Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There’s a difference between deceptive advertising and forgetting to take down a drat sign. Retail businesses deceptively advertise all the time in the US but on this one narrow issue gently caress “customers” who are just looking for free stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Daniel Bryan posted:

Had a lady accuse me and my coworkers of watching her and that it made her uncomfortable. I mean, yeah, we have cameras all over but unless you're acting suspicious or something we don't have time to watch you in case you do steal. And we'll communicate that stuff over our headsets if there's someone we should watch out for. We weren't watching this lady. When I apologized that she felt that way, she said "Don't do me any favors" and then cussed out the AP guy. Well, then. Perhaps most baffling is that she spent the entirety of her visit at the Customer Service desk, where there's no product to steal.

99% of the time people who do this are stealing/trying to steal/have stole in the past

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
If the date range of the promotion was on the sign, the customer has notice. That's before we even get to any laws about error or honoring statements.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I remember back when I was a cashier ( dark days my friend ), our store was running a promotion on beer. Corporate has strict policies about where you can place door-mounted stickers, so they couldn't place them close to the product, and had to place them low on the door- which put the sticker in front of a larger case of beer than was actually on sale.

People kept grabbing the wrong case, which was right in front of the sticker. Because of course they would- no fault there. Nobody reads the fine print. But then they'd come up to the cash register and get into an argument with us about something that was absolutely not "our" loving fault.

"People have to read," is what my manager said, when I raised the issue. We couldn't move the sticker. That would be madness.

After a few hours of this, I walked over to the beer aisle, peeled the sticker off the door, balled it up, and hooked it over the beer case into the aisles beyond.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
hahaha "i gotta side with the customer on this one" says the guy who works retail in a country with actual legal protections for workers and is currently on a 6 week paid vacation ahahaha goddamn man

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I think it's a state law here that if prices don't match signage we have to give the customer the advertised price plus five dollars?

Don't quote me on that, the day I get cashier training is the day I finally quit this job.

Still, if fuckin Michigan has this in place, what are the better states' excuses?

e: ah, yes https://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-359--134114--,00.html

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ontario has what I think is called the "scanning code of practice" where basically if something doesn't match the tag price, it will be sold to the customer at what is advertised. Products under 10$ I believe are free but there's some limitations there too, like if you got 10 bottles of pepsi you're only getting the first free then the rest at advertised price. I remember all our sale tags had the end date on them but the scanning code might not care about that, which is a bit lame but I can see how it could be manipulative if a store were to bank on customers not knowing the date.

Another area I don't remember the rules on were misplaced tags/product. (Like if two products were accidentally swapped places on the shelf and had the wrong tags under them) - I feel like these generally went in the customer's favour but it kinda sucks you can't expect people to read the tag. (Not to mention people could just shuffle tags around)

I feel like this sort of thing is important where customers are likely to buy a lot of products (a grocery store) and it will be easy for them to miss small errors, or in any sort of external advertising that would bring customers into the store. The gamestop lady seems kind of silly because there's no way she was tricked into coming into the store and I can't imagine you'd miss the fact you aren't getting the promotion at checkout. I'm all for consumer protections but there always should be a degree of sanity.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's amazing the way the laws are seemingly designed specifically to make retail employees' lives as miserable as possible

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I think the "Scanning Code of Practice" is federal, or at least true in BC and Alberta.

There's a lady at my current store who will come in on Fridays (the day after price change) and comb through the aisles and look for missed tags and buy a whole bunch of garbage you know she wouldn't otherwise. She'll even move poo poo around and make a mess just to get to a tag for a product that sold out ages ago.

Makes me happy that I don't work cash anymore.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's amazing the way the laws are seemingly designed specifically to make retail employees' lives as miserable as possible

Considering that much of our legal system is based around enshrining the most toxic aspects of Social Darwinism, is it really so surprising?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Some time ago, a chain pet store amazed me by having pretty rare fish in stock but only charging 5 bucks a piece for them. So during my route, I would hit as many of the stores as I could and buy as many of those fish as I possibly could, because they were juveniles and I wanted to breed them someday, and the price was just amazingly great.

About two months into this, corporate apparently realized the mistake and sent out all new signage for the fish, raising their price by about $15 each. No problem at all, and I didn't look for any more of them after that, but I did get lucky and find one store that still has a mark for five bucks. Score, I thought because I still wanted a few more of the guys, and I recently had a bad mishap where I had lost a few to illness. But when I got the bag of fish up to the register, they showed as $20 each. Instead of losing my mind or screaming at the cashier, I explained the signage that was posted, and both she and the manager had to confirm that the sign was not up to date, and gave me the fish for the $5 each.

And no point did I lose my temper, or threaten anyone's job, and it was a bad mistake on whoever was doing the price tags at the store, because a lot of other tags apparently were out of date.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 26, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My store never closes, and I'm responsible for the shift in which every ticket is swapped over at the start of each month. This results in some items being on special that aren't advertised and some that have new tickets on them but that don't activate on the register until midnight. It's a given that people are going to pick up items that are going to scan wrong and it's no trouble to change the price on them. The second an item appears at the wrong price initially though, about half the people are just complete pricks who act like we're personally trying to scam them.

Calm down idiots.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 26, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
A few days ago, I discarded a rack of expired product. The next day, I received a replacement, put it on the shelf, and went on my way.

Today, while I was checking dates ( and finding more expired things ), I came across the product I racked the day previous.

It was expired. Jesus gently caress, I can't even assume the food coming from the warehouse is to-date? gently caress you, this is some Truman Show poo poo. Someone is loving with me.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Our warehouse does that pretty frequently. It doesn't bother me as much as the blatant misselects. Today I got six cases of bulk red onions instead of a sale item we could have actually sold, and I was honestly relieved, because in the past they've done this with white onions.
We're also sitting on something like 20 cases of date bars, which were sent to our store labelled as scotch tape in December, which we do not anticipate selling before they expire. In September.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Hello memorial day weekend :barf:

I just got sick and my coworkers are gonna be screwed if i call out tomorrow

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Cowslips Warren posted:

And no point did I lose my temper, or threaten anyone's job, and it was a bad mistake on whoever was doing the price tags at the store, because a lot of other tags apparently were out of date.

This is the way to handle that situation, never get mad at a retail worker unless they do something specifically to screw you.

I'm about to start telling people no returns after 9pm. After 9, the store goes down to one register, and the non-key/manager has to be the one checking, if there's a return, I have to watch the return. So of course we had two returns.

One was just stupid bullshit from a customer that comes in at least 3 times a shift, yet needed to wait until 9:30 to return something, with no receipt, and knew she was going to return it later, but also completely destroyed the package.

The other was a lady who I'm pretty sure stole the poo poo she was returning, with no receipt, yet I couldn't prove it (and when she disappeared in the store after announcing the return, I couldn't follow her because I was tied up doing the other return). She came up with two phone cords things, said she wanted to return one, but not the other, until we rang up the items she wanted, then she wanted to return the other cord because she would have had to pay money. I can't add a return item mid way through a sale, so I had to cancel the whole order. I put my hand on my face and rubbed my eyes in an aggressive manner, to which she basically "U mad, bro"'d me. I can't say it's the most I've ever wanted to just lay out an old lady, but it was drat near.

Then at 10:45 someone hosed with our door, and I, being the closest, had to go check it out. The dude who can't get full time, despite working 50 hours this week, is on day 10 straight because I covered for someone else, and have been there for a year, because I don't have a car.

My roommate gave me a ride, it took 4 minutes to get there, check the door, go to McDonald's, and then get home.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A few days ago, I discarded a rack of expired product. The next day, I received a replacement, put it on the shelf, and went on my way.

Today, while I was checking dates ( and finding more expired things ), I came across the product I racked the day previous.

It was expired. Jesus gently caress, I can't even assume the food coming from the warehouse is to-date? gently caress you, this is some Truman Show poo poo. Someone is loving with me.

We got a pallet of Coke Zero that had 2 days left before its best before date. It had been marked down centrally because we weren't the only ones getting it. £2.50 for 18 cans, plus staff discount. I bought 6 packs of it, it was a good deal.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Budgie posted:

We got a pallet of Coke Zero that had 2 days left before its best before date. It had been marked down centrally because we weren't the only ones getting it. £2.50 for 18 cans, plus staff discount. I bought 6 packs of it, it was a good deal.

Most things, especially frozen food, will stay good for a long time past their best-by date. As a consumer I wouldn't think twice about buying that particular product, or a few others I threw away. But policy's policy. and shrink is shrink. :shrug:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Best by and expiration dates aren't directly FDA or USDA regulated, so long as they're not dishonest. They're mostly for internal supply chain use. At the same time, customer perception means that depending on the company it'll sometimes be very conservative. Why deal with the customer complaints about off-tasting food when making the date earlier makes it the retail and supply chain people's problem? All the same, though, they're broadly a good rule of thumb for most products, because companies also have an interest in having a later date listed. The details of what goes into the decision are really messy and product and company-dependent.

The exception is infant formula. That's really tightly regulated, for predictable reasons.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 26, 2018

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

As a tiny shop I frequently am the recipient of beer that's a week from expiration and the TABC will come down hard on stores that are selling expired product. It drives my salesguys crazy since they're ultimately the ones who know the date codes and all they can do is swap product. I feel ya.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MC Hawking posted:

As a tiny shop I frequently am the recipient of beer that's a week from expiration and the TABC will come down hard on stores that are selling expired product. It drives my salesguys crazy since they're ultimately the ones who know the date codes and all they can do is swap product. I feel ya.

oh poo poo, I should note I have no clue what regs are for alcoholic products, completely outside my area.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

2 weeks ago I ended up having to sort through our brand "new" boxes of lettuce and separated out the good acceptable ones and the garbage trash ones. At the end of the week I had 6 boxes of rotten lettuce that came in "fresh" from the warehouse, and that is after I threw out possibly another 4 boxes worth before I decided to stop tossing the bad lettuce and keep it in boxes to send back to warehouse. About 30% of the stuff we received that week was complete trash.

And the warehouse was trying to make us take the loss on it

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

cephalopods posted:

I think it's a state law here that if prices don't match signage we have to give the customer the advertised price plus five dollars?

Don't quote me on that, the day I get cashier training is the day I finally quit this job.

Still, if fuckin Michigan has this in place, what are the better states' excuses?

e: ah, yes https://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-359--134114--,00.html

Pretty sure Massachusetts has this as well, I know for us corporate policy is to honor the sign because it's better to lose the money than the customer.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pentaghastly posted:

Hello memorial day weekend :barf:

I just got sick and my coworkers are gonna be screwed if i call out tomorrow

Meanwhile it is one of my slower weekends, I've spent half my shift browsing the forums on my phone.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
gently caress holidays.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I once had someone return a quart of oil because it was old and buy a different quart of a different brand. My district manager was next to me trying his hardest not to laugh his rear end off as I attempted to explain that no sir, oil does not have an expiration date. Fucker gave me poo poo about that when he saw me for the better part of a month. The only things we carry that could be considered to have one is conventional green coolant and DEF. Both would be measured in years and we run through our whole stock in a week or two.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Our oil has a.... something... best before?

Anyway, they recommend using it within five years of being bottled.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Technically everything has a shelf life of some kind but I've had customers reach into the back of the peg of batteries as though they're grabbing the freshest lettuce or some poo poo. Like, A.) batteries have a shelf life in the range of 7 years and B.) do you honestly think we're rotating our loving battery stock unless there's a package change?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Elmnt80 posted:

I once had someone return a quart of oil because it was old and buy a different quart of a different brand. My district manager was next to me trying his hardest not to laugh his rear end off as I attempted to explain that no sir, oil does not have an expiration date. Fucker gave me poo poo about that when he saw me for the better part of a month. The only things we carry that could be considered to have one is conventional green coolant and DEF. Both would be measured in years and we run through our whole stock in a week or two.

We only use extra virgin olive oil in our house, so I can’t speak for other oils, but olive oil at least can and will go rancid after a time, particularly if it isn’t stored correctly (it should be kept cool and in the dark, not decoratively displayed on your window sill in the sun). We buy our oil in gallon tins 4 at a time when they go on sale and use it quickly enough that it doesn’t go off; but I can see someone buying a ridiculous quantity and having it sit for months and months till it goes funny.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That sounds like auto oil...

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Yeah, IIRC elmnt80 works in an auto parts store.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oh.

In my defence, I have spent all day touring wineries and gorging on cheese. I have had several bottles worth of wine to drink over the course of the day; so my powers of comprehension are somewhat compromised.

I have absolutely no idea about motor oil. Anything that takes place under the bonnet of a car is voodoo black magic to me and I am very happy to leave such matters in the hands of qualified professionals.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Management: "We need to work on getting you out earlier."

Also management: "I'm glad you're still here, I need some help with something." "Sometimes I go to call you for help at the end of the night and you're already gone."

:thunk:

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Someone who thinks "we don't need to be paying for coverage at the end of the night when there are barely any customers here" versus one who realizes "we need someone here to clean up the messes while there aren't any customers in the way"

Unless it's the same person, anyway.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Sometimes the same person, just weeks/days apart. Sometimes they're right in that I am slow, but then again, they have people working here who regularly do not finish their jobs and then leave. If I'm not finishing, it is because something is very wrong, or I'm sick.

Also I've done the math and determined that, on average, I get out late roughly the same amount of time it takes me to fill the milk case every day which is, technically, my job, but technically, my job is "refill the milk case as needed at the end of the day" not "fill it up every shift because nobody will touch it before you come and nobody will touch it after you leave".

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Phone call: "I was taking my mom to her chemo appointment and she said the milk in her frappucino is spoiled. I cant believe you would use spoiled milk, my mom has a compromised immune system and that could have made her very sick!"

We literally go through about 16 gallons of whole milk for frappucinos each day from the truck we get three times a week but her milk was spoiled. "Yeah absolutely come on by and we'll remake it :downs:"

Also someone switched the raspberry and simple syrup and I didnt even notice so a lot of people got raspberry flavored iced coffee yesterday

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pentaghastly posted:

Phone call: "I was taking my mom to her chemo appointment and she said the milk in her frappucino is spoiled. I cant believe you would use spoiled milk, my mom has a compromised immune system and that could have made her very sick!"

We literally go through about 16 gallons of whole milk for frappucinos each day from the truck we get three times a week but her milk was spoiled. "Yeah absolutely come on by and we'll remake it :downs:"

Also someone switched the raspberry and simple syrup and I didnt even notice so a lot of people got raspberry flavored iced coffee yesterday

Chemo fucks up your taste buds.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Tunicate posted:

Chemo fucks up your taste buds.

Oh...well poo poo :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pentaghastly posted:

There are some African coffees that will give you distinct raspberry notes. Considering how awful coffee is in the US, you probably improved it.

African coffees are the best; you get so much fruitiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm working one more day with Mr. I don't help customers and will audibly sigh and roll my eyes when they interrupt me.

I had a customer flag me down specifically because he can't slice prosciutto without shredding it completely.

He's like a sullen teenager but he's 25