Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

wormil posted:

I tried a google search but it just gave me 8,000,000 hits on recipes... I've been buying Boars Head pepperoni and it's way too greasy. Should I be looking for something specific for pizza or buy another brand?

What I like to do is parcook the pepperoni to get the grease under control. Just lay out a single layer on a couple paper towels on a plate, and microwave for like 5-10 seconds at a time just until a bunch of the oil gets ejected, then apply to pizza as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tendales posted:

What I like to do is parcook the pepperoni to get the grease under control. Just lay out a single layer on a couple paper towels on a plate, and microwave for like 5-10 seconds at a time just until a bunch of the oil gets ejected, then apply to pizza as normal.

Thanks and sorry, I somehow posted in the wrong thread.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Love my instant pot. Stopped at the grocery store after work yesterday, saw chuck was on sale, and had chili for dinner the same night.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tendales posted:

I do the same thing. Make a huge difference.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Tendales posted:

Definitely trying this trick next time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Some of you may have seen my post about getting 100 lbs of free onions... Tonight we are having a campfire, hot dogs, smores, corn on the cob. I'm going to try cooking onions in the hot coals. Saw it on a youtube video, guy cooks them in the coals for an hour, peels and serves with butter, seasoning, and a splash of vinegar.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Grilled trout stuffed with a mixture of crab meat, lemon, ricotta, and parsley.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Big Beef City posted:

That looks and sounds incredible.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

that moment when you realize you posted "fish nutted but it's still sucking.jpg" by mischance.

...it was still good.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Chicken curry and rice, hummus and cucumbers!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

gimme

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ogopogo posted:

Looks amazing. Did you use full cream for the curry or something else?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ogopogo posted:

gently caress yeah put that in me

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

ogopogo posted:

gosh that photography. i want to smell what you're smellin

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Had a tuna steak and wanted to do something different than sashimi or seared, so I thought about frying. Marinated it in soy, mirin, and yuzukosho for a bit, panko coated and deep fried. Also fried a lump of green beans and made a little donburi.

Turned out fantastic, definitely will do this again. Need to do something more with the green beans though, could use more flavor in there.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Without seeming disrespectful, just dump some MSG in there on the green beans as a cheap shot?

Did the necessary on the tuna, it looks like, A++ on that one and more.
e: n/m saw you marinaded everything, that's my bad. I bet that was balls to the wall. Nice.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 27, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Citrus really helps greens imo.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Cheap corn season so Corn Chowder with Charred Poblano and Corn & Cod Pakora type things.

Duck Egg Linguini, Clams, Mussels, Asparagus, Stupid Big Clam.

The Meatloaf

Roast Monkfish, Leeks, Confit Potato, Beetroot

Roast Cod, Beet and Arugula Salad

Pre-Memorial Day Donarish Kebabs, Homemade Pita, Garlic Mayo, Pickled Chillies, Cucumber/Tomato/Onion/Lime/Mint Salad. Potato Fennel Salad. Obvious Corn. Little question. Of the 14 American adults in attendance not one knew that Pita has a pocket in which stuff is stuffed. Is this normal?

Dessert for above: Vanilla Ice Cream, Roast Strawberry Sauce, Golden Syrup Honeycomb, Bee Pollen (only the latter was not home made)

Big Beef City posted:

drat.

Grand Fromage posted:

Had a tuna steak and wanted to do something different than sashimi or seared, so I thought about frying. Marinated it in soy, mirin, and yuzukosho for a bit, panko coated and deep fried. Also fried a lump of green beans and made a little donburi.

Turned out fantastic, definitely will do this again. Need to do something more with the green beans though, could use more flavor in there.
Goddamn

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's wayyyy too loving hot to cook a real meal so I made bibim naengmyeon.

Cold buckwheat noodles with chili sauce, shredded chicken, cucumber, and a soft egg. So good and satisfying on a hot day.

If the heat keeps up like this, might have to break out the beef broth for mul naengmyeon too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Holy poo poo the thread has been a conflagration lately...well done everyone and pretend I quoted you all

e. a few glasses in

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 28, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus. Part of me wishes there was some kind of goon potluck where everyone could come and bring dishes of choice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Corn is indeed on sale, so in advance of Memorial Day here is the simplest of grill meals...

Strip steak topped with sautéed mushrooms, grilled cob of corn, all on a bed of spinach and topped with mushroom beurre noisette

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 28, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
beef madras with veg, not the prettiest picture but delicious nonetheless. store bought yogurt and naan not pictured

buttered angel hair with chicken sausage, fresh romano, and fried sage

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Everything on this page has been absolute fire. I have a few to post but the app is broken.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tendales posted:

Hell yeah I have an hour before I throw my pan pizzas in the oven, great timing to try out this trick.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hummus Masabacha, "Fried Tomatoes", and Pita Laffa with Za'atar

One of my favorite dinners of all time. Zahav & Jerusalem are amazing cookbooks, but y'all probably already know that.

The laffa wasn't really as pale as it looks. They turned out great.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I was lucky enough to go to a dinner cooked by Michael Solomonov. It was truly mind blowing. That all looks great.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I looked out in the back yard a day or two ago and saw that our hibiscus is going absolutely nuts. So I figured I had to do something with this.

"Something" was floral inspired vegetarian sushi.

Hibiscus tea, sesame watermelon hand roll with avocado and rosemary flowers (from front yard) with smoked Mexican black salt, sauteed hibiscus and sweet onion maki, baked watermelon and feta nigiri with Himalayan pink salt.

I also pickled a magnolia flower, but it was way too herbal in the salad I attempted. I might make drinks with it later.

Dessert was candied hibiscus and bacon brownies a la mode, which I will definitely be making again.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We were too hungry for pics but I tried the so called "butter burger" which is basically a cheeseburger with onions and big glob of butter on the top bun. I reigned the glob into about a TB of butter but it was amazing. I can see why they are popular.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm bad at pics and plating but dry brined pork chops for dinner. It was the best pork chop I've ever made. 24 hours in the fridge on a wire rack, both sides coated with salt, brown sugar, and a few spices. Very tender. Might be a tad pink for some but it was warm and I went with it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Enjoy your tasty trichinosis.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

I did not make that but raw pork can be great

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

wormil posted:

I'm bad at pics and plating but dry brined pork chops for dinner. It was the best pork chop I've ever made. 24 hours in the fridge on a wire rack, both sides coated with salt, brown sugar, and a few spices. Very tender. Might be a tad pink for some but it was warm and I went with it.

Sounds tasty and doesn't look terribly raw, I'd probably eat it. But did you let it come to room temp before cooking? I usually get a nicer gradient of well done to pink when doing that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cooked a nice wagyu rump up with some homemade anchovy and habanero butter

Second mid devouring shot to show colour

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Serendipitaet posted:

Sounds tasty and doesn't look terribly raw, I'd probably eat it. But did you let it come to room temp before cooking? I usually get a nicer gradient of well done to pink when doing that.

That doesn't really do anything meaningful.

Also, if wormil is in the US, trichinosis is almost non existent in pigs unless you're hunting down a wild hog yourself or buying from Bubba the hillbilly down the road who butchers out of his rusty, leaky, dirty shed. Even then, the risk is fairly low.

Unless you're serving super young, old, or immunocompromised people, pork is fine cooked to 135ish at a "will this make me spew lava from my rear end" level.

On a taste level, I prefer 140 or a touch higher. Too rare of pork loin has a mushy texture that is kinda gross imo.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 2, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Serendipitaet posted:

Sounds tasty and doesn't look terribly raw, I'd probably eat it. But did you let it come to room temp before cooking?

No, we had surprise non dinner guests who delayed me starting dinner so I had to go straight from the fridge. I like my chops medium, this was a little under but didn't taste raw.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lazy comfort food for dinner for so made some lamb chops with roasted potatoes

A little dollop of habanero paste at the back for extra flavour.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I made a lot (A LOT) of feijoada.

No spice, so normal people can enjoy it - i'll add my own hot sauce. The stock was the juices from 10kg of pork forequarter which was turned into pulled pork some of which is in this!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

iRend posted:

No spice, so normal people can enjoy it

This makes no sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
As a child haver I empathize completely.