Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What was the event that happened in 1969 in Cambodia?

And has anyone read any of the Delta Green books/short story collections? I am reading about one called Extraordinary Renditions that sounds pretty creepy/cool.

e: typo

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

MrMojok posted:

What was the event that happened in 1969 in Cambodia?

Reading between the lines, a Vietnamese cultist manipulated a Delta Green officer into sending a large group of soldiers on an illegal mission into Cambodia - and into an ambush. The handful of survivors ended up killing the officer in revenge. The massive loss of US lives in a country the US wasn't supposed to be in caused the government to shut down Delta Green.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LatwPIAT posted:

Reading between the lines, a Vietnamese cultist manipulated a Delta Green officer into sending a large group of soldiers on an illegal mission into Cambodia - and into an ambush. The handful of survivors ended up killing the officer in revenge. The massive loss of US lives in a country the US wasn't supposed to be in caused the government to shut down Delta Green.

That's so much more tame than the Flying Polyp vs Helicopter scene on the cover of stuff would have me imagine.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LatwPIAT posted:

He had gone Col. Kurtz with the Tcho Tcho but MACV/Delta Green hadn't caught on enough to send a hit squad to eliminate him. MAJESTIC also pushed things after that to shut down Delta Green in favor of them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

One of Detwiller's blogs has the details on Operation Obsidian. Delta Green went 75 clicks above the Do Lung Bridge about 100 miles southwest of Pleiku into a place called Ban Talat in Cambodia. They encountered something called The Black Buddha, summoned by a double agent friendly- that might be the Colonel or maybe he had someone on the ground. The Black Buddha was apparently banished by Operation Menu, but its cult is still active.

EDIT: Through A Glass, Darkly had some vague flashbacks to Obsidian. Bad craziness, possibly Azathoth or Yog-Sothoth related.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 22, 2018

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Sounds like an awesome pulp-y scenario. Maybe add some shenanigans with a local village with some civilians to keep it from being a straight up monster hunt. A local glassmaker is head of a necromancer cult that is just generally Mythos-y and bumbles into resurrecting the Nazi Lich? Some innocents are imperiled?

E: if you want another angle for folks lost in the woods maybe check out The Ritual?

Yeah I was worried about it being just a Bug Hunt, but I figured since its a one shot for 4 people that would be okay. But I like that, tank rolls into some creepy village, some one in the village is still a die hard Nazi who was left behind as a sleeper agent to awaken the Karotechia zombie cell if and when he got the order from someone, but the temptation to strike out at occupation forces is too great. I think I'll add that in. And I'll have to give The Ritual a watch this week maybe get some more ideas

LatwPIAT posted:

Almost certainly M3s for everyone. It was the standard vehicle crew service arm. They could perhaps also have M1/M2 Carbines, but it's not very likely.

I remembered somewhere that during World War II tank crews were armed with M3s, Thompson's and their service pistol. So I figured by '59 the M3 was still in service so they'd still have that. I figured the commander would have it and everyone else the pistols, but I think the commander and the driver having them is a good mix. The tank would be loaded with paint rounds for the main gun because I think it isn't likely they'd have live ammo for that during a training exercise, but I figure they'll have live ammo for the .50 in the commanders cupola and the .30 co-ax. Figure that'll help them until they get hit by a 14 year old Panzer Faust. I figure half the zombies will still be able to use weapons. I just hope 100 zombies and their leader and one human "cultist" won't be too much

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

KomradeX posted:

I remembered somewhere that during World War II tank crews were armed with M3s, Thompson's and their service pistol. So I figured by '59 the M3 was still in service so they'd still have that. I figured the commander would have it and everyone else the pistols, but I think the commander and the driver having them is a good mix. The tank would be loaded with paint rounds for the main gun because I think it isn't likely they'd have live ammo for that during a training exercise, but I figure they'll have live ammo for the .50 in the commanders cupola and the .30 co-ax. Figure that'll help them until they get hit by a 14 year old Panzer Faust. I figure half the zombies will still be able to use weapons. I just hope 100 zombies and their leader and one human "cultist" won't be too much

Realistically, every man has an M3A1. They're standard equipment of the tank, one per crew position. Then in addition, each tank crewman may have been issued a pistol as a personal weapon. Looking at the M60 in the Veteran Memorial Park in Dixon, Illinois, it seems that the standard load for an M48/60 series tank was 360 rounds of .45 ACP, or 90 per gun. (That's three magazines, which fits in a standard ammo pouch for M3 magazines.)

Of course, if live ammo hasn't been issued for the SMGs, the only recourse the tank crewmen will have is to transfer rounds from their M1911s into that one empty M3 magazine that fell behind the ammo racks that nobody had bothered to fish out yet...

Giving them only one magazine between four submachine guns is a great way to drive home how underequipped they are.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 22, 2018

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

Realistically, every man has an M3A1. They're standard equipment of the tank, one per crew position. Then in addition, each tank crewman may have been issued a pistol as a personal weapon. Looking at the M60 in the Veteran Memorial Park in Dixon, Illinois, it seems that the standard load for an M48/60 series tank was 360 rounds of .45 ACP, or 90 per gun. (That's three magazines, which fits in a standard ammo pouch for M3 magazines.)

Of course, if live ammo hasn't been issued for the SMGs, the only recourse the tank crewmen will have is to transfer rounds from their M1911s into that one empty M3 magazine that fell behind the ammo racks that nobody had bothered to fish out yet...

Giving them only one magazine between four submachine guns is a great way to drive home how underequipped they are.

I was thinking about limiting their ammo but might hold on to that for a dramatically appropriate moment instead just have the sheer number of zombies drive home how out numbered and futile their situation is

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LatwPIAT posted:

More specifically, the US (in real history) invaded Cambodia not long after and though it was planned under the strictest secrecy, the PAVN seemed to already be on guard for an attack. Its possible Delta Green got some of the blame

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If any of you want to hear some of us talk Delta Green, the first of our podcasts is up:

https://greenboxpodcast.blogspot.ca/2018/05/episode-01-double-bill.html

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

More specifically, the US (in real history) invaded Cambodia not long after and though it was planned under the strictest secrecy, the PAVN seemed to already be on guard for an attack. Its possible Delta Green got some of the blame

The Handler's Guide makes it clear that the generals blamed DG and the Pentagon decided it was easier to shutter the program than explain what it was.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think I recall RPPR having an actual play of said disastrous mission years back now

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I think I recall RPPR having an actual play of said disastrous mission years back now

I think that was a fan scenario. I tried to give it a listen but they were in a convention hall and the background noise spoiled the atmosphere.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kavak posted:

I think that was a fan scenario. I tried to give it a listen but they were in a convention hall and the background noise spoiled the atmosphere.

Its been several years since I listened to it but I think it is semi canon since it was supposed to end up in some Vietnam related Cthulhu book that I guess never happened. But yeah it being one of their early episodes and it being in a crowded hall at GenCon I think, gave that terrible audio

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

re: that scenario, Atomic Age Cthulhu has a scenario with the premise of "a tank crew is the party" and might be useful for that purpose.

It has a couple good twists I won't spoil.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

KomradeX posted:

I was thinking about limiting their ammo but might hold on to that for a dramatically appropriate moment instead just have the sheer number of zombies drive home how out numbered and futile their situation is

I do really like this idea and may steal it for myself. There's a ton of fun wrenches you could throw into there for sure-say, they have a full load of main gun ammo but it's all HVAP (i.e. useless for targeting infantry), or they learn the location of an old abandoned US AAA battery from World War II that's still stocked with roughly compatible ammo, but it's all degraded and each round has about a 50/50 chance of actually going off.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If you want to go full gonzo pulp zaniness, have the fail state be Zombie Karotechia Guy summons a giant, monstrous horror from beyond. Fortunately there's one last chance to stop it: An M-28/M-29 Davy Crockett.

Hey, is the Handler's Guide slipcase set going out yet to backers?

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

Man I really want to pick up Fall of Delta Green - any idea when the preorders will ship if I do preoder it?

I need another rpg book to sit on my shelf, never used

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They just posted that the slipcase set is at the warehouse.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Slow delivery is better than no delivery. Looking forward to having that in my hands, along with Fall.

The splats and scenarios that are part of my hardcover pledge I will just try to forget about and they'll be gravy.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

ross the boss posted:

Man I really want to pick up Fall of Delta Green - any idea when the preorders will ship if I do preoder it?

I need another rpg book to sit on my shelf, never used

Probably soon. Kickstarter copies are shipping out now; generally pre-orders are just behind that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KomradeX posted:

I believe it was described in one of the very early short story compilations. Maybr Dark Theaters? Oll have to look

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got my Kickstarter copy of The Fall of Delta Green today. I hadn't looked at it before now and holy poo poo, it's beautiful. Hands down the best art direction and layout I've ever seen in a Gumshoe book.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just a shame it's a Gumshoe book.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Any idea for the Handler's Guide street date? Games of Berkeley said this month, but I imagine all the Kickstarter orders are being filled first.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

Just a shame it's a Gumshoe book.

if I may, what are your issues with GUMSHOE?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Erika gave me permission to convert PATROL's alignments to The Fall of Delta Green. My first attempt is here. I think it's a bit clunky at the moment, so I guess I'm actually passive-aggressively asking for critique?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Anyone know when the Handler's Guide gets to stores?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Kavak posted:

Anyone know when the Handler's Guide gets to stores?

Soon.

LatwPIAT posted:

Erika gave me permission to convert PATROL's alignments to The Fall of Delta Green. My first attempt is here. I think it's a bit clunky at the moment, so I guess I'm actually passive-aggressively asking for critique?

At a glance I really like this, will do a deeper dive soon.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Fall and handler's guide we're at Origins. Ken Hite told me that he named a npc in Fall after me.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
If you haven't seen it yet [url=https://bundleofholding.com/presents/DeltaGreen2]Delta Green is on the Bundle of Holding[/utl]. Seems like a pretty good deal, especially if you don't own any of it yet.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Is fall of delta green available as pdf yet?

Also I got my DG slipcase set and one of the corners has a big dent from shipping :(

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Is fall of delta green available as pdf yet?

Also I got my DG slipcase set and one of the corners has a big dent from shipping :(

Same but it's manageable.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Finally started reading Handler's guide b/c I don't go for electronic as a old.

Love that the obligatory "example of play" blurb ends with an Agent unceremoniously and fangoriously obliterated.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Fall and handler's guide we're at Origins. Ken Hite told me that he named a npc in Fall after me.

Was it a horrible monster?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Been going over my Handler's Guide for the past couple of days. Have barely scratched the surface, but what I've read I love. It's nice to get a good summary of the metaplot/how they've advanced the setting outside of the fiction, and the profiles for all of the major players (both Program and Outlaws) are compelling - they're exactly what you would expect out of people who have been doing this stuff for so long and yet barely maintained their sanity. The guidance is great too, and there's a lot of room within the fluff to run spin-off Delta Greens. For example, if you wanted to capture the feel of 90s-style DG against MAJESTIC, you could always play up the Program vs. Outlaws angle - or you could set it inside Russia where the players are the conspiracy and the enemy is that division of the GRU (which is acting a whole lot like MAJESTIC used to).

Other things - I'm sure they'll bring him back in some capacity, but it's nice to see them have Alzis just drop off the map completely on a whim.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

The guidance is great too, and there's a lot of room within the fluff to run spin-off Delta Greens. For example, if you wanted to capture the feel of 90s-style DG against MAJESTIC, you could always play up the Program vs. Outlaws angle - or you could set it inside Russia where the players are the conspiracy and the enemy is that division of the GRU (which is acting a whole lot like MAJESTIC used to).

Despite the focus on the present, it's also really nice how the history-of-Delta Green passage deals with how to run Delta Green in every thematic period mentioned, going all the way back to the P4 Division. With The Fall of Delta Green it's making me hope for sourcebooks for the other periods too. Give me Darkest Hour, damnit!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

Other things - I'm sure they'll bring him back in some capacity, but it's nice to see them have Alzis just drop off the map completely on a whim.

Alzis died on the way back to his home planet.

I wish they'd used a font or something to distinguish the IRL events from DG events post-2000, and for 2017 focused more on what the Trump administration means for Delta Green. How has Comey's firing and Trump's leader picks affected the federal agencies DG agents populate? What about the State Department? Is anything unnatural more or less of a threat because of the new administration? As it is, it feels more like the writer has an axe to grind.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I haven't gotten to sit down with my book yet, what makes it look like there's a grudge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kavak posted:

Alzis died on the way back to his home planet.

I wish they'd used a font or something to distinguish the IRL events from DG events post-2000, and for 2017 focused more on what the Trump administration means for Delta Green. How has Comey's firing and Trump's leader picks affected the federal agencies DG agents populate? What about the State Department? Is anything unnatural more or less of a threat because of the new administration? As it is, it feels more like the writer has an axe to grind.

In order for them to write about them at length, they would need a fair amount of inside knowledge on how those agencies are reacting. Which, given attitudes towards leaks, is INCREDIBLY hard to come by for people outside of the government, let alone people outside of Washington, DC (none of the major DG writers are inside the DC area, I believe). Morale is down and the State Department is hollowed out relative to its past strength, but anyone that DG is recruiting/has recruited is not going to get caught up in the groundswell of departures.

That being said, the historical attitude for most agencies - and most people that Delta Green would recruit - is that they will outlast whoever's in office.

The real question you should be asking is - How has the Trump Administration affected the public's faith in the federal government? That has a real answer that's easy to source/understand, and that has a real implication on Delta Green's ability to do its job. For example:
  • Flash federal credentials with impunity out in rural areas and the agents will attract an unhealthy level of suspicion and in rare cases outright hostility from local authorities/leaders.
  • A continuously-impoverished rural class leaves them open to influence from outside powers promising a better life, and rural towns next to the ocean are in extreme danger of falling under the sway of Deep Ones (which will make them Priority One targets for the Director).
  • Immigration crackdowns and other international affairs foibles not only make it harder for Delta Green agents abroad to solicit the help of Friendlies, but the focus on the Enemy Without (immigrants causing trouble) is creating a vacuum for the Enemy Within (U.S. citizens engaging in cult activity).