Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also I guess I am sort of in the minority because I really liked Rogue One and The Last Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

Yeah that would actually be a cool movie. I did like the end with Qira, because it was somewhat ambiguous. Like she def wants that power but it also looked like she had to take it to protect Han. Lots of fun stuff you could do with Crimson Dawn moving forward.

For all it's obvious flaws, you can't say Solo doesn't bring new things to the table. It does some world building to get things past lightside/darkside rebellion/empire retreading.

- The crime syndicates actually get expanded upon and you see their effects on those caught in their path. Qira is likely on a righteous quest to end one of those syndicates.
- A major character meaningfully advocates for droids' rights. They could easily :techno: L3 back into existence to pursue that further.
- Chewie's planet has been enslaved and scattered to the wind, and he wants to free them, sounds like a good Solo sequel to me.

-

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Also I guess I am sort of in the minority because I really liked Rogue One and The Last Jedi.

They both kicked rear end.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

they're both flawed but interesting enough that i can mostly overlook 'em

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I liked Rogue One a lot. I like parts of Last Jedi didn't hate it just would have like some changes to it. That throne room scene is one of the coolest scenes in all of Star Wars. Kylo and Rey stuff was really good. Mainly I would have just cut almost all of Finn's stuff because it felt like pointless screen time. Also cut the yo mama joke.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PostNouveau posted:

It's not a trainwreck, it's meh and very, very predictable.

It is absolutely a trainwreck and boring. There’s even a literal boring trainwreck in the film itself.

The fact that fans are largely okay with Solo points to astonishingly low standards so long as they feel they are being catered to.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Rogue One was watchable. I am excitedly waiting for a Jek Porkins movie though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, they're the good ones. The Disney Star Warses are batting .500

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’m dubious of Kennedy now tbh. I think she’s cool but some of these choices are just baffling. They seem so afraid of allowing Star Wars to be anything other than a prestige picture. And their rushed productions and weird ways of creating them (writing TLJ when TFA is still being edited/shooting).

Just because you don't pay attention to or have any personal interest in any of the side projects or TV shows doesn't mean she's afraid to make SWars anything but a prestige picture. They've done quite a few things with the franchise since she's been at the helm.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Raccooon posted:

Whats with all the hate at Kennedy? I saw some but haven't followed the controversy closely. Is it just she is a woman and runs Lucasfilm?

It's exactly that. I rarely see criticism of her that isn't sexist or misogynistic in nature. They don't like JJ or Rian either but they're going to hate any man who works for a woman hashtag cucked. They also hated Lucas. Like who could run Lucasfilm that they wouldn't hate? These fans are never going to be satisfied because you can never be a kid again and experience Star Wars the way you first did. It's not for them anymore, if it ever was, and they can't accept that so they will blame whomever they can.

Hollismason posted:

The Last Jedi is legit my second favorite of the series after Empire. I like Rogue One well enough.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 29, 2018

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

clown shoes posted:

It's exactly that. I rarely see criticism of her that isn't sexist or misogynistic in nature. They don't like JJ or Rian either but they're going to hate any man who works for a woman hashtag cucked. They also hated Lucas. Like who could run Lucasfilm that they wouldn't hate? These fans are never going to be satisfied because you can never be a kid again and experience Star Wars the way you first did. It's not for them anymore, if it ever was, and they can't accept that so they will blame whomever they can.

It so loving weird. I know anti-feminism has been a thing for a long time. But, there was a major change around 2013-2014. Like, a milder anger turned into rage.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It is absolutely a trainwreck and boring. There’s even a literal boring trainwreck in the film itself.

I wouldn't say it's boring. Predictable, but it zips along.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AndyElusive posted:

Just because you don't pay attention to or have any personal interest in any of the side projects or TV shows doesn't mean she's afraid to make SWars anything but a prestige picture. They've done quite a few things with the franchise since she's been at the helm.

Han Solo could’ve been a silly fun adventure movie but instead became a bland ugly drab mediocre product.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Nah man, I'm with you on that one. Though, us and many others appear to share astonishingly low standards compared to the enlightened connoisseurs of exquisite science fantasy cinema here in CD.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

Han Solo could’ve been a silly fun adventure movie but instead became a bland ugly drab mediocre product.

I feel like you need to talk to the projectionist or something...I never found Solo to be drab; and "a fun adventure or romp" is how I've been describing Solo to everyone

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

That's not really a response to what I said, but I hear what you're saying. I just don't agree with you. I'm not ever going to say any Star Wars movie is perfect and outside the realm of criticism though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

people have been reporting how dark it was, so it wasn’t just me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AndyElusive posted:

That's not really a response to what I said, but I hear what you're saying. I just don't agree with you. I'm not ever going to say any Star Wars movie is perfect and outside the realm of criticism though.

I don’t know what you were saying then. I have no interest in the TV shows or books. It’s just the movies I’m going to look at, and while I think TFA is fun and TLJ is incredible...I have this sinking feeling that it isn’t working out too well. Like at the end of all this, I don’t think it’ll be remembered fondly as a high point in Star Wars.

Which is a bit of a downer.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know what you were saying then. I have no interest in the TV shows or books. It’s just the movies I’m going to look at, and while I think TFA is fun and TLJ is incredible...I have this sinking feeling that it isn’t working out too well. Like at the end of all this, I don’t think it’ll be remembered fondly as a high point in Star Wars.

Which is a bit of a downer.

I was trying to convey that Star Wars is more than just a movie franchise and that it has been for a long time now. Your perception of the brand and how it's doing or where it's going is based on a single, but inarguably large facet of it. Regardless of what you actually want to pay attention to with the Star Wars logo plastered on it or not.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked Last Jedi but thought Rogue One was trash. The sequel trilogy is flawed but they have likable characters which is enough for me to get a pass. Rogue One had too many nothing unlikable characters. Solo faired a little better in the character department but was still lacking.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I took my kid to see it and the only part he remembers is Darth Maul force grabbing and igniting his light saber. Maybe that should have been the movie. But seriously, can someone please connect the dots between Obiwan chopping him in half and him being a crime syndicate boss then getting shanked by Obi on Tatooine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gohmak posted:

I took my kid to see it and the only part he remembers is Darth Maul force grabbing and igniting his light saber. Maybe that should have been the movie. But seriously, can someone please connect the dots between Obiwan chopping him in half and him being a crime syndicate boss then getting shanked by Obi on Tatooine.

he basically kept himself alive out of pure spite and crawled out of Naboo and got robo legs and slight revenge on Kenobi for chopping him in half and Palpatine for abandoning him and replacing him. To that end, he takes over or eliminates some crime syndicates to basically give himself some power he can wield against Palpatine

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I want a starwars horror movie.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

I want a starwars horror movie.

Han Solo fights zombies on a star destroyer.

That books exists. It is Death Troopers enjoy.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Patch Radical posted:

Is it weird that I'm actually more interested in seeing this now? Like mediocre predictable garbage left me cold, but a full on trainwreck curio has my attention.

The movie is mediocre and predictable. It’s less ambitious in scope than a CW show.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

feedmyleg posted:

Solo being a $40million low-key, single-town Western would have been great. Han Solo spending half his time in drinking establishments, the stakes were small, and the big show-down at the end of the film is a high-noon duel? That'd be fantastic compared to what we got, yeah.

And probably just as many people would have seen it.

The Disney streaming service would be a nice place for films of this scope from both Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios, but unfortunately, there haven't been any reports to that effect just yet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Raccooon posted:

Han Solo fights zombies on a star destroyer.

That books exists. It is Death Troopers enjoy.

The sequel, Red Harvest, is better because it has a Jedi (not Qui-Gon) recite Liam Neeson's "I have a particular set of skills ..." speech from Taken.

I when I say better, I mean god awful

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Davros1 posted:

The sequel, Red Harvest, is better because it has a Jedi (not Qui-Gon) recite Liam Neeson's "I have a particular set of skills ..." speech from Taken.

I when I say better, I mean god awful

Lamo. Holy poo poo I didn't realize there was a sequel

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raccooon posted:

Lamo. Holy poo poo I didn't realize there was a sequel

Don't worry, you didn't miss anything, there isn't.

It's a prequel.

Because if there's one thing with a proven track record in Star Wars, it's prequels.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Timby posted:

Hm, yes, The Last Jedi, the movie that had that awful CinemaScore of ... oh, A? The same as Force Awakens? Wow, fancy that.

Solo also has an A. The prequels had As.

CinemaScore is such a useless metric.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought rogue one was good, in my opinion. So in the new movie did they try to explain what hyperspace fuel is?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Batman v Superman was a B and was a box office success so im not sure why people didn’t turn out to see justice league

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tenzarin posted:

I thought rogue one was good, in my opinion. So in the new movie did they try to explain what hyperspace fuel is?

What explanation is needed other than what is obvious from the name?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah it's refined unobtainium

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Solo also has an A. The prequels had As.

CinemaScore is such a useless metric.

Most people loved the prequels. They were all box office successes too.

Mandrel posted:

Batman v Superman was a B and was a box office success so im not sure why people didn’t turn out to see justice league

Man of Steel before it had A-. It's fair to say this is why many watched BvS. I think JL's problem might be WB keep telling people that the movie will be different than MoS and BvS which is actually a turn off.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Saw this today and was really entertained. Given everything that happened I expected it to be bad and hate it, but I thought it was a fun movie. There’s not really a point to it and I feel no need to watch it again but at no point did I regret going to see it.

I was REALLY surprised by Ehrenreich. I thought he killed it.

They killed this by releasing it on Memorial Day weekend. I don’t think it’s a Star Wars backlash at all. It’s a stand-alone movie that was never going to have the appeal of an episodic Star Wars movie and they released it on a weekend where people had other poo poo to do.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Well I see why Ehrenreich needed that acting coach. He somehow puts the emphasis on the wrong part of every. single. line. It was hard to watch.

I disagree with the countless reviewers who said he bears no resemblance to young Harrison Ford though. He's clearly trying his absolutest hardest to imitate Ford's performance. He's just terrible at it. He was great in Hail Ceasar! so idk what happened here.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

friendly 2 da void posted:

Well I see why Ehrenreich needed that acting coach. He somehow puts the emphasis on the wrong part of every. single. line. It was hard to watch.

I disagree with the countless reviewers who said he bears no resemblance to young Harrison Ford though. He's clearly trying his absolutest hardest to imitate Ford's performance. He's just terrible at it. He was great in Hail Ceasar! so idk what happened here.

The Coens know how to direct actors

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

friendly 2 da void posted:

what happened is they told him to imitate harrison ford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

sportsgenius86 posted:

There’s not really a point to it

I think this was actually the biggest factor hurting it at the box office, though. Rogue One had its problems and didn't need to exist, either, but at least that addressed an underexplored plot point from the very first lines of the Episode IV title crawl, and at least it was primarily centered around new characters.

Han Solo, though? He's an archetypal "dashing scoundrel with a heart of gold" character that's been done many times before and since 1977. Not that there's anything wrong with him being an archetype - he's one of the very best examples of it - but no one except possibly Lawrence Kasdan thought he needed an origin story, and there was no way to sell it as anything but superfluous.