Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

https://twitter.com/john_mcguirk/status/964522155680595968

For context this prick was leader of the No campaign in the recent irish referendum on whether to allow abortion in certain circumstances. The specific context of this tweet was him gloating that the pro-choice campaign didn't have the funds to produce a lot of printed materials at that point, unlike his side, who had been collecting dodgy money for years from U.S. conservatives.

His recent twitter feed is a loving goldmine of schadenfreude

(For anyone who hasn't already heard, his campaign lost spectacularly - 66% to 33%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:sever:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It's far too late to abort John McGuirk.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Somfin posted:

Yes, but astrologers think we're here for a special reason, therefore everything in the entire loving universe must have been put here for our special reasons because we are that loving special.
To be fair, that's not a unique feature of astrologers. The idea that we're not here for any particular purpose is probably the minority belief.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pookah posted:

(For anyone who hasn't already heard, his campaign lost spectacularly - 66% to 33%)

I can only assume that the extreme Irish xenophobia caused them to consider native women committing baby murder to be the lesser evil when compared to taking orders from a foreign papacy.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Pookah posted:

I ended up looking this up because YES/NO alone still wasn't very useful without context (is Yes pro abortion of anti?).

The fun part is that when the Irish were voting on the original 8th amendment in 1983, the votes were 66.9% Pro, 33.1 Con. The current ratio for the 36th amendment, repealing the constitutional ban on abortions is almost exactly the same: 66.4 Pro and 33.6 Con.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fishstick posted:

I ended up looking this up because YES/NO alone still wasn't very useful without context (is Yes pro abortion of anti?).

The fun part is that when the Irish were voting on the original 8th amendment in 1983, the votes were 66.9% Pro, 33.1 Con. The current ratio for the 36th amendment, repealing the constitutional ban on abortions is almost exactly the same: 66.4 Pro and 33.6 Con.

Sorry should have been clearer
Yes= Repeal the constitutional amendment (AKA the 8th) which made abortion illegal in virtually all circumstances, and which also meant that a foetus was legally the equal of the woman it was inside.
No= Keep the status quo, and continue to pretend that 4500 women don't travel to the UK for abortions every year, or order pills off the internet to take at home.

It's been front and centre of public affairs here for the last few months so I forget that not everyone is aware of what's going on over here :)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

So my mom's still a devout believer of the Black Hebrew Israelite teachings- I'm not because A: Not too religious in general B: People shouting on a street corner isn't my prefered way to receive information C: Like her, they can't research poo poo before passing it along so this was a point made in one of the videos she was watching. And I also heard him saying 'gook' too so they've already solidified my opposition to them on basic respect reasons. D: They're basically just hanging around on the street berating passersby on not knowing the Bible. Which doesn't really appeal to me at all. I don't get why it would to other people, tbh. E: less compelling but the fact that they label their videos like clickbait anti-feminists do just soured me on them to begin with.

So I sent her that link of dril tweets

https://twitter.com/chIoroplast/status/1000199890205593601?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And got this in response

Wow, um. What is it about religion that kills people's sense of humor? That was a joke, and you got a tirade.

E:sorry if that came off rude, she is your mom. My mom used to be hyper religious, too, and also had no sense of humor about things, so yeah.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 16:43 on May 28, 2018

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I made the mistake of posting something negative about God King Musk on a Facebook article. Dear god his supporters are rabid. Nothing worthy of posting in here, just a poo poo load of crap responses. They seem to take it as a personal insult (which is weird since a bunch of them have called me a snowflake).

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Roblo posted:

I made the mistake of posting something negative about God King Musk on a Facebook article. Dear god his supporters are rabid. Nothing worthy of posting in here, just a poo poo load of crap responses. They seem to take it as a personal insult (which is weird since a bunch of them have called me a snowflake).

One cool internet trick: summon hundreds of white men by the mere suggestion that Elon Musk or Jordan Peterson are bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

Wow, um. What is it about religion that kills people's sense of humor? That was a joke, and you got a tirade.

Well it's because I don't believe in the cause maaaan. I'm not supporting the Truth. We were the Kings of Egypt once upon a time. We're not actually black, that's a falsehood that the white man has perpetrated for- who the gently caress knows- millennia?

I'm not surprised since she's been believing in bullshit for a while now. Chemtrails are real, I'm pretty sure she's convinced that Jews run the world, HAARP, that Taco Bell Illuminati commercial bugged her, Anchor Babies, if you call a trans person by the wrong pronoun you'll be arrested- and I loving told her that you have to be medically qualified and deliberately misgendering people for that to happen and she's still peddling that bullshit again, I looked it up and everything!- Just a bunch of dumb poo poo. Oh yeah, and Black Panther is propaganda since it makes people think they're from Africa and Wakanda Forever became a meme.

excuse my rant. And don't worry, I needed to vent, and you didn't really say anything rude. Most people on here are always making a 'hosed your mom' joke anyway so whatevs.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Wait hold the gently caress on. It's egotistical to think the planets and stars don't exist to affect us in any meaningful way?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

Well it's because I don't believe in the cause maaaan. I'm not supporting the Truth. We were the Kings of Egypt once upon a time. We're not actually black, that's a falsehood that the white man has perpetrated for- who the gently caress knows- millennia?

I'm not surprised since she's been believing in bullshit for a while now. Chemtrails are real, I'm pretty sure she's convinced that Jews run the world, HAARP, that Taco Bell Illuminati commercial bugged her, Anchor Babies, if you call a trans person by the wrong pronoun you'll be arrested- and I loving told her that you have to be medically qualified and deliberately misgendering people for that to happen and she's still peddling that bullshit again, I looked it up and everything!- Just a bunch of dumb poo poo. Oh yeah, and Black Panther is propaganda since it makes people think they're from Africa and Wakanda Forever became a meme.

excuse my rant. And don't worry, I needed to vent, and you didn't really say anything rude. Most people on here are always making a 'hosed your mom' joke anyway so whatevs.

:yikes:

Wait, you're "not actually black", it's a lie? Wh- what are you, then?? How do you lie about something you can see??

Grimdude posted:

Wait hold the gently caress on. It's egotistical to think the planets and stars don't exist to affect us in any meaningful way?

I THINK they mean it's egotistical to think that we are the one water on the planet that the planet and stars don't affect?

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 16:59 on May 28, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Well the tides in my fish tank are so extreme sometimes it's crazy. Also on full moons the water almost seems to float right out of my glass.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Grimdude posted:

I can see the logic, in the sense of "these are unfathomably huge objects that you assume can't affect you despite being huge and awesome." Though his statement is actually that they have "meaning," which... like, Chinese opera has meaning, too, but it doesn't have any effect on me or my personality.

Either way, it's not a great support of his underlying belief that celestial bodies affect us in the specific ways prescribed by Western astrology, but if actual reason and logic entered into it, dude wouldn't be into astrology in the first place.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

i am the bird posted:

One cool internet trick: summon hundreds of white men by the mere suggestion that any rich guy is bad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Midnight Voyager posted:

I THINK they mean it's egotistical to think that we are the one water on the planet that the planet and stars don't affect?

And, for the record for anyone who's reading this and going 'hey, actually wait a minute here': The water in our bodies does get affected by the gravitational force of the moon, of course it does. But because that water is in our bodies, the gravitational force of our body is enormously more influential on that water than the moon is.

I just through it was worth saying here because it never actually occurred to me until I heard a podcast mention it specifically to debunk stuff like this.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Monkeytime posted:

"I have a meme page with over 14k likes"

If a band named "Satyricon" objects to having dildos thrown at them, I start to suspect that they haven't read the work they're named after.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

:yikes:

Wait, you're "not actually black", it's a lie? Wh- what are you, then?? How do you lie about something you can see??

Simple! We're not Black= African] We're Israealites=God's Chosen People.

I'm pretty sure the Jews stole our history from us but I'm not sure I don't listen to this crap. If you really want to get it from source then here you go. There?

Man, it feels great to be able to vent about this stuff.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So the Jews were the Kings of Egypt, which is not in Africa? :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh yeah, and Black Panther is propaganda since it makes people think they're from Africa

So
  1. Black people aren't actually black.
  2. Black people (who aren't actually black) ruled Egypt.
  3. Egypt... is not in Africa?
Am I understanding this right?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Many of the rulers of Egypt would be identified as Black today (were identified as Nubian/Kushite at the time). That part's true.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

His username is more cringeworthy than the tweet

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

So

I think black people are black but these specific black people that include their mom are actually Israelites.

I've heard the phrase "Black Hebrew Israelite" before, but I was thinking Beta Israel, not whatever the gently caress this is.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Tiggum posted:

So

If I understand correctly:

* Egypt is considered separate from sub-Saharan and Western Africa.
* Before the Muslim conquest, Egypt was ruled by black people.
* Black people in the US are ethnically descended from the black rulers of Egypt, not the people of sub-Saharan or Western Africa.
* Tied into this is the idea of the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel, which somehow became the black rulers of Egypt despite having been forcibly moved northeast from Samaria by the Assyrians.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cleretic posted:

And, for the record for anyone who's reading this and going 'hey, actually wait a minute here': The water in our bodies does get affected by the gravitational force of the moon, of course it does. But because that water is in our bodies, the gravitational force of our body is enormously more influential on that water than the moon is.

I just through it was worth saying here because it never actually occurred to me until I heard a podcast mention it specifically to debunk stuff like this.

Additionally: there's nothing special about water. All the matter on earth and in our bodies etc, water or otherwise, will be affected by gravity.

This guy seems to imply that there's some sort of special water-moon relationship that causes the tides apart from it being a huge body of fluid with a close celestial object orbiting around it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Water is weak to Moon

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Cleretic posted:

I am not happy with that statement. The most influential thing gravity-wise towards our body-water is the earth.

Source: Sweat runs down on my body.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Monkeytime posted:

"I have a meme page with over 14k likes"

She shoud throw a dildo at him to for listening to Satyricon.

joylessdivision has a new favorite as of 20:21 on May 28, 2018

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm going to have to see gravity's privacy policy before I make a decision on this.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Do you have the source about the misgendering thing because my brother insists that JP "could be brought up in front of a human rights tribunal and made to pay a fine, if he refuses he could be held in contempt and jailed".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

timefly posted:

Do you have the source about the misgendering thing because my brother insists that JP "could be brought up in front of a human rights tribunal and made to pay a fine, if he refuses he could be held in contempt and jailed".

The Human Rights Commissions are a Canadian thing. It's essentially an agency of higher appeal when dealing with issues of discrimination.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I can't not share this:

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

The Human Rights Commissions are a Canadian thing. It's essentially an agency of higher appeal when dealing with issues of discrimination.

But what is the law, he says it's unique in how it compels you to use certain words or you can be prosecuted? Or maybe not everyone but maybe JP qualifies? I don't know, I looked it up the first time he mentioned it and it was obvious it wasnt likely to ever be applied but I don't remember now

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

timefly posted:

I'm guessing JP is Jordan Peterson but I don't really know to be honest. Anyway, here's the thing I'm referring to with specific quotes to what I was hazily remembering.

http://www.politifact.com/california/article/2017/sep/26/claims-mislead-about-california-bill-forcing-jail-/

quote:

"Since the LGBT Senior Bill of Rights was introduced, the Religious Right (the same folks who oppose all LGBT civil rights bills) have attempted multiple lines of attack against the bill. Their first attempts were to go after trans people using the North Carolina ‘trans people will rape you in the bathroom’ absurd argument," Wiener wrote in a September press release.

"After these specious attacks floundered, these opponents of LGBT civil rights came up with a new argument: that if you use the wrong pronoun you'll be criminally prosecuted and jailed," he continued. "This is a ridiculous and misleading argument that uses fear and distortion of facts as a shield to attack LGBT rights."

We decided to examine this controversial claim about jail time for using the wrong pronoun given its persistent nature and Wiener’s strong rebuttal. We won’t rate it on our Truth-O-Meter because the claims come from disparate sources, not a single individual. But we will separate fact from fiction as much as possible.

quote:

Our research

We found groups such as Breitbart and Fox News crammed misleading information into short news headlines, greatly distorting the facts about the use of pronouns or leaving out key information that would have given a different impression.

But we also found an element of truth: Violations of the bill could, under limited circumstances, be treated as a misdemeanor with punishment of up to one year in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.

Courtney Joslin, a UC Davis law professor, said the bar for criminal prosecution would be extremely high.

"The bill is very, very clear that what is prohibited is the willful engagement and repeated engagement in discriminatory conduct against LGBT seniors. So, if someone makes a mistake or doesn’t know what a person’s gender identity is and uses the incorrect pronoun that is not a violation of the statute," Joslin said.

Willful and repeated violations alone wouldn’t lead to criminal prosecution, Joslin added. They would likely be punished with a fine.

Criminal charges would only follow, she said, if the violation reached a level that was shown to cause the risk of death or serious physical harm, in accordance with state’s existing penalty structure for health and safety code violations at long-term care centers.

Wiener has said purposefully using the wrong pronoun would be treated the same way as someone who violates a center’s smoking ban. It would be considered a minor violation but "no one is going to jail for that."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol weiner

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ularg posted:

I can't not share this:

I'm the weird inversion of "ea" everywhere it appaers

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I'm guessing JP is Jordan Peterson but I don't really know to be honest. Anyway, here's the thing I'm referring to with specific quotes to what I was hazily remembering.

http://www.politifact.com/california/article/2017/sep/26/claims-mislead-about-california-bill-forcing-jail-/

The tribunal stuff is true in Ontario, Canada if JP kept doing it willingly. And by God I hope he does go to jail over it just to see that smirk get wiped off his face. gently caress himmmmmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Please change my name to "Home of Sexuals" tia

https://twitter.com/chillingseymour/status/1000993886553165824?s=19