Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Bleck posted:

the story is about a guy who punches things, one time,
But he took multiple hits to beat Boros, therefore he's really a street-tier weakling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hello, just wandering in here to remark that murata is literally beyond human. its really remarkable. i am envious of his ability to transcend his mortal bindings to learn from the masters of time and space and bless us with his teachings. thank u.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TheLoneStar posted:

But he took multiple hits to beat Boros, therefore he's really a street-tier weakling.

Yeah but the second one was serious

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm reading the chapter now and god, i feel the artwork and coolness factor peaks only for it to go even higher the next page. King Orochi is incredible.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

And then like 2 weeks later he made a 50+ page update?

This man is a wizard. I bet he has that manga stand from Jojo part 4

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
And you have to consider the way Murata draws, he's very uh... Perfectionist? Indecisive? If you ever watched a bit of his streams he keeps himself in a cycle of drawing and erasing and redrawing and erasing everything and starting over...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's usually how drawing goes, most of the time whenever we're seeing someone drawing it's either a select video from someone doing the hit and not the misses, or some veteran artist drawing a character he's spent the past 20+ years of his life drawing.

It's one of the stuff professors keep bashing in your head in art school, not to lose motivation because every time you see someone drawing it comes effortlessly and it only takes one attempt. Drawing generally involves erasing and redrawing a lot until you get what you want right.

Of course in Murata it kinda seems redundant because his bad is already really, really good.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't know, every artist has their own process but Murata is sure something special.

I've always learned about the importance of drawing thumbnails to figure out composition, and drawing quick sketches to work out the complicated parts before the real thing etc. In traditional media you have to be a bit more strategic to avoid erasing too much so it doesn't ruin the paper. Also it's a productivity thing, if you keep being indecisive about what kind of dress Blizzard is wearing while meeting Saitama you'll never go anywhere.

And this is why Murata is so amazing to me. He has indestructible paper, he can afford being indecisive about the smallest poo poo AND he's still the most productive motherfucker I've ever seen! :psyduck:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, yeah, I can't say for everyone, just a lot of artists that I've seen. When I did pencil stuff I'd use the eraser a lot.

Nowadays my modus operandi is "start like ONE but worse, mix it with Yoshihiro Togashi on a very, very bad day."

Toss a bunch of digital paint on it with no regard.

Erase everything a million times until something comes out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elentor posted:

Well, yeah, I can't say for everyone, just a lot of artists that I've seen. When I did pencil stuff I'd use the eraser a lot.

Nowadays my modus operandi is "start like ONE but worse, mix it with Yoshihiro Togashi on a very, very bad day."

Holy poo poo, I thought you were just committed to stuff you start and good at 3D rendering. :magical:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't know anything about art but I actually like the middle stage the most.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Elentor posted:

It's different, you gradually polished the drawing maintaining the same basis and only kinda changed your mind about the hair. I feel like that's kind of the normal way most artists go, even in traditional media.

Murata process would've involved erasing everything in the middle of it and starting over 5 times.

And in another extreme I've read once that Miyazaki makes a huge deal of never using an eraser.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Elentor posted:

it's like an alternate take on bayonetta

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it's like an alternate take on bayonetta

Im thinkin Edea

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Now you mention it, Edea and Bayonetta are pretty similar and both rad as heck!!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Now you mention it, Edea and Bayonetta are pretty similar and both rad as heck!!!

Huh, people here usually poo poo on FF8.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorsing Edea is not an endorsement of FF8 imo.

I don't mind FF8 except that bit that everyone hates for a very good reason.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I don't mind FF8 except that bit that everyone hates for a very good reason.
You'll have to narrow down which terrible "bit" you're talking about. Is it the amnesia thing?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Edea is what I usually get for that piece. I'm okay with that.

RareAcumen posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought you were just committed to stuff you start and good at 3D rendering. :magical:

Thanks man.

Symbolic Butt posted:

Murata process would've involved erasing everything in the middle of it and starting over 5 times.

I mean, if I could do it as fast he does I would. I usually erase everything and start over 5 times when I'm in the early process of mouse drawing on MSPaint. But yeah, like you said, that's how most artists go about.

Murata is on an entirely different level.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 27, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sindai posted:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

You'll have to narrow down which terrible "bit" you're talking about. Is it the amnesia thing?

The everyone is orphan buddies and forgot they're buddies because GFs give them amnesia is basically the same plot point so yes, kinda.

But yeah, this was a stunning chapter even by Murata standards.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

I'll just go ahead and say it: Murata is vastly overrated. Sure, he's an excellent draftsman who produces high-quality, detailed art, but he doesn't have an ounce of the creativity that ONE does. Remember, ONE designed all the characters, and does storyboards for the manga chapters (and of course the writing). Everything that actually makes OPM great comes from ONE.

Read the original. :colbert:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mraagvpeine posted:

The easy solution is to watch the anime.

And have a similar ridiculous backlog? Naw.

Zartosht posted:

I'll just go ahead and say it: Murata is vastly overrated. Sure, he's an excellent draftsman who produces high-quality, detailed art, but he doesn't have an ounce of the creativity that ONE does. Remember, ONE designed all the characters, and does storyboards for the manga chapters (and of course the writing). Everything that actually makes OPM great comes from ONE.

I mean ... isn't that what everyone praises him for? His ridiculously amazing art, and how fast he does it. I don't think many are conflating Murata with the things ONE does - at least it doesn't seem that way, as ONE doing amazing storyboarding and character design is brought up about every 10 pages.

It's just ... this isn't the ONE thread. It's the Murata redraw thread.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Zartosht posted:

Come on. ONE is a fantastic writer and panelist, but there is also a reason almost no-one had heard of One Punch Man before Murata redid it and that success (it's popularity both as a manga and due to the anime adaptation) is due to the Murata version. And in turn, the only reason the Murata version and the anime are as successful as they are is because of ONE's strong writing and layouts.

They're partners, we don't need to argue who is better. But if we're going to give credit, I would give a little more than that to the guy who makes the great story a visual spectacle in addition to a great read rather than trying to appreciate something that's funny but also drawn a few steps down from the quality seen at the end of HxH's Greed Island.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Meme Emulator posted:

Im thinkin Edea

very nomura face

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Elentor posted:

That's usually how drawing goes, most of the time whenever we're seeing someone drawing it's either a select video from someone doing the hit and not the misses, or some veteran artist drawing a character he's spent the past 20+ years of his life drawing.

It's one of the stuff professors keep bashing in your head in art school, not to lose motivation because every time you see someone drawing it comes effortlessly and it only takes one attempt. Drawing generally involves erasing and redrawing a lot until you get what you want right.

Of course in Murata it kinda seems redundant because his bad is already really, really good.

I wouldnt say it's a case of erasing --> redraw, more one of draw --> draw another one. If you just keep fixing the same drawing over and over again then you'll never improve, the way to progress is by finishing a drawing hundreds of times over before they start to look 'right'

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

Same

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Zartosht posted:

That's an opinion.

One that ONE would disagree with, I'm pretty sure.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, ONE even wrote up his reaction ahead of time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zartosht posted:

His entire role with this version of the manga is to be "an excellent draftsman who produces high-quality, detailed art."

It's like saying "Yeah, that forks good at stabbing food, but it doesn't hold liquid like a spoon"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zartosht posted:

I don't think he's overrated, but I get where you're coming from. I've read people say that OPM without good art would absolutely suck which never stopped Murata from reading it and admiring it in the first place, and ONE didn't need Murata doing Mob for it to be successful either. I think Murata is one of the best apples which people end up also treating as one of the best oranges.

For what is worth I've always been one of the guys saying ONE is really good at what he does, but it's hard to say Murata is overrated when he's just so incredibly drat good at drawing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
As far as we can tell ONE and Murata are in an amicable partnership on this manga so to assert that one is better than the other is a dick move and you're inserting negativity where there shouldn't be any.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, besides this is the kind of partnership that only happens in the realm of dreams. To anyone who was a fan of the webcomic, "what if a really good and patient artist picked it up out of his own wishes and did a careful redrawing of every panel" was likely a somewhat far-fetched dream.

This is one of the very few cases where we both get to have the cake and eat it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elentor posted:

Yeah, besides this is the kind of partnership that only happens in the realm of dreams. To anyone who was a fan of the webcomic, "what if a really good and patient artist picked it up out of his own wishes and did a careful redrawing of every panel" was likely a somewhat far-fetched dream.

This is one of the very few cases where we both get to have the cake and eat it.

And they've been helping each other improve. Like, Murata has better panel composition, and ONE's drawings are much less likely to make eyes bleed.

Everybody wins.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

is it possible... that they are both good? ?????????

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fartbox posted:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Dammit, it goes against all scientific precedent, but you just might be right.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zartosht posted:

This is what cancer reads like. How it's possible to read Garou vs Orochi and come back with this take is literally intellectually beyond me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fartbox posted:

No, because liking both halves of a partnership is forbidden.

Bisse posted:

This is what cancer reads like. How it's possible to read Garou vs Orochi and come back with this take is literally intellectually beyond me.

2018 and people still fall for bait this obvious. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Please read both comics guys. You won't hate it.