Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I don't think there were any big name actors in the movie I'm thinking of, but I could be wrong. Was definitely prior to the 90s though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Might have just been a documentary on the US healthcare system after Reaganomics.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

The Macaroni posted:

Early to mid-80s American movie. Doctors at a hospital take bets about which patients will live or die, and one of the nastier doctors decides to speed things along by murdering some of the patients in question. Only scene I clearly remember is the murderer injecting poison into a steak that someone eats, and when the lady gets admitted to the ER he sabotages her ventilator. It's definitely not Coma.

It's way later than your time frame, but the plot sounds a lot like Pathology: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0964539/

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Macaroni posted:

Early to mid-80s American movie. Doctors at a hospital take bets about which patients will live or die, and one of the nastier doctors decides to speed things along by murdering some of the patients in question. Only scene I clearly remember is the murderer injecting poison into a steak that someone eats, and when the lady gets admitted to the ER he sabotages her ventilator. It's definitely not Coma.

Terminal Choice?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090148/

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
It's been a couple years, so I might as well ask again:

MachineryNoise posted:

This is an old, black & white movie. Probably from the 40s or 50s. I saw it playing on a TV in a flea market, and I only saw part of one scene.
There was a fat guy with a mustache lying on the floor with a sword sticking out of his abdomen. The guy was apparently in disguise, as the main character (?) pulled some prosthetic makeup and the mustache off the guy's face. He was still alive and talking to the main character while this was happening. I didn't recognize either actor, unfortunately, though they looked familiar.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That's it! Thanks!

Edit: Whoa, the lady in the scene I remembered was played by Ellen Barkin. Most other folks in the show are no-names besides Joe Spano.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 7, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
OK, I only barely remember one scene from something I saw flipping through the channels years ago. Almost definitely an American film, color, had a grimy, washed-out look that made me think it was from the '70s. A young, blue collar-looking couple are in a truck or car and stop at a gas station.

Girl: "You want a Coca-Cola?" (goes in to the store, a few seconds pass, and she comes back out) "It's 25 cents."
Then a shot from the back seat of the truck/car as they drive away, as her boyfriend drinks Coke from the glass bottle and sunlight shines through it.

I remember thinking at the time that it was weird they'd have such blatant product placement in a movie that old, and I continued watching a bit to make sure it wasn't actually a commercial.

I don't remember what exactly the boyfriend looked like, but he seemed like a cool, stoical bad boy type, and I don't remember him talking at all. The girl was thin, blonde, had a suntan, and was probably wearing denim. The movie is definitely not Badlands, but I saw that recently, and it's what reminded me of this scene.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Not a movie, but figured you guys are my best shot.

There is a YouTube video by one of the movie aficionado analyzer guys where he replaces the sound effects for a scene to demonstrate how it affects the viewer's attention. The scene is a slow shot that starts on an apartment window, pans out to a street, then finishes on two guys in a car.

I cannot find this, and it's being surprisingly hard to search for.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
It was from Nerdwriter1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kavxsXhzD48

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two-Lane Blacktop?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

YES I knew one of you guys would know. Thanks!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What's this from

https://i.imgur.com/7czSpbH.gifv

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

McBain with Christopher Walken

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Davros1 posted:

Is that the one with Alfred Molina as Senator Mendoza?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A character survives a hanging by swallowing a metal tube or pipe. It's not The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. I saw this in the mid- or late eighties, and it might have been a movie or TV adaption of Treasure Island, or another pirate story, but there are a bunch of those, and I haven't been able to narrow it down.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Was it Barron Munchausen?

Edit: No wait, I'm thinking of Doctor Parnassus

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 11, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Davros1 posted:

I thought you were loving with me and then I remembered there was a McBain movie

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They didn't put the exploding tank in the trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxJwINeQfw
I'd have put the exploding tank in the trailer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

A character survives a hanging by swallowing a metal tube or pipe. It's not The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. I saw this in the mid- or late eighties, and it might have been a movie or TV adaption of Treasure Island, or another pirate story, but there are a bunch of those, and I haven't been able to narrow it down.

The TV show Filthy, Rich, and Catflap, starring Rik Mayall, Adrian Edmondson, and Nigel Planer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbS961Z64uo&t=1345s

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 12, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

They didn't put the exploding tank in the trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxJwINeQfw
I'd have put the exploding tank in the trailer.

I've never seen it til now, I didn't even realize Walken was in it. I just remember the one time we saw it when me and my brother were kids when the commercial went "McBain" we laughed at our asses off

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So we're watching the old Disney Alice in Wonderland and the Dodo's beak is red on the end and it's giving me this crazy deja Vu.

I'm seeing a cartoon sock on a stick, and the end is being painted red so it can be like a fake bird head decoy thing?

I can see it so clearly but gently caress me running if I can place it. It's not the scene from A Goofy Movie where Bigfoot is doing a puppet show with socks.

Edit: I'm so sorry it was the Disney Robin Hood when he was disguising himself as the buzzard guard and pulls a sock over his face.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to identify an old war movie. It was in colour and I feel like it might have been from the 60s, but I'm not sure. I think it's about a team of soldiers behind enemy lines during the Second World War and there are two scenes I remember: one near the end where one of the main characters is in this rocky pass holding off the enemy (Germans? I'm not sure - I think it may have been set in Europe but it could just have easily been the Pacific) with a machine gun when they cause a rockslide that buries him, and his arm holding his machine gun is shown hanging out from a hole in the pile of rocks; and one where a radio operator, who I think was French, keeps repeating a message (in French, if he was) that sets another guy on edge enough that he eventually shoots him, and another soldier (I think it may have been the same one who was buried by the rockslide) goes, "He was trying to warn us! He was trying to warn us and you killed him!" and the guy who shot him starts crying.

One of the many war movies I'd be in the room for when my dad watched them.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There was a movie (90% sure it was french) where an old man who is into tapdancing and pretending a realdoll is his wife kidnaps his neighbour to keep as a son. I think it was late 90s, maaybe early 00s

edit: googled a little better, found the other one.

Stickfigure fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 14, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Some Holocaust movie where a bunch of Jews are escaping past a Nazi checkpoint or something through a sewer, and one of them has a concealed baby who starts to cry, so she (or maybe one of the other Jews) quietly drowns it to avoid revealing their presence.

This is *not* The Pianist, where a scene like that is described but not shown. It's also way older than that film, I remember seeing it on TV back before cable was a thing. It might even have been a made-for-TV film.

I think it might have been this, and the time frame is definitely right, but the Wikipedia entry doesn't mention that scene:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077025/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Some Holocaust movie where a bunch of Jews are escaping past a Nazi checkpoint or something through a sewer, and one of them has a concealed baby who starts to cry, so she (or maybe one of the other Jews) quietly drowns it to avoid revealing their presence.

This is *not* The Pianist, where a scene like that is described but not shown. It's also way older than that film, I remember seeing it on TV back before cable was a thing. It might even have been a made-for-TV film.

I think it might have been this, and the time frame is definitely right, but the Wikipedia entry doesn't mention that scene:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077025/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

You might be looking for The Wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivyjhxvQms

The part you remember is near the very end.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Action Jacktion posted:

You might be looking for The Wall:

That's it exactly. Thanks.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Mexican hitman, face tattoo like a skull or something similar. I think he wore a sleeveless leather jacket.
Main characters run into him at a parking lot, I think next to a motel. He has a shotgun, they know he is there to kill them.
They escape in their car, vibe is that they really couldn't have taken that guy. I don't think he shows up again.

Thought it was Sicario, but it is not. Pretty sure it was a recent movie.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

At work today, we were talking about scenes in movies that really disturbed us, but not necessarily from horror/thrillers. For example, we unanimously agreed on the ending to Requiem for a Dream. One of mine was the scene in Iron Jawed Angels where Alice Paul goes on hunger strike in prison, and they force feed her by pouring raw eggs down her throat with a funnel.

That memory, however, dredged up some cheesy as hell horror movie I must've caught on late night cable, which still bugs me. I know I watched it sometime between 1994 and 2000 because I remember the apartment I was living in when I saw it. Please bear in mind that I was doing a lot of drugs at the time, so I might be wayyy off in my recollection.

There's a teenage girl, and I think's she bulimic? Some kind of eating disorder. And there's a crazy doctor who "treats" her by force feeding her a huge bowl of ice cream. Then he sticks in a stomach pump, only it's also got some kind of whirly drill bit running through the hose. There's a shot of the ice cream pouring back into the bowl, and then it starts swirling red with blood.

That's when I was like "this is really harshing my buzz" and changed the channel. I'd like to see it again, if only to gauge whether it still freaks me out 20 years later.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

JacquelineDempsey posted:

At work today, we were talking about scenes in movies that really disturbed us, but not necessarily from horror/thrillers. For example, we unanimously agreed on the ending to Requiem for a Dream. One of mine was the scene in Iron Jawed Angels where Alice Paul goes on hunger strike in prison, and they force feed her by pouring raw eggs down her throat with a funnel.

That memory, however, dredged up some cheesy as hell horror movie I must've caught on late night cable, which still bugs me. I know I watched it sometime between 1994 and 2000 because I remember the apartment I was living in when I saw it. Please bear in mind that I was doing a lot of drugs at the time, so I might be wayyy off in my recollection.

There's a teenage girl, and I think's she bulimic? Some kind of eating disorder. And there's a crazy doctor who "treats" her by force feeding her a huge bowl of ice cream. Then he sticks in a stomach pump, only it's also got some kind of whirly drill bit running through the hose. There's a shot of the ice cream pouring back into the bowl, and then it starts swirling red with blood.

That's when I was like "this is really harshing my buzz" and changed the channel. I'd like to see it again, if only to gauge whether it still freaks me out 20 years later.

Dr Giggles.

"I know this sucks."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doesn't exactly fit, but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJDZvXUv0Lk
?

edit: Difinitely Dr, Giggles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NAOGEEb6WE&t=96s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 25, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

SimonCat posted:

Dr Giggles.

"I know this sucks."

My husband rolls his eyes whenever we're scratching our heads about some trivia question or half-forgotten memory, and Google is failing us, and I pipe up with "well, gently caress, pass me the laptop and I can ask the goons".

And y'all consistently deliver. Thank you!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
My girlfriend was the same way but y'all pull some deep cuts.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We're watching Neverending Story and my wife thought she'd seen it, but seems to be thinking of something else.
She remembers a kid who's bullied at school and gets into adventures in much the same way, but the only concrete thing she has is that he gets sent to a store to buy crackers with no salt for his uncle, but gets the wrong ones.
Ring any bells?.

Edit : V doesn't sound like it but something in that Era for sure

E2: more details. Apparently there are multiple kids, they fly on some kind of dragon, and they use some kind of mirror or pool of water to transport themselves at one point

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 28, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Pagemaster?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Is it Spiderwick Chronicles by any chance? The kids have a flying Griffin and are in a fantasy realm.

Don’t think any crackers however

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Is it Spiderwick Chronicles by any chance? The kids have a flying Griffin and are in a fantasy realm.

Don’t think any crackers however

That keeps coming up in our searches but it’s too new to be the one she’s thinking of.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

We're watching Neverending Story and my wife thought she'd seen it, but seems to be thinking of something else.
She remembers a kid who's bullied at school and gets into adventures in much the same way, but the only concrete thing she has is that he gets sent to a store to buy crackers with no salt for his uncle, but gets the wrong ones.
Ring any bells?.

Edit : V doesn't sound like it but something in that Era for sure

E2: more details. Apparently there are multiple kids, they fly on some kind of dragon, and they use some kind of mirror or pool of water to transport themselves at one point

The stuff about multiple kids and a pool and a dragon reminds me of Through the dragon's eye TV series - it's on YouTube.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

donquixotic posted:

Through the dragon's eye

Fffffuuuuuuck! 25 years since I last heard of that!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Just checked imdb and found out that Larry Drake died in 2016. Too bad, he was so great in Darkman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

I'm looking for a movie I saw on TV as a kid, so sometime in the early 90s probably. This kid builds a machine that ages him into an adult, then at the end he decides being an adult sucks and goes back in the machine. The scene that stands out in my memory is him coming out of the machine surrounded by fog and wearing a too-big suit, then he goes to confront his high school principal I think?

It's not "Big" with Tom Hanks, it's definitely a machine he builds himself (with chasing rope lights on it, I think). Could be a made for TV movie or an episode of a TV show. It might be a Disney property, we had a Disney evening each week on our local CBC TV station.