Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

Oh, I think we have raspberries going crazy on the other side of the path there, maybe they're friends? I didn't realize they grew as a vine, I thought they were shrubs, but googling tells me they can also be vines. We definitely can't let more bramble take over the property though.

That's probably a raspberry then, they can send out runners crazy far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My wife planted raspberries by our walking path even though I pleaded with her not to, and now we can't use the walking path :downs:

I love her so

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Whats stopping either of you from trimming them so you can use the walking path? Idgi

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

She doesn't want to.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I try to make at least one pie from foraged blackberries every summer. They're so easy to spot along roadsides.

while i wouldn't recommend eating roadside plants, we did pick a lot of raspberries up by the library for several years growing up :3: my dad made a pie once from them, too. yum

CAN'T WAIT TIL PEACH AND CHERRY SEASON :woop:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Fitzy Fitz posted:

She doesn't want to.

Tell her it's good for the plant too?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
violent sobbing noooooooooooooo!

Please please please please don’t plant brambles/blackberries in the ground, if you really have to do it plant them in sacks.

You may be really amazing at keeping them under control, the people who come after you even in 50 years time may not be. If you think English ivy is a problem then trust me they are nothing compared with brambles. About 50 years ago some idiot ex-pat Brit missed his blackberry and Apple pies so much that he brought over a load to Victoria in Australia, they spread faster than the wildfires all over Australia and are strangling and killing all the native plants and putting the bird population at risk. :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I used to do invasive plant removal for a living... As I said, I pleaded.

The good news is that it will have to battle it out with the resident invasive ivy, bamboo, wisteria, honeysuckle, privet (two varieties!), nandina, elaeagnus, and calary pears. People ruined this neighborhood decades ago.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Don't worry in 50 years time we'll be happy if anything can grow!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's the same as the raspberries we have. My sister says the bramble is okay as long as it doesn't get close to the path, so we'll see. We are pretty on it with the bramble control. (Not our doing, house came with raspberries and bamboo and English ivy) I need to get netting if we want to harvest berries, right?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hmm, I planted blackberries in one of our raised garden beds this spring. Am I a bad person? I could be convinced to pot them. I live in a city.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Hmm, I planted blackberries in one of our raised garden beds this spring. Am I a bad person? I could be convinced to pot them. I live in a city.

I have blackberries and raspberries in two raised garden beds, they are very aggressive in their spreading but not at ALL unmanageable unless you completely ignored them for years. Destroy them when you leave if you're that worried about it

I keep my ivy in a little pot, I'm not thatttt crazy

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross-posting from the herb thread (got that wrong): I've got a couple of indoor plants (San Pedro cactus, Nepenthes pitcher plant and Tradescantia zebrina) which I'm worried about over watering or under watering. I bought one of those cheap 3-1 probes to test the moisture however I think it's broken. Even in a glass of water it always reads the high side of dry, is that right? The light meter part of it seems to work OK at least.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Oh man my seeds came! I think I need to get a heating pad to germinate some of these peppers/the cacti mix. My plan is to start them indoors or in the greenhouse and then move 1/3rd to planters beds, 1/3rd to pots, 1/3rd to the greenhouse. Hopefully I'll be able to keep both the greenhouse and potted plants through the fall/winter. Anyone have any experience with Baker Creek Heirloom seeds or specifically..

Peppers: Bisquinho, Sugar Rush Peach, Buena Mulata, Alaku Sarga Szentes, Aji Charapita (so excited for this one after trying them in Peru), Brazilian Starfish, Carolina Reaper
Turnips: Takinashi, Nagasaki Akari Kabu
Random: Goji berry, Glass corn, Atomic grape tomatoes, random cacti mix

I've had mixed luck germinating but I'm feeling lucky this time around :D

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Oh poo poo I want to grow those Atomic grape tomatoes next year.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I'm a little worried after reading reviews but the negative comments felt like any bad tomato luck... varied taste, splitting etc. But look at them! So pretty

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Visited my parents last night and the apple trees are blooming like crazy

Checked out the greenhouse too, the tomato plants (2200 that will be split into 4400 plants later) arrived 3 weeks ago:

Weather has been exceptionally good for tomatoes, these plants were pretty shoddy when we got them, to the point the seller struck 40% of the price as an apology. Turns out they recovered beyond expectations. Mom thought the season might've been ruined at first. P.S. tomatoes here are picked when they turn orange/red, not green.

For personal consumption also a few cucumber plants

Salads and herbs. Not pictured, the bellpeppers, chiles and water melons. Also some grapevines in a smaller greenhouse elsewhere.

And these guys keep everything running, can't work here if you're afraid of bumblebees and flying insects in general.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is that a box of bees? Do they just build a nest(?) by themselves or is it in that box too?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's a commercially grown bumblebee nest, they're bought ready to use and keep going until the hive gets old and dies. Sterile hives so they don't make more.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah I used to do invasive plant removal for a living... As I said, I pleaded.

The good news is that it will have to battle it out with the resident invasive ivy, bamboo, wisteria, honeysuckle, privet (two varieties!), nandina, elaeagnus, and calary pears. People ruined this neighborhood decades ago.

glyphosate in the dark of the night

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Been thinking, we got a really dumb system for our yard. All the rainwater from the gutters and downspouts go straight into wells around the corners and they're connected via french drains so when they become full enough the water flows away form the yard into the ditch. Well we've had 4 weeks without rain now and possibly the hottest May on the records.

What a stupid waste of water. Gonna get some rain barrels.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

What a stupid waste of water. Gonna get some rain barrels.

I've been thinking the same thing. There's always such a huge difference in development after a good rain versus a good soak with the muni water. My indoor plants would thank me too. I could also be capturing our A/C condensate to those ends :thunk:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

And these guys keep everything running, can't work here if you're afraid of bumblebees and flying insects in general.

What a fascinating thing. Looks like you just raise one end of the cardboard lid to reveal the entrance and exit slots for the bees and off they go.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

heating pad for germination: yay or nay?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

For some plants, sure. I'm growing some T. chantrieri and they supposedly like their roots warm.

Edit: that said, in pretty sure a heating pad is unnecessary for most plants.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Just googled that, awesome plant

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

anatomi posted:

T. chantrieri

This thing makes me uncomfortable to look at.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It's a commercially grown bumblebee nest, they're bought ready to use and keep going until the hive gets old and dies. Sterile hives so they don't make more.

Why sterile? Is it to make sure you stay locked in and buy more bees? I would imagine it is preferable to have sustained hives in your area.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

VERTiG0 posted:

This thing makes me uncomfortable to look at.

It's pretty cool! Also trying to grow T. integrifolia. It has white bracts and purple flowers, a lovely combination.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

B33rChiller posted:

Why sterile? Is it to make sure you stay locked in and buy more bees? I would imagine it is preferable to have sustained hives in your area.

Yeah that's it basically. It'd be killing their own profit model otherwise.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Normally I'd scoff when anyone tries to get me concerned about bee exploitation, but that...

...those poor bees!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don’t bees die off every year and after they have mated with the queen anyway?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

And bumblebee hives have a lifespan measured in months anyway.

e: I see you guys referring to them as bees but they are bumblebees. Is that just how it goes in english? Or is there a misunderstanding?

e2: For honeybees the whole hive lives through the winter.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 30, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If Im honest I’m referring to them as bees because I’m completely ignorent of bee types.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bumblebees are a type of bee lmao. It's in the name.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It feels wrong to me to refer to bumblebees as bees, when I say bees I think of the small honey bee type. Maybe it's the language because they don't sound alike at all in my native language (swedish).

Bumblebee = Humla
Honey bee = Bi

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's interesting! I guess it would be like if someone bought a box of ladybugs but said "Yes I got a box of beetles for my aphid problem"

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Bumblebees are part of the same huge-rear end family that honeybees belong to, but they're a different genus.

Saying bumblebees and honeybees are the same thing is sort of like saying jackdaws and crows are the same thing. Which depending on your perspective (e.g. ecological niche) might as well be true.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No one's saying they're all the same we're saying they're both bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That's fair. However, for a lot of people "bee" is synonymous with "honeybee", not "every member in the bee superfamily".

Edit: not trying to argue btw, just think the discussion is interesting.

On the subject, it seems like the honeybee hive that took up residence in a brick wall in our yard didn't survive the winter. :(

anatomi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 30, 2018