Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fartbox posted:

is it possible... that they are both good? ?????????

That's not how this works. Listen: we throw both of them in an arena, whichever one is the stronger artist kills the other, and then they earn the right to lead the attack on Big Falcon on this weeks episode of Voltes V.

Like, critique the system as much as you want, but until you can come up with a better one, this is how it's going to go.

Seriously, though:

Mordaedil posted:

Please read both comics guys. You won't hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I prefer ONE's original version becuase I feel that Murata's version halts the comedic pacing in order to deliver more big spectacle fights (the anime version even moreso). Since I prefer the comedy aspect of One Punch Man I like the webcomic version the most.

However the big spectacle fights can be fun in themselves so Murata's version is cool and good even if it's not my favorite. Having more versions of OPM with different focuses means more OPM in general.

TL;DR

Mordaedil posted:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

no

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zartosht posted:

I'll just go ahead and say it: Murata is vastly overrated. Sure, he's an excellent draftsman who produces high-quality, detailed art, but he doesn't have an ounce of the creativity that ONE does. Remember, ONE designed all the characters, and does storyboards for the manga chapters (and of course the writing). Everything that actually makes OPM great comes from ONE.

Read the original. :colbert:

Creativity is overrated. Not that ONE isn't exceptional, but people like Murata—prolific while maintaining a good standard of quality—are just as exceptional.

I do prefer the original webcomic for being more of a true sendup of shonen, but I also agree with,

Mordaedil posted:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I love both the ONE version and the Murata version

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thing to notice:
Murata in his recent 100 page updates is putting out better art than the beginning of the manga

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Mordaedil posted:

I hate it. I shan't continue reading this eyesore. :colbert:

Also, Murata is still bad at drawing clothed women, and he'll probably never improve.

And More fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 28, 2018

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Well, if he must draw them without clothes, so be it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I would be 100% a-okay if Fubuki was just drawn completely nude from now on yeah

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What gets me about Murata is how... top-tier western-looking, his panel layout and action flow is. I’m not saying the western superhero style is better, just that the action from panel to panel is something I’m used to following and can read easily - and Murata’s style is as easy to follow as that. I can think of plenty of manga where I can barely follow what’s going on due to the different sensibilities about how panels should be laid out and action should flow (maybe some of those were just bad comics, I dunno) and some western comics are hard to read too, but because I know the ‘language’ of superhero comics I can understand all but the worst of them; meanwhile, Murata and One are here putting out something I can read with little effort.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Gologle posted:

I would be 100% a-okay if Fubuki was just drawn completely nude from now on yeah

Blizzard of Hell would be v. appropriate then since she'd be freezing her rear end off. I think I'd only be okay with it if she'd start ranting about the philosophy behind nudism all the time.

VanSandman posted:

What gets me about Murata is how... top-tier western-looking, his panel layout and action flow is. I'm not saying the western superhero style is better, just that the action from panel to panel is something I'm used to following and can read easily - and Murata's style is as easy to follow as that. I can think of plenty of manga where I can barely follow what's going on due to the different sensibilities about how panels should be laid out and action should flow (maybe some of those were just bad comics, I dunno) and some western comics are hard to read too, but because I know the ‘language‘ of superhero comics I can understand all but the worst of them; meanwhile, Murata and One are here putting out something I can read with little effort.

That just reminds me of this one blog that outlines how awesome the flow of action in Dragonball is, and then spends two chapters making GBS threads on some random Western comic.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Gologle posted:

:chloe:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The women in Eyeshield 21 were all drawn fine. Just something about drawing Fubuki and Tatsumaki makes him forget how clothes work. Garou, too.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Gologle posted:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

mabels big day posted:

Sacrifices must be made.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's cool there are three ways to experience Onepunch-Man and all of them are good.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Who would be the worst "artist" to get ahold of the OPM license? I just wanna imagine how much worse it could be.

I vote for Michael Bay's OPM live action adaptation.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Zack Snyder

Zero jokes. Saitama brutally murders everyone he meets. Fubuki becomes a stripper. Genos is unchanged

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

graham cracker posted:

Who would be the worst "artist" to get ahold of the OPM license? I just wanna imagine how much worse it could be.

You're casting a wide net with that one. There a thousand different directions you could take the concepts and I doubt more than few of them would be as interesting what ONE did in his versions. Which artist's version would be worst largely depends on what flavor of different you least appreciate.

That said, Frank Miller.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SpacePig posted:

The women in Eyeshield 21 were all drawn fine. Just something about drawing Fubuki and Tatsumaki makes him forget how clothes work. Garou, too.

It's just that skin-tight vacuum sealed costume thing that all female superheroes seem to have. Marvel comics do the same thing.

Why is her navel visible, is this body paint?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Super heroes are just an excuse to draw naked people. :colbert:

It really does just parse like it's body paint.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There is no way JD Staff is remotely going to do this justice

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

mabels big day posted:

Hopefully he has a heater in his studio during the winter.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Murata draws a lot of half naked dudes as well

Garou has basically been wearing paint this whole time as well

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the times genos loses his artificial skin, he's basically drawing him naked

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Well, we all saw Garou's gaping hole last chapter I guess.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwarzwald posted:

You're casting a wide net with that one. There a thousand different directions you could take the concepts and I doubt more than few of them would be as interesting what ONE did in his versions. Which artist's version would be worst largely depends on what flavor of different you least appreciate.

That said, Frank Miller.

It would end with Saitama being arrested for stealing because he can't afford the rent, and during the investigation people realize he's the maniac who's been wreaking havoc and is sentenced to the electric chair. Genos implores him to escape or do something but Saitama just accepts his destiny. In a Lars Von Trier fashion he regrets a few seconds after and screams in despair when the sedatives kick in.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elentor posted:

It would end with Saitama being arrested for stealing because he can't afford the rent, and during the investigation people realize he's the maniac who's been wreaking havoc and is sentenced to the electric chair. Genos implores him to escape or do something but Saitama just accepts his destiny. In a Lars Von Trier fashion he regrets a few seconds after and screams in despair when the sedatives kick in.

Five hours later, the electric chair has still done nothing.

Everyone is just increasingly disgruntled, the sedatives have worn off, and when Mumen Rider eventually runs into the room with a pardon, they just kind of shove Saitama out the door in exhaustion.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

graham cracker posted:

Tim B^Uckley. It's all characters reciting badly drawn and badly executed juvenile jokes.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bisse posted:

Tim B^Uckley. It's all characters reciting badly drawn and badly executed juvenile jokes.

He qualifies as an artist? Fails the Capote test. Figure that sonofabitch is more of a «drawer».

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Gologle posted:

I would be 100% a-okay if Garou was just drawn completely nude from now on yeah

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

He qualifies as an artist? Fails the Capote test. Figure that sonofabitch is more of a «drawer».

Yes, because everybody qualifies as an artist, you just might not be a very good one, or a well-trained one and you can practice more than one art in a single medium. You can draw poo poo textures for video games for a living and still qualify as an artist.

Artists have spent years devaluing the term because of lovely regulations and in order to get paid for work.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

graham cracker posted:

The guy who does XKCD.

Also the American comic version would have Saitama as Hancock but worse. Just a drunk rear end in a top hat. Also he'd either have a beard, 5 o'clock shadow or stubble.

Also, even if it's just baby steps, people have improved though.

Tim Buckley:

Rob Liefeld:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 29, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Still wont draw feet, I see.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

graham cracker posted:

Tite Kubo. Lets start this derail up again.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Mordaedil posted:

Yes, because everybody qualifies as an artist, you just might not be a very good one, or a well-trained one and you can practice more than one art in a single medium. You can draw poo poo textures for video games for a living and still qualify as an artist.

Artists have spent years devaluing the term because of lovely regulations and in order to get paid for work.

Of course, people also have really strange ideas as to what does and does not constitute art. Better to be a bit liberal with your definition. See: Salon des Refusés.

Zzulu posted:

Murata draws a lot of half naked dudes as well

Garou has basically been wearing paint this whole time as well

You're right. I take it all back. Murata is also bad at drawing clothed men.

And More fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 29, 2018

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

I love both the ONE version and the Murata version

:same:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

And More posted:

You're right. I take it all back. Murata is also bad at drawing clothed men.

Murata's just bad at drawing clothes, except for that one time he drew Fubuki in a frilly dress in teaser. And then the chapter was released and she was back in her black, skin-hugging thing instead of the frilly dress.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Elfface posted:

I would be 100% a-okay if Garou was just drawn completely nude from now on yeah

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe