Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really do wish that the lesson Disney takes is to maybe slow down and not have a Star War every year. Also do not fire directors once they've shot over half the movie.

But even if you didn't know about the behind the scenes fuckery, they kinda soft-pedaled this one in the midst of a very busy season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Waffles Inc. posted:

In what way is the Galactic Empire corrupt? I haven't seen Solo yet, but in the OT there doesn't seem to be any corruption that we see

Disbanding the Galactic Senate then blowing up a planet for no reason seems pretty corrupt.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I really do wish that the lesson Disney takes is to maybe slow down and not have a Star War every year. Also do not fire directors once they've shot over half the movie.

But even if you didn't know about the behind the scenes fuckery, they kinda soft-pedaled this one in the midst of a very busy season.

Maybe as a nerd we're biased, but drama aside, the rollout of promotion for Solo kinda smelled of a lack of confidence or interest on LFL's part

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

clown shoes posted:

It's not just Solo (or Soylo as they call it). Any movie that comes out that contains any kind of perceived social justice or diverse cast is targeted. Black Panther, Wonder Woman, Rogue One, The Last Jedi, Get Out, Ghostbusters—all of these films were targeted before they even came out. Just go to Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic and look at the lowest user ratings and reviews. Or go to the comments on any article about Solo, especially any about it missing box office projections, and ctrl-F "SJW" and you'll get hundreds of hits. It's all over Twitter with hashtags like #Soylo and #BoycottSolo.

It's the stupidest thing in the world but it is very real and prevalent. They're waging a culture war on every level.

all those movies you listed were huge box office successes in spite of the onslaught of alt right dweebs (except maybe Ghostbusters)

those people are definitely out there but they have yet to have a real impact on any movie’s success on their own

there are however a sizable amount of people who just didn’t enjoy TLJ as evidenced by its drop off after opening weekend and were left kind of cold on the franchise, and I think that’s at least part of what we’re seeing here (on top of the other factors)

there are a lot of lovely loud Nazis on the internet and IRL but people thinking those are the only people who really disliked TLJ and were turned off the next installation of these movies as a result are deluding themselves

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

clown shoes posted:

It's not just Solo (or Soylo as they call it). Any movie that comes out that contains any kind of perceived social justice or diverse cast is targeted. Black Panther, Wonder Woman, Rogue One, The Last Jedi, Get Out, Ghostbusters—all of these films were targeted before they even came out. Just go to Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic and look at the lowest user ratings and reviews. Or go to the comments on any article about Solo, especially any about it missing box office projections, and ctrl-F "SJW" and you'll get hundreds of hits. It's all over Twitter with hashtags like #Soylo and #BoycottSolo.

It's the stupidest thing in the world but it is very real and prevalent. They're waging a culture war on every level.

First time, I remember noticing this was the release of Mad Max Fury Road.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 28, 2018

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mandrel posted:

all those movies you listed were huge box office successes in spite of the onslaught of alt right dweebs (except maybe Ghostbusters)

those people are definitely out there but they have yet to have a real impact on any movie’s success on their own

there are however a sizable amount of people who just didn’t enjoy TLJ as evidenced by its drop off after opening weekend and were left kind of cold on the franchise, and I think that’s at least part of what we’re seeing here (on top of the other factors)

there are a lot of lovely loud Nazis on the internet and IRL but people thinking those are the only people who really disliked TLJ and were turned off the next installation of these movies as a result are deluding themselves

Yeah anecdotally. Most of the people I know were super excited to see TLJ and after seeing were "meh" about it and said they didn't really care to see another Star Wars movie. I think it was mostly from Luke's story being completed and not really caring about the new characters. But that is 30ish old people so they were more invested in the old Star Wars.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Maybe as a nerd we're biased, but drama aside, the rollout of promotion for Solo kinda smelled of a lack of confidence or interest on LFL's part

There may be something to that, and maybe they also didn't want the marketing to overlap much with TLJ's, but I'd venture that a lot of it was also due to the change in directors. Howard reshooting the large majority of the film, combined with Disney/Lucasfilm refusing to delay the release, meant that production ended closer to release than is normally the case for effects-heavy blockbuster films. That may have meant that there simply weren't enough effects shots completed to put together a trailer until early this year.

I really don't envy the folks who worked on FX for this film; crunch must have been crazy even by 2018 Hollywood blockbuster standards.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Solo was OK. None of the action scenes really stood out, unfortunately. Coulda been worse.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

Hi, apparent meme fundamentalist here to let you guys know that this Solo Star War story was a better watch than TPM and Attack of the Clones.

Thanks for reading.

Well that’s great and all, but what you’re saying is that you’ll pay to eat just mountains of poo poo so long as the poo poo doesn’t make fun of Luke Skywalker.

PostNouveau posted:

Solo was OK. None of the action scenes really stood out, unfortunately. Coulda been worse.

Like this, for example. The movie is not ok. The movie has worse editing than Jurassic World and Age Of Ultron combined.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 28, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Hi, apparent meme fundamentalist here to let you guys know that this Solo Star War story was a better watch than TPM and Attack of the Clones.

Thanks for reading.

Duh

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

People aren't abandoning star wars because TLJ is ~so bad,~ people aren't going because Solo represents a complete failure to understand why the average person likes Star Wars. Star Wars is about Big stories told in a fantastical setting, good vs evil, vast scopes, the fall of empires and etc. Even Rogue One understood this, for all its flaws, because even though it's a "small scale" story, its still about a big deal, trying to save the galaxy from an apocalyptic weapon at any cost and, in isolation, can at least be understood through that lens.

The average viewer isn't going to give a poo poo about Solo and never was, because there's no big interesting question about the story of Han Solo. He's a very simple archetypal Hollywood character that anyone can "get." Hes a backwater bootlegger who does Crimes and recently got in hot water. Everything you would want to know about him is conveyed in his first scene. There is no real reason to care about a "big heist" for the average viewer because they aren't going to Star Wars to watch a low stakes crime story with only three characters out of several they even know, with none of them being performed by the original actors. The producers looked at the MCU and tried to get themselves some of that, but they completely failed to understand that origin story movies "work" for comics films because they're an introductory adventure for a new character with room to grow, not an unneeded extrapolation on a character you already know well and is already dead with no chance to grow and change.

I'm not saying there's no place for Solo as a star wars film, but it should have never been a tentpole, because there was never going to be a chance of it supporting that kind of audience. It should have been a middle budget film with room to be weird, to make its money on the niche and secondary sales, but unfortunately Hollywood can only think in blockbusters now because Disney has broken everyone's brains.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

TLJ was like custom made to alienate as many fans as possible. Very remarkable accomplishment.

At least the prequels were bad in an interesting way. New Star Wars is just made in a boring way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Solo being a $40million low-key, single-town Western would have been great. Han Solo spending half his time in drinking establishments, the stakes were small, and the big show-down at the end of the film is a high-noon duel? That'd be fantastic compared to what we got, yeah.

And probably just as many people would have seen it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Revenge of the Sith too. I could never understand how people like that movie but hate TPM and AOTC when it’s just as laughably terrible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Revenge of the Sith is far worse than TPM or AOTC. ROTS was just fan service in the same way all these new movies are, TLJ aside. All the internet critics got to Lucas and he gave them what they wanted and it felt like a heavy metal poster on a teenager's wall.

Though while the prequels were far more creative and interesting, they are much harder to watch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Revenge of the Sith too.

No poo poo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RoTS is almost as bad as AoTC. I re-watched it last year and holy gently caress is it terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I generally enjoy the prequel trilogy but I've never understood why TPM gained this reputation for being hellishly terrible, because it's definitely the best of the three.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best parts of ROTS are the score and Sheeev. That’s it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I generally enjoy the prequel trilogy but I've never understood why TPM gained this reputation for being hellishly terrible, because it's definitely the best of the three.

it's the one that reminds people the most that these are movies for children

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

To be clear I don't hate any of the PT movies. I let go of my hate and I can see the good in all three. There's just more moments in RotS that I enjoy more than in either TPM or AotC.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

The best parts of ROTS are the score and Sheeev. That’s it.

Yeah, they belong in a better movie. I listened to them when I had chance to build some Lego ships.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
RotS may have fan service but it also has Obi-Wan Kenobi riding a giant lizard chasing after a four-armed cyborg riding some kind of giant hamster wheel through the caves of a planet that is all caves.

If Solo had anything like that I'd be singing its praises from the highest rooftop.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That part sucks and looks really bad. I don’t understand why that’s a good thing .

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The more I reflect on The Last Jedi, the happier I get that Rian Johnson gets 3 more Star Wars films. I'm even happier with the future of the franchise then I was in 1998 when I learned the prequels were coming

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

That part sucks and looks really bad. I don’t understand why that’s a good thing .

It looks like something you'd see in Thrilling Wonder Stories used to illustrate the latest planetary romance. It's precisely the kind of opulent weirdness that makes space opera great.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The movie has worse editing than Jurassic World and Age Of Ultron combined.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It got rat-hosed worse than Justice League.

Is it weird that I'm actually more interested in seeing this now? Like mediocre predictable garbage left me cold, but a full on trainwreck curio has my attention.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Patch Radical posted:

Is it weird that I'm actually more interested in seeing this now? Like mediocre predictable garbage left me cold, but a full on trainwreck curio has my attention.

nah i'm getting the same feeling from SMG's posts but it's only moving me from 'zero interest in wathcing' to 'will get around to it on a dead afternoon after it hits netflix'

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i think I’m developing a pet peeve for people criticizing something as fan service. i hear it mostly about the big nerd blockbusters and i just don’t know what those people want or expect from these movies that they wouldn’t construe as fan service. it feels like a complaint that inevitably just circles around to i don’t like this thing/i wish this were a different thing that services me

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Patch Radical posted:

It's not a trainwreck, it's meh and very, very predictable.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't think you can or should try to boil Solo's failure down to one factor. Over saturation because Disney is pumping these out at an absurd rate, TLJ being bad, and Solo just looking bad all most likely played a factor. They're basically running the perfect script for how to kill off general excitement about a classic series.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean the seams do show in a few places so it might be worth looking at purely from that perspective. If nothing else you can tell Howard's portion of the filming was super rushed.

Like one of the notable things was we saw the publicity photos with the Falcon looking new and clean and right off the factory floor, but if you look at it in the movie that sense isn't there because the photography is very dim and blue-tinted.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Raccooon posted:

This is backlash from TLJ

Hm, yes, The Last Jedi, the movie that had that awful CinemaScore of ... oh, A? The same as Force Awakens? Wow, fancy that.

No, Solo is failing for four reasons:

1) Historically, Star Wars has been an "event" series. Cramming two movies six months apart from each other works for Marvel, but audiences are not used to that from Star Wars.

2) We didn't even get a teaser trailer until three months before the movie's release and the marketing push was halfhearted at best.

3) Early buzz was incredibly mediocre, like "it's not that bad."

4) The movie was released in the wake of Infinity War and Deadpool 2, both of which are making a zillion dollars. It's a crowded marketplace and Fox absolutely punked Disney by moving Deadpool's date.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Timby posted:

Fox absolutely punked Disney by moving Deadpool's date.

what an amazing surreal sentence to read

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Timby posted:

Hm, yes, The Last Jedi, the movie that had that awful CinemaScore of ... oh, A? The same as Force Awakens? Wow, fancy that.

No, Solo is failing for four reasons:

1) Historically, Star Wars has been an "event" series. Cramming two movies six months apart from each other works for Marvel, but audiences are not used to that from Star Wars.

2) We didn't even get a teaser trailer until three months before the movie's release and the marketing push was halfhearted at best.

3) Early buzz was incredibly mediocre, like "it's not that bad."

4) The movie was released in the wake of Infinity War and Deadpool 2, both of which are making a zillion dollars. It's a crowded marketplace and Fox absolutely punked Disney by moving Deadpool's date.

That’s the thing Deadpool is now a bigger event movie than Star Wars. People left Last Jedi with zero enthusiasm to see another one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Raccooon posted:

People left Last Jedi with zero enthusiasm to see another one.

Except for a small, vocal subset of the Internet, people liked Last Jedi.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Raccooon posted:

That’s the thing Deadpool is now a bigger event movie than Star Wars. People left Last Jedi with zero enthusiasm to see another one.

I left The Last Jedi with maximum enthusiasm to see more Star Wars immediately

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t claim to have a wide circle of people I talk too, but I’ve rarely met anyone who really liked it outside of hard core everything is good in SW types.

Everyone else is like “ehh”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also TLJ did feel like a good SW end to me and I really don’t need to see any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t claim to have a wide circle of people I talk too, but I’ve rarely met anyone who really liked it outside of hard core everything is good in SW types.

Well, again, going by CinemaScore, Last Jedi ranked as an A, same as Force Awakens and Rogue One.

Solo is the first Disney-era film to have a CinemaScore lower than A.

It's a movie that no one knew was coming and no one was given a reason to care about.