Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think the run of Diablo 1 at SDA this year wiped all my memories of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xh3Y60DM2E&t=476s
Note that the first 10 minutes pretty much involve reloading to get certain items and duping.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 15:45 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hey goons, let me introduce a revolutionary idea for you about Diablo 2. Almost everyone I knew as a child never got past act 2 of nightmare. Them engaging with the online component was even more rare (because modem and ADSL were just becoming things). There was one guy that was the exception, who would move multiple characters to level 70 and obsess about runes, grinding Baal and whatnot online. But he was the only one. Most of you were clearly that guy when you played the game, but his experience was far from how most of us enjoyed the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MiddleOne posted:

Hey goons, let me introduce a revolutionary idea for you about Diablo 2. Almost everyone I knew as a child never got past act 2 of nightmare. Them engaging with the online component was even more rare (because modem and ADSL were just becoming things). There was one guy that was the exception, who would move multiple characters to level 70 and obsess about runes, grinding Baal and whatnot online. But he was the only one. Most of you were clearly that guy when you played the game, but his experience was far from how most of us enjoyed the game.

Everyone in my social circle played D2 online with each other well past act 2 nightmare using their high speed internet, looked up the cookie cutter builds online, and played regularly after school. This would have been from like 05-07 when we graduated and had full time jobs or kids or college.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

what does that have to do with someone complaining about arpg endgames

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

what does that have to do with someone complaining about arpg endgames

It ekes back to the argument that was made earlier, that the endgame wasn't always the goal of ARPG's. It became the thing because the grinders were the ones who kept Diablo 2 and its following contemporaries in the public consciousness.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

It ekes back to the argument that was made earlier, that the endgame wasn't always the goal of ARPG's. It became the thing because the grinders were the ones who kept Diablo 2 and its following contemporaries in the public consciousness.

so arpgs got better at tailoring to people who liked arpgs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’m sure there have been millions of people that have completed the campaigns of D3 or Grim Dawn or PoE and quit too, that’s fine but that’s not what is being discussed here or what ARPG fans expect to do in the endgame. Continuous gear advancement has always been a feature of the genre, your ignorance to it in D2 does not mean it didn’t happen or wasn’t highly influential to everything that came after.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I’m sure that endgame Grim Dawn isn’t the goal for most people because the campaign is already like 20 hours long and Elite/Ultimate are a horrible chore. And they’re adding another expansion too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah as much as I've played it, it wasn't aiming for endgame junk, it was because the story going on is neat enough and the setting is really cool to click monsters in with abilities that feel fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grim Dawn is kind of designed to just wear you down via attrition, I don’t know anyone that has a max level character in that game and I had three maxed out characters in Titan Quest.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Grim Dawn is kind of designed to just wear you down via attrition, I don’t know anyone that has a max level character in that game and I had three maxed out characters in Titan Quest.

Yo.

Grim Dawn end game isn't great and I mostly did it just to do it, grim dawn however is purely better than titan quest. Fite me.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I remember renting Diablo from a video store, installing it on my computer, then handing it back the next day only to realise that I could still play Diablo without the CD. As a 10 year old with no money, this was huge.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Agent355 posted:

Yo.

Grim Dawn end game isn't great and I mostly did it just to do it, grim dawn however is purely better than titan quest. Fite me.

Veteran difficulty is great and I’m perfectly satisfied just with that, it’s long and difficult enough at parts and you do get time to explore with creative builds. And it is definitely better than TQ.

Ultimate is super unforgiving with build variety which would be okay except Elite is easier than Veteran for the most part so it’s just a super snooze fest running past mobs for hours.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm currently re-playing Pillars of Eternity in preparation for the sequel, and drat it's just way too eager when it comes to putting superfluous enemies everywhere. When you're exploring a dungeon, you can expect to find a bunch of rando cultists, slimes, or beetles in just about every room, and it just takes up so much drat time. At this point my criteria for whether I'll try and go further in a given dungeon (particularly the Endless Paths) is not "can I beat these enemies at all?", but rather "can I beat these enemies without having to micromanage much?". The combat system is nice for big, challenging setpiece fights where you have to micromanage and carefully coordinate all your characters' abilities to win. But it really starts to suffer when you have to do that just about every ten seconds.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

MiddleOne posted:

In the last few years I played Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 to the end, having seen my dad replay both bajillions of times, on my way to playing Diablo 3 on PS4.

I beat each of them, one time, and had a bunch of fun in a reasonable amount of time for three video games.

When people crow about balance and issues with bosses after playing the game for literally years I just don’t understand it. You’re done! Play another god drat game! :psyduck:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Futuresight posted:

Diablo 1 was rife with hackers and duping and the online scene was pretty dire. Probably an even bigger proportion of players just played it through like a singleplayer RPG than grinded for gear. I played it a bit online but it didn't really stand up well on that front. D2's closed servers (online only play on bnet servers) were a revelation.

millions of copies of the godly plate of the whale...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I will say that as someone who generally despises endgame grinding, D3's way of doing things ended up appealing to me for two reasons. 1) It's not a totally structureless, aimless power-accumulation loop. While I realize that the loop that is there is ultimately self-serving, being able to mentally map "okay I need to upgrade my Paragon levels and improve some gear to eke out a few more GRift tiers so I can upgrade my legendary gems a little further" is vastly more appealing to me than "grind monsters until a shiny pops out so I can grind monsters until a new shiny pops out faster" just for the sake of it. Seasons also help add some structure to play off of. And so similarly 2) I feel like it's a hell of a lot more accessible and self-paced. Whereas in other games you're kind of at the whim of a linear difficulty progression and tiny incremental improvements, in D3 you can bounce between difficulties easily and fine tune the experience, with enough different activities to keep things from being as repetitive as they could be.

Mind you, that all still eventually breaks down after a certain point, basically right around where it tips over from "progress to GRift 80" to "spend countless hours grinding little stat adjustments to make it to GRift 81". It's hardly a perfect system because monster scaling eventually gets to a point where you have to struggle to get that sliver of extra efficiency. Or dumb luck with a better randomized rift layout. Even with how lightweight and easy to get into it is, I do eventually fall off a character and go do something else for a while instead. I just found it notable because I've always been otherwise repulsed by set-ups like that.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 00:58 on May 27, 2018

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I played Diablo 2 first and I could never play the first one just because of how slowly you walk. I've done the endgame grind exactly once and I never understood the point. There's no content to grind up for. After that I went back to playing D2 the same way I play any MMO. I just play a character until it stops being fun and then start over with a new build until I feel like playing a new game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Blind Sally posted:

millions of copies of the godly plate of the whale...

just lol if you weren't wearing Gnarled Root platemail, two Gnarled Root rings, with a Gnarled Root on your head, and swinging one as a weapon

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wolfenstein: The New Blood is loving badass and fun as hell but occasionally the scripted "wave after wave of loving Nazis" frustrate me. I'd like a little more sniping and stuff like the parts where I sneak around and try to cap the commanders so the alarms don't go off. Sometimes I kind of want to plan my attack a little and survey the area and don't care much for the triggered "Nazi AttacK!" parts.

Also, I have a hard time remembering which weapon is my shotgun and which one is my rifle because of the names. Game also needs a Grenade arc indicator.

Cool loving game though.

I got W:TNB along with New Order. Am I playing them in the correct order or does it matter?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Does New Collosus have ANY levels not located inside a building, or inside a corridor, or inside a ship, or on a tall building so you're on catwalks, etc etc etc. I remember that TNO never felt so loving same-y with the environments, everything kinda feels like identical hallways that have different skins

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Jukebox Hero posted:

Does New Collosus have ANY levels not located inside a building, or inside a corridor, or inside a ship, or on a tall building so you're on catwalks, etc etc etc. I remember that TNO never felt so loving same-y with the environments, everything kinda feels like identical hallways that have different skins

No, that's all it is for the whole game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Blood is loving badass and fun as hell but occasionally the scripted "wave after wave of loving Nazis" frustrate me. I'd like a little more sniping and stuff like the parts where I sneak around and try to cap the commanders so the alarms don't go off. Sometimes I kind of want to plan my attack a little and survey the area and don't care much for the triggered "Nazi AttacK!" parts.

Also, I have a hard time remembering which weapon is my shotgun and which one is my rifle because of the names. Game also needs a Grenade arc indicator.

Cool loving game though.

I got W:TNB along with New Order. Am I playing them in the correct order or does it matter?

Wrong order but t doesn't matter in the slightest since old blood is a prequel

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls Remastered: The Bed of Chaos hasn't been changed at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dark Souls Remastered: The Bed of Chaos hasn't been changed at all.

Its a remaster not a remake or reboot or reimagining. Youre paying for blighttown being unfucked and a semi-functional co-op System.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

Its a remaster not a remake or reboot or reimagining. Youre paying for blighttown being unfucked and a semi-functional co-op System.
It's very bad.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
dark souls remastered is gonna run at 30 fps on the switch, which is annoying as it's literally a game from 2011 but with DSFix and better lighting, yet Bayonetta 2 runs at a smooth 60 fps.

also c'mon, they shoulda at least put some effort into making bed of chaos not poo poo to fight

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DS Remastered is in a bad spot whatever they did really, nothing changed, people mad, things changed, people mad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's very bad.

Absolutely. It's just not much of a bait and switch, Fromsoft delivered on exactly what they said they would; a lovely remaster.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yardbomb posted:

DS Remastered is in a bad spot whatever they did really, nothing changed, people mad, things changed, people mad.

i mean, i didnt expect the game to be "dark souls but completely different and/or much more added to it", but i was hoping for them to fix things like magnetic backstabs and bed of chaos. its nice they at least added in the "use multiple souls from inventory" mechanic thats in the other two games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

im' glad everyone has to suffer the bed of chaos

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

im' glad everyone has to suffer the bed of chaos

They should have gone for "fixed an issue where the bed of chaos failed to completely reset when the player dies" :unsmigghh:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's to fix with the bed of chaos? It sucks, but short of completely changing the boss design there's nothing they could've done. You have to smash the things to progress the fight, ultimately finding the powerless dude behind the curtain. If they programmed in a new boss with a proper fight instead of what's there it wouldn't be bed of chaos anymore.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
They could make the drop nonlethal, instead landing you in a poison swamp with a bunch of Chaos Eaters. This would be something you can work to overcome, and if you clear them out, every next drop will be far easier to handle (annoying, but no comparison to dying and having to trudge through all that lava again). It still wouldn't be trivial because the Bed DOES have attacks besides "lol gravity"; it can smash you while you're on top, and can creat fire columns everywhere in the room, even in the potential downstairs. If that's slow-roll swamp, you'd have a hard time dodging it. Or not, because you could be smart/resourceful and use the Rusted Iron Ring.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's too late. They made their Bed of Chaos, now they gotta die in it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ilmucche posted:

What's to fix with the bed of chaos? It sucks, but short of completely changing the boss design there's nothing they could've done. You have to smash the things to progress the fight, ultimately finding the powerless dude behind the curtain. If they programmed in a new boss with a proper fight instead of what's there it wouldn't be bed of chaos anymore.

If the player could defeat it by sliding through booster arrows on the way down, resulting in you being launched as a missile directly into its heart and killing it instantly, that would be good

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Barudak posted:

Absolutely. It's just not much of a bait and switch, Fromsoft delivered on exactly what they said they would; a lovely remaster.

It's fun because this is exactly what happened with the PC release, too. They explicitly said they didn't know what they were doing, that it was their first ever PC port and that they were only doing it because of high fan demand. We got the PC port we so badly wanted. Que endless screaming about how it's "literally unplayable" despite many people beating it within like a day of release just fine. The remaster is dumb or whatever, and it sucks they took the cheaper original version off the steam market. But game nerds are still the most insufferable lot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Firewatch, the control feels wonky. Not a game breaker but occurring often enough to be a persistent nuisance

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wrong order but t doesn't matter in the slightest since old blood is a prequel

Thanks. loving game ruled.

I like it more than Doom4 since it seemed to have a little more strategy and a LOT more story (which was great). Only thing I'd like is a grenade trajectory indicator, weapon descriptions, a tad less trial and error plus a clear idea of where I'm at checkpoint wise.

About to fire up W:TNO and is it OK to bitch about SYSTEMS dragging games down?

Because, gently caress, it seems like it should be. The XB1 interface is a god drat nightmare to navigate. A lot of times, I'll insert a new game or a movie and have to re-boot to do anything. Then I have to sit through a system update (which I don't want). Then an install, then a game update, because god for-loving-bid you play test the loving thing before release.

Then it seems there's all these loving things that PC gamers deal with that seem totally unacceptable. I don't play games on my computer and, reading a lot of posts here and elsewhere, I'm really glad I don't. Holy poo poo.

When a game launches and half of it is broken all over the place, the online forums blow up with poo poo like "did you go into your settings and disable "ACTIVE-sUx", download the new "WTFdrivers", set the display to "CAN-i-PLS-C-game", tweak the frame rate to "AND-a-MATE", log out of your account and log back in under your alternate, offline account to get the user vs. PvP plugin, map the keyboard to "MAKESENSE - get INTUIT" and check the specs on your "FU-4GRX-2WRK" card?

"My controller doesn't work!" "The game keeps freezing!" "Blue screen!" "Frame rate!" "Hot keys! are broken!"

It seems like to me that you have to gently caress with games forever and you're gonna spend a day or a week just getting the mother fucker to run at all, let alone be any fun, which always seems like there's a hundred user mods you have to download to make the damned thing enjoyable or playable at all and half of them conflict with some other poo poo you had to update just to get it up and running and winds up loving up the frame rate or textures or some poo poo.

*waits for a patch that will need a patch to fix some other poo poo that the patch hosed up which will soon be patched and will require re-patching when we 'upgrade' our OS*

That would drive me insane. Assuming I'm not already.

Sorry for the meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey pal in case you haven’t noticed your immediate surroundings you’re actually in line at a McDonald’s drive through and should be prepared to give your order posthaste