Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

There's probably a Chinese comic that sold more than X-Men 1, I know there's genre books from China that have outsold the Bible.

Jim Lee has drawn more than just X-Men #1. And the tweet says "best super hero artist in the world" not chinese genre book or the bible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

There's probably a Chinese comic that sold more than X-Men 1, I know there's genre books from China that have outsold the Bible.
This derail is dumb and you are a bad man for starting it.

Please give us your interpretation of a Jim Lee as penance. Do not submit a poop.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Did it outsell Liefelds Bible book though?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Don't be stupid.

Nothing could touch those numbers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of Tom King, he recently tweeted a picture of himself writing with a cast of his hand, and it read something like "The life of a freelancer."
He didn't elaborate, but he might not have reupped on the exclusivity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

Please give us your interpretation of a Jim Lee as penance.

Sure thing

FilthyImp posted:

Do not submit a poop.

Never mind.

I actually like a lot of Jim Lee's stuff, I just said that he wouldn't be in my list of top five artists, and that quantity of comics sold doesn't mean quality of art.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of Tom King, he recently tweeted a picture of himself writing with a cast of his hand, and it read something like "The life of a freelancer."
He didn't elaborate, but he might not have reupped on the exclusivity.
Creators with exclusive contracts are still freelancers. They're just freelancing for one company(ish).

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is Batman War Games worth picking up for $12 in this Comixology sale?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dunbar posted:

*dives at you like an action movie* NOOOOOOOOOOO

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dunbar posted:

Lmao yeah that's $11 bucks too much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Heh you SJWs want a girl Robin? Sure we'll give you a girl Robin! Here she is, loving everything up!" - A thing that didn't actually happen but sure reads that way

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pubic works project posted:

Lmao yeah that's $11 bucks too much.
You're nuts, $1 for War Games is still $26 too high.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

I get that it's just a writer loving with his boss, but if I made a top five Jim Lee probably wouldn't be in it.

Not even in the Top 50 for me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/1000435049085288448

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dunbar posted:

It is not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

War Games is garbage. This is not a controversial opinion at all. If they were to offer to pay you to read War Games you might need to question it, but not the other way around.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
War Games is extra noteworthy because it was followed up by the mini-event War Crimes, designed to 'fix' people's complaints about War Games and somehow was even more poorly received.

The "somehow" was mostly that it was published by DC in the 2000s but still.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Madkal posted:

the Bible already has a Gideon variant

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

War Games is extra noteworthy because it was followed up by the mini-event War Crimes, designed to 'fix' people's complaints about War Games and somehow was even more poorly received.

The "somehow" was mostly that it was published by DC in the 2000s but still.

There idea of fixing War Games with War Crimes was to do another character assassination to fix the first character assassination. Generally people stop digging when they are in a hole

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone dropped off a poster advertising Catwoman’s 1993 series at my comic shop. It came out in July, so this new series will be almost exactly 25 years after the purple bodysuit series debut.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Someone dropped off a poster advertising Catwoman’s 1993 series at my comic shop. It came out in July, so this new series will be almost exactly 25 years after the purple bodysuit series debut.

The cover of #1 ad right? When I cleaned out the store's storage unit 5 years ago I found thousands of unused posters and promo stuff dating back to 1992. The old boss hated taping poo poo in the windows so he just hoarded it in Diamond boxes.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Black Mask was overrated.

I don't know why they had a sudden urge to push him, of all people but he was at the core of every (Gotham) event for a while.

Sometimes a character is just everywhere for a while and I can't help but wonder why, if its the anniversary of their first appearance or they're putting out a movie and the character's in it for a tie in or what. Black Mask made no sense, he's a Batman villain, but without any of the crazy (sure, in his original appearances, and No Man's Land, but after this it never seemed to come up) and he's just greedy and power hungry. He's like the Penguin without the veneer of class and the ego, or Falcone with a gimmick.

I mean, sure, Penguin's a bit dated but they've managed to spice him up in Gotham. He's at least got some personality to him.

nofather fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 28, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

nofather posted:

Black Mask was overrated.

I don't know why they had a sudden urge to push him, of all people but he was at the core of every (Gotham) event for a while.

Sometimes a character is just everywhere for a while and I can't help but wonder why, if its the anniversary of their first appearance or they're putting out a movie and the character's in it for a tie in or what. Black Mask made no sense, he's a Batman villain, but without any of the crazy (sure, in his original appearances, and No Man's Land, but after this it never seemed to come up) and he's just greedy and power hungry. He's like the Penguin without the veneer of class and the ego, or Falcone with a gimmick.

I mean, sure, Penguin's a bit dated but they've managed to spice him up in Gotham. He's at least got some personality to him.

Read Brubakers Catwoman run. Bru did a good job in making BM a good Catwoman villain

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Just finished Blue Beetle from the 80s which was written by Wein. The front half of the series is good, but hits a stumbling point with the Legends crossover. Wein rights the course of the book and we get a few more solid issues before the Millenium crossover issues just break the book. The last Chronos and Madmen stories are fun, but the series ends on a weird reset/cliffhanger with Ted walking off into the sunset. The art gets better as the series progresses but the first few issues drawn by a fresh off Blue Devil Paris Cullen are rough.

All in all I think this book was a prime example of how crossovers and events can just break books.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Just finished Blue Beetle from the 80s which was written by Wein. The front half of the series is good, but hits a stumbling point with the Legends crossover. Wein rights the course of the book and we get a few more solid issues before the Millenium crossover issues just break the book. The last Chronos and Madmen stories are fun, but the series ends on a weird reset/cliffhanger with Ted walking off into the sunset. The art gets better as the series progresses but the first few issues drawn by a fresh off Blue Devil Paris Cullen are rough.

All in all I think this book was a prime example of how crossovers and events can just break books.

That book, along with Giffen and DeMatteis' JLI, made me into a Blue Beetle fan for life. I had the original issues (plus Secret Origins #2, a Blue Beetle issue by Wein and Gil Kane) bound into a custom hardcover. Ted is kind of bland in Wein's series compared to JLI, but definitely more competent overall.

And I like Cullins' art! Some of his faces remind me of an early Todd McFarlane. I have his original Blue Beetle promo poster laminated and a beautiful full-color BB Cullins commission piece framed, up above my desk in my home office. I've still never met the man -- he was supposed to be at the 2016 MegaCon, but ended up no-showing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

Read Brubakers Catwoman run. Bru did a good job in making BM a good Catwoman villain
Yeah, the timeline of Black Mask is definitely:

1985-2002: Lower tier Batman villain, maybe appears in something more than a crowd scene every 18-24 months

2003: Really effective use in Ed Brubaker's Catwoman

2004: HEY GUYS LET'S USE BLACK MASK IN EVERYTHING

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That book, along with Giffen and DeMatteis' JLI, made me into a Blue Beetle fan for life. I had the original issues (plus Secret Origins #2, a Blue Beetle issue by Wein and Gil Kane) bound into a custom hardcover. Ted is kind of bland in Wein's series compared to JLI, but definitely more competent overall.

And I like Cullins' art! Some of his faces remind me of an early Todd McFarlane. I have his original Blue Beetle promo poster laminated and a beautiful full-color BB Cullins commission piece framed, up above my desk in my home office. I've still never met the man -- he was supposed to be at the 2016 MegaCon, but ended up no-showing.

I agree with about Ted being bland. A combination of JLI funny guy and Wein's competency is the ideal Ted.

I like Cullin's art in Blue Devil, but those first few BB issues that he draws are rough and the cartoon faces do not fit.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I agree with about Ted being bland. A combination of JLI funny guy and Wein's competency is the ideal Ted.

I like Cullin's art in Blue Devil, but those first few BB issues that he draws are rough and the cartoon faces do not fit.

This is the poster I have, full of characters that NEVER appeared in the series!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Speaking of JLI...is it worth picking up all the six volumes available on Comixology?

I've been tempted to do so from time to time, but haven't gone through with it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The main thing I remember about Len Wein's Blue Beetle is that Ted was nowhere near the kind of clown he was in JLI.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m currently about halfway through Giffen’s and Roger’s Blue Beetle run and that thing is fantastic if.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This is the poster I have, full of characters that NEVER appeared in the series!

Nowadays the poster would read "You wanted him -- gently caress You!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

wielder posted:

Speaking of JLI...is it worth picking up all the six volumes available on Comixology?

Yeah!

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Remember when Blue Beetle was in Birds of Prey, put in as a romantic interest for Barbara Gordon who was entirely not interested.

Ra's al Ghul got farther with Black Canary.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

nofather posted:

Remember when Blue Beetle was in Birds of Prey, put in as a romantic interest for Barbara Gordon who was entirely not interested.

Ra's al Ghul got farther with Black Canary.

He also bankrolled them and drove his company into bankruptcy to do so. Bruce Wayne bought out Kord Industries and used it to build Brother Eye. Batman killed Ted Kord.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Remember when Ted and Booster hunt down a lonely, sewer-dwelling vampire to make enough cash to buy Ted a new CD player? Good times.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Black Mask as a villain. And was actully pretty impressed he was going to be the main villain of a video game. So I was a bit sad he actually played second fiddle to the Joker there.

Added on it feels like several Batman villains have ripped him off, given that he was the original Childhood friends with Bruce villain. (Like Hush steals pretty much everything from him.)

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, the timeline of Black Mask is definitely:

1985-2002: Lower tier Batman villain, maybe appears in something more than a crowd scene every 18-24 months

2003: Really effective use in Ed Brubaker's Catwoman

2004: HEY GUYS LET'S USE BLACK MASK IN EVERYTHING

Essentially the only writer to actually have issues focusing on Black Mask before Brubaker was Doug Moench. He went like 7 years without appearing as anything other than a background character in between Moench runs on Batman books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Black Mask was great in Under the Red Hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I thought Black Mask was interesting in that he and The Penguin strike me as the last remnants of regular organised crime in Gotham, but to hold on they evolved to take on aspects of the new super-criminals. I don't know if that's actually how they portray him though, I've not read much with him and I'm mostly familiar with him from Arkham and The Batman. I'll put Brubaker's Catwoman on the list.