Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That looks like an MSPaint Let's Play. Is that game real? I see it on the steam page, but still don't believe you.

This is another F.R.I.E.N.D.S. True Friends, isn't it?

If you're new to KoDP the GOG version restores some events that the Steam/Mobile version cut, I think. There was recently a huge discussion of the different versions in some thread.

E: also there's a sequel coming out this year and it looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Slime posted:

King of Dragon Pass is set in a world where LARPing is a way to communicate with the gods. By re-enacting the myths, your clan can enter the realm of the gods and interact with them. Your clan put together LARPing outfits and everything. It's awesome.

Tying into non-linear ness of time, doing so lets you enter god time. God time has no causality, all stories are true, etc. To avoid infinite god warfare they invented linear time so that cause and effect flowed, but since linear time is an invention it is distinct and after god time. This means by larping super hard you can enter into a story of your god, change details, and have these details then cascade into linear time as you experience it. This also means you changed the rules for the larp so you cant do the same thing anymore to get back into that story to access god time.

And you can do this for big things like “I wish this rival empires founder hadnt been the one gifted knowledge of iron” or just your sick of your people being basket weavers and wish they were hat makers

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I only read a LP of KoDP, but doesn't your leader have to bang a mountain in the endgame?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Runequest was a tabletop fantasy RPG invented in the fairly early days of the hobby, where most people were following the lead of Dungeons and Dragons. It gained prominence partly for its setting, Glorantha, which was way more detailed and distinctive than most- D&D was all generic fantasyland with elves and orcs and so on, Glorantha really derived from Greg Stafford's interest in mythology and Joseph Campbell and so was sorta built from its mythology up. The game itself had a lot of emphasis on going on a hero's quest rather than just getting loot and XP, and each tribe in the game has shamans whose job it is to enact the old myths to gain wisdom from the various gods. So KoDP goes further and is as much realm management simulator as it is an RPG, it's all about providing for a tribe and gaining influence and learning the ancient mysteries.

Stafford is also a practicing shaman according to his Wiki page.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Barudak posted:

Tying into non-linear ness of time, doing so lets you enter god time. God time has no causality, all stories are true, etc. To avoid infinite god warfare they invented linear time so that cause and effect flowed, but since linear time is an invention it is distinct and after god time. This means by larping super hard you can enter into a story of your god, change details, and have these details then cascade into linear time as you experience it. This also means you changed the rules for the larp so you cant do the same thing anymore to get back into that story to access god time.

And you can do this for big things like “I wish this rival empires founder hadnt been the one gifted knowledge of iron” or just your sick of your people being basket weavers and wish they were hat makers

Or if you cock things up, you come back and every map in the world is suddenly blank because you erased the invention of mapmaking.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

Or if you cock things up, you come back and every map in the world is suddenly blank because you erased the invention of mapmaking.

Then why did they make the blank maps? :smug:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The important question: can I play the Steam version in a window yet? I know that's a weird hill to die on, but that's what killed the game for me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wait this is that Glorantha thing all the 13th Age people have been going on about? I suddenly did a 180 on it and now feel a burning need.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wait this is that Glorantha thing all the 13th Age people have been going on about? I suddenly did a 180 on it and now feel a burning need.

yes but if i remember right the 13th age in glorantha book limits itself mostly to the dragon pass part of the setting, which is missing a lot of the weirdness out in the rest of the world

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The best event in Dragon Pass is where a family's dead grandfather comes back and eats their food, creeping them out and going through the supplies. You can stop it by holding a feast and partying with it, or getting the trickster to leave a trail of food into a cave and trapping him in with a boulder. With other ghost events you can send your lawyers after them for tresspassing

My Lovely Horse posted:

13th age glorantha is a DND style ruleset for the setting, it's a good entry point if you don't really want to figure out a new system(I'd personally recommend getting Heroquest:Glorantha but 13th age is solid)

Brother Entropy posted:

yes but if i remember right the 13th age in glorantha book limits itself mostly to the dragon pass part of the setting, which is missing a lot of the weirdness out in the rest of the world

Dragon Pass is pretty weird. As well as the strangeness of the cosmology you have a lot of ancient races, ruined empires, Dragons and Dragonewts, the Lunar Empire have taken over a lot of it with all their mystic moon bullshit, and there's a lot of magic and heroes around. Plus it's in the centre of the continent, so it's easy to tie in other nearby places, like Prax with it's animal-riding nomads, ruins of dead gods and the city for dungeon crawling, or the Holy Country and all the associated cultures there. I can't really think of anywhere that isn't unusual aside from not-china and some of the Westerners. Honestly having it be a little less strange and more focused is a good thing, you need your players to understand what the hell's going on.

also obsidian software if you're reading this I will kill whoever you ask if you make a game where I play as Arkat

Wrestlepig has a new favorite as of 00:38 on May 29, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The best event in Dragon Pass is where a family's dead grandfather comes back and eats their food, creeping them out and going through the supplies. You can stop it by holding a feast and partying with it, or getting the trickster to leave a trail of food into a cave and trapping him in with a boulder. With other ghost events you can send your lawyers after them for tresspassing

So uh, what happens if you tell them to wait until he passes?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Leal posted:

So uh, what happens if you tell them to wait until he passes?

I've never taken that choice because it probably just leads to the farmers liking you less or losing some food. Plus I've always got a trickster to help solve this sort of crap, and you should almost always take the trickster option because it's fun.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

With other ghost events you can send your lawyers after them for tresspassing
Tell me about the ghost lawyers

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Xun posted:

a ghost that is haunting some place can be sued to not haunt that place.

nobody has mentioned the best part: you can deviate from the larping god time to change things. There was an entire country which did this to gently caress with God time to affect linear time. they did it so often and so much that the gods went "well, nah." and turned their continent into a craterous new ocean.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
It's funny how if this was a book I would be just like :rolleyes: ya ya of course. But since it's a game (even a interactive fiction game) I'm like no loving way is this real.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This game is on sale at GOG right now, is there any reason I shouldn't buy it there and wait for a Steam sale instead? Updated versions or such.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Xun posted:

quote:

Darndrev, a young, energetic farmer, on the road to prosperity, asks the clan council for help. He claims that his stead is haunted. Objects move about. wailing noises come from nowhere. Darndrev's wife and child have even seen an apparation.

1.Conduct a lawsuit against the ghost.
2.Launch a thorough investigation into the haunting.
3.Order Darndrev to move, burn down his stead.
4.Recommend that Darndrev move.
5.Send a debotee of Ernalda to bless Darndrev's house.

Samuringa posted:

This game is on sale at GOG right now, is there any reason I shouldn't buy it there and wait for a Steam sale instead? Updated versions or such.

the steam version's a port of the android one and has a couple annoyances like no windowed mode. you're better off with GOG or a phone version

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

the steam version's a port of the android one and has a couple annoyances like no windowed mode. you're better off with GOG or a phone version

It's done.

Tomorrow I shall gently caress with the ducks.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I did it. I hosed with the ducks.

I have relatively little idea what I’m doing but my clan isn’t a burning ruin yet so bonus?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You shouldn't have done that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You shouldn't have done that.

IIRC his avatar will be very appropriate for the end results

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Well, I definitely need to play this game.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

In Shadowrun: Dragonfall I was able tell almost anyone who asked what is my business at their place that I was "just passing through" or "just exploring" be it just curious people or angry enemies.
That was quite funny already, but in the very end in a massive underground lab where the big bad people were doing their misguided stuff I was confronted by their main guy and of course one of the responses was "Just passing through". I laughed as I chose that option.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sininu posted:

In Shadowrun: Dragonfall I was able tell almost anyone who asked what is my business at their place that I was "just passing through" or "just exploring" be it just curious people or angry enemies.
That was quite funny already, but in the very end in a massive underground lab where the big bad people were doing their misguided stuff I was confronted by their main guy and of course one of the responses was "Just passing through". I laughed as I chose that option.

So basically this?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

So basically this?

Exactly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sininu posted:

Well did it work?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

haveblue posted:

Well did it work?

I don't think that option ever worked on enemies. There were lot of times you could talk your way out though.
It was even possible to convince the brains behind the big bad story thing that his beliefs were false, but it didn't matter as his main henchman was too into his plan and killed him for changing his mind.

Sininu has a new favorite as of 15:34 on May 29, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I need to finish Dragonfall. I ended up sinking all my time into Hong Kong.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

marshmallow creep posted:

I need to finish Dragonfall. I ended up sinking all my time into Hong Kong.

I liked Dragonfall better overall, but Hong Kong had better moments.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Bloodborne's DLC after I:

Went through some kind of wierd flesh hive thing that gradually becomes more and more bloody culminating in an area literally named "corpse pile"
Fought a grotesque vomiting horse man atop said pile, then reassured his decapitated head that he'd done all right.
Climbed a tower filled with screaming mounds of flesh, some headless, some of whom teleport to space and summon meteors.
Went back in time to a village of fish/shark people and lots of topless snail women who also scream at you.
Beat the poo poo out of Benjamin Button and his placenta yo-yo with my giant buzzsaw.

Bloodborne!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
:bloodborne:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

my giant buzzsaw.

If you ain't using a pimp cane you ain't playing right. :colbert:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m a huge fan of the artistic design in Detroit: Become Human. Be it the clothes, environments, or even subtle things like product packaging I really dig the vibe the game gives off.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I have made a grave miscalculation.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:wotwot:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bussamove posted:

I hosed with the ducks.

Bussamove posted:

I have made a grave miscalculation.

King_Of_Dragon_Pass.txt

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

seriously the best part of the game. any time you're cocky and haven't encountered something before, you have a 33% having everybody killed

"I have never done this hero story before but I read the lore. I'm going to loving crush this" is a phrase you will say, and you will die to a sentient stone wheel representing doubt. literally.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Attempt 2: chose beastmen as ancient enemy but offered a peace treaty to the ducks. My people hate me but the ducks love me.

I feel this is the correct choice.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bussamove posted:

I feel this is the correct choice.

Famous last words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh, fyi on the ghost lawyer thing. The ghost can win, too. You can sue it to leave and lose.

And now I hear there is a sequel? That's so loving awesome.