Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Acebuckeye13 posted:

More than that, the T-34 was a tank designed around mass production, and the Soviets were ruthless about cost-cutting. Each individual tank didn't have to be a world-beater, they just had to be good enough-and even the earlier ones were let down more by logistical failures and poorly trained crews than they were by design flaws. The Panther, by contrast, was just far too expensive of a tank to have the design flaws that it did.

The T-34 was indeed designed for manufacturability, though it was a high performer first -- it completely changed the face of armored warfare and nothing the Germans had could stand up to it. It was nothing like the Sherman, though -- while a Tiger took 300,000 man hours to produce and a T-34 took about 40,000 (with the usual wildly ranging figures common to Soviet record keeping) a Sherman took just 10,000.

Albert Khan, the architect who designed those production lines was a goddamn mastermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, this battle possibly has two dead CVLs and possibly one Essex - or at least one Essex badly mauled that's gonna be in the repiar yards for a long time? For just a lot of lost planes. That's.. Not so bad - particularly for the Japanese at this stage in the war!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

wiegieman posted:

The T-34 was indeed designed for manufacturability, though it was a high performer first -- it completely changed the face of armored warfare and nothing the Germans had could stand up to it. It was nothing like the Sherman, though -- while a Tiger took 300,000 man hours to produce and a T-34 took about 40,000 (with the usual wildly ranging figures common to Soviet record keeping) a Sherman took just 10,000.

Albert Khan, the architect who designed those production lines was a goddamn mastermind.

An oft-quoted figure that I've heard is that the Germans killed 3 Allied tanks to every German one that was lost. But the Allies produced 10 tanks for every German tank.

No idea on the accuracy of that, but I suspect that the number of kills was lower and that the actualproduction figure was higher. US manufacturing was positively goddamn ridiculous in WW2.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Grey Hunter posted:

Not a bad showing in Burma.

I wonder if this game models the glue holding the plywood bombers together disolving in the Burmese heat and humidity.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

A White Guy posted:

An oft-quoted figure that I've heard is that the Germans killed 3 Allied tanks to every German one that was lost. But the Allies produced 10 tanks for every German tank.

No idea on the accuracy of that, but I suspect that the number of kills was lower and that the actualproduction figure was higher. US manufacturing was positively goddamn ridiculous in WW2.

Even if that's true it's kinda misleading because tanks don't generally fight other tanks directly all that often. More tank kills are going to come from anti-tank guns, bazookas, mines and aircraft than other tanks. Again, assuming that's even accurate, you could chalk that up to the Allies post 1943/44 fighting a mostly offensive war and having to advance against entrenched defenses.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
The Americans had a favourable kill ratio against Germany; claims of Panther/Tiger superiority come from Nazi or nazi-sympathetic sources. Given that defending tanks had the advantage over the attackers, losing 3.6 Panthers for every Sherman is not a good showing.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Additionally, 'lost' tanks might mean several things - it's not like every kill was that tank exploding in a huge fireball, taking the whole crew with them! Many would have been disabled or immobilized, with possible survivors.

On top of that, the Allies were generally advancing, and the Axis retreating (in the back half of the war, anyway). Any 'lost' Allied tanks could be recovered, repaired, or at least stripped for parts once the battle moved on. The Germans couldn't do that nearly as often, as most of their busted hardware was overrun, further skewing their losses.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 27, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Panthers and Tigers were also drastically over-reported by Allied soldiers. Most any medium-sized armored vehicle soldiers encountered tended to get reported as a Panther even if it was something like a Hetzer or a StuG. Any big armored vehicle was almost invariably reported as a Tiger.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Well, there's a neat trick in statistics to estimate just how many of the damnable things there really are. It's called the, well, the German Tank Problem after exactly this situation.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Corvinus posted:

The Americans had a favourable kill ratio against Germany; claims of Panther/Tiger superiority come from Nazi or nazi-sympathetic sources. Given that defending tanks had the advantage over the attackers, losing 3.6 Panthers for every Sherman is not a good showing.

Kindly shut the hell up and stop making moronic statements. The claims of superiority did not come from only those sources, as the myth of their vast superiority stretched over decades. Want to know what's actually accurate?

Cythereal posted:

Panthers and Tigers were also drastically over-reported by Allied soldiers. Most any medium-sized armored vehicle soldiers encountered tended to get reported as a Panther even if it was something like a Hetzer or a StuG. Any big armored vehicle was almost invariably reported as a Tiger.

Tigers being considered a boogeyman isn't some myth, it was something that was fairly legitimately believed at the time. Sure, as historians have heavily gone over the records in recent years (like that referenced book, which was published in 2015) and found that in most cases it was an AT gun or SPG doesn't magically make all those former claimants "Nazi-sympathizers." Nor does it make people in current times claiming that as common knowledge that either as, shockingly, not everyone follows military history particularly closely outside the common myths.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Their troops are ashore, but I can still blast their ships.

So many ships. To be fair, there are a lot less than yesterday.

This surface attack was a little foolish.

We set a troopship on fire.

Most of their ships seem to be leaving now.

We pick off some of the wounded ships.

A much calmer day, and my new troops at Truk are finally ready to attack tomorrow. Today I dip below four thousand points away from doubling the Allies score.

We can start confirming the ships sunk at Truk now, will we get enough in the next few days to reach my target?
Eighty ships sunk so far this month. But they have been much higher value than normal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lord Koth posted:

Kindly shut the hell up and stop making moronic statements. The claims of superiority did not come from only those sources, as the myth of their vast superiority stretched over decades. Want to know what's actually accurate?

Tigers being considered a boogeyman isn't some myth, it was something that was fairly legitimately believed at the time. Sure, as historians have heavily gone over the records in recent years (like that referenced book, which was published in 2015) and found that in most cases it was an AT gun or SPG doesn't magically make all those former claimants "Nazi-sympathizers." Nor does it make people in current times claiming that as common knowledge that either as, shockingly, not everyone follows military history particularly closely outside the common myths.

Dude chill out

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Incidently, a vet from down the street was one of the early American troops in North Africa.

One day, while he was on duty, saw the barrel of a German tank cresting a hill in the distance. So he immediately called in an artilley barage from which they figured drove the tank off. A few hours later they reconned the hill and didn't find a knocked out tank but a dead camel. Comically he said they reported it as a tank that drove off.

So, regardless of what books say I don't think we'll truly know much like the million man battles of ancient times.

Now.... Grey crippled too many ships not to have the 100.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Well, there's a neat trick in statistics to estimate just how many of the damnable things there really are. It's called the, well, the German Tank Problem after exactly this situation.

That's shockingly accurate; estimate: 256 tanks a month, actual number: 255

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Not gonna waste an opportunity to get mad about Tiger tanks in 2018.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

mllaneza posted:

That's shockingly accurate; estimate: 256 tanks a month, actual number: 255

8 bit tanks are so retro cool right now

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
...what kind of experience scores do these coastal gunners at Wake and Truk have by now? :stare:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Not gonna waste an opportunity to get mad about Tiger tanks in 2018.

I was trying to think of a funny neo nazi name and thought of "88 Flak" but then hated my self instantly.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Memorial Day has reacquainted me with a number of American post war comedies set during the Pacific War. Yeah, that’s not happening.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Magni posted:

...what kind of experience scores do these coastal gunners at Wake and Truk have by now? :stare:

Fortress Wake Island is certainly a novel strategy

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
680 shots for 8 hits is a pretty bad return. I hope most of those were an idiot with a .50 cal firing wildly

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

680 shots for 8 hits is a pretty bad return. I hope most of those were an idiot with a .50 cal firing wildly

Idk how many naval artillery shots were needed on average to score a hit, but IIRC the average military unit fires something on the order of a few thousand bullets for every hit on the enemy so 680 might be good? :shrug:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Soo, how many kills this month were by airplanes and how many kills this month were by surface batteries?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's a reason why Truk was subjected to an intense aerial bombardment for two full days and was never actually invaded, only isolated

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Have we been keeping up the bombardment at Chungking, or is that something that should only be done sporadically?

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Drone posted:

Have we been keeping up the bombardment at Chungking, or is that something that should only be done sporadically?

We are letting them get through the previous 100,000 J-Rations, in a month they will be too starved to fight again!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Drone posted:

it should be bombarded constantly.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013

goatface posted:

dunno, the numbers boil down to an observed hit-rate of 1.2 %. Compared to the 2-3% of hits scored at jutland this sounds too bad. after all at Truk we most likely have light field guns firing without the sophisticated firecontrol of naval guns shooting at small manouvreable targets.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

this reminds me of another fun statistical thing that came up in WWII - the USAAF surveyed returning bombers and mapped the locations where they got hit by flak, but the statisticians showed that the places to reinforce the armor were the places where no returning planes ever had flak hits (because planes hit in those locations by flak did not return to join the database). citations here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Wald

also the people who had to worry about managing trans-Atlantic shipping logistics kind of invented linear optimization, which sort of runs the world as explained by whats his name in Network (note: this has nothing to do with WWII)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9XeyBd_IuA

in general i feel like WWII came at a time when technology was powerful but still grasp-able in a way it isn't today. like, computer bugs were literal moths, if you wanted to do 1+1=2 you had to figure out a bunch of electrical engineering and have some lady who's probably smarter than you move all the settings around on your office-sized computer, and so many technologies from night vision to penicillin to radar to obviously nuclear were born in that time. it would've been an interesting time to be a rich white male nerd. also let's be honest if you wanted to be on the cutting edge you kinda had to be american too, not that the brits didn't have fun at bletchley park and whatnot

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 28, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I need those planes.

Bloody flak.

There are still a few ships to pick off.

This is acceptable losses against Spitfires.

Run and hide lads.

Truk could be something of a battle – they have a lot of men ashore – I have a lot more, but terrain is god here.

This was mainly an air day, but let's see what else we've picked up.

Disappointing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Low allied losses, but a unit wiped out is nice.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Does anyone know on what page the Battle of Milne Bay went down?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fader Movitz posted:

Does anyone know on what page the Battle of Milne Bay went down?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754889&pagenumber=121&perpage=40#post466894051

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Great thanks!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

oystertoadfish posted:

this reminds me of another fun statistical thing that came up in WWII - the USAAF surveyed returning bombers and mapped the locations where they got hit by flak, but the statisticians showed that the places to reinforce the armor were the places where no returning planes ever had flak hits (because planes hit in those locations by flak did not return to join the database). citations here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Wald
also let's be honest if you wanted to be on the cutting edge you kinda had to be american too, not that the brits didn't have fun at bletchley park and whatnot

Yeah only the first computer, the only operational allied jet fighter, radar, VT fuses, even hobarts funnies: the back room boffins were employed by the state to be big old brains doing nothing but thinking.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That bomber thing is so army Galaxy Brain

"All the planes that return have damage in these parts, make those parts stronger!!!!"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

twelve thousand political points

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

lenoon posted:

Yeah only the first computer, the only operational allied jet fighter, radar, VT fuses, even hobarts funnies: the back room boffins were employed by the state to be big old brains doing nothing but thinking.

Konrad Zuse says hi from germany, aswell.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Holy smokes, a Flower-class corvette survived a couple of bomb hits? She displaces less than a thousand tonnes, and was designed initially as a whaling vessel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Leperflesh posted:

twelve thousand political points

What should Grey be doing with these?