Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Avengers Infinity War Thanos tells Thor that he "should have aimed for the head" with his axe and Thor actually really should have in order to kill Thanos before he could snap his fingers with the completed gauntlet.

:black101:

I'm not sure if this a joke or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tagichatn posted:

Some people think text and subtext are the same thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

See: 90% 9f the posts in this thread

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Avengers Infinity War Thanos tells Thor that he "should have aimed for the head" with his axe and Thor actually really should have in order to kill Thanos before he could snap his fingers with the completed gauntlet.

:black101:

This was a great scene. I dabble in film analysis as a dumb internet hobby but i don't really have any faith in my own abilities to be like 'It's Actually A Great Scene And Heres Why', but god drat I loved that scene.

Tagichatn posted:

Sometimes this thread is just for posting cool things. Best to just roll with it.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 02:04 on May 28, 2018

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I finally watched Spider-Man: Homecoming last week, and the one thing I really loved about the movie is how it addressed that if Spider-Man is stuck outside of a city full of high-rises, he can't travel as fast as he would otherwise. I mean, he still ended up using streetlights, but still.

Agent355 posted:

This was a great scene. I dabble in film analysis as a dumb internet hobby but i don't really have any faith in my own abilities to be like 'It's Actually A Great Scene And Hears Why', but god drat I loved that scene.

The only real reason is because you think that Thor saves the universe in the last possible second, but... NOPE. It was a perfect set-up and subversion of expectation that I loved, even though half the movie was boring and slow (which is something that should never be said about a comic book movie).

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Just like the hero deaths it has no impact at all because if you're an adult with any pop culture meta awareness at all you know he can't die in part 1 of a 2 part movie.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Imagined posted:

Just like the hero deaths it has no impact at all because if you're an adult with any pop culture meta awareness at all you know he can't die in part 1 of a 2 part movie.

This is very wise and from now on I'm only ever going to watch the final part of anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inzombiac posted:

Some people think text and subtext are the same thing.

Like I always say, subtlety is for the weak.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like I always say, subtlety is for the weak.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Avengers: Infinity War when Thor is picked up by the Guardians they couldn't do a dialogue exchange where one of them identifies Thor as an Asgardian and Quill, a man child, respond with an rear end-Guardian quip because in Thor: Ragnarok, they already had Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster do an "rear end-guard" joke.

:yosbutt: :black101:

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 13:09 on May 28, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mojo1701a posted:

I finally watched Spider-Man: Homecoming last week, and the one thing I really loved about the movie is how it addressed that if Spider-Man is stuck outside of a city full of high-rises, he can't travel as fast as he would otherwise. I mean, he still ended up using streetlights, but still.

That was cool and also something that the Ultimate Spiderman game nailed. I remember even as a kid watching the old cartoons and wondering wtf his web was sticking too. After i investigated it and learned that clouds were not, in any way, solid, I just decided there were lots of helicopters in NYC.

And this might be the reverse of subtle, but I used to SWEAR that there were Spiderman cartoons that showed his full webbing on his costume and some that didn't. I'm talking OLD original spiderman cartoons here but it must have been my imagination because I can't find any that show the web lines on his body.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Imagined posted:

Just like Batman v Superman

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That didn't even last until the end of that movie.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Something I noticed in Brave while watching it with my sick kiddo today:
The necklace with which Merida pays the witch is the same one her mother was wearing in the opening scene when she and Elinor had a much closer relationship. Thinking in symbolism, Merida bartered away what was left of her relationship with Elinor for what ultimately rekindled it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The emotional ending of Infinity Wars was largely toothless for adults, but a full three weeks after it’s release my kid came running up to me after hearing about everyone who died and now insists on seeing that movie.

Comic book movies are by their nature for kids and children don’t follow future sequel release dates or keep track of tired superhero tropes.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I appreciate that Infinity War doesn't actually give a nod to the fact that they're totally all coming back to life.

Like sure as an adult who likes comics I get how things work. I can see how it's probably going to play out but the way the movie gives none of that away on it's own is great.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I feel like the post-credits scene is a bit of a nod.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Deadpool 2: Plenty of people noticed that when The Vanisher is (briefly) shown on-screen, it's Brad Pitt; but something I missed and read about is that one of the two rednecks when Cable shows up (the non-Alan Tudyk one) is Matt Damon.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I feel like the post-credits scene is a bit of a nod.

Nah. That's just a 'here's the next exciting character!', it doesn't actually imply people are going to un-die.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Within infinity its presented as done and finished and no takebacks

Which is good because the heroes were such idiotic shits for the entire runtime Im glad Thanos won.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Watching the A Series of Unfortunate Events film today, I noticed that the saccharine sweet opening with the animated elf had a few really creepy things going on in it: 1. one of the elves is holding a shotgun and wearing a bandolier 2. the elf smashes the bird we're following with the door he bursts through, and 3. the bear that's barely on screen has huge fangs visible near the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXAZ50HOj6s

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agent355 posted:

Nah. That's just a 'here's the next exciting character!', it doesn't actually imply people are going to un-die.

Sure but if anyone can bring them back, it is my wife Ms. Marvel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Sure but if anyone can bring them back, it is my wife Ms. Marvel.

Ms. Marvel is a teenage girl, you monster.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrBouvenstein posted:

Deadpool 2: Plenty of people noticed that when The Vanisher is (briefly) shown on-screen, it's Brad Pitt; but something I missed and read about is that one of the two rednecks when Cable shows up (the non-Alan Tudyk one) is Matt Damon.

Matt Damon played the Asgardian actor playing "Loki" in Thor 3. So maybe they're the same character?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Barudak posted:

Within infinity its presented as done and finished and no takebacks

Which is good because the heroes were such idiotic shits for the entire runtime Im glad Thanos won.

That movie would've been way better if Thanos had been the main character instead of... five different storylines at the same time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

mojo1701a posted:

That movie would've been way better if Thanos had been the main character instead of... five different storylines at the same time.

Thanos was the main character. The whole movie was about Thanos’ origins, rise, struggle, and ultimate success. Classic hero’s journey. It might as well have been called Thanos: the Movie.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mojo1701a posted:

:psyduck:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

What's so :psyduck: about this? The movie was disjointed as poo poo and was boring because of it. Thanos was the only one who was actually interesting and expressed agency and motivation.

Ariong posted:

Thanos was the main character. The whole movie was about Thanos’ origins, rise, struggle, and ultimate success. Classic hero’s journey. It might as well have been called Thanos: the Movie.

I'd love to see a recut of the movie that actually shows this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You watch movies wrong.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

You can. It's called "the version literally everybody else saw."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Double post, but separate thought: I know Marvel won't do it, but it would be awesome if every single character that died stays dead, and the announced sequels were with different characters. Sure, they announced Spider-Man 2, but who says it's Peter Parker and not Miles Morales? Black Panther 2 could have Shuri take the mantle. They even already introduced an entire new Guardians of the Galaxy in the end credits of Vol. 2.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, my bad. I didn't mean a real recut, I meant cut out the parts that detracted from this and make it tighter.

Edit:

rydiafan posted:

Double post, but separate thought: I know Marvel won't do it, but it would be awesome if every single character that died stays dead, and the announced sequels were with different characters. Sure, they announced Spider-Man 2, but who says it's Peter Parker and not Miles Morales? Black Panther 2 could have Shuri take the mantle. They even already introduced an entire new Guardians of the Galaxy in the end credits of Vol. 2.

This would be great.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Those parts were fun and I enjoyed them. Welp, bye.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

mojo1701a posted:

This would be great.

It would tank their box office and piss off so many fan-boys who would otherwise buy merchandise for themselves, and their nieces and nephews, so probably not.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mojo1701a posted:

What's so :psyduck: about this? The movie was disjointed as poo poo and was boring because of it. Thanos was the only one who was actually interesting and expressed agency and motivation.

rydiafan posted:

i mean my dude the movie has all the subtlety of a glowing radioactive brick to the face so i don't really know what you're asking for other than to have someone explain what a protagonist is and their relation to narratives in cinema. that's what is so :psyduck: about it. you are missing glaringly obvious themes from a movie about a guy with a big glowing mitten and then asking for someone to make it easier for you.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

food court bailiff posted:

i mean my dude the movie has all the subtlety of a glowing radioactive brick to the face so i don't really know what you're asking for other than to have someone explain what a protagonist is and their relation to narratives in cinema. that's what is so :psyduck: about it. you are missing glaringly obvious themes from a movie about a guy with a big glowing mitten and then asking for someone to make it easier for you.

My dude I already rephrased what I meant and said they should've cut the stuff out that detracted from this. I know the movie's not subtle. I'm saying the movie was too long and some trimming could've been used.

Having said that, I knew it was going to happen because they were throwing in so many characters. I wasn't expecting much from an Avengers movie, but its pacing was off.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

mojo1701a posted:

My dude I already rephrased what I meant and said they should've cut the stuff out that detracted from this. I know the movie's not subtle. I'm saying the movie was too long and some trimming could've been used.

Having said that, I knew it was going to happen because they were throwing in so many characters. I wasn't expecting much from an Avengers movie, but its pacing was off.

Should have started with Thanos in a suspended cage asking a skeleton (who is wearing the completed Infinity Gauntlet) "I bet your wondering how I got here" with the rest of the movie in media res.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

That was cool and also something that the Ultimate Spiderman game nailed. I remember even as a kid watching the old cartoons and wondering wtf his web was sticking too. After i investigated it and learned that clouds were not, in any way, solid, I just decided there were lots of helicopters in NYC.

And this might be the reverse of subtle, but I used to SWEAR that there were Spiderman cartoons that showed his full webbing on his costume and some that didn't. I'm talking OLD original spiderman cartoons here but it must have been my imagination because I can't find any that show the web lines on his body.

That was played as a neat moment in an otherwise lovely edgelord story arc Todd McFarlane did where Spidey was helping Wolverine out in the Canadian wilderness. Not much webswinging to be done in the great white north.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Watching the bit in Ragnarok with the play and actors because I thought to myself when I first watched it "man those dudes all look super familiar". Clearly I watch movies wrong because when you actually pay attention it's pretty obvious who the actors are.

Anyway, the bit directly after Loki saying he knows exactly where Odin is, there's a smash-cut* of the Bifrost being activated and firing out a beam to Earth that is very reminiscent of an Edgar Wright mini-montage like when they're pulling pints in The World's End.

*could be the wrong term, I don't actually know what it should be called, but if you can line up the scene I'm sure someone who knows movies can correct me on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I just realized that Matt Damon played characters named Loki in both Ragnarok and Dogma.