it", at once conceding an attack angle that their opponents can use forever. Like climate change, treating refugees in a humane manner should never have become a political issue at all, just something to quietly get on with. But Labor decided to cynically pander to the bigot base, thus signalling that the views of bigots were legitimate political discourse, and surprise surprise it's now far easier to be a bigot.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You gotta do what you gotta do. Vote Labor.

*pushes refugee child into a woodchipper*

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah, it was called the White Australia policy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

get hosed Labor

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

To give JBP credit where it's due, he is correct in that Labor have never been a party given towards more open immigration policies and generally supported White Australia on the whole.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
But our point was that it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

AgentF posted:

But our point was that it's bad.

I don't believe JBP disagreed that it is bad.

• Locked thread