Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Nerds' obsession with canonicity just goes back to the core nerd problem: they've made pop culture esoterica core to their personality, and any attack on that stuff is perceived as a personal attack. When something stops being canon, it's someone with more power saying that they didn't like the stories you "liked" and that they have something better in mind. Whether you actually liked the now non-canonical stories is immaterial, but just knowing about it is something that you take very seriously. It's why you need a better way of thinking about fiction than "did I like it?" or "did everyone else like it?", because then you have nothing to talk about and you have to invent these nonsense categories to even have something worth discussing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Based on nothing more than reading those passages you've quoted, Titus Groan strikes me as little more than a neoliberal shriek against anything not petty-bourgeoisie, as reactionary in its contempt for "the stupids" as a Godard.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CountFosco posted:

Based on nothing more than reading those passages you've quoted, Titus Groan strikes me as little more than a neoliberal shriek against anything not petty-bourgeoisie, as reactionary in its contempt for "the stupids" as a Godard.

lol

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CountFosco out of freaking nowhere!!!!

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Titus Groan is full of great description with a huge focus on light and shadow, but all the characters are monty python skits without punchlines.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So Monty Python skits then

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

BananaNutkins posted:

Titus Groan is full of great description with a huge focus on light and shadow, but all the characters are monty python skits without punchlines.

i havent read titus groan but everything i've ever seen you post has been wrong so this is actually a glowing recommendation

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 27, 2018

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Have you any interest in reading Gene Wolfe?

the ancient stones
Mar 28, 2018

by zen death robot
i really enjoyed gormenghast but have struggled getting into titus groan because i get bogged down with the professors, i feel like they're hilarious satire of a society that i have no familiarity with and can't understand or appreciate (english academia; whereas i know enough about english nobility by osmosis to be entertained by the satire in the first book). i'll keep trying though.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Titus Groan is actually the first book.

the ancient stones
Mar 28, 2018

by zen death robot
oh lol sorry, i have the anthology so i got confused

the ancient stones
Mar 28, 2018

by zen death robot
i understand that if i can't keep the titles straight then i probably don't have the intellectual rigor to appreciate the work

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
This is now my official Star Wars canon, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4N-R-vpCAs.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like to read books that are bad for entertainment. I like to read books that are good so I can think about Things. Everyone should enjoy some books.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I like to read books that are bad for entertainment. I like to read books that are good so I can think about Things. Everyone should enjoy some books.

thanks for weighing in, buddy

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

thanks for weighing in, buddy

You're welcome. I was worried that the first sentence might upset some, but I'm glad it didn't.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Mods?!?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Just LMAO if you have ever wasted your time reading anything worse than Under the Volcano.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
please goldmine this thread as soon as the terry goodkind/david eddings post hits thanks

rvm
May 6, 2013

Brinner posted:

please goldmine this thread as soon as the terry goodkind/david eddings post hits thanks

Low hanging fruit.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i dunno. goodkind is a special kind of awful. his books are obvious choices but the criticisms wouldn't be the generic ones that apply to every tedious fantasy epic.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Goodkind and Eddings are dead horses. Our dear lamp isn't interested in redundancy.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I tried reading Pillars of Creation thinking it would be dumb generic fantasy with lots of action or something. It was just a lot of talking and philosophy with very little description and the font was like size 36 as if to make up for it. Maybe I got the old man special edition.

I was younger and less forgiving of bad prose back then, but I remember thinking that if Dan Brown wrote epic fantasy, forgot he was writing fantasy, and started penning a dirty love letter to Ayn Rand, this is what it would read like.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 25, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Terry Badkind.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Badmean.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The irony of thinking botl only makes fun of bad fantasy instead of embracing the universal truth that all fantasy is bad

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Goodkind and Eddings are dead horses. Our dear lamp isn't interested in redundancy.

Whenever you see usual suspects like Goodkind or Ernest Cline get pilloried, all you have to remember is that it's 99% at the hands of people who will recommend A Song of Ice and Fire or The Dresden Files as alternatives. It's really an exercise to distract from the fact that they're not reading anything good.

No joke, the goon behind the RPO rewrite project recommended The Dresden Files as a model of good prose.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 25, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Whenever you see usual suspects like Goodkind or Ernest Cline get pilloried, all you have to remember is that it's 99% at the hands of people who will recommend A Song of Ice and Fire or The Dresden Files as alternatives. It's really an exercise to distract from the fact that they're not reading anything good.

No joke, the goon behind the RPO rewrite project recommended The Dresden Files as a model of good prose.

So essentially you're saying that all bad things are equally bad?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

the title of the YA thread on this very forum has been a jab at Twilight since whenever Twilight was still relevant for this exact reason

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I love that the idea that YA books are for kids has become a hot take.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
we live in a fallen age

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CountFosco posted:

i just want to say, i unironically appreciate your effort to direct the same level of sneering shitposting at something BotL likes as he does at

well

pretty much everything

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I unironically appreciate trying to own Mervyn Peake for being a neoliberal.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

the title of the YA thread on this very forum has been a jab at Twilight since whenever Twilight was still relevant for this exact reason

it's a very funny title that im glad of

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

So essentially you're saying that all bad things are equally bad?

"Why read The Wheel of Time when you could read a good book?" has the same answer as "Why read The Dresden Files...?"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wow BotL really can't go a day without being probated. I hope he's spending some of this time working on more book takedowns.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Crimpolioni posted:

it's a very funny title that im glad of

it's not funny; it's actually very sad, because it represents a bunch of adults who read children's books and yet try to cultivate a sense of superiority because they don't read a particular children's book

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

it's not funny; it's actually very sad, because it represents a bunch of adults who read children's books and yet try to cultivate a sense of superiority because they don't read a particular children's book

well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether this very funny scenario is funny or not i suppose

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Lots of people started reading specific series when they were themselves children or teenagers. The only YA I still read is stuff that's still going that I started young, which I don't see as particularly shameful.

EDIT: Like it's the book version of comfort food. Who cares?

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean I guess my issue with YA is that I have yet to find a YA book that handles a topic or theme better than an adult book and so for me its like "why bother"