Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Speaking of Diablo, it's still really early, but there's some interesting pick rate vs. winrate things going on with him:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Win rates are pretty meaningless though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The new lightning breath is very busted.

Imagine an ult being eight percentage points better than apoc. Sure part of this is people who know what they're doing picking lightning breath. But yeah the ult is very broken as well, if we get dibble buffs i hope LB gets toned down.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bamhand posted:

Win rates are pretty meaningless though.

Win rates are very useful. You can fairly easily fit them to any narrative you want :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

Honestly I feel like I've always gotten more dupes than new items on average after a point. Like, not just random common crap but the likelihood of getting a dupe legendary seems pretty drat high considering all the fancy skins I don't own yet.

Whether that's dumb luck and confirmation bias or nefarious lovely RNG, who knows.

Actually now that I think about it, the relative weighting on certain loot types is also probably partly to blame.

To whit: I got Underworld Mariachi ETC out of a box and then my very next box...is yet another Underworld Mariachi ETC. There's definitely something hosed going on with boxes.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Lightning breath is a serious threat now and i don't think many people (myself included) are used to it. If the ult is up and diablo is close to you, you're basically dead without a medivh / mobility skill / etc... You can't just walk out of if anymore.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I am one of those who really enjoy the new Diablo, he is different but I still have fun playing him and win more games than I lose. Q build is definitely dead but both Q and AA build feel fine in their own way. Lvl 10 I always go lightening breath.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
My biggest problem with him is he doesn’t feel unique anymore. I’d rather just play Garrosh or Stitches than nuDiablo, which is a shame since I one tricked him for several months prior to this. New lightning breath is probably the only cool thing about the rework - it’s both good and feels good to use.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

I'll admit I liked lunara's position as a hero a bit before the rework. More niche,, asked for a few specific heroes to be on the enemy team before drafting her (uther, garrosh, sonya), had some trade-offs with her strengths. She's just Good now in general, imo I'd like to see culling go to 7 so that she's not so good at everything. I suspect we'll just get nerfs to culling instead, which is better than nothing but still will be a very easy pick most of the tume.

The downside for Lunara being this strong is that it gives you even less reason to pick zuljin valla cassia (lets not discuss raynor).

I was playing Valla last night and it was kind of miserable. Ran into Lunara and Hanzo a lot and they hurt me. They hurt me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I still really like Valla's design, deputy valla feels very natural and I'm very happy when I play her. She just rarely seems like the optimal pick in draft any more (you can certainly still win with her, but part of the fun of draft for me is trying to figure out the ideal hero). You'll almost always want fenix or lunara instead now, with BoE being the possible exception (her race is still excellent, and hanzo isnt real at my mmr).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 25, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tried out guldan recently, he's really cool and fun. i end up topscoring on hero damage and/or seige damage every game, but never win fights/get kills/win games. anyone got any g'd tips?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 26, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don’t think you are supposed to get sick killz as Gul’Dan. You clear waves, you crap damage all over the place and in team-fights you nail them with Horrify. You leave the killing blows to your teammates. If you can’t rely on them, you still stay at the backline poking people until their support can’t keep up. You are not very mobile or tanky and you are going to be damaging yourself with Lifetap, so play like you are a fragile glass.

However, if the enemy team has a mobile assassin (Tracer, Genji, Greymane) hug your teammates, so they can hopefully respond with timely CC/heals. Being solo with those kind of opponents puts a huge target on your back, and they will burst you down no matter how much you suck (uh, I mean with Drain Life :v:).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 26, 2018

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
Horrify needs to secure a kill in team fights. If you only ever use it to peel you're using it wrong. Practice your 1 shot combo with horrify (horrify a backliner, corruption all 3 stacks in the direction they're running, q then drain life till it leashes).

Also just in case you didn't know, enemies run away from the very center of horrify so you can control which way they go. Hitting all 3 circles of corruption is easier than it sounds if you get used to aiming it properly.

unclenutzzy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 26, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So hey, don't try and use Junkrat's riptire ult on the conveyor belts on Volskaya. It will do his ult callout and the animation will play and then reset, never unleashing the tire. He'll do this over and over as long as you keep standing on the belt. You'll have to move him off of it on to stable ground to do the ult. Ruined a potential bunch of kills last night during a game

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

C-c-c-c-cross postin'!

BrianBoitano posted:

Learn to speak HotS in 5 minutes!

"gently caress ____ League" -------------------------- "The only common factor of my losses is my horrible teammates"
"Team?" -------------------------------------------------------- "I don't know how to check the minimap before engaging"
"Heals??" -------------------------------------- "I... died?!? And no, I will not hit tab first to see if you *did* heal me."
"Get carried" ---------- "I'm trying desperately to forget my unfavorable quarterly review from work today"
"Lost at draft" ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "I got hit by cc and died. This is your fault."
*spam ping ally* ------------------------------------------------------------- "I am dead and you are not. This is your fault."
*spam ping enemy* ------------------------------------------------------------------- "This hero killed me. This is your fault."
*spam ping objective* ----------------------------------------------------- "I have crucial strategic information to share"
"gg" at 5 minutes --------------------------- "I never win comebacks so I never try. This is the key to happiness"
(in draft) "I don't heal or tank" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "My name is Chad"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of want Diablo to just go back to the way he was with maybe his damage brought down a bit while keeping the new lightning breath.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BrianBoitano posted:

C-c-c-c-cross postin'!

Stop lying, these are all lines from Alarak announcing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Had a weird bug earlier where during the later half of the game tassadars beam auto attack was doing 0 damage to the coin chests on BHB and also 0 to the little 2 man minion camps.

I thought I was lagging at first because I was just standing there shooting it and the health of the chest never budged but then murky came and starting hitting it and the coins started popping out.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of want Diablo to just go back to the way he was with maybe his damage brought down a bit while keeping the new lightning breath.

Same. New lightning breath is cool and good but the old Diablo was more fun and not really overpowered. They should have just bumped his % hp dmg down to 10% max per wallbang (or made it a big chunk of non% hp dmg if they don’t want big D threatening tanks so much) and baselined the q range buff/nerf if from the shadows’ range was really a problem. Diablo had really fun gameplay before the changes and they should have tried to preserve that. Nu Diablo lost a lot of the mechanics that made Diablo fun because the focus is on hitting big lightning breaths which is point and selfroot whereas old Diablo was all about combos and positioning for wall bangs. Shifting power out of Q and into LB makes Diablo’s gameplay a lot more boring basically.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

tried out guldan recently, he's really cool and fun. i end up topscoring on hero damage and/or seige damage every game, but never win fights/get kills/win games. anyone got any g'd tips?

He's very reliant on your fundamental skills like map awareness, positioning, target prioritization, ability to land skill shots, manganging health/mana pools, and knowing when to be aggressive, so it's hard to give general tips that would be useful.

Play him like a glass cannon but also don't be afraid to take a fight. Unlike other poke heroes with similar ranges (Li-Ming, Lunara, Chromie, Kael), having Drain Life and Life Tap means that Gul'Dan can often come away from skirmishes with an advantage as long as he doesn't die. The quests at level 1 also mean that he is very rarely dealing useless damage.

Some things you might not know:

- 90% of the time you'll want to be placing Corruption so that the enemy is between the first and second circles to reduce your reliance on them moving into it.
- The range indicator for Fel Flame is just a little bit shorter than its actual range. Knowing this you can poke towers with Fel Flame while being out of tower range.
- If you time Horrify correctly it can be used to escape some of Gul'dan's more annoying counters like Butcher's charge combo or Illidan's Hunt so that it fears them the moment they smash into you. The short but noticeable cast time on Horrify can make this pretty difficult so it's not something you always want to rely on.

unclenutzzy says you should practice Horrify into Corruption combo but I don't think it's really worth focusing on that specific setup. I'm coming close to 600 games with Gul'Dan and the amount of times that situation comes up and is the correct play (versus attempting to fear them towards you or attempt some other setup) has been pretty miniscule. However, as with any skillshot you should focus on predicting enemy movement and practicing this may help you internalize the timing and range of Gul'Dan's skills.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I finished the event quest yesterday and the announcer is so good

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I've never done the "correct" Gul'dan horrify combo, I mostly use it as a part of a cc chain.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This is probably just me being unobservant but do slows affect Artanis while he's blade dashing? I just had a game where occasionally when I blade dashed it was like I was swimming through molasses and the only thing I could think is I was making contact with Blaze's oil slick, but I've never noticed that interaction before.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Kai Tave posted:

This is probably just me being unobservant but do slows affect Artanis while he's blade dashing? I just had a game where occasionally when I blade dashed it was like I was swimming through molasses and the only thing I could think is I was making contact with Blaze's oil slick, but I've never noticed that interaction before.

Blade dash seems to be really buggy this patch. I've seen some instances of it colliding with walls too this patch.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

event good

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Blade dash seems to be really buggy this patch. I've seen some instances of it colliding with walls too this patch.

Yeah, I just played some games against Artanis and his blade dash seems wonky as gently caress right now, the animation isn't always playing right, etc. Weird.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I just played some games against Artanis and his blade dash seems wonky as gently caress right now, the animation isn't always playing right, etc. Weird.

I watched a Junkrat tire proceed agonizingly slowly through tar so yeah, something weird is up

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

I got Garrosh JEFE, new Diablo skin, all 3 tints of new Etc skin and a pinata mount but not Lunara yet :( Don't know if skin is actually wroth spending shards on

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Not gonna lie though, this Lucha announcer is pretty dang sweet.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He's just got great energy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bogart posted:

He's just got great energy.

It's absolutely what a "legendary" quality announcer ought to be, imo. Just copy-pasting the map specific versions of things like the Raven Lord is really lazy.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I've gotten some real dope portraits and sprays so far.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Everytime he goes talento Talento! TALENTO! I smile

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That Lunara skin is like one of those huge rear end stuffed animals at a fairground shooting gallery that you're never going to win.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Quick match is a coinflip right now, thanks to the free week hanzo. Just lost two in a row thanks to having him on my team

Edit: here comes a third

Edit: Oh four in a row, four losses in a row. Nice being right.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 30, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Did Hanzo get nerfed that hard? Haven't played him in regular match since the rework but he still seemed pretty good in brawl.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

He's decent if you know how to not die. He's like Lunara but with less health so if you get burst and/or CCed you die quickly.

Free week means people are playing this normally slightly underpowered hero, but they haven't climbed his learning curve yet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
When do rotations for free heroes change? Tomorrow? Cain is pretty fun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

When do rotations for free heroes change? Tomorrow? Cain is pretty fun.

Next week. They just changed last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

fool_of_sound posted:

Next week. They just changed last night.

Oh poo poo nice. Gonna put some more time in on Cain then. I might save to buy him.