Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

aphid_licker posted:

If you know who those people are trap sprung, you are old as gently caress

Goddamit

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I remember watching the news about the clubbing on live TV :corsair:

same

:corsair:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I remember when Oksana won gold that year and people lost their poo poo

She used to train at the Ice rink next to the newington ct VA hospital

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jesus gently caress I'm old.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/kim/status/995023363398557696?s=21

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

I'm fairly sure he isn't capable of debating anything at this point.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I remember when Oksana won gold that year and people lost their poo poo

She used to train at the Ice rink next to the newington ct VA hospital

Tonya Harding used to skate at the Clackamas Town Center mall ice rink all the time. She did always make it a point to stop and say hi to onlookers whenever possible. I remember seeing her there several times pre and post scandal when I was a kid.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Speaking of Rudy, it's his birthday today. He took in a Yankees game.

https://twitter.com/the_irishpsycho/status/1001209207184556032

“Are they...booing me?”

“Uh, no sir! They’re saying, uh, Boo-liani!”

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 29, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

All Rudy had to do was shut up after 9/11 and his place in the history books would have been solid-ish

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bonnie Blair, bitches. That was my childhood olympian crush.

Feeling old itt.

Also there was the I, Tonya movie recently so it's still a well known event. Heard great things about it, haven't seen it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yankees are still the baseball team people like if they don't know much bout baseball, kind of like the cowboys were before the patriots took over that role.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

aphid_licker posted:

If you know who those people are trap sprung, you are old as gently caress

suck my dick you fuckman

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh no, "Fienstien" is coming for your guns! This is a real fear that has basis in reality! :jerkbag:

Ooh, sorry no. Every basis in reality, she's said as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeRR7MwllH8&t=7s

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I knew it from secondhand pop culture references only, so I guess trap sprung but I gnawed my foot off to escape or something?

Anyway, here's one you guys might like. NZ built up an entire industry based on testing houses for the residue of meth, where a house that tested positive was regarded as unsaleable health hazard.

Turns out it's largely bullshit.
People turned "Meth labs are dangerous places" into "Any trace of methamphetamine residue should be treated like asbestos" in a form of mass hysteria, egged on by the people who did the testing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Steezo posted:

I would look for something more recent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jaguars! posted:

I knew it from secondhand pop culture references only, so I guess trap sprung but I gnawed my foot off to escape or something?

Anyway, here's one you guys might like. NZ built up an entire industry based on testing houses for the residue of meth, where a house that tested positive was regarded as unsaleable health hazard.

People turned "Meth labs are dangerous places" into "Any trace of methamphetamine residue should be treated like asbestos" in a form of mass hysteria, egged on by the people who did the testing.

Our media really need to be held to account for this sort of bullshit because they made a HUGE deal of it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Steezo posted:

Your alternative is some idiot who’s trying to make America great again by tearing it all down.
Real tough choice on what side to back.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Kristi Yamaguchi you heathen

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Steezo posted:

They are though. Democrat leadership is actively hostile to the constitution especially people like Pelosi and Fienstien who have said poo poo like, they want to repeal the second amendment, or incrementally destroy it.

Apply your argument to say, the first, or third amendments. What honest man needs more than thirty words? Ban assault language. Repeal the ban on quartering troops. Want to enjoy the benefits of American Imperalism? Better house and feed those troops. Hell lets ban dog breeds too because that totally solves the problem. If the government doesn't like someone they shouldn't be able to have a big dog. Ban Pit Bulls, Dobermans and Huskies! Whats that, the dog registry has been closed since 1982, we're gonna destroy your large breed.

Any argument in that would advocate for slavery, prohibition or taking away women's suffrage is so stupid as to be pure poo poo. I'm guessing your parents never weaned you from being spoon feed straight from their asses as a kid.

Strict constitutionalists appear to be interested in maintaining their advantage or superiority to the detriment of everyone else.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Steezo posted:

https://youtu.be/HI9tov6A2DI

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Feeling old itt.

Also there was the I, Tonya movie recently so it's still a well known event. Heard great things about it, haven't seen it.

Nadia Comaneci, here.

:corsair: Get off my uneven bars.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bonnie Blair was from an hour away from the corn infested poo poo hole I was raised in. Good old Champaign, Illinois. WCIA (then Champaign CBS affiliate) broadcast reached far enough to come in on antenna and they ran tons of hometown stuff about her each time she showed up.

I want to say there was a male figure skater from the area also, in the same Olympics as Blair, but he didn't have the memorable appeal of a woman on speed skates.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lightpole posted:

Strict constitutionalists appear to be interested in maintaining their advantage or superiority to the detriment of everyone else.

"Well regulated" is literally in the text of the 2nd amendment but it's not a phrase you see a lot of right wingers clamoring for people to adhere to. Just like states rights, they're only strict about it as long as it suits their purpose.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Fallom posted:

"Well regulated" is literally in the text of the 2nd amendment but it's not a phrase you see a lot of right wingers clamoring for people to adhere to. Just like states rights, they're only strict about it as long as it suits their purpose.

It's really just an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Forget your dogs I got a new cat.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fallom posted:

Words ans phrases have different meanings over the years. 200+ years ago, when the founding fathers wrote the 2nd Amendment, "well regulated" meant well trained. And militia had the definition of any able bodied male 15 to 45. Word's meanings change dude.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Jaguars! posted:

quote:

He said the bulk of methamphetamine was imported and not made here, and "even the ones that are here are probably using sealed container methodologies now rather than the old solvent releasing methodologies so the risks are very low to the New Zealand population".

A pretty key thing for their housing. My school has a meth lab on campus to study this exact kind of thing.

Some of their more recent research:
Parker, Kristia, "Methamphetamine absorption by skin oils: accumulated mass, partition coefficients and the influence of fatty acids" (2014). Masters Theses. 7311.
http://scholarsmine.mst.edu/masters_theses/7311
Li, Hongwan, "Adsorption and desorption capacity of methamphetamine in gypsum drywall" (2014). Masters Theses. 7331.
http://scholarsmine.mst.edu/masters_theses/7331

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Regardless of REEEEE GUNS

I hope you guys had a good Memorial Day. Was a bit of a tough one as it's the first without my maternal grandfather. He fought in WWII and fought Nazis in the ETO. Killed a bunch with a .50 cal once. RIP grandpa.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Words ans phrases have different meanings over the years. 200+ years ago, when the founding fathers wrote the 2nd Amendment, "well regulated" meant well trained. And militia had the definition of any able bodied male 15 to 45. Word's meanings change dude.

So by this very logic, the right to bear arms could have morphed entirely as well to something other than the literal approach that 2A groups advocate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Militia didn't mean all able bodied males, although those are the people typically expected to fill the ranks. The militia was basically proto-NG and the state's personal armies. The idea was that the states did not trust a strong federal government with a large central army to be anything other than tyrannical, so each state would instead field it's own army to sort out problems. This flopped hardcore because just summoning local farmers and craftsmen with no training and sending them out to fight natives just got a whole lot of people killed. The militia concept scrapped and the federal army funded in order to take care of the borders and any conflict.

The second amendment wasn't drafted so that every man would have a gun. That's preposterous to even think about because they only gave a gently caress about arming the right people. The entire point of it was to guarantee that states could have their own private armies, which failed miserably.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

Yankees are still the baseball team people like if they don't know much bout baseball, kind of like the cowboys were before the patriots took over that role.

They could be rooting for anybody but they’re booing Rudy and that’s cool so what’s your point

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Okay but being a descriprivist and a constitutionalist at the same time just means they're acting entirely in bad faith

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why debate guns anyway the issue is basically settled. The 2a folks are sore winners.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No poo poo. The point was that the right wing act like literalists when it comes to the 2nd Amendment in general but suddenly find a lot of room for interpretation when people propose regulation.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 29, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Regardless of REEEEE GUNS

I hope you guys had a good Memorial Day. Was a bit of a tough one as it's the first without my maternal grandfather. He fought in WWII and fought Nazis in the ETO. Killed a bunch with a .50 cal once. RIP grandpa.

:911:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Our media really need to be held to account for this sort of bullshit because they made a HUGE deal of it

To be fair, as someone who was shown a former meth house by a realtor who allegedly had no idea, meth heads gently caress up a house in insanely dangerous and insipid ways.

Like roof flashing being ripped off and (I'm guessing) sold as scrap, then the gaping holes patched over with tar, the wiring inside being butchered and spliced all to hell so (assuming) as much of it could be sold off for scrap as possible, plumbing in a similar situation but the cut pipe ends poorly capped off, and that's not counting the lack of maintenance. The ceramic chimney sleeve was shattered into a mass of rubble inside the chimney, multiple small gas leaks from the gas lines, the heat exchanger on the furnace cracked all over, and of course the floor, ceiling, and walls needing to be covered in multiple coats of kilz (or just be ripped out and replaced) due to the smoking and whatever else residue. They also rigged an empty breaker box up as a wall safe and bolted it into the studs.

Not that it's completely unsellable, just that you need a drat good inspector just to catch everything in time and then you're going to be paying tens of thousands of dollars just making it safe for long term habitation. There's probably similar concerns with the exteriors of houses adjacent to meth houses, who the gently caress knows what's been pulled off for nickels at the scrap yard.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, there's no question that meth labs and dens could accumulate dangerous levels of contamination (often from the other chemicals used in creating it rather than the meth itself.) As Brute Squad pointed out, labs are becoming rarer, although you wouldn't think it if you watched the news. The places the police used to raid were often demolition jobs.

The problem in NZ was that people started believing that tiny traces of it absorbed by the walls of a place were the health hazard and sale of houses became conditional on getting a meth test done. A positive result would mean getting tens of thousands of dollars of remedial work in places where usage was irregular at best, even if there were no other signs of manufacture. Even when a safe level of contamination was standardized, it was far too low. The worst part is that the state landlord has kicked a lot of the country's poorest people from houses which are perfectly acceptable to live in.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So I can tell grandpa to get reckt?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Do you advocate limiting guns to the well trained and physically / mentally healthy then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Kristi Yamaguchi you heathen
She was amazing. Then again, Katarina Witt was too.

• Locked thread