Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

This was more boring the grand prix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Schlesische posted:

Absolutely go gently caress yourself.

The Frenchman vs the Terrible Hair

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Lewis is lapping significantly faster in the initial phase of the race, pits for fresher tires, and remains significantly faster. Ocon pits, Lewis starts to try and "manage" his tires (whines about them on radio) and Ocon bridges the gap a little in clean air. Lewis tries to attack Vettel for a couple laps as Vettel makes another 4 lap attack on Ricciardo, quickly backs off to bitch about his tires some more, Ocon continues to enjoy mostly clean running. The only reason it tightened up in the end is because Mercedes still don't get the tires and Lewis was trying to do like 69 (niiiiiiiice) laps on Ultrasofts, something Pirelli designed the Supersofts to do.

At no point in that early phase was holding up Hamilton going to be remotely in Ocon's advantage. You can call out the fact Toto Wolff had a conversation with Szafnauer or "Messeur or Madame Whogivesashit" as much as you want, until there's evidence otherwise you're just parroting the dumb talking points Sky used to try and liven up a dull point in a tense if unspectacular race.

Here are the laptimes and gap-to-leader times that Lance Stroll had.

Gap to leader

Lap time, in seconds

I've thrown in Max, because he was the actual fastest driver on the course and Sergei Sirotkin because he's the closest "I'm not getting blues here" driver to Lance Stroll (although I don't think Stroll was actively lapped by that many drivers, I think he mostly got lapped during his trips to the pits).
Stroll got a heap of time for a couple of laps because he was on Hypersofts and had an overabundance of clean air; He didn't, at any stage, get 40 loving laps worth of 5-7 seconds a lap advantage in one pit stop (he had to pit 3 times, the latter two for fresh Hypers). In both of his "enforced" pitstops (he punctured his Supers in lap 34 and had to go to fresh Hypers, which meant he had to pit in lap 59 for another pair of Hypers) the same thing happens - he warms the tires, gets a 3-4 lap burst of 4 seconds that degrades to the plateau in 4 laps and then chugs along until the end of the stint.
I know what you're saying though: "Lance is a binman (two punctures? come on buddy) driving a shitbox (temperature warnings all race? come on Williams), show me a real driver!", and don't worry, we'll get to that.

The one-stop strategy dominates at like 90% of the tracks this season and it's largely because the total gain is negligible compared to losing track position and potentially ruining a new set of tires; track position is King in Modern F1 and it's not just a Monaco thing. That's partly because Mercedes (and presumably Ferrari, to a point) have purpose built their car to work significantly better in clean air, to the extreme detriment of it's aerodynamic package's ability to follow and overtake, partly because the engines don't like the heat given off by the exhaust of a car in front and partly because the tires have ridiculously specific temperature windows because Pirelli have overengineered this and hosed it all.
None of the above is likely to change.

Here's Max and the Train.

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds
Red dot = overtake while they were pitting, Blue dot = overtake on track

Long story short, Max was never close enough to go for big time overtakes on other drivers other than Hulkenburg - who had a bit of pace himself - and Sainz, who had a garbageman day. His Hypers lasted a lot longer than I think anyone would've predicted, but even then we're talking maybe 30 seconds of total advantage on the dominant chassis which was already noted pre-race to be treating it's tires supremely well, which ground to a halt behind Hulkenburg and required imaginative use of track widths to get past sainz. By the time Max catches the Finntrain it's so big that he's got no chance of getting through it at Monaco, but his laptimes have already started completely disintegrating.

Let's go into the Hypothetical, Seb switches to the Hypers and gets Max's 12 laps of burst. If he comes in in lap 64, to maximise his burst (2 laps of warm up, 12 laps of balls to the wall) he comes out of the pits behind the finntrain and has to get through 6 drivers, including two Mercedes, to get back to a position to attack Ricciardo. Lets uhh... let's scrap that.
Let's say lap 54 then - there's a 28 second gap back to Ocon, let's say Vettel puts in a Superman-esque in-lap and comes out 2 seconds in front of Ocon. He still has to get by his main championship rival's teammate, his main championship rival and then hope there's enough left in the tires, the battery and the fuel tank to get him by Ricciardo, whose performance in Austria last year leaves no doubt that he's handy driving defensively.
Let's take this away from Monaco, even at Silverstone I don't see him making that stick. And it's not because Monaco is a procession, it's because the tires aren't 4-5s a lap for 10 laps quicker, they're 4s a lap quicker for 1 lap, then degrading so that by lap 10 you're maybe 1/2 a second quicker, maybe. New tires might get you 25-30 seconds, but they're gonna cost you at least 25 seconds and if something goes wrong you're hosed. By driving so slowly, Dan actually (probably inadvertently) took the extra stop off the table because it meant Seb didn't have a window to fall back into and ultimately that works on any circuit where you have the absolute dominance in the bendy bits the way Dan had.

Did you get any of that, or are you a big dumb baby?

All graphs pulled from here.

I don't know whats dumber, responding to Khablam or thinking anyones going to read all that poo poo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Basticle posted:

I don't know whats dumber, responding to Khablam or thinking anyones going to read all that poo poo.

:discourse:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Monaco, the post.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Monaco, the post.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Monaco, the post.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Schlesische posted:

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Lewis is lapping significantly faster in the initial phase of the race, pits for fresher tires, and remains significantly faster. Ocon pits, Lewis starts to try and "manage" his tires (whines about them on radio) and Ocon bridges the gap a little in clean air. Lewis tries to attack Vettel for a couple laps as Vettel makes another 4 lap attack on Ricciardo, quickly backs off to bitch about his tires some more, Ocon continues to enjoy mostly clean running. The only reason it tightened up in the end is because Mercedes still don't get the tires and Lewis was trying to do like 69 (niiiiiiiice) laps on Ultrasofts, something Pirelli designed the Supersofts to do.

At no point in that early phase was holding up Hamilton going to be remotely in Ocon's advantage. You can call out the fact Toto Wolff had a conversation with Szafnauer or "Messeur or Madame Whogivesashit" as much as you want, until there's evidence otherwise you're just parroting the dumb talking points Sky used to try and liven up a dull point in a tense if unspectacular race.

Gap to leader

Lap time, in seconds

I've thrown in Max, because he was the actual fastest driver on the course and Sergei Sirotkin because he's the closest "I'm not getting blues here" driver to Lance Stroll (although I don't think Stroll was actively lapped by that many drivers, I think he mostly got lapped during his trips to the pits).
Stroll got a heap of time for a couple of laps because he was on Hypersofts and had an overabundance of clean air; He didn't, at any stage, get 40 loving laps worth of 5-7 seconds a lap advantage in one pit stop (he had to pit 3 times, the latter two for fresh Hypers). In both of his "enforced" pitstops (he punctured his Supers in lap 34 and had to go to fresh Hypers, which meant he had to pit in lap 59 for another pair of Hypers) the same thing happens - he warms the tires, gets a 3-4 lap burst of 4 seconds that degrades to the plateau in 4 laps and then chugs along until the end of the stint.
I know what you're saying though: "Lance is a binman (two punctures? come on buddy) driving a shitbox (temperature warnings all race? come on Williams), show me a real driver!", and don't worry, we'll get to that.

The one-stop strategy dominates at like 90% of the tracks this season and it's largely because the total gain is negligible compared to losing track position and potentially ruining a new set of tires; track position is King in Modern F1 and it's not just a Monaco thing. That's partly because Mercedes (and presumably Ferrari, to a point) have purpose built their car to work significantly better in clean air, to the extreme detriment of it's aerodynamic package's ability to follow and overtake, partly because the engines don't like the heat given off by the exhaust of a car in front and partly because the tires have ridiculously specific temperature windows because Pirelli have overengineered this and hosed it all.

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Long story short, Max was never close enough to go for big time overtakes on other drivers other than Hulkenburg - who had a bit of pace himself - and Sainz, who had a garbageman day. His Hypers lasted a lot longer than I think anyone would've predicted, but even then we're talking maybe 30 seconds of total advantage on the dominant chassis which was already noted pre-race to be treating it's tires supremely well, which ground to a halt behind Hulkenburg and required imaginative use of track widths to get past sainz. By the time Max catches the Finntrain it's so big that he's got no chance of getting through it at Monaco, but his laptimes have already started completely disintegrating.

Let's go into the Hypothetical, Seb switches to the Hypers and gets Max's 12 laps of burst. If he comes in in lap 64, to maximise his burst (2 laps of warm up, 12 laps of balls to the wall) he comes out of the pits behind the finntrain and has to get through 6 drivers, including two Mercedes, to get back to a position to attack Ricciardo. Lets uhh... let's scrap that.
Let's say lap 54 then - there's a 28 second gap back to Ocon, let's say Vettel puts in a Superman-esque in-lap and comes out 2 seconds in front of Ocon. He still has to get by his main championship rival's teammate, his main championship rival and then hope there's enough left in the tires, the battery and the fuel tank to get him by Ricciardo, whose performance in Austria last year leaves no doubt that he's handy driving defensively.
Let's take this away from Monaco, even at Silverstone I don't see him making that stick. And it's not because Monaco is a procession, it's because the tires aren't 4-5s a lap for 10 laps quicker, they're 4s a lap quicker for 1 lap, then degrading so that by lap 10 you're maybe 1/2 a second quicker, maybe. New tires might get you 25-30 seconds, but they're gonna cost you at least 25 seconds and if something goes wrong you're hosed. By driving so slowly, Dan actually (probably inadvertently) took the extra stop off the table because it meant Seb didn't have a window to fall back into and ultimately that works on any circuit where you have the absolute dominance in the bendy bits the way Dan had.

Forgot to say, the reason pitting for Hypers at 54 was a huge gamble had to do with the fact that you're pushing them past the 20 lap recommended run time; sure there's less fuel and more rubber on track, but in theory you're still gambling on either getting a huge gap or a safety car to bring it into the genuinely safe zone. Hulkenburg and Verstappen disproved this, but if you're Ferrari you'd have to be seriously wondering if it's worth it.

Lol at thinking that anybody will read this poo poo you loving lil nerd. #ForzaFerrari

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

There are pictures for the slow learners in the class.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Schlesische posted:

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Gap to leader

Lap time, in seconds

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Forgot to say, the reason pitting for Hypers at 54 was a huge gamble had to do with the fact that you're pushing them past the 20 lap recommended run time; sure there's less fuel and more rubber on track, but in theory you're still gambling on either getting a huge gap or a safety car to bring it into the genuinely safe zone. Hulkenburg and Verstappen disproved this, but if you're Ferrari you'd have to be seriously wondering if it's worth it.

I bet you like baseball.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Nice meltdown

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Khablam posted:

Did you not watch the race? The lap times of the people pitting were dropping by 4-5s - I did not pull this figure out of my rear end. Lance Stroll was the fastest man on the circuit for a whole bunch of laps.

That the difference is 5% of the race time is my entire loving point passing is so certainly impossible without several seconds a lap difference the drivers will not give up track position if they could help it at all.
Max couldn't even try to pass people several seconds slower.

Ocon slowing and going off-line on the straight AT MONACO immediately after a Mercedes team principle went to speak to Force India is so so so so obvious it should go without saying.

Stop doubling down lol you're incredibly wrong.

Yep. He wouldn't have to sacrifice much, if anything to keep Hamilton behind him. There's a big difference between 'not defending an overtake' and 'slowing down on the straight to let him past'.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Schlesische posted:

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Gap to leader

Lap time, in seconds

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Look I love War and Peace as much as the next guy but this contemporary reimagining of it is a little dry.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Schlesische posted:

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Gap to leader

Lap time, in seconds

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Stroll driver of the...day?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Nobody in this thread responds to facts, we just shout our opinions at each other until someone gets bored.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Basticle posted:

I read it all. I agree.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It beats talking about food and other poo poo I personally don’t care about.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi everyone, whats going on?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Eating is disgusting. I want to absorb all my nutrients from the Sunlight like “The End” from MGS3.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I thought it was a good read. :smith:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Schlesische posted:

Well, according to those graphs, Ocon would have been able to mount an attack on Hamilton later in the race, had he kept him behind until he pitted, so I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to prove?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tsaedje posted:

Nobody in this thread responds to facts, we just shout our opinions at each other until someone gets bored.

I mean yeah, welcome to the internet?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Minto Took posted:

I thought it was a good read. :smith:

In extremely Wirth1000 voice Read my balls.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[diving in front of the thread like a Secret Service agent] Mercedes doesn’t have Ferrari-style sidepods

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I checked those graphs and from what I can tell from an exhaustive analysis of the data, Ferrari is FTW. #ForzaFerrari

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It was an exciting race, look at all these graphs and pages of text that say so.

I can't read the graph where everybody is a shade of blue, is this my colour blindness or can no-one else either?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I read it and I still don’t know what they’re arguing about, although they seem to be doing it skillfully

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IFvOjgewQ

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Howard Stern's penis

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Minto Took posted:

Slight disagree. Whenever Lewis loses, we all win.

:same:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Delete this crap

Clarence
May 3, 2012

It was an exciting race to watch live because of the tension over whether Are Dan would get to the end or not. Without that it's a total bore-fest and will be way down the list to watch as a re-run.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=218727

DoctorGonzo posted:

Delete this crap

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Clarence posted:

It was an exciting race to watch live because of the tension over whether Are Dan would get to the end or not. Without that it's a total bore-fest and will be way down the list to watch as a re-run.

These things are far better engineered with way better tolerances than they were 30 years ago, the idea of that car dying because of a auxiliary power system failure is absurd. They could've lost half the spark plugs and kept going.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

1500quidporsche posted:

These things are far better engineered with way better tolerances than they were 30 years ago, the idea of that car dying because of a auxiliary power system failure is absurd. They could've lost half the spark plugs and kept going.

30 years ago you could lose half the gears and still keep going.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
1950s was all about more spark plugs for the spark plug gods.

Also if you were the number one driver and your car broke mid race they would call the second driver in and force him to hand his car over to you.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You already did it that joke

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

You already did it that joke

Oh. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I enjoyed this. Is there somewhere I can go and read this sort of thing without having to read the worst thread?