Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Wait, are they still dragging out Alec Baldwin to do Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah. Anthony Atamanuik on The President Show is so much better, I hope they keep running specials for that.

SNL can be great, the John Mulaney and Donald Glover episodes proved that recently. Tons of great sketches through those two.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

sorry you voted for trump and regret it i guess?

Please keep your mental unbalances out of this thread. Every thread does not need to be about trump.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The real answer is go to your local open mic night. You will see some cringe-worthy poo poo.

edit: SNL is almost as bad though

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 26, 2018

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I've never met a non-american who thought SNL was good. Ditto for the big american comedy-talk shows, save for John Stewart occasionally.
FWIW for a lovely outside opinion, no idea how common this is.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

snl is usually dire, but sometimes lorne hires the right people and the right things happen that something funny happens. last time that happened was hiring the lonely island guys, because their digital shorts were always far and away actually way funnier than the live show.

in the 90s there was poo poo like jack handy, norm's update, and later on will farrell, but before that aside from a few good cast members the 80s were really dire too. and the 70s stuff isn't as good as anyone who was alive to see it new claims. it was just different and the right kind of subversive that's acceptable on a network tv station, at the time. it's not really good honestly.

outsiders never enjoying these shows are probably missing some cultural element honestly. I don't loving understand the appeal of british talk shows, and a lot of british comedy either. obviously the better stuff crosses these boundaries but mediocre tv made for americans will be absolutely awful for a non american probably.

sick brunch kills
Nov 18, 2016

Brunch DJ goin' hard as fuck

This avatar brought to you by the Lowtax Needs a New Spine Fund
Charlie Murphyeeeeehhh

Also I saw some open mic poo poo last year where the dude was doing tranny jokes/Black jokes/and motherfucking FRIENDS (the show) jokes. Not even sure they qualified as jokes poo poo was wretched.

sick brunch kills fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 27, 2018

sick brunch kills
Nov 18, 2016

Brunch DJ goin' hard as fuck

This avatar brought to you by the Lowtax Needs a New Spine Fund
Also this guy is a train wreck and his standup is some stuff hahahaha https://youtu.be/LMDXmVRY9JQ

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
SNL is great

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

I respectfully disagree

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Suck Nuts Live

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Peetown Manning posted:

Suck Nuts Live

I can watch selected skits from snl shows for hours but I can't force myself to sit though a single unedited episode, so I'm glad there are other people out there that are prepared to do it for me.

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
The worst I've seen in real life wasn't as bad as Jeff Dunham's netflix special, it was just mildly amusing, I got a few smiles and chuckles but it wasn't so boring I wanted to rip my eyes out. Dude just kinda lost the audience and then started asking what cologne we were wearing, it was engaging and he had the charisma it didn't turn into the flaming ball of awkward poo poo seem of these other replies became.

The other lady who went before him I found more entertaining, I don't remember her jokes too much but she was shaking so hard I couldn't tell if it was geniune nerves or if she had the Michael J Fox condition, she was vibrating hard on stage. She was funny.

C+ for the guy, B for the lady IMO. I hope they got better material

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
do you guys remember darrell bluett??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qg6AkhIYVs

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I put on the netflix one where Chris tucker came back and did a standup special and It just was not funny

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always roll my eyes when people refer to things as painful to watch or cringe-worthy because my threshold for that is so hi, but I couldn’t make it through 15 minutes of Damon Wayans Woke-Ish before turning it off and yelling “WHO COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE FOR?” At my TV

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I used to think the mid nineties were the golden age of SNL until I realized its different for everybody; SNL was at its peak whenever you were 10-14

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SNL is good when you have someone with talent and is rising up, who is getting to do good sketches and is capable of making things funny.

That was Kate Mckinnon for a while but something about the sketches lorne goes for and the ones that are being written, it's just total poo poo right now.

the last time i laughed at SNL as the alien abduction skit, but that was mostly because of the constant character breaking

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Haverchuck posted:

I used to think the mid nineties were the golden age of SNL until I realized its different for everybody; SNL was at its peak whenever you were 10-14

the early to mid 90's was the peak though

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
SNL was only good when Phil Hartman was involved, and Jan Hooks

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
and for the record it was Adam Sandler who ruined the show

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SNL was never good. 1 good sketch in 90 minutes is pretty poor.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mojo1701a posted:

One of their former writers in "Live from New York" referred to it now as a Democratic institution, and it really shows. It's not irreverent like it used to be because it is the establishment. I can't cite the part, but I think it was that same writer that once compared it to Monty Python: Python would make fun of the queen, but you'd never expect her to actually show up, whereas SNL has actually done that. When you make a joke making fun of Hillary Clinton and she shows up to laugh about it, you've essentially undercut the bite of the joke.

let's do this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jh2n5ki0KE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-_ZDrypec

I could've sworn there was some other thing SNL did like right after the election or right before where people were crying on stage and thanking her or something stupid, but I can't find it on youtube

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Real Talk, Kate McKinnon singing Hallelujah the day after Trump won is a timeless moment of Americana

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 27, 2018

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Real Talk, Kate McKinnon singing Hallelujah the day after Trump one is a timeless moment of Americana

:chloe:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

To have that much emotion over the outcome of that particular race was americana in the kitschy doesn't-age-well sense, in that the same way bored drivers might drive past the worlds largest meatball and wonder at the idiot who made it

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I've gotta nth David Cross. I've never seen him live and Bigger and Blacker was pretty funny - as I recall. I like him on Mr. Show and lots of guest appearances, BUT -

He does this thing where he belabors a joke for as long as possible. He girds it like an awkward, ponderous subject with confusing language or something just embarrassing he's afraid to talk about. Like he's trying to avoid a miscommunication but ends up explaining things too much and tada! that's the joke. The one that always comes to mind is the audiobook of his autobiography which has some funny moments. Then he kicks off "That's why I'm reading this book. Well, I'm not reading it now, you're just listening to it. I mean, I am reading it now, I'm not re-reading it. You're listening but you couldn't be listening if I didn't read it before..." on and ON AND ON.

It is loving annoying and it has never made me laugh. Instead it's more like a signature that is a dead giveaway for when he's a writer on a show. If I'm watching him and Bob Odenkirk and I find myself going "god, the punchline in this sketch is loving interminable" my next thought is "David Cross wrote it."

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012
I’d produced a variety show one time where every week some local talent would do 5-10 minutes of new material in between sketch comedy. Usually the special guests wound up being ridiculously talented to the point I would hate them. One week though, I’d booked a standup whose entire s brick was that he was A) gay, and B) holding a large black microphone. He was nervous as hell, and every time a joke didn’t land he’d say “oooh, not the first time I’ve had a long black thing in my hand.” The worst of it was that he inadvertently hijacked the stage, so after fifteen minutes of trying to get him to wrap it up (ooh, not the first time he’s had to wrap it up), I had to cut the lights. And he kept going.

Finally, he got off the stage and we were able to wrap up a heavily edited second half of the show. The next day he sent me a message thanking me for the time and asking if we could do it again sometime.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i saw Bill Cosby with my family in the early 90s and he did a lot of engaging with the audience and everything. and he talks to this youngish guy in the front row and was ike "are you married" and the guy says "my wife died recently" and it was awkward and i guess to break the tension Cosby said that sometimes he looks at his wife while she is sleeping and wishes she wouldnt wake up??

it wasnt funny then but now that we know what we know it's even worse

funny guy other than that tho

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

ChesterJT posted:

Please keep your mental unbalances out of this thread. Every thread does not need to be about trump.

lol if yu arent constantly thinking about trump

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if you weren't phased by the election of drumpft, you're an alt right poo poo bag

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Code Jockey posted:

let's do this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jh2n5ki0KE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-_ZDrypec

I could've sworn there was some other thing SNL did like right after the election or right before where people were crying on stage and thanking her or something stupid, but I can't find it on youtube

These are perfect examples of why SNL is not even comedy anymore. Also perfect evidence that musical comedy is never funny.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

if you weren't phased by the election of drumpft, you're an alt right poo poo bag

the drumpf joke wasn't funny back when john oliver ran it into the ground, and it's not funny now whether you like trump or not.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

These are perfect examples of why SNL is not even comedy anymore. Also perfect evidence that musical comedy is never funny.

blazing saddles had some good musical comedy

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

the drumpf joke wasn't funny back when john oliver ran it into the ground, and it's not funny now whether you like trump or not.

It doesn't have to be funny to make a point.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

gotta make a drumpf joke once in a while or Correct The Record drops you from the payroll

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

It doesn't have to be funny to make a point.

If your job is to be funny, then yes it does have to be funny.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Are you talking about SNL? Because you responded to a post that had that name in it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
let's talk about good stand up. dylan moran is loving hysterical. his shows are excellent, he and graham linehan (sp?) are top quality. you can tell dylan has an extremely surreal imagination which he curtails in a lot of his work just to make it any kind of accessible. black books is full of moments of these deeply surreal jokes and it's one of my favorite parts of the show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4wBLUBa8YI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Dylan Moran is loving great.

Also, it's "fazed" not "phased" PdB you goddamn gently caress, ya.

• Locked thread