Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dexefiend posted:

I am just about to start assembling Aggressors #7-9.

Is there any reason to build Flamerbros? Losing 10" of range and a few shots is only worth it for Overwatch and -2 to hit or worse...

Multiple stacking negatives to hit has been popping up in the local group lately, so it'd be useful for that. If you've already got six Boltstorm Aggressors, why not? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
It's walker weekend motherfuckers! Finished leviathan #2, as promised yesterday, as well as second contemptor earlier in the week.

Here are all of the yellow dreads

And closeups of the other three

And the red dreads (looking at these next to the yellow dreads I'm astounded at how much I've improved. That blood angel leviathan was painted last august)

Their closeups

And last, but certainly not least, big walker. I cannot loving wait for the knight codex to drop in a few weeks. Castellan going to be a day 1 purchase.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I just made the absolute best play I will probably ever get in this game.

My Thunder hammer captain was able to kill in a single turn:
1 slightly damaged Stormhawk Interceptor
8 Hellblasters
5 Aggressors.

The explanation is that I’d just got alpha struck really hard turn 1 by the other player infiltrating the models I end up killing. My captain had started on the table so that I could try to Orbital Strike the blob of Primaris. I ended up deciding it would be way cooler for this single model to attack the entire enemy army than to hold back and pushed forward.

He was rocking 8 attacks- 4 base +1 from The Black Rage + 3 from The Red Thirst.

Here’s the play by play because of course I took pictures.

I make a multi-charge into the Stormhawk and the Hellblasters.

The first round I kill the Stormhawk and most of the Hellblasters:

I then pop Honor the Chapter to wipe out the Hellblasters and consolidate into the Aggressors after a very careful pile-in.

The aggressors power fist my Captain to death, at which point I use Only in Death does Duty end to kill off most of that squad.

The game was basically over at that point and I had something of a poo poo-eating smile on my face.

E: fixed tags

Pendent fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 27, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

The aggressors power fist my Captain to death, at which point I use Only in Death does Duty end to kill off most of that squad. [timg] https://i.imgur.com/gfOXaoM.jpg[/timg]

The game was basically over at that point and I had something of a poo poo-eating smile on my face.

I'm not entirely sure that's legal. I don't think only in death lets you override targeting restrictions, which are that because you charged this turn you can only attack units you declared a charge against.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I'm not entirely sure that's legal. I don't think only in death lets you override targeting restrictions, which are that because you charged this turn you can only attack units you declared a charge against.

I’d declared on the Agressors, who were well within range. This wasn’t a charge out of deepstrike- he’s started on the table and moved up.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I’d declared on the Agressors, who were well within range. This wasn’t a charge out of deepstrike- he’s started on the table and moved up.

Ahh, ok. Your post made it sound like you only declared on the stormhawk and hellblasters.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Ahh, ok. Your post made it sound like you only declared on the stormhawk and hellblasters.

Fair enough. With the Angels Wing I tend to declare on everything in range because why not.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Booley posted:

It's walker weekend motherfuckers! Finished leviathan #2, as promised yesterday, as well as second contemptor earlier in the week.

And the red dreads (looking at these next to the yellow dreads I'm astounded at how much I've improved. That blood angel leviathan was painted last august)

Their closeups

And last, but certainly not least, big walker. I cannot loving wait for the knight codex to drop in a few weeks. Castellan going to be a day 1 purchase.

Fuuuuuuck these are nice

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Walker Weekend.

Need to fix the magnets on those leviathans

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
A finished walker!

His unfinished brothers!

Oddly, the top picture is much more accurate in terms of color saturation. I went for a very worn bone-like yellow for my wraiths.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I think that's my final Walker.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Felime and I got a game in. His tank-infatuated Guard against the first iteration of my Primaris Deathwatch. The game was a lot of fun, with me once again learning how to play the entire loving thing because it's been since February and Felime being infinitely friendly and patient and awesome. We played Open War, which IMO is The Best Way, and had a good time with a quartered deployment zone and three objectives. One in each zone and a third in the center. Unfortunately I made some tactical errors and allowed his tanks to just blow my dudes away, but it was a really enjoyable experience and I learned a lot. Couple thoughts on my end:

1. The Tempest Shell ability is really nice. 1CP for 1d3 mortal wounds if you hit on a 2+.

2. The various wound stratagems are really powerful and help significantly improve the offensive firepower at the massive expense of CP. This is definitely an army that requires a significant bank of CP, which means that the cheap Guard squad is almost mandatory if you want to be remotely competitive. A squad of 3 plasma Inceptors dropped in with a Primaris Captain and deleted a Lemun Russ very efficiently. Dropping larger squads is probably best; I could definitely see 10 Hellblasters with Plasma Incinerators being really unpleasant against two vehicles.

3. I don't particularly think that assault plasma incinerators and assault bolt rifles are a viable combination. They're fairly expensive and don't synergize too well. It seems like the sheer weight of fire that bolters can put out gives options against T7 and you're better off fitting your plasma for use against T8. So that means the rapid firing plasma incinerators and plasma Inceptors.

4. I believe that there's a lot of promise in merging Aggressors in squads. I'm going to fit some squads of assault bolter Intercessors, Aggressors, and a bolter Inceptor to see how well that works. The sheer volume of fire should be really devastating. Having Aggressors would also encourage me to move and get in Felime's face more; he commented later on that getting into combat with his tanks would have been advantageous.

5. Felime is an awesome guy and fun to play with.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I think the benefit of the assault troops is less the damage efficiency vs rapid fire, it's that they can sprint across the board with an aggressor in tow with 0 reduction in firepower. You're bringing them to be mobile, not to optimize hitting power vs all targets.

I'm planning on running one of each. One unit with assault intercessors and hellblasters backed up by an aggressor and inceptor, and one with a straight 5/5 split of rapid fire dudes that I'm going to combat squad up. Third troop will probably be 9 vets + a vanguard with a watch master in a corvus, fit out with 2 frag cannons, a bunch of storm bolters, two storm shields, and a few melee weapons like a thunder hammer blackshield.

It definitely does look like a fine balance between getting toys vs getting extra detachments for CP. Like I really want to get a squad of terminators with meltaguns deep striking, but for the points of the squad I can easily fit a barebones batallion of something for more CP. Even a batallion of scout marines and cheap HQ from the vanilla codex would fit in the points there, let alone a guard batt.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 27, 2018

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Walker Weekend continues with some 30k Mechanicum that would one day some would be usable if fire of Craxis ever came out.....

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finally got a game in with my AdMech, playing against the same Ork list my Nids beat at our local tournament. I managed to barely win it by a point, after he managed to breach my lines and cut pretty deep into my back line.

Best moment was first turn, first shot a unit of Rangers advanced to get in rapid fire range of an oncoming trukk and the arc rifle put 6 wounds on it. :science:

It was interesting playing a much more static army with straight-forward tactics. Stygies does give the option for special deployment to spice things up, but against a highly mobile Ork force (primarily bikers and trukks) I opted to castle and hold the line. I dunno, rolling lots of shooting dice is fun but it felt somehow... dry.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Currently sitting in a tie for 14th at Midwest Conquest, out of about 80. I'm 2-1. My loss was to Matt Root. I Still scored a decent amount in that game too.

Full battle reports to come on Monday.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Protip: Aggressors are hard to assemble. Double check everything to do with their ammo feeds/boxes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

Protip: Aggressors are hard to assemble. Double check everything to do with their ammo feeds/boxes.

I dry-fitted everything before I glued, but yeah they're not fun. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm doing a final glue pass but what I've done so far still makes me think they're better than Inceptors.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I had to break out the heat gun to fix my misalignment of the fuel hoses/packs.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
"Oh hey 100 posts, what garbage is happening now?"

"Everyone post your amazing beautiful god drat walkers!!!"

Hmmm well I was working on something that is kind of the opposite of that..

Does this count?

Wait.... What's that behind him?

Sorry I didn't get the walker memo everyone, here's what I did this week.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
420 post walkers err'day

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

I still have some fixes to do, a little weathering, and then apply the transfers.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Their closeups

I’ll never get tired of looking at your armies.

Really awesome job with the dynamic posing on those dreads!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

420 post walkers err'day

One of these is not like the others!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Walker weekend :buddy:

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Started putting together the Deathwatch dreadnought, it’s going to have a chaplain skull head. The skull bit has eye sockets, which means...

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Badass. Those alternate FW heads are all super cool and even better lit up.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My submission for Walked Weekend: a VenDread I should really finish.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

5. Felime is an awesome guy and fun to play with.

100% this.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

General Olloth posted:

Sorry I didn't get the walker memo everyone, here's what I did this week.

The kid's got legs, they're a walker.

Good job. Also good job on the terrain, that gate is neat and that board is huge.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

Right... if I'm going to have my army at least in the state I want it to be when i get pummelled into the dirt by far more pragmatic players at Peaceful Negotiations, I've got 2 months to build paint and varnish 1 aggressor, 6 hellblasters and 5 knife reivers with all the trimmings with a stretch goal of an updated gravis captain made to look more like my custom fist captain.

I should be able to do 12 models in 2 months.

You're coming? Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you there.

dexefiend posted:

Try some Warscythe Lychguard. They're a loving nightmare. I have 3 that look awesome, and then two that look like the derpiest fuckin skeletons imaginable.

Master Twig posted:

Currently sitting in a tie for 14th at Midwest Conquest, out of about 80. I'm 2-1. My loss was to Matt Root. I Still scored a decent amount in that game too.

Full battle reports to come on Monday.

Twig beaten by Root. So it goes. Well done, hope day 2 goes well.

Everyone who's posted amazing walkers overnight - thanks. We've got some magnificent work here. After our strong response Friday and Saturday I thought maybe we were done and then here come even more amazing minis.

I've posted my Knight and accompanying Armiger in here before, but here they are again:

I really need to get the second Armiger done.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How are classic dreads/redemptor dreads? I kind of prefer them visually over the ones with a little helmet sticking out; they better convey "these dudes are dead as gently caress" with their exposed coffins IMO.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Killer_Bees! posted:

Walker Weekend continues with some 30k Mechanicum that would one day some would be usable if fire of Craxis ever came out.....

Oh my :eyepop:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Neurolimal posted:

How are classic dreads/redemptor dreads? I kind of prefer them visually over the ones with a little helmet sticking out; they better convey "these dudes are dead as gently caress" with their exposed coffins IMO.

Classic Dreads are a decent gun platform but overcosted. Redemptors are far too expensive for their survivability and don't offer enough offensively. Someone suggested making them BS/WS/Sv 2+ and that would go a long way to improving them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Classic Dreads are a decent gun platform but overcosted. Redemptors are far too expensive for their survivability and don't offer enough offensively. Someone suggested making them BS/WS/Sv 2+ and that would go a long way to improving them.

Armigers are even worse. I really don't understand GW's underlying assumptions regarding balance, but I feel like they significantly over value toughness and armor saves. 8th edition is all about hit modifiers and invulns.

One thing that I think would help SM a lot is if plasma weapons were changed to give a mortal wound on a natural 1, and if rerolls occurred after modifiers.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Armigers are even worse. I really don't understand GW's underlying assumptions regarding balance, but I feel like they significantly over value toughness and armor saves. 8th edition is all about hit modifiers and invulns.

One thing that I think would help SM a lot is if plasma weapons were changed to give a mortal wound on a natural 1, and if rerolls occurred after modifiers.

I think they struggle with the fact that each toughness point jump has very different levels of benefit, and the jump from T6 to T7 is arguably the least valuable in the game (unless you’re playing against pure bikes), and is where a huge pile of things like dreadnoughts sit. They also don’t yet seem to have grasped that they’ve allowed invulns to proliferate on powerful units to the point where weapons with AP better than -2 tend to be overcosted because you so often won’t see the benefit (which is another thing that dings armigers).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Armigers I'm sure were overtuned because they'll likely see some love in the IK codex (what with being a bit important for an all-IK army). Dreadnoughts are pretty unfortunate considering, IMO thats the classic design people think when they imagine "stompy marine robot".

On a more positive note, I like that redemptor dreads look like the coffin's sitting in a pocket. Or someone knitted it a sweater :3:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

One_Wing posted:

I think they struggle with the fact that each toughness point jump has very different levels of benefit, and the jump from T6 to T7 is arguably the least valuable in the game (unless you’re playing against pure bikes), and is where a huge pile of things like dreadnoughts sit. They also don’t yet seem to have grasped that they’ve allowed invulns to proliferate on powerful units to the point where weapons with AP better than -2 tend to be overcosted because you so often won’t see the benefit (which is another thing that dings armigers).

Exactly. A -1 to hit is a flat reduction. An invulnerable save is a flat reduction. Armor saves are variable with the weapon's AP. Depending on the weapon increasing toughness can have no effect.

It's been a year and GW still hasn't really grasped that.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Armigers are supposedly significantly cheaper in the codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Armigers are supposedly significantly cheaper in the codex.

Oh that's good news.