Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I thought itembudget got banned

edit:

MMAgCh posted:

Never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I bet that was a lie told by lazy animators who didn't want to design them.

i think marvel banned dancing because the star wars dancing game had dancing in it and was widely mocked

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Disney has since banned Star Wars dancing.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't even know what an item budget is. Like, they can only spend so much money designing new items?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PureRok posted:

I don't even know what an item budget is. Like, they can only spend so much money designing new items?

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but an item budget would work a bit like Point Buy systems in RPG character creation. An item has X amount of points (say 100) as its budget, which should be consistent among all items of the same tier, to keep them "fair". Each stat on an item would cost a certain amount of points based on how good it is perceived to be in their system. So a point of Speed might cost 3 points and a point of Strength might cost 5.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
The most valuable stat of all better have been visual effects

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

HebrewMagic posted:

The most valuable stat of all better have been visual effects

Knowing how terrible Gaz was at actually evaluating what stats players found useful, it might well have been.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

PureRok posted:

You're hired!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zaodai posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but an item budget would work a bit like Point Buy systems in RPG character creation. An item has X amount of points (say 100) as its budget, which should be consistent among all items of the same tier, to keep them "fair". Each stat on an item would cost a certain amount of points based on how good it is perceived to be in their system. So a point of Speed might cost 3 points and a point of Strength might cost 5.

Does difficulty in obtaining an item ever factor in? Like some games have legendaries and relics that are super good. So do they follow the budget? Or do the follow the Darth Vader budget where you go over on everything.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Holyshoot posted:

Does difficulty in obtaining an item ever factor in? Like some games have legendaries and relics that are super good. So do they follow the budget? Or do the follow the Darth Vader budget where you go over on everything.

The budget (in a well made game) would be by tier. So to use World of Warcraft for example, an item from the Mythic difficulty of the most recent raid would have a higher budget than the Normal difficulty of the current raid (or the Mythic difficulty of the previous raid), but the items would all try and be on about the same budget so that any item within that tier of content and difficulty would be about as good as any other item of the same tier and difficulty.

In MH, an item from a Red raid would (in theory) have bigger budget than a Green raid.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Zaodai posted:

In MH, an item from a Red raid would (in theory) have bigger budget than a Green raid.

In practice, the guy who flipped the “make good items” switch was on vacation.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

super sweet best pal posted:

I bet that was a lie told by lazy animators who didn't want to design them.

People actually datamined dance animations for about half of the roster (at the time), they had been working on it for sure

Marvel said ok initially but then said no later on when it came time to add the emote. It was weird

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Russad posted:

In practice, the guy who flipped the “make good items” switch was on vacation.

I don't know that he was ever actually an employee. I think he just snuck in at night sometimes and stuffed good items in so there'd be a few in the system somewhere.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The best items were all player-made

My item was the very best one

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The best item was a shark because of the meltdown it caused.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
:gaz:

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Thank god there was no item budget for description text.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Thinkin bout thos moloids

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
my favorite part about amthua was how such an awful person was still so much better than most other gazzers

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Erdricks posted:

Thank god there was no item budget for description text.

RIP Cyclops' original ult description.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Did you guys know the coco de mer (or sea coconut) is a rare and protected species?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

dr doom was really fun

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
His ultimate and banter was among the best

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I miss Sue's nonsense momjokes

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i always made my doom extra small so his chair would look bigger

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Remember the old infinity system. And the newer infinity system.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I remember chugging stowed away boosts and farming the poo poo out of The Hood and Taskmaster until I got enough infinity points to quit playing the game (only like 5000).

Then I returned to the new Infinity system and felt like all my characters had been beaten to death with a nerf bat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My favourite part of the new infinity system was them going back and redoing it because you weren't allowed to put all your points in the best stats.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ghostlight posted:

My favourite part of the new infinity system was them going back and redoing it because you weren't allowed to put all your points in the best stats.

to be fair to gaz, there was no possible way to predict that players would prefer good stats over bad stats

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

:gaz:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Remember the old infinity system. And the newer infinity system.

I remember holding off on spending any points into that system because I was convinced they would eventually finish/refine it.
What a poor stupid fool I was.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Who here paid money on the extra power set slots before those went free?

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

I can't even think of a character that had more than 2 usable builds to warrant those stupid things.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Remember when they limited embiggening to +3 and the game became pointless

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Remember when they removed size changing attributes altogether?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Remember when they removed the entire game?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I’ve been logging on daily though. Been waiting on the servers to come back on. I just figured they were still patching 25 Thursdays ago.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I’ve been logging on daily though. Been waiting on the servers to come back on. I just figured they were still patching 25 Thursdays ago.

One day it's bound to work

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Lux Aeterna posted:

I can't even think of a character that had more than 2 usable builds to warrant those stupid things.

jfc you still have that av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68

Drythe posted:

jfc you still have that av

I've always wonder wtf that is. A balloon animal??