Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/robotbrush/status/997539032065302529?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anyone tried this game in vr?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got a new patch for this but can't find any patch notes. Anyone?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:derp:

Give me more Prey, hurry up, I want more Prey :supaburn:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Sure, I'll buy moon dlc, but what I really want is a sequel where we go to earth.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

just finished this, great game.
sunk 55hrs into it, really enjoyed it.
it really is an updated version of system shock 2.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Jerusalem posted:

:derp:

Give me more Prey, hurry up, I want more Prey :supaburn:

Just got done with Death of the Outsider, and thought it was pretty interesting how Arkane went with a very limited set of powers that forced you into quite a different playstyle. It'll be interesting to see if they go with that kind of more focused direction for this DLC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Abalone Malone posted:

sunk 55hrs into it, really enjoyed it.

Not one playthrough, right?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
According to Steam my first playthrough took 56 hours, minus maybe 1 or 2 for a restart. That was exploring every loose end I could find, trying to solve everything I could without looking it up, and trying to find every crew member on the ship. Probably would've shaved off a bunch of time if I'd taken the slow time ability instead of going stealthy, and if I'd discovered that you could boost your speed in space before being three-quarters of the way through the game. GUTS :argh:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mymla posted:

Sure, I'll buy moon dlc, but what I really want is a sequel where we go to earth.

yeah that would be rad. although an arkane deus ex-like is what's really missing after dishonoured and prey...

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Neurosis posted:

yeah that would be rad. although an arkane deus ex-like is what's really missing after dishonoured and prey...

My secret hope is that CDPR will find straight action no-hacking combat clunky for Cyberpunk 2077 and also for a game with 'Cyberpunk' in the name, and they take inspiration from Deus Ex and Arkane games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any "must know" tips for Arx Fatalis before I start a game?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Play as a mage as it is the most fun once you get a handle on the gesture system. Focus your skill point spends only the skills relevant to that class - Casting, ethereal link (for passive mana-regen) or object knowledge if you want to brew potions for mana. You might want to look up a guide to rune locations and spell combinations but you can get the fireball spell fairly early on and it will get you through most of the game.

Play using the Arx Libertatis source port. The most recent dev builds have UI scaling options and other quality of life improvements.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rinkles posted:

Any "must know" tips for Arx Fatalis before I start a game?
I think there's some sort of important rock you can find but it's not clear what it does for a while so don't just drop the rock somewhere and forget it? I can't remember. Anyways I went in totally blind and I everything turned out fine. I don't remember any glaring stuff.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Not one playthrough, right?

yeah, but i did every side quest i could find.
i got the achievement for finding all the crew members on the station, which must've bugged out because i couldn't get the guys in the IT closet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

i got the achievement for finding all the crew members on the station, which must've bugged out because i couldn't get the guys in the IT closet.

If I remember right, they actually only become findable if you take a very specific story path - basically if you kill everybody you find as you play, later in the game the mercenary who gets sent up to kill you will tell you he's impressed by you, and if you can track down these last few humans and kill them then he will fly you back to Earth instead of killing you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Abalone Malone posted:

Those people are always inaccessible unless you're being a specific kind of character. It confused me a lot too.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, they actually only become findable if you take a very specific story path - basically if you kill everybody you find as you play, later in the game the mercenary who gets sent up to kill you will tell you he's impressed by you, and if you can track down these last few humans and kill them then he will fly you back to Earth instead of killing you.

I went the opposite path, and got the empathy ending.
i only picked one mimic abilty, i powered out the psycho shock path and was mind melting monsters

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Abalone Malone posted:

It's not a bug, "read all the e-mails" and "listen to all the logs" achievements also trigger before you actually get every single one of them. I assume this is to allow for different playstyles to get the achievements without having to follow a specific path (since a few are behind doors/quests you might not do).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

I went the opposite path, and got the empathy ending.

I basically did a full empathy path, a full murder everyone path (that was tough, I almost never do that in games) and then a full human-only run (in which I also saved everybody) and then I got upset because there was no more game to play. So gimme that DLC!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jerusalem posted:

I basically did a full empathy path, a full murder everyone path (that was tough, I almost never do that in games) and then a full human-only run (in which I also saved everybody) and then I got upset because there was no more game to play. So gimme that DLC!

So you didn't do a no mods run? What a shame.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No Mods/Flesh & Steel Runs make me think there’s someone out there at Arkane who literally doesn’t understand power fantasy or was like deeply pushing a survival horror aspect that no one else wanted because those mechanics are stupid.

Like I know you need brain worms to be a grown rear end adult who plays video james but playing these games without powers sounds just abysmal, because neither of these games really have the stealth or base combat to support those playthroughs not being massive exercises in tedium.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

No Mods/Flesh & Steel Runs make me think there’s someone out there at Arkane who literally doesn’t understand power fantasy or was like deeply pushing a survival horror aspect that no one else wanted because those mechanics are stupid.

Like I know you need brain worms to be a grown rear end adult who plays video james but playing these games without powers sounds just abysmal, because neither of these games really have the stealth or base combat to support those playthroughs not being massive exercises in tedium.

A lot of people like that stuff. Challenges are fun. Arkane actually understands its player base quite well, it's fine if you don't like it but that doesn't mean there is nobody who does.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m hoping against hope that the DLC somehow includes implementation of the full suite of survival horror mechanics that weren’t finished in the main game

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

Counterpoint: It's really fun to play Dishonored and Prey with zero/low powers. You develop totally new strategies in response to the challenge, and new "mechanics" emerge organically from that. Especially Blink in Dishonored - removing that makes you appreciate the environment in a totally different way.

I don't want to be a superhero in every game. Sometimes I want to be a scared human surviving by the skin of my teeth. Please don't advocate to take that away!!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Besides which, it's an entirely optional conduct in a single-player game that you can choose to follow, or not, at your discretion.

Optional challenge modes that support or encourage different playstyles are cool and good even if they aren't something I partake of myself.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

While I haven't done a no mods run of Prey (yet) the idea has appeal to me. The early part of the game where everything is scary, you avoid combat because it's a drain on your scarce resources, and you sometimes make choices based on which route will be harder instead of breezing through everything and always getting exactly what you want would in theory never end if you never took powers. That beginning part is a lot of fun and very tense, it's just different from the out and out power trip the game becomes later, but I wouldn't mind playing that for a lot longer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

So you didn't do a no mods run? What a shame.

Sorry, that's what I meant by full human, which I can see now was probably a confusing way of putting it. On my initial empathy run I never used any typhon powers, on my full death kill everybody run I stacked up on every typhon power I could get my grubby little paws on. My final run was zero mods.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I just finished my own No Mods run as well, and it definitely is a little stressful in the beginning even if you know where item and weapon caches are. But once I gained access to space and typhon lures, sneaking or flying past everything seemed to be the most cost effective way around Talos One. Throw Lure to the middle of a room, and then climb past/float over all the transfixed Typhon to reach the door to the next area.

But No Mods was still a fun way to play Prey, since it rewards you if you know alternate paths in areas, such as floating down to the pipes and catwalks in the lower Life Support area to avoid all the enemies on the bottom floor.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I can see no mods being a fun way to play Prey, because one of my main complaints is that it turned into Predator about halfway through the game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

They're there because people requested them in the case of Dishonored 2 and it also fits in with their free form game design (Prey).

If you want the power fantasy aspects of the game you can go full powers + high chaos (Dishonored), they said so as much on interviews for their games.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm playing on normal difficulty and this game is hard, although I think I missed the shotgun so that might be part of why. I just got the psychoscope, and right now I'm traveling through GUTS with just about no ammo except for the gloo gun and the toy gun (that I can never successfully distract enemies with). I'm half-tempted to go back and dick around in the easier areas until I have more ammo/weapons/mods, but I feel like I might be a little too far, and the purple shock dudes killed me 10 times while I tried to get to the Psychotronics area and I don't want to try to go past them again.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The game definitely starts off hard and gets easier. If you're hurting for equipment exploring is generally a good idea; as the plot advances the station gets more dangerous as you do, but if you spend a while not advancing the plot but gearing up you'll be better equipped to face stuff.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

aniviron posted:

The game definitely starts off hard and gets easier. If you're hurting for equipment exploring is generally a good idea; as the plot advances the station gets more dangerous as you do, but if you spend a while not advancing the plot but gearing up you'll be better equipped to face stuff.

Wait a minute: Every time you go into a different area the enemies repopulate. It's not even 'go into a new area'. If you go back and forth between the first two areas forever you'll run out of stuff eventually. (Right? ?? )

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

redreader posted:

Wait a minute: Every time you go into a different area the enemies repopulate. It's not even 'go into a new area'. If you go back and forth between the first two areas forever you'll run out of stuff eventually. (Right? ?? )

You seem to be contradicting yourself here, but the respawns are not unlimited. I believe they're triggered at various points of progression through the main quest line. Once you clear an area it will stay clear until you advance the story to a certain point.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Wafflecopper posted:

You seem to be contradicting yourself here, but the respawns are not unlimited. I believe they're triggered at various points of progression through the main quest line. Once you clear an area it will stay clear until you advance the story to a certain point.

yeah, you get different mimics depending what doomsday event you've just triggered.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

redreader posted:

Not really, enemies repopulate when you advance the plot, if you didn't do any quests the cleared areas will be empty.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
This is news to me. Every time I went back to any area there would be more enemies. And for the inevitable goon misunderstanding, this time it was the phrase "run out of stuff" : I meant 'you'll run out of ammo' because the enemies will repopulate and you'll have to shoot them/heal. Anyway, thanks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Your wrench never runs out of ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mimics will respawn and so will standard phantoms, but not in significant numbers. This is most obvious in Psychotronics and is why I have yet to keep Walton Goggins alive