Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m going to see Solo later today, just keeping my expectations low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I doubt Disney is going to scrap their chance at a movie starring a black pansexual character. Besides if Disney wants to put out a Star Wars or Star Wars adjacent film every year they're going to do a Lando movie eventually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll probably make a Qi'ra movie first.

Also people in Star Wars can have normal names, just call her K(e)ira you nerds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m going to see Solo later today, just keeping my expectations low

So low

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Also people in Star Wars can have normal names, just call her K(e)ira you nerds.

Did the name Anakin exist before Star Wars? I don't really care if it did honestly, if you gave your kid that name I'm calling CPS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anakin is a surname going back well before Star Wars, so there could have been some Anakins since giving a kid a surname as a first name is sometimes a thing.

Lucas also was friends with a guy named Ken Annakin but he denies using his name as the source.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every Anakin aged 40 and under is named after Star Wars. And due ti my prior proximity to the 501st I've encountered 4 couples with twins named LUKE & LEIA.

THEY'RE SO ORIGINAL NOBODY HAS EVER DONE THAT BEFORE

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The real victims are the ones born before 1999 who went from being named after Darth Vader to being named after Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

There's only one good Kira, and it's Kira Nerys

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's only one good Kira, and it's Kira Nerys

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Force Awakens was too.

Force Awakens was scheduled for May 2015 but pushed to December 2015 at Abrams' request in order to have time to work on the script. However, because they didn't begin shooting until May 2014 and then production had to be shut down after Ford broke his leg, Abrams, knowing that post-production was going to be frenzied, begged along with Kathleen Kennedy to push the movie to May 2016 to give them enough time to finish it properly. Bob Iger declined, though, wanting Force Awakens to hit in that specific fiscal quarter for Disney.

So ultimately, TFA's post-production period was absolutely insane (Nyongo said she went in almost a half-dozen times to re-record her dialogue because Maz's character kept changing), and Abrams did an almost complete top-to-bottom re-edit of the movie about a month before release because of pacing issues.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aphrodite posted:

The real victims are the ones born before 1999 who went from being named after Darth Vader to being named after Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen.

My twin brother and I have middle names Jacob and Edward. THAT was fun when Twilight was big.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, it's $83 million and might be $100 million after Monday. They definitely expected more, but your point still stands. That's a lot of money and kinda silly to call it a flop or bomb.

Not really. The post reshoot production budget is estimated at $250 million, the advertising budget is probably more than $100 million, maybe 150. Based on its current numbers it’s unlikely to make more than 800 million worldwide, of which the studio only gets a percentage cut*, more in the domestic market, less overseas. Bringing in $750-800 million gross on a $350-400 million outlay is probably technically profitable after everyone takes their cut, but it’s pretty far from where you want to be with a property that was supposed to be guaranteed money.

*The exact percentage of which is a heavily guarded industry secret but probably a little more than 50%

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 28, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I watch a lot of TV and I don't think I saw much for Solo. Where were they spending all that money this time?

Previous Star Wars movies had commercials every break.

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

Do you think the Kasdans realized they just gave Han Solo Mister Miracle's origin or is it just an utterly absurd coincidence?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Codependent Poster posted:

James Mangold doing that has me on board. I think we might see a Star Wars western.

I was surprised at how little of one Solo was. There's a couple bits that felt like they were going for that, but it never actually went in on it. I mostly liked Solo though.

Also I was iffy on a Boba Fett movie, but after Logan I'm interested in what James Mangold will do.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Here's Zack Snyder's next project:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/28/17403266/zack-snyder-the-fountainhead-adaptation-ayn-rand

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It doesn't sound like he has the funding yet. Sounds like pre-pre-pre-production

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
[something sarcastic about neck snapping]

In honestly, I will probably go see that. I'm interested to see what he does with this sort of thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Considering his superhero movies are loving trash, maybe doing the exact opposite of a superhero character will be more up his alley.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 28, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Monaghan posted:

Considering his superhero movies are loving trash, maybe doing the exact opposite of a superhero character will be more up his alley.

Those movies are Randian wet dreams.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
If it ever gets made, it'll be one of the biggest flops of the year or straight to VOD. We just had 3 Atlas Shrugged movies, remember those?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Those movies are Randian wet dreams.

I completely agree and it's one of the main reasons I hate his superhero work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MorgaineDax posted:

If it ever gets made, it'll be one of the biggest flops of the year or straight to VOD. We just had 3 Atlas Shrugged movies, remember those?

Curiosity got the better of me once and i watched those and its actually kinda fun to watch them getting progressively worse quality wise as budgets shrink and production values tank and they have to hire ever shittier actors to replace the people they cant pay anymore

site fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 29, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What a terrible idea.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I thought we only had two of those movies.

EDIT: Oh wow they really did make a third, I thought I read somewhere that plan for the third movie fizzled out after their Kickstarter failed. That's actually pretty hypocritical if you think about it.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 29, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

What a terrible idea.

weed is a helluva drug

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

I thought we only had two of those movies.

You don't remember this beloved franchise that took the world by storm?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
but didn't CD say he was working on his cut of justice league

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fangz posted:

Of course he is. He's spending his own time, money and resources to finish a cut of the film that he can't make money on and that will never see an actual release.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fangz posted:

It'll be released concurrently with Star Citizen

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Of course he is. He's spending his own time, money and resources to finish a cut of the film that he can't make money on and that will never see an actual release.

This doesn't sound totally impossible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
maybe fountainhead is his cut of justice league

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean, id rather snyder work through his grief by finishing his movie than adapting a loving ayn rand book

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't.

He got fired. He didn't really quit. He used his daughter's suicide to cover getting canned.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
And to think that some of the Snyder fans have actually convinced themselves that BvS and MoS have leftist anti-capitalist messages.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't.

He got fired. He didn't really quit. He used his daughter's suicide to cover getting canned.

it'd be more accurate to say that he and WB used his daughter's suicide as a pretext to make public that he wasn't involved in post-production or reshoots, but close enough

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honestly it's pathetic the amount you hate some dude for making a Superman movie you didn't like

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He made way more movies I don’t like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I fuckin love that movie we're not allowed to talk about but BvS was a mess and JL was falling apart before it even began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's pretty fascinating sometimes. I wade in CD occasionally with comments but I'm basically told, unambiguously, that I'm not only wrong, I'm actually thinking something different - deep down, in my heart, I apparently actually agree with them - but I'm not acknowledging it because... (and then they trail off.)

I'm not exactly Mr. Smartypants Genius 2000, and yeah, sometimes I'm wrong. But I know when I'm being preached to. It's cultish and weird.

• Locked thread