Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If only the Science Ninjas were working on a dang laptop for the boss instead of wicked-sweet caster guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still don't see why he can't use clones to do paperwork

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Exactly, I understand not doing it if he's on a mission/in a meeting/visiting another nation (too much risk of it accidentally popping) but if all he's got to do is sit at his desk and do paperwork he could easily just leave a clone at the office and go home (especially since it was his daughter's birthday and he already screwed up once with Boruto).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 16, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Because it would ruin the fact it's a rather tortured and not well thought out metaphor for Kishimoto having to teleconference with his family.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
in the movie, he almost trips while lifting the cake takes about 5 more steps then pops.

In the episode they cut out the almost trip with a shot of Himawari, then cut back to the clone popping

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Because it would be "worse" for a Clone to pop at work than at home, arguably. The real problem is he's poo poo at delegation and does all the paperwork himself instead of trusting it to Iruka/Shikamaru etc. The actual amount of paperwork Naruto is vital for is a lot smaller if he has people he trusts to go over most of it for him.

Naruto is bad at managing his own time effectively, news at 11.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Because it would be "worse" for a Clone to pop at work than at home, arguably. The real problem is he's poo poo at delegation and does all the paperwork himself instead of trusting it to Iruka/Shikamaru etc. The actual amount of paperwork Naruto is vital for is a lot smaller if he has people he trusts to go over most of it for him.

Naruto is bad at managing his own time effectively, news at 11.

This seemed to be a problem for Tsunade and Kakashi too, to be fair. I have no idea how Hiruzen managed it.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
What I'm most surprised at is how everyone surrounding Naruto is apparently ok with letting him overwork himself to the bone, with only a half assed "you really need to relax, you work too hard!" every once in a while. Working yourself to that point plays hell on your overall performance and decision-making, you'd think the people he can delegate to would realize this and boot his rear end home before he starts making insane and sleep-deprived decisions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
heads of state work much better hours than weekly mangaka

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Umbreon posted:

What I'm most surprised at is how everyone surrounding Naruto is apparently ok with letting him overwork himself to the bone, with only a half assed "you really need to relax, you work too hard!" every once in a while. Working yourself to that point plays hell on your overall performance and decision-making, you'd think the people he can delegate to would realize this and boot his rear end home before he starts making insane and sleep-deprived decisions.

Imagine if some rear end in a top hat supervillain attacks konoha when the hokage can't even use his shadow clones to carry a cake properly. No wonder the village gets destroyed.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

This seemed to be a problem for Tsunade and Kakashi too, to be fair. I have no idea how Hiruzen managed it.

We never saw Sarutobi actually doing anything but creeping on people with his crystal ball and handing out jobs. Don't think we ever say the First or Second doing any paperwork either.

...poo poo, no wonder Naruto is overworked, he's trying to do 6 kage's worth or paperwork because those lazy fucks never got poo poo done.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

We never saw Sarutobi actually doing anything but creeping on people with his crystal ball and handing out jobs. Don't think we ever say the First or Second doing any paperwork either.

...poo poo, no wonder Naruto is overworked, he's trying to do 6 kage's worth or paperwork because those lazy fucks never got poo poo done.

I assume things were less formalized in Hashirama's day. And it's not like we see a lot of Hashirama or Tobirama as Hokage anyway.

(We never even learn how Hashirama died. My pet theory is that he was taken down by multiple Kage-level opponents at once, including the First Tsuchikage (mentioned to be a bug user in the anime) who countered his Wood Style with super-termites.)

Edit: Though the line in the anime about the First Tsuchikage's Kamizuru Clan falling from favor doesn't fit with the latter reveal that Onoki is the First's grandson. Though Onoki might not be considered a Kamizuru because the First is his maternal grandfather, or because he doesn't use bug techniques.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 16, 2018

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Silver2195 posted:

I assume things were less formalized in Hashirama's day. And it's not like we see a lot of Hashirama or Tobirama as Hokage anyway.

(We never even learn how Hashirama died. My pet theory is that he was taken down by multiple Kage-level opponents at once, including the First Tsuchikage (mentioned to be a bug user in the anime) who countered his Wood Style with super-termites.)

Edit: Though the line in the anime about the First Tsuchikage's Kamizuru Clan falling from favor doesn't fit with the latter reveal that Onoki is the First's grandson. Though Onoki might not be considered a Kamizuru because the First is his maternal grandfather, or because he doesn't use bug techniques.

Didn't Kakuzu fight and kill Hashirama? He references stealing Hashirama's heart during his fight with Naruto.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Nah he fought and got owned by Hashirama, which caused his village to shun him -- that's why he became a missing-nin.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

ANBU and Root, probably.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HitTheTargets posted:

ANBU and Root, probably.

So paperwork was the one thing they were good at tracking and disposing of?

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

tsob posted:

So paperwork was the one thing they were good at tracking and disposing of?

"Behold, I have created a generation of emotionless robot children!"
"...why?"
"They will do all my paperwork for me. I call them 'computers.'"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real reason naruto alone spends his every waking hour on paperwork is because he is barely literate. it turns out chucking an orphan baby into an apartment with a box of instant ramen and shrugging isn't so great for mental and social development.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The current arc of Boruto continues to be better than the movie in nearly every aspect. I like the extra context they've been adding and that Boruto actually feels guilty about using the device to win (like I've said, movie Boruto and series Boruto are almost two completely different characters).

I am sort of curious when the reveal about said device is coming now (in the movie it happened during the match with Shikadai).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Having not seen the movie it surprises me just how much Boruto is shown to be using the device. He used it almost immediately in his first one on one fight. Maybe he could have won it without that if he'd been a bit more settled and wasn't in a "I have to impress my dad" mindset or wasn't already after breaking his own reluctance to use it prior, but he immediately jumps to it and it paints a pretty stark picture of what a big fish in a small pond mindset he has that the first time he starts interacting with a larger pool of skilled ninja he almost immediately and entirely starts relying on it versus the easy skill and confidence he has shown up to that point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

Having not seen the movie it surprises me just how much Boruto is shown to be using the device. He used it almost immediately in his first one on one fight. Maybe he could have won it without that if he'd been a bit more settled and wasn't in a "I have to impress my dad" mindset or wasn't already after breaking his own reluctance to use it prior, but he immediately jumps to it and it paints a pretty stark picture of what a big fish in a small pond mindset he has that the first time he starts interacting with a larger pool of skilled ninja he almost immediately and entirely starts relying on it versus the easy skill and confidence he has shown up to that point.

Hell, in this episode we even see him initially put it away before the match only to pull it right back out again after overhearing the conversation between Shikadai and his parents.

But otherwise I really wouldn't recommend watching the movie as it's not very good (then again, there aren't a whole lot of good Naruto movies to begin with honestly). Just stick to the current remake of it that's going on in the anime instead.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

The current arc of Boruto continues to be better than the movie in nearly every aspect. I like the extra context they've been adding and that Boruto actually feels guilty about using the device to win (like I've said, movie Boruto and series Boruto are almost two completely different characters).

I am sort of curious when the reveal about said device is coming now (in the movie it happened during the match with Shikadai).

Definitely during the last fight, against Iron Gaara. What I want to know is how all his friends are gonna react to Boruto being a big mean cheater. I don't think that was ever shown in the movie.

I'm not sure if I like how half the cast has spent the last few episodes jobbing hard against Iron Gaara. Would've been cool if Lee or Chocho just beat his rear end.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

Definitely during the last fight, against Iron Gaara. What I want to know is how all his friends are gonna react to Boruto being a big mean cheater. I don't think that was ever shown in the movie.

I'm not sure if I like how half the cast has spent the last few episodes jobbing hard against Iron Gaara. Would've been cool if Lee or Chocho just beat his rear end.

There's a chance he might lose to Mitsuki next episode but somehow I doubt it. But yeah, he strikes me as a good opponent for Boruto to blow his cover on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mymla posted:

What I want to know is how all his friends are gonna react to Boruto being a big mean cheater. I don't think that was ever shown in the movie.

I'm honestly more curious how some of the ninjas from other villages will respond. His friends are his friends; they might be put out but ultimately they'll all understand and encourage him to grow from it. That first guy Naruto faced in the 3rd round who used bubblegum explosions had earlier commented on how Boruto was Naruto's son, repeating a common theme about people looking down on Boruto because of his family and I'm wondering how they're going to view Boruto after it comes out. And how Boruto will respond.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mymla posted:

Well to be fair the movie went from "you're a dumb cheater" to "alien invasion" in the breath of a sales pitch. I don't think anyone was gonna give Boruto poo poo after just watching his dad get abducted.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Well to be fair the movie went from "you're a dumb cheater" to "alien invasion" in the breath of a sales pitch. I don't think anyone was gonna give Boruto poo poo after just watching his dad get abducted.

No, but they will after he comes home again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Hell, in this episode we even see him initially put it away before the match only to pull it right back out again after overhearing the conversation between Shikadai and his parents.

But otherwise I really wouldn't recommend watching the movie as it's not very good (then again, there aren't a whole lot of good Naruto movies to begin with honestly). Just stick to the current remake of it that's going on in the anime instead.

I hadn't actually seen the latest episode when I posted yesterday, but now that I have watched it I'm torn on Boruto. Which impresses me, because I don't think any other shonen series I've ever watched/read has ever made me conflicted about the actions of the protagonist(s). Boruto very obviously wants to impress his dad and the device he's using isn't even bad in any way on it's own, but when Cho-Cho, Shikadai and Inojin are commiserating each other after Shikadai loses and Shikadai talks about how he really thought he was gonna win but losing hurts I was genuinely upset at Boruto. It's not subtle writing or anything, but it gives a degree of depth to the character and actions that's sympathetic and interesting. It does make me all the more sad that at some point we're going to have to go back to world threatening poo poo, since Boruto is great as a show about someone growing up in his father's shadow and day to day poo poo.

I'm really hoping the TV show gives the story time to focus on the fallout of Boruto's actions, both to his friends and to the other ninja. I'm also curious what's going on with that ninja research dude. I thought he was being controlled originally, since some of his shots made him seem quite sinister in this arc (like when he asks if the ANBU dude caught Boruto's use of the device on film) but he seems normal enough most of the time that I'm wondering if he isn't just using Boruto despite the emotional harm it'll almost certainly cause Boruto to further his own agenda of making the device prosaic and acceptable.

Oh, and poor Cho-Cho. I was really hoping to see her go Rock Lee against Gaara's kid and force him to acknowledge her by making him use more of his power than he'd anticipated but she couldn't even put a single scratch on him and I don't think he ever even moved.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 26, 2018

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think it feels weird because Naruto was always treated as Objectively Morally Correct, and that the problems of the world would all be solved if they just turned to his point of view. Anytime he did something in the wrong it was always treated as "oh, boys will be boys" or slapstick doofiness. This feels like the first time that the main character has actually been in the wrong and feeling the effects of that.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
What's even bad about using that device anyway? When you boil it down, it's just another ninja tool, hell over there in the corner we have Tenten who's entire MO is using all kinds of ninja tools for any situation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a ninja tool that no one else has access to. in theory, anyone could be like tenten and produce infinite useless throwing weapons from her infinite useless scrolls.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Umbreon posted:

What's even bad about using that device anyway? When you boil it down, it's just another ninja tool, hell over there in the corner we have Tenten who's entire MO is using all kinds of ninja tools for any situation.

Yeah, the logic is a bit dumb tbh, but I can buy it since they were invented literally yesterday and none of the kids have had time to train with them. Either way, it is definitely cheating since Naruto said he doesn't want to allow them at the moment.

Personally, I'd make them part of the curriculum going forward, though.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

it's a ninja tool that no one else has access to. in theory, anyone could be like tenten and produce infinite useless throwing weapons from her infinite useless scrolls.

Would that not be a good thing? Most jutsus are all intended to be unique or at least not accessible to most ninjas

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
The exam was about showing your skills to impress the village leaders to go up in ranks, right? Is Bort really showing what he knows by using jutsus the glove had preinstalled by a scientist instead of his own work?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Level Seven posted:

The exam was about showing your skills to impress the village leaders to go up in ranks, right? Is Bort really showing what he knows by using jutsus the glove had preinstalled by a scientist instead of his own work?

Are the rest of the kids really showing what they know by using knives and explosive tags instead of their own two fists?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Umbreon posted:

It's a ninja tool that can produce almost any tool or jutsu on demand and only Boruto has access to it. It'd be fine if anyone could, but the fact only he has access to something that can flood an arena, produce huge gusts of wind etc. makes it an unfair advantage on his part. Naruto didn't allow it, but that seems to be more out of a sense of traditionalism on his part and there's really no reason not to, but only Boruto having one gives him tools no-one else can, that allows him to produce jutsu that seem beyond his level with no effort or price.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Mymla posted:

Are the rest of the kids really showing what they know by using knives and explosive tags instead of their own two fists?

I mean, if they trained hard to use 'em, yeah. Like the true or false test with the giant inkwells, it's more about testing the kids' mindsets than actual raw capability. Same with getting the bell from Kakashi, where the real test was teamwork and self-sacrifice. The thinking is, if Boruto is willing to cut corners to make things easier on him, it says he might bail when things get hard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The discussion on whether the glove thing is good or bad boils to two things:
A) Is Boruto in the wrong? Yes, he is cheating by using an extra magic thing that nobody else can use.
B) Should the glove be allowed? Possibly. I'm still on Naruto's side that the Chunnin Exam shouldn't be the beta test site for a weapon that can shoot every jutsu ever. It can deffo be a cool tool to be used and should be slowly integrated into the ninja world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, in the context of the exam it's cheating because Boruto is the only one who has access to it and it has nothing to do with demonstrating his personal skills but in an actual mission it probably could be useful (which we see in the manga actually).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 27, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

even if it were more widely available you still have Konoha as the only nation with this material advantage so you get into the whole question of how sporting that would be and what the peacetime relations are like (would the bracer cause strife? is this knowledge Konoha is in freely giving up to maintain"fairness?") etc.

anyway this show is good again and I'm glad I bothered to catch back up after that kinda crappy Byakuya stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

dogsicle posted:

even if it were more widely available you still have Konoha as the only nation with this material advantage so you get into the whole question of how sporting that would be and what the peacetime relations are like (would the bracer cause strife? is this knowledge Konoha is in freely giving up to maintain"fairness?") etc.

anyway this show is good again and I'm glad I bothered to catch back up after that kinda crappy Byakuya stuff

Ideally, they'd sell them to the other villages for huge profit.

And then hope war never happens again.