Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011
I had tremendous "prep for 7*" luck with my pulls this morning. My 5* EX was Dark Veritas #2, then 25 tickets on the Cloud banner got me Frye #2 and Elfreeda #4. I read her STMR is a 50% TDH materia, so now I feel better about pulling 4 Elfs and 0 Clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Got cloud #2 on half price. 5* gave me ramza #3. How's his stmr?

quote:

Super Trust Reward = エスカッション(FFT) [Light Shield]
+60 DEF, +60 SPR, +15% HP, +20% All Elemental Resist

A straight upgrade to the hero's shield for tanks.

5* ticket gave me rem #2, so now set for a 7* healer in the future. wonder if gumi will continue the trend of giving her slight tweaks in global, at least just a minor buff to her dagger boomerang skill.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I forgot the guy I pulled with my 5* ticket even existed. What’s a Jiraiya? Apparently Chizuru’s husband.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

KDdidit posted:

I forgot the guy I pulled with my 5* ticket even existed. What’s a Jiraiya? Apparently Chizuru’s husband.

The worst dad

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

KDdidit posted:

On the plus side we're getting to the point where there's enough decent ATK +% materia that it's feasible to have someone DW Katanas.

On the down side, almost everyone that's ATK oriented wants to wield two different types of weapons from their innate buff.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Seriously though now that I can feasibly kit up for some strong TDH shenanigans, I’m gonna need more of these TM moogles from the raid.

I’ve already pulled a 10% and a 5% moogle but only three Buster Style guys. Hurry up with the moogs thx.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well I was going to say that maybe seph might want to dual wield an ice katana with his own if you are using a Fry at that point but then I remember she might end up being a single wielding W/T casting unit so her extra Needle could go to him without any problems.

Katanas are weird. Swords are usually the hybrid weapon and then they started to add a tiny bit of magic on some katanas and gave a dual wield katana materia with attack/mag. The raw mag decrease from using those katanas just isn't worth it over a sorcery or needle.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Seriously though now that I can feasibly kit up for some strong TDH shenanigans, I’m gonna need more of these TM moogles from the raid.

I’ve already pulled a 10% and a 5% moogle but only three Buster Style guys. Hurry up with the moogs thx.

The rates for moogles are incredibly bad. I wish they were twice as common.

Tengames posted:

A straight upgrade to the hero's shield for tanks.

5* ticket gave me rem #2, so now set for a 7* healer in the future. wonder if gumi will continue the trend of giving her slight tweaks in global, at least just a minor buff to her dagger boomerang skill.
If they give her boomerang a passive boost on her lvl 101 trait then she'd already be better than her jp counterpart. If they have it also scale from SPR then she'd loving insane.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 28, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Katanas are weird. Swords are usually the hybrid weapon and then they started to add a tiny bit of magic on some katanas and gave a dual wield katana materia with attack/mag. The raw mag decrease from using those katanas just isn't worth it over a sorcery or needle.

It looks to me like they were/are trying to course correct for the ninja characters with the newer katana. The (main) problem with all the ninja is that they are hybrids and therefore tough to gear up, right?

Katana are a samurai's weapon, not a ninja's, but these are fantasy ninja, and fantasy ninja have katana because anime reasons?

If katana are made too strong, people who'll just slap them on their non-ninja characters, for similar anime reasons. The ninja won't catch up that way, the power gap will be wider.

Much easier to fix the ninja than the katana, honestly. Maybe give ninja +MAG passives, make them more like Fryevia.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

It's just one of those things they seem to be doing, check Noctis or Lasswell katana passives for example, they both boost ATK and MAG. There are probably more examples but those two immediately came to my mind, FFBE has katanas associated with both stats for a while now.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Since I pulled Noctis #2 I wanted to get Sheratan down since I can finally make 100% evade units. Im struggling and not sure what Im doing wrong.

I've tried Using Noctis and fish provoke, but I switched over to using T. Terra, Chow, and CG Jake - I can get chow and jake to 100% decreased chance of being targeted.

Everything goes fine until I get to phase 2, but 3 or 4 rounds in T Terra gets popped for like 16k and goes down. I think its one of the seeds but Im not sure.

She equipped with
Base evade - 30%
2x ring of lucci - 50%
true spirit of freedom - 15%
Turbulent evasion - 5%
Should be 100%

Shes paralyze immune as well - I made that mistake on try #1

Looking at the wiki for the fight, she should only be getting hit with 'bite into' at fixed 4500 damage, so what gives?

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness
Stuck my name in the sheet. I can carry a fair number of trials if anyone ever needs help.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

hagie posted:

My 5* was Balthier. Not sure how I feel about that exactly.

Same except I already had two Balthiers, so I can tell you how I feel,

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I managed to get exactly what I was hoping for, so my boy Tidus will be 7* #3.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dug fin posted:

Stuck my name in the sheet. I can carry a fair number of trials if anyone ever needs help.

Not seeing you...

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I got Eiko :what:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Acelerion posted:

Since I pulled Noctis #2 I wanted to get Sheratan down since I can finally make 100% evade units. Im struggling and not sure what Im doing wrong.

I've tried Using Noctis and fish provoke, but I switched over to using T. Terra, Chow, and CG Jake - I can get chow and jake to 100% decreased chance of being targeted.

Everything goes fine until I get to phase 2, but 3 or 4 rounds in T Terra gets popped for like 16k and goes down. I think its one of the seeds but Im not sure.

She equipped with
Base evade - 30%
2x ring of lucci - 50%
true spirit of freedom - 15%
Turbulent evasion - 5%
Should be 100%

Shes paralyze immune as well - I made that mistake on try #1

Looking at the wiki for the fight, she should only be getting hit with 'bite into' at fixed 4500 damage, so what gives?

I think you have too much evasion spread around.

You really need 1 physical evasion AOE cover/provoke tank, then some hardcore Damage per round units to take out the fruit. WoL, Basche are 2 that come to mind. Chow would be good for AoE Magic tanking (obviously)

I think I used something like

WoL (100% physical cover)
Chow(AoE cover for Earth magic casting)
Illusionist Nichol (break & refresh LB)
Emperor (fire damage builder)
Soleil (buffed & maintained breaks after round 1 or 2)

Onion Knight (cryst farmer)
Ace (refresh)
Ayaka (big heals/quick refresh)
Bran (backup refresh)
Barbariccia (AoE for fruit)

I could have put something else for Bran because I never used him, and I don’t think I used Ace either...

Looking back at it I didn’t do the Esper kill, nor the earth/dark so I may be just talking out my rear end.

But I would consolidate your evasion to a singular unit with a provoke. Noctis isn’t a terrible choice but you have to remember that his fish is 1-2 turns. WoL is 1-3 (both depend on enhancements)

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I just did it normal style instead of trying a 2 or 3 unit cheese strategy.

Im still not sure why it wouldent work as it seemed like Seed of Anger was landing a hit on a 100% evade unit - obviously not but I couldent tell what was happening through all the spam.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I should probably save my 5* EX, but I dont belive theres any if much benefits to that correct?

I forgot i never used my 1st one, but Ill just use one for now.

5* Balthier #2

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Shoenin posted:

I should probably save my 5* EX, but I dont belive theres any if much benefits to that correct?

I'm saving mine until 7*, or more precisely we get our first UoC ticket. There's not really a benefit to do that other than letting the summon pool get bigger, but I'm not hurting for new units and this is why I've saved up a 100% moogle so I can knock out a dupe TMR right away if I pull someone like DV.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Shoenin posted:

I forgot i never used my 1st one, but Ill just use one for now.

5* Balthier #2

I am saving mine for when the pool contains a time-limited unit. Sure, the chances are low, but they CAN pay off. (My last 5* EX got me Demon Rain)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I was just about to ask about those kinds of tickets. Is there any benefit to saving the 10+1 either besides waiting for the talent pool to open up further?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Policenaut posted:

I was just about to ask about those kinds of tickets. Is there any benefit to saving the 10+1 either besides waiting for the talent pool to open up further?

The benefits are pretty tiny just because there’s never any rate up attached. So if you want a specific unit the odds are heavily stacked against you. Time limited units or “I just don’t need anything right now” are the best reasons to save 11/5* tickets. Time limited just because any chance is better than an otherwise 0% chance. And waiting for more things to be in the pool reduces the odds of getting any one unit, but because power creep exists and the nature of this game, the longer you wait the better units will be in the pool.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They’ve added a way to get blank moogles as well as limited time 7* awakening mats for people that whiffed on getting a second base 5 from their banner. It’s tied to the mixer system they announced last month and the rates are horrible. Trading a base 5* with full tmr gets you 500 coins. You need 10000 coins to get a blank moogle

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They’ve added a way to get blank moogles as well as limited time 7* awakening mats for people that whiffed on getting a second base 5 from their banner. It’s tied to the mixer system they announced last month and the rates are horrible. Trading a base 5* with full tmr gets you 500 coins. You need 10000 coins to get a blank moogle

:negative:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Whales only...

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
How do I get 3* Shiva to stop blowing up 3/4 of my team on turn 1? I'm obviously missing some way to mitigate the damage, but I can't seem to figure out how.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Voodoo posted:

How do I get 3* Shiva to stop blowing up 3/4 of my team on turn 1? I'm obviously missing some way to mitigate the damage, but I can't seem to figure out how.

Turn 1 and then every third turn she uses an aoe physical attack you need an phys aoe tank.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Whales only...

Tm grinding a full party of 4* units gives 1000 coins, which wouldnt be a big deal in global for anyone with 100+ max nrg

Having it only be recent time limiteds really sucks though

Edit: when it says no raid units does it just mean units from a raid summon like y’shtola or does it include units like firion who had moogles for him show up in a raid summon? If just the former thats some free coins right there

Tengames fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 29, 2018

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Another point to consider is that this is the opening lineup, it will change in three months. It’s probably bad on purpose to cater to the whales. They like being made to feel superior to everyone else so they’ll keep spending money. Hopefully after three months it gets a nerf to dolphin/minnow status.

Yeah right...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It's been 3 months now since they introduced the megawhale pvp competitions and they still haven't nerfed the ranking needed to get blanks or uoc tickets.

Grinding a full party of 4 stars from 0 to 100% is still a lot of lapis and then you have to do that 5 times for a UoC or 10 for a blank.

It's dumb because getting a UoC ticket to get the 5* unit for the tmr is easier than the blank. The blank would only be useful for limited units you never pulled in the first place and you got a TMR moogles from their raid

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 29, 2018

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Khisanth Magus posted:

Turn 1 and then every third turn she uses an aoe physical attack you need an phys aoe tank.
Duh that was it. Had Willhelm as the tank and it just wasn’t clicking. Swapped in WoL and it was an easy clear.

Thanks!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

When things in JP don't get nerfed you know in Global we're just going to get proper hosed.

If anything they're going to tack on an extra couple months to any future nerfs because Global is a different game.

I will say that I'm not terrible unhappy with those returns, being able to change 50 100% blues into a rainbow is at least a use of all these garbage units I'm sitting on. It's not great, but at least it's something to do with those units rather than them just sitting in my pool.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Well, least I can throw all these Thancreds in the woodchipper

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So I thought I was finally good to take down Shiva, and about halfway through everyone died to her ice attack. Was that just bad luck from my magic cover tank? I had Chow reapplying Spiritual Defender each round, and it looks like he just...didn't cover it that time. Did I screw up, or was it bad RNG? Rest of team is WoL (100% dodge), TGC, DV, Ayaka.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

AoE cover has the proc chance is checked for each ally. Since Chow has a 1/4 chance of not covering ^ # of non-Chow allies (4 in your case) Chow has a 1/256 chance of his AoE magic cover not proc'cing per turn. It might've just been that 1/256 that wiped you.

Cover mechanics:

quote:

Cover targetting (ST/AoE) refers to the target allies protected, either single or all allies, and will work regardless of the target of the enemy attacks. If a unit uses AoE cover and an enemy uses an AoE attack, the chance for cover will be counted per unit, dramatically increasing the chance for it to proc. e.g. a 50% chance to cover against attacks to full party of 6 units will in effect gives it 96.87% chance to proc (5 units are counted, excluding the coverer).

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So I thought I was finally good to take down Shiva, and about halfway through everyone died to her ice attack. Was that just bad luck from my magic cover tank? I had Chow reapplying Spiritual Defender each round, and it looks like he just...didn't cover it that time. Did I screw up, or was it bad RNG? Rest of team is WoL (100% dodge), TGC, DV, Ayaka.

The 'diamond dust' she uses is a huge ice imperil. Did she wipe chow and then get the rest with follow up casts? Need to dispel it if you are not already.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I didn't realize the cover mechanics worked that way.

I was trying to use chow to cover 2 others, so 1/16 chance of missing. Maybe that was my problem.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Acelerion posted:

The 'diamond dust' she uses is a huge ice imperil. Did she wipe chow and then get the rest with follow up casts? Need to dispel it if you are not already.

Nah, I'm running chow with 250% ice resist, and he survived the magic attack. I'm guessing it was just really bad luck from cover not proccing.

Edit: figured it out. Shiva is casting shooting hail (so WoL cover procs), and then blizzaja afterwards which kills everyone. The one thing I don't get is how I'm triggering this, as according to the wiki this doesn't fit her pattern. It just happened on turn 3, no thresholds hit. What the hell.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 29, 2018

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
That was happening to me too, so I ended up just replacing Chow with Marie (Minfilia would work too) and using Barblizzaga with everyone with 30% ice resist. Then I just used Bushido Freedom with my healer on Diamond Dust turns and recast Barblizzaga and had no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Nephrite posted:

That was happening to me too, so I ended up just replacing Chow with Marie (Minfilia would work too) and using Barblizzaga with everyone with 30% ice resist. Then I just used Bushido Freedom with my healer on Diamond Dust turns and recast Barblizzaga and had no issues.

Thanks for this, swapped in Marie (and 2 emperors for fire dps) and finally got it cleared with all missions.

• Locked thread