Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Subjunctive posted:

In what way?

I, uh, don't know, actually. It's just advice I've been given. I also saw a SVE video where they got the same result so I figured the advice was legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Maybe slow defrosting is better than quick? Try both, see for yourself. Perhaps compare to a fresh one as well.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've done both and don't think I could tell the difference except they were side to side.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
When you guys SV a frozen steak do you remove the still frozen steak from the vacuum sealed bag, season it, then reseal it? Or do you just throw the sealed unseasoned steak right into the water?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Argue posted:

I understand that a steak sous vided straight from the freezer won't be as good as a steak that was defrosted overnight then sous vided. What if I use sous vide at a low temperature to defrost the steak, let it cool down, then sous vide it as normal?

I actually did a very sort of scientific-ish test of this last month and reported on here that they tasted and felt the same. (One frozen, one not.)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Have you considered water displacement when using liquids in bags?

Also I always double seal, no exception. Call me paranoid but I haven't lost a single bag to leaky seams yet.

(I even triple sealed my 36 hour pork belly pancetta because I didn't want to have to bin that much meat)

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Argue posted:

I understand that a steak sous vided straight from the freezer won't be as good as a steak that was defrosted overnight then sous vided. What if I use sous vide at a low temperature to defrost the steak, let it cool down, then sous vide it as normal?
the waterbath will defrost the meat pretty quickly, moving water in contact with the bag will thaw it the quickest anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Argue posted:

I, uh, don't know, actually. It's just advice I've been given. I also saw a SVE video where they got the same result so I figured the advice was legit.

What result did they get, though? What was different about the steaks?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
This is the video in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UDFO-ifqC8

There was debate the last time that this posted and I also said I'd try it my self but haven't had a sale on steak that I'd be willing to try it with. Now on the other hand I have tried frozen chicken vs fresh chicken and for me there is a difference. The chick has a very grain-y like texture.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When you say frozen-vs-fresh, do you mean that only one has ever been frozen, or is it that one was still frozen when put in the hot bath?

I wonder why there’s the difference they describe for thawing method. I knew speed of freezing could affect cell wall damage, but not that speed of thawing mattered.

Maybe Kenji has an explanation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The fact that both freezing and thawing speed affect the quality of meat is pretty well explored in meat science.

It's one of those things that has a bunch of caveats and qualifications, but as a general rule you want to freeze fast and thaw slow. Chicken, in general, is more sensitive than pork, and pork is more sensitive than beef. But there are also differences between different cuts from the same animal, as well as the effects of different cooking methods.

In terms of underlying causes, the consensus view is that freezing faster than 0.5 C/min inhibits and limits the size and rate of formation of ice crystals in the tissue which would otherwise denature and disaggregate proteins (causing changes in texture and moisture retention). This is fairly well documented. Concern about thawing is somewhat less explored, but e.g. Colla & Prentice-Hernández (`Congelamento e Descongelamento - Sua Influência Sobre Os Alimentos', 2003) report empirical differences due to thawing rate, and propose that slower thawing allows re-absorption of more of the water displaced due to expansion during freezing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SubG posted:

Concern about thawing is somewhat less explored, but e.g. Colla & Prentice-Hernández (`Congelamento e Descongelamento - Sua Influência Sobre Os Alimentos', 2003) report empirical differences due to thawing rate, and propose that slower thawing allows re-absorption of more of the water displaced due to expansion during freezing.

Sure, cite at me in Spanish, you coward.

That’s really interesting, thanks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, cite at me in Spanish, you coward.

That’s really interesting, thanks.
Portuguese, not Spanish. I can't find an English translation of the Colla and Prentice-Hernández paper itself, but here's one that references it and reports similar conclusions: here.

Anyway, I didn't want to do a big reference dump because goons often seem to freak the gently caress out about that sort of thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SubG posted:

Anyway, I didn't want to do a big reference dump because goons often seem to freak the gently caress out about that sort of thing.

gently caress ‘em. This thread should be in SAL.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
The original maker of these things (Anova) was making them for biology labs long before fancy chefs got ahold of them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the first one I ever used was repurposed lab equipment.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

When you say frozen-vs-fresh, do you mean that only one has ever been frozen, or is it that one was still frozen when put in the hot bath?

I wonder why there’s the difference they describe for thawing method. I knew speed of freezing could affect cell wall damage, but not that speed of thawing mattered.

Maybe Kenji has an explanation.

By fresh I meant 'never' frozen. And by never I mean. It was chicken breast with like 5 to a pack and on more then 1 occasion I've opened the same packs and it's had ice and simi frozen chicken. The frozen chicken straight into the SV though was solid as a rock from my freezer.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://imgur.com/a/Y1xEYdm

Not me but impressive nonetheless.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Budgie posted:

https://imgur.com/a/Y1xEYdm

Not me but impressive nonetheless.

No.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Judging from the color of my steaks when I pull them out of a bath at 130 for a couple of hours...those don't look cooked at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, 2 hours at 145 should be grey.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

Judging from the color of my steaks when I pull them out of a bath at 130 for a couple of hours...those don't look cooked at all.

What do they look like?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

SubG posted:

slower thawing allows re-absorption of more of the water displaced due to expansion during freezing.

It also makes sense that the liquid that is not reabsorbed would leave the meat slowly, so quick thawing would make more liquid than could be dealt with in that time and cause cavitation which could lead to uneven cooking and further liquid loss during the cooking process.

Disclaimer: not a meat scientist.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Has anyone used a searing burner on a propane grill (the kind outside the main grill, not another burner on the inside) to sear sous vide stuff? Did it work well? I'm debating if it's worth the extra money to buy a grill with one.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Those things work pretty drat well in my opinion. How much extra are they? I assume you are talking about the ones with a ceramic heating element that has a ton of tiny holes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Glottis posted:

Those things work pretty drat well in my opinion. How much extra are they? I assume you are talking about the ones with a ceramic heating element that has a ton of tiny holes.

Looking at Home Depot's memorial day sale I can get a Nexgrill with side burner for $200 or a Monument Grills model with both side burner and sear burner for a hair under $300. There may be some quality advantage to the Monument model and the fact that it has both types of burners is handy since I routinely sear in cast iron outside for smoke reasons.

Seems worth it to me if the sear burner is worthwhile. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't spending a bunch on a useless feature.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, 2 hours at 145 should be grey.

The heat transfer likely isn't as efficient with the compost vs. with water.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Right, and that efficient transfer is the point of SV, so I dunno what’s going on here. An oven?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons › Sous Vide - The heat transfer likely isn't as efficient with the compost vs. with water.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So this isn’t a great pic overall since it’s leftovers since gone cold on the counter, but I tried out finishing a steak with a heat gun today and holy hot drat.

That surface to center line looked photoshopped even in real life. I usually finish on cast iron with some butter and I’m more than happy with it but this was a whole different experience.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Foodsaver @ Costco; worth it? I’m here now...

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Feenix posted:

Foodsaver @ Costco; worth it? I’m here now...

Model and price?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The reason to get it is the unlimited warranty. Foodsavers all eventually die. Save the box and receipt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dewgy posted:

So this isn’t a great pic overall since it’s leftovers since gone cold on the counter, but I tried out finishing a steak with a heat gun today and holy hot drat.

That surface to center line looked photoshopped even in real life. I usually finish on cast iron with some butter and I’m more than happy with it but this was a whole different experience.

That’s cool! I have a heat gun I bought for lighting my grill, and I’ve been meaning to try it on a steak.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Which heat guns do you guys like? Alternatively, arguments for a torch over a heat gun?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steak with just a torch sucks. (I’ve never bothered using my Searzall.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ColHannibal posted:

Model and price?

99 bucks.
Includes a bunch of pack-in consumables.

I got it. Can always return it if I hosed up.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Feenix posted:

I got it. Can always return it if I hosed up.

I found their new design to be overly complicated versus the previous models. I didn’t like mine at all... then after eight months it suddenly stopped working, so I returned it.

However, assuming yours doesn't die it’s really just a matter of opinion. Like you said, it’s Costco so you can always return it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
We've had a couple of Costco Foodsavers. We're on the 3rd one now, which I think is that same 5480. It is a bit more complicated but I feel like the design changes have improved functionality in a couple ways so that's not necessarily a bad thing. We've had this one for a couple months now and it's still working perfectly. Still nice to know I'll get a free upgrade whenever it inevitably shits the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of heatguns, Kenji and Adam Savage tested a bunch of methods for finishing sv steaks and IIRC cooking on top of the coal chimney was their favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw