Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Platystemon posted:

Great news! He’s for sale.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I just got a three pack of Jinhao 992 pens (one of them has a hooded nib, don't ask me why), after reading online about them being easy to turn into eyedroppers.

But, all three have a decorative blind cap that pops out (so the barrel is a cylinder, not a cone), which normally wouldn't be a big deal as I've got epoxy, but also, one of the barrels has cracked from the mighty pressure of being cleaned and placed on a desk (I don't think it was cracked from the mail, but I can't prove that it wasn't).

Being pure chinesium, I assume I may have gotten a bad batch, and at $1.28 shipped I have no issue with that, but has anyone had a different experience? I've already turned two preppys into eyedroppers and may just order more of those for funsies. They just look a teeny bit less professional in meetings.

It's been 23 days since I got my first FP in 20 years and I think I'm about to hit a dozen owned, largely thanks to china. This poo poo is beyond addicting and has led to a chain of "where else can I unplug" in my life.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Was in a meeting yesterday and my boss' boss says, "Are you using a fountain pen? That's awesome."

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

stealie72 posted:

I just got a three pack of Jinhao 992 pens (one of them has a hooded nib, don't ask me why), after reading online about them being easy to turn into eyedroppers.

But, all three have a decorative blind cap that pops out (so the barrel is a cylinder, not a cone), which normally wouldn't be a big deal as I've got epoxy, but also, one of the barrels has cracked from the mighty pressure of being cleaned and placed on a desk (I don't think it was cracked from the mail, but I can't prove that it wasn't).

Being pure chinesium, I assume I may have gotten a bad batch, and at $1.28 shipped I have no issue with that, but has anyone had a different experience? I've already turned two preppys into eyedroppers and may just order more of those for funsies. They just look a teeny bit less professional in meetings.

It's been 23 days since I got my first FP in 20 years and I think I'm about to hit a dozen owned, largely thanks to china. This poo poo is beyond addicting and has led to a chain of "where else can I unplug" in my life.

I recall reading on FPN or something that people just throw some glue down at the bottom when they're eyedroppering those, and that seemed to work out fine. I did have one (of three) crack on me from the terrible force of "screwing the drat pen back together," but that was pretty immediate — I'm tempted to assume that if it isn't cracked/cracking right out the gate, it'll probably be fine. On the other hand, I just use the converters, so probably fine is safe enough for me. Less so if the whole drat thing is full of ink, I'd imagine.

My problem with them is just ordinary crap like "this converter isn't flowing very well," which I think is one of those strange problems where "just push the nib unit in a bit more until it clicks," is the solution, now that I think of it. Other than that, they're fine. Just be certain which converter was with which nib. Since I now have one broken barrel, I've ended up with a spare nib/feed unit and converter (they just unscrew from the section). I've noticed that one converter doesn't actually seat properly with one particular nib, just the one it came with. I suppose that's not an issue for you, if you're going to eyedropper it, though.

I'd like to see this hooded one, though. Seems kinda interesting.

Arbitrary WS601 update: no leaks, so I either got lucky or the random folks on ebay no longer have the original, questionable designs. Works nicely after sitting for a few days, ink window owns (it's a drat sight nicer than the little ink slit on my 616, and you don't have to hold it up to the light like a Pelikan). It really is a very nice upgrade over a regular hero 616 — the cap seems a bit nicer, with smaller gaps, and the whole pen is noticeably weightier.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
drat you Canada Post, faster! Deliver faster! :argh:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Almost two years ago, my grandfather passed. He was a CFO of a huge research hospital and as Scottish as they come. He wasn't a particularly nice man, but he sure as hell was Old School.

I just got done cleaning 50 plus years of ink off his Waterman. I don't think it's anything special and have about thirty fountain pens. Is this one alright for daily use and whatnot? It feels alien compared to my fleet of Lamys.

Next, my Irish great grandfather's fountain pen he used when he was an intelligence officer in WWII for the RAF. It's one of those classic designs with a shroud around the nib and a button to press that inks the pen. I'll probably let a professional fix that one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That's a Waterman Gentleman. Not especially valuable but very good quality and an excellent 18k nib. Definitely a couple of steps up from a Lamy Safari/Al-Star.

Edit: Also, much less than 50 years old. Maybe half of that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

grack posted:

That's a Waterman Gentleman. Not especially valuable but very good quality and an excellent 18k nib. Definitely a couple of steps up from a Lamy Safari/Al-Star.

Edit: Also, much less than 50 years old. Maybe half of that.

Any idea how I can date it? From the family, it's apparently been around forever (since the 70's) but they wouldn't have noticed if it got switched along the way.

I don't recall, but my great grandfathers pen was able to be dated down to which season of the year it was made in! 1930's or something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm considering unnecessarily complicating/ organizing my work notes into 5 colors for the 5 days of the week that correspond to the rainbow: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, and Blue (with a possible opening of Purple for occasional weekend notes, but I'll hold off on that for now). I thought having colors that go with days of the week would help me when flipping through notes.

So far I have Monteverde Orange, which I'm not in love with but like more than Diamine Orange, and KWZ Baltic Memories (Blue), which looks like crap on Field Notes but is really nice on Moleskine, though it tends to smudge even days after using.

That leaves Red, Yellow, and Green. So far I'm leaning towards Robert Oster "Aussie Gold" for the Yellow, since it looks like a true Yellow with acceptable visibility, and KWZ Green #5.

Since I'm trying to expand my ink brands, I was thinking Noodler's for the Red. Any recommendations? I'd like something reliable (relatively quick dry) and not too bright.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Berning Red is a quick dry Noodler's red. Honestly though, what you want is Scheaffer Skrip Red.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Red-black. Might be closer to brown than you’re really looking for, but it’s basically perfect.

I’d love to see what you come up with for yellow, though. That seems like it’d be better for your [hopefully rarely-used] weekend color, for the sake of readability.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Alt goldgrun would be a great choice. Unique, highly visible, pretty(!) and lots of shading. Good performance, too.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
In addition to Sheaffer Skrip, Diamine Red Dragon and MB Corn Poppy Red are big bold reds worth considering.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Alt goldgrun would be a great choice. Unique, highly visible, pretty(!) and lots of shading. Good performance, too.

That's true, although (from an asian F) it looks very light in my moleskine. Helpfully, iOS's camera refuses to replicate that lightness without me loving around with exposures and stuff.

Assuming whatever pens you're using put out enough ink for Aussie Gold to look like the ink swabs, don't forget that if you're using both sides of the page, you probably don't want anything at all dark on one side and a yellow/light green on the other. This isn't too much of a problem for moleskines, in my terribly limited experience, but you also mentioned field notes and I honestly can't remember how well those handled showthrough. I've had Alt-goldgrun become very difficult to read when it was on the backside of a page with something much darker on the other, but that was with cheap terrible notepaper. Just something else to keep in the back of your head, alongside color selection.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Seconding corn poppy red.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Any idea how I can date it? From the family, it's apparently been around forever (since the 70's) but they wouldn't have noticed if it got switched along the way.

I don't recall, but my great grandfathers pen was able to be dated down to which season of the year it was made in! 1930's or something.

That model was first produced in 1974 and went out of production in the mid-80s.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I loaded up my note taking Eco with Robert Oster Midnight Sapphire, and it's really pretty out of a stub nib. If you've used Poussiere de Lune, it's like a blue version of that. Dusky, dusty, lots of shading, and good performance. I think I'll pick up a bottle. It reminds me of Tanzanite, Shin Kai, and 54th Mass, but it's a different shade, more violet.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I'm considering unnecessarily complicating/ organizing my work notes into 5 colors for the 5 days of the week that correspond to the rainbow: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, and Blue (with a possible opening of Purple for occasional weekend notes, but I'll hold off on that for now). I thought having colors that go with days of the week would help me when flipping through notes.

So far I have Monteverde Orange, which I'm not in love with but like more than Diamine Orange, and KWZ Baltic Memories (Blue), which looks like crap on Field Notes but is really nice on Moleskine, though it tends to smudge even days after using.

That leaves Red, Yellow, and Green. So far I'm leaning towards Robert Oster "Aussie Gold" for the Yellow, since it looks like a true Yellow with acceptable visibility, and KWZ Green #5.

Since I'm trying to expand my ink brands, I was thinking Noodler's for the Red. Any recommendations? I'd like something reliable (relatively quick dry) and not too bright.

For the yellow, J.Herbin Ambre de Birmanie is very nice and readable:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Fall posted:

For the yellow, J.Herbin Ambre de Birmanie is very nice and readable:

Wow, that's pretty, and I've been looking for a nice yellow or orange that I can use in real life. I'll grab a sample of that for sure in my next Goulet order.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

grack posted:

That model was first produced in 1974 and went out of production in the mid-80s.

Thank you! It seemed like it had fifty years of dried in it. Took six run throughs to clear it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, which $15 is better spent? A moonman M2 with a 1.1 stub nib, or a Goulet stub nib to graft to my second x750?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

stealie72 posted:

Ok, which $15 is better spent? A moonman M2 with a 1.1 stub nib, or a Goulet stub nib to graft to my second x750?

I think I'd vote Goulet, because theoretically you'd be getting a higher quality JoWo nib...?

Although there's something to be said for the novelty of the Moonman. And if you hate its nib, you could always your next $15 to swap that one out with a better JoWo #5.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

stealie72 posted:

The Moonman. The listing I got mine from on eBay came with a replacement stub nib. Both are nice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stealie72 posted:

Anderson stub because Goulet’s ink splotch logo looks silly.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

atholbrose posted:

The Moonman. The listing I got mine from on eBay came with a replacement stub nib. Both are nice.

Still got a link to it?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

MohShuvuu posted:

Still got a link to it?

Sure. Here it is...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I keep spending $80+ on pens and I think this stupid Jinhao 159 is still my favorite to write with. It's so smooth.

I also received my 3776 medium the other day and boy these tines are really tight. There's barely any ink flow.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 27, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ink ordering tonight, I've decided on:

Red: MB Corn Poppy Red
Orange (already own): Monteverde Mandarin Orange
Yellow: Robert Oster Aussie Gold
Green: KWZ Green #5

Blue (already own): KWZ Baltic Memories/ Monteverde Capri Blue

In the future I'll pick up a Purple, maybe MB Lavender or something :shrug:

Sankis posted:

I keep spending $80+ on pens and I think this stupid Jinhao 159 is still my favorite to write with. It's so smooth.

I also received my 3776 medium the other day and boy these tines are really tight. There's barely any ink flow.

My Jinhao's are my favorite pens. I didn't realize how much not caring if I lose a pen factors into how much I enjoy them. Luckily I only bought Lamy's and my TWSBI was lost in the mail and didn't delve into more expensive models before realizing that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Both of the Jinhao pens I have had are terrible, with awful ink flow and drying issues, they were both basically unusable.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Both of the Jinhao pens I have had are terrible, with awful ink flow and drying issues, they were both basically unusable.

My x450 and x750 are like that but this 159 has been so good thus far. I guess it's just a roll of the dice with jinhaos and chinese pens in general.

If I want my x450 and x750 to work at all well I have to clean them out if they so much as look at ink.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Professor Shark posted:

Ink ordering tonight, I've decided on:

Red: MB Corn Poppy Red
Orange (already own): Monteverde Mandarin Orange
Yellow: Robert Oster Aussie Gold
Green: KWZ Green #5

Blue (already own): KWZ Baltic Memories/ Monteverde Capri Blue

In the future I'll pick up a Purple, maybe MB Lavender or something :shrug:

What vendor are you using for the ink? Goulet doesn't carry MB or KWZ and I haven't ordered ink from anywhere else before.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sankis posted:

Put your fingernails underneath the shoulders of the nib and VERY GENTLY pull apart. Should be an easy fix.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

What vendor are you using for the ink? Goulet doesn't carry MB or KWZ and I haven't ordered ink from anywhere else before.

Fontoplumo has KWZ, but not Robert Oster, so I used Vanness for those two amd Amazon for the MB, which was on for fairly cheap. I debated going with KWZ Flame Red, but decided on the MB since a couple people suggested it itt

grack
Jan 10, 2012

PRETTY THINGS WILL ARRIVE TOMORROW

MESSAGE REPEATS

PRETTY, PRETTY THINGS WILL ARRIVE TOMORROW

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Lies. Musubi hasn't even sent me a shipping advisory yet for the cases.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Assuming whatever pens you're using put out enough ink for Aussie Gold to look like the ink swabs, don't forget that if you're using both sides of the page, you probably don't want anything at all dark on one side and a yellow/light green on the other. This isn't too much of a problem for moleskines, in my terribly limited experience, but you also mentioned field notes and I honestly can't remember how well those handled showthrough. I've had Alt-goldgrun become very difficult to read when it was on the backside of a page with something much darker on the other, but that was with cheap terrible notepaper. Just something else to keep in the back of your head, alongside color selection.

That was my main concern with buying a yellow ink... my 992's usually put out a fair amount, so I'll be using the Aussie Gold with one of them instead of the more fitting yellow Safari that I own. I'm hoping that it will work out, since I have 60ml of it!

Has the thread ever done an ink swap exchange for inks that people fell out with?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Nine of Eight posted:

Lies. Musubi hasn't even sent me a shipping advisory yet for the cases.

All the packages are ready to go, but tomorrow is a public holiday here in Singapore. You should receive your tracking number tomorrow and the cases will blast off on Wednesday.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I promised that some pretty, pretty things would be arriving today, and they arrived.

Two vintage Japanese Urushi over Ebonite fountain pens, both with screw-down shutoff valves. The bottom is an oversized Niole Kuro-Dame with a semi-flex steel nib. The top is a Woden that came with the original cellophane wrapper and paper tags.

I paid $80 CAD all in for both. Holy poo poo am I happy.

Edit: Removed date info because it's probably wrong (Thanks Dad Hominem!)

grack fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 29, 2018

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

grack posted:

I promised that some pretty, pretty things would be arriving today, and they arrived.

Two vintage Japanese Urushi over Ebonite fountain pens, both with screw-down shutoff valves. The bottom is an oversized Niole Kuro-Dame with a semi-flex steel nib, tentatively dated to the late 1930s. The top is a Woden that came with the original cellophane wrapper and paper tags, again tentatively dated to the late 1930's/early 1940s.

I paid $80 CAD all in for both. Holy poo poo am I happy.

:drat: Gives us a writing sample precioussssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I haven't inked up the Woden yet, but here's the Niole