Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

This country loving sucks.

e: I’m not diluting the disgust I feel over this article with a silly dog picture

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah it's truly a miracle that there doesn't appear to be any major injuries or fatalities. Hopefully that's still true in the morning. :ohdear:

Welp. 1 person is reported missing now. Former AF/current ANG soldier who was last seen trying to rescue people stranded in cars. :(

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The only shocking part is they didn't charge him with escape.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress you for your service!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001085207825534976?s=19

It ain't your goddamn day and you're not dead yet, so I'mma jerk myself off on Twitter - the President of the United States

2015 was his "happy memorial day, even to my haters and losers" greeting so I guess I shouldn't be so angry!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress you for your service!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001085207825534976?s=19

It ain't your goddamn day and you're not dead yet, so I'mma jerk myself off on Twitter - the President of the United States

2015 was his "happy memorial day, even to my haters and losers" greeting so I guess I shouldn't be so angry!

"Your son died so unemployment could stay below 5%."

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

gently caress the rich

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/28/world/europe/uk-austerity-poverty.html

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This country loving sucks.

e: I’m not diluting the disgust I feel over this article with a silly dog picture

Not probating you for that disgust either. This is gross.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I read it several times before realizing he ends it with "Nice!"

Oh yeah, Melania got tired of putting up with his bullshit and is moving back to New York.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Sergg posted:

I read it several times before realizing he ends it with "Nice!"

Oh yeah, Melania got tired of putting up with his bullshit and is moving back to New York.

Verified?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Surprised the Memorial Day MAGA sale Trump is touting hasn't gotten more press:

https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/photos/a.488852220724.393301.153080620724/10161046689940725/?type=3

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at least trump pardoned sheriff joe.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

boop the snoot posted:

at least trump pardoned sheriff joe.

Huckabee's pardon of Maurice Clemens really hosed up pardons of violent felons. Nobody wants to take that risk any more.

Edit: let's not forget Willie Horton

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 28, 2018

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Verrit code 42069

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NSA WIZARD posted:

WORKING OUT THE BUGS ON THE MELANIA-BOT. SHE'LL BE BACK IN THE NEWS SOON.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Woodchip posted:

Verrit code 42069

Well, that's a blast from the recent past.

:yosnice:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Sergg posted:

“According to a pool report, President Trump responded by pointing to a window in the White House residence, and said: “She’s doing great. She’s looking at us right there.”

Reporters turned to look at the spot he indicated, but there was no sign of the first lady.”

Depending on what you read/believe, Melania never wanted to be First Lady and was despondent when Trump won the election. At the very least, I can’t imagine she’s very happy with all of the Stormy Daniels crap. But hey, she stuck with Trump during the birther bullshit and his horrifying campaign, so I can’t exactly feel much sympathy for her. She could have picked a much nicer person to lovelessly marry to get her citizenship.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Smiling Jack posted:

Huckabee's pardon of Maurice Clemens really hosed up pardons of violent felons. Nobody wants to take that risk any more.

drat, that dude was bugfuck crazy. Sounds like the system really dropped the ball before the shooting happened since he was loving molesting kids and all sorts of crazy poo poo for like 9 years without getting his rear end thrown back in prison.

edit: nevermind he was out on bail when it happened, me no read gud

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Laranzu posted:

MML.

I have tomorrow off. If you find anything about cleanup volunteers let me know?

I don't think they're going to let any non-EMS folks down there today, but I registered as a disaster recovery volunteer here.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

Edit: let's not forget Willie Horton
I think there's a difference between a pedophile doing 95 years for aggravated robbery and a man whose crime was dealing crack in the 90s, who had zero disciplinary infractions and who has been a model parolee. In a sane universe, Matthew Charles would be the archetype for use of the Presidential pardon power.

I feel like CNN is padding their "one school shooting a week" numbers a bit here, since

quote:

A person was shot on the campus of Savannah State University and taken to a nearby hospital where he later died. Neither the victim nor the shooter were university students, the college said.
and

quote:

A person was shot in a rec center at Mississippi Valley State University. Police said the person was not a student and the injury was not life-threatening.
and

quote:

A student shot another student with a BB gun in Gloversville Middle School.
are qualitatively different than

quote:

A 19-year-old man gunned down students and staff with a rifle at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, slaughtering at least 17 unsuspecting students and adults. The shooter, Nikolas Cruz, had been expelled from the high school over disciplinary problems, officials said.
and don't really belong on the same list. Most of their entries are domestics, gang violence, or NDs, rather than a student stalking his classmates through the halls with an AK-47.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't think they're going to let any non-EMS folks down there today, but I registered as a disaster recovery volunteer here.

I have some 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon connections with people who might be involved with recovery efforts, I'll post in here if/when I hear anything.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think there's a difference between a pedophile doing 95 years for aggravated robbery and a man whose crime was dealing crack in the 90s, who had zero disciplinary infractions and who has been a model parolee. In a sane universe, Matthew Charles would be the archetype for use of the Presidential pardon power.

He wasn't just dealing crack. He had several violent felony convictions, including kidnapping, shooting a guy, and a felon in possession of firearms.

I don't think he should be heading back to jail, but he didn't get that sentence just got being a crack dealer, he was a very violent felon and no politician is gonna gamble on pardoning him.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

I feel like CNN is padding their "one school shooting a week" numbers a bit here, since
and
and
are qualitatively different than
and don't really belong on the same list. Most of their entries are domestics, gang violence, or NDs, rather than a student stalking his classmates through the halls with an AK-47.

These school shootings shouldn't count because they weren't the right kind of shooting at a school. gently caress out of here with that

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

These school shootings shouldn't count because they weren't the right kind of shooting at a school. gently caress out of here with that

Naw, when people say "school shootings" they're implying things like Columbine, Parkland, El Paso, etc. 1 or 2 students with weapons attempting to inflict mass casualties on those in the school building. A couple of gangbangers having a shootout on school property after dark isn't the same thing and you are being disingenuous by conflating them.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I mean, getting shot with a BB gun isn't really a school shooting.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SimonCat posted:

Naw, when people say "school shootings" they're implying things like Columbine, Parkland, El Paso, etc. 1 or 2 students with weapons attempting to inflict mass casualties on those in the school building. A couple of gangbangers having a shootout on school property after dark isn't the same thing and you are being disingenuous by conflating them.

Quit being a fucktard

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
CNN or anyone who uses those types of incidents as "school shootings" is using it to purposefully misinform people, to purposefully inflate the number of incidents in order to shock or get more clicks and shares, because when the average person thinks of "school shootings" they think of Santa Fe and Parkland, not some guy who isn't even a student getting shot on an open college campus.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh hey welcome Dead Reckoning Defense Force, can't wait for the quality posting you're all known for in defense of our country's 2A rights

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Oh hey welcome Dead Reckoning Defense Force, can't wait for the quality posting you're all known for in defense of our country's 2A rights

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
ShAlL nOt MeAnS sHaLl NoT

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

If "school shooting" can mean anything from "student disciplined for zapping another student with a BB gun" to "rival gangs going at it in the parking lot" to "Columbine", then what is the point of counting them? Because those are three problems with very different consequences and solutions.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SimonCat posted:

Ah yes, those gangbangers having a shootout on school property, it's simply Tuesday. The psychological impact of having that type of violence trivialized by society at large certainly doesn't have second order psychological impacts on the already marginalized communities where gang violence is prevalent.

Like Jesus dude do you have a soul?

Edit: it was a shooting at a school, but the wrong type of shooting so we'll just mark it down as "School shooting - other" as opposed to "School shooting - mass casualty" since we're loving qualifying these things now. Gotta make sure we keep the stats properly compartmentalized for murders that take place at our educational institutions! Remember that "School shooting - suspected gang activity" gets tracked under the " gently caress the poor" column.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 28, 2018

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There’s a pretty big difference between a shooting that happened near a school and a shooting targeting a school dude

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SimonCat posted:

"Well, you see, gun regulation wouldn't have stopped this, and furthermore FAKE NEWS!"

TFR is leaking again.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm the guy that doesn't include gun suicides in my gun violence statistics

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Well its not technically a school shooting if the person shooting is no longer attending, furthermore

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm the guy that doesn't include gun suicides in my gun violence statistics

Also: Don't forget that DR is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad at statistics and has been called out multiple times in D&D and other threads for not only misreading statistics, but using some very sketchy sources of stats.

Also: LMFAO at DR's new Avatar. He's really down to a one pony show, isn't he?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
REEEEE GUNCHAT REEEEEE GUNCHAT REEEEEE

Am I doing it right? Or do I need to poo poo myself a little, too?

Christ, just put DR on ignore and move on.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Why won't these uppity Poors respect the law man?!?! They're just a bunch of bad apples who don't respect how we turn a blind eye to the violent murder of their children and community members. Like what's the big loving deal? #salutetheflag

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McNally posted:

REEEEE GUNCHAT REEEEEE GUNCHAT REEEEEE

Am I doing it right? Or do I need to poo poo myself a little, too?

Christ, just put DR on ignore and move on.

He brought friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
You see if Fox News can fearmonger and lie and twist the truth it's quite okay for us to do so because guns

• Locked thread