Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I was in the Hong Kong airport for 8 hours so I looked around for a place to eat. Almost everywhere was a ton of meat but one of the nice restaurants had a menu with a nice little vegan section which was cool. Anyways here's some more food. They're all basically quick/comfort meals cuz I'm trying to clear out my pantry:

Koshari

Malaysian Fried Noodles

Fried Rice with whatever vegetables I was trying to finish off

Potentially the laziest possible meal: hummus noodles, which is just noodles + hummus + some of the pasta water + some red pepper flakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Potentially the laziest possible meal: hummus noodles, which is just noodles + hummus + some of the pasta water + some red pepper flakes

God Bless This Goon.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I made Ful Medames for the first time using this recipe.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/ful-medames-slow-cooked-fava-beans-lentils

It wasn't great, but I've heard good things about this dish so if anyone has a favourite recipe they'd like to share I'm keen to try it again.

e. also this dish is easily the most disgusting looking meal I've ever made.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Fava beans is an acquired taste, I think. Also, there's different kinds of fava beans and their taste is pretty different. The big white ones have a really mild taste, and work better for Italian/Maghrebi soup or puree type recipes. What I use is the small brown ones (because they grow in Finland) which have a really strong taste.

I donj't use lentils, but I guess they can't hurt. The spices I use vary, but cumin is essential. I also add tahini, and what with the olive oil too, it gets reallly filling. Don't skimp on the lemon juice either. And I usually serve it with tomatoes, parsley and green onions. And/or with roasted veggies

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Zenithe posted:

It wasn't great, but I've heard good things about this dish so if anyone has a favourite recipe they'd like to share I'm keen to try it again.

I absolutely love ful. Try the Serious Eats version. Loads of lemon juice and tahini are the key.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Lots of people like it with garlic (fried up in some olive oil first). You also have to figure out how much olive oil, lemon juice, and salt you want on it, since everyone's got different preferences. Common toppings include sliced tomatoes and diced onions, which might make you enjoy it more.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Over memorial day weekend we made this turtle cake, it was amazing.

https://www.unconventionalbaker.com/recipes/raw-caramel-pecan-cheesecake/

Also some kickass kale salad that we make every so often and a (sorry thread) non-vegan risotto mostly to appease my wife's picky sister. http://ohsheglows.com/2013/11/25/the-best-shredded-kale-salad/ . The risotto is mostly a holiday thing for family crap (ignore) but we make this kale salad constantly because it's delicious.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 29, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Zenithe posted:

Think of it as a real simple recipe with basic flavours, like the bean version of the pasta dish aglio e olio. It can be good but there's nowhere to hide if quality of ingredients aren't top notch. Has to be freshly roasted and ground cumin, has to be a good lemon, has to be not too stale beans.

Personally I skip simpler recipes like that and the only bean recipes I cook are either mire poix, sofrito, trinity or curry based - so recipes from Europe, America, Mexico, Caribbean and Indian. (exception of chickpea based ones, ie I don't have the same restrictions on them and they work well in simpler dishes)
I start with either a pantry worth of curry spices for Indian, or I only use recepies based on needs celery, onion, garlic, carrot or capsicum (mire poix, sofrito, trinity based ones).
All my bean recipes are ones that need herbs (parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary or coriander), needs pepper or chilli, needs spice like cumin, coriander, allspice, paprika or tumeric. Needs umami either from tomato paste, soy or something (taste it and if it's not there add it with those is my method), and pro move is if you separately caramelize the onions first and then remove ( to add back later after sauteing the rest of the veg and spices) there will be sweetness you can balance with lemon juice, lime, apple cider/red wine/balsamic vinegar (or cheat and add brown sugar)
E: of course lemon can work with a recipe that just has some rich fruity evoo drizzled on top and parsley as well, no need for sugar or caramelizing onions really - I'm just a big fan of sofritto/mirepoix or trinity based recipes that have some depth and sweetness.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 3, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

As a snack I've been oven roasting chickpeas and adding a spice mix. Seriously, if you have some berbere, cook the chickpeas, bake them until crispy and then load it with spice.

It's really tasty and really easy. Ras El Hanout and Cajun spices were good too, but berbere was the clear winner.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Curry powder is also awesome on roasted chickpeas.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

The Midniter posted:

Curry powder is also awesome on roasted chickpeas.

I reckon either sumac or garam masala would be great too. I usually just use fresh ground cumin though.

I made my own berbere spice mix about a year ago and I must of added too much of something, or used something stale because while it smelled great when fried something in it was overbearing in my bean stews.
E; My berbere was:
Makes about 4T, most recipes only need 2T
2T sweet paprika – (maybe add ¼ tsp smoked paprika too.)
2 tsp chilli powder or flakes (I used my own grown chillies that were really hot so I cut back here, 1-2 T is the norm)
1 tsp cumin seeds or powdered cumin
1/2 tsp coriander seed (or powder)
1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fenugreek seed (or powder)
1/4 tsp black peppercorns
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

It could have old ground cloves or fenugreek that put me off it

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 11, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Curried Scalloped Potatoes with Coconut Milk from Afro Vegan

I've never tried Jamaican curry before, it seems closest to the mild japanese style of curry. This is my new comfort food, really good.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I literally bought the ingredients for those a few days ago because I'm trying to use up a bunch of cans of coconut milk! When I make them I cut the potatoes a little thinner and I put much more bread crumb topping on.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I didn't use any bread crumbs, because I forgot to buy them. I'm sure that would make it tastier though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I was in the Hong Kong airport for 8 hours so I looked around for a place to eat. Almost everywhere was a ton of meat but one of the nice restaurants had a menu with a nice little vegan section which was cool. Anyways here's some more food. They're all basically quick/comfort meals cuz I'm trying to clear out my pantry:

Koshari

You got a working recipe for that? Because that looks extremely delicious.

Also, i wouldn't ever have thought to put hummus on noodles. I eat a bunch of it daily (mostly mixed with some cheap avocado as sandwich spread), and I'm also putting it on warm veggies and quesadillas a lot. But noodles? Gotta check that out.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Lord Stimperor posted:

Also, i wouldn't ever have thought to put hummus on noodles.

Best easiest lazy dish. I'll second that you should do this. Even better is if you have some fresh herbs handy to rip up and throw on top.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lord Stimperor posted:

You got a working recipe for that? Because that looks extremely delicious.
I realized I called this koshari, which is a mistake - it's mujadra. (Those are two Middle Eastern comfort foods that I always run together in my mind.) I don't use a recipe really, but here's what I do: cook brown lentils until they're soft enough to fully soften when you cook them with the rice. In a large pot, saute some diced onions in olive oil until brown (takes a while). Add rice, stir a bit to toast, and then add enough water to cook the rice, plus the lentils. Add salt and pepper, cover, and cook until the rice and lentils are done. All the while, carmelize some thinly sliced onions and put them on top at the end. You can also add some or all of the following spices: cinnamon, allspice, coriander, cumin, turmeric.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I realized I called this koshari, which is a mistake - it's mujadra. (Those are two Middle Eastern comfort foods that I always run together in my mind.) I don't use a recipe really, but here's what I do: cook brown lentils until they're soft enough to fully soften when you cook them with the rice. In a large pot, saute some diced onions in olive oil until brown (takes a while). Add rice, stir a bit to toast, and then add enough water to cook the rice, plus the lentils. Add salt and pepper, cover, and cook until the rice and lentils are done. All the while, carmelize some thinly sliced onions and put them on top at the end. You can also add some or all of the following spices: cinnamon, allspice, coriander, cumin, turmeric.

Oooh I will have to show this to my girlfriend. That spice palette is basically what she lives for. I'm deffo gonna put this on our meal schedule. Thanks, and I'll report back!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Has anyone cooked with Nopales? Saw some at the store and was curious about the flavor.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They taste like, uh... I Googled it and one person said "like green beans but more acidic" which I guess is more or less right. They're pretty great, if you ask me, although you do want to be careful handling them in case a spike didn't get removed. Something like this soup is a nice easy place to start. They're good for making tacos.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can I have a suggestion for a really cheap / easy recipe I can cook for someone? I'm not vegan, but I'd like to cook a meal for someone who is vegan. Problem is, not having cooked a lot of food that would be vegan, I don't really know what would be a good and simple-ish dish. I've got about whatever cooking implement I'd need probably (food processor, cast iron, pressure cooker, etc).

I have dino's book, but I'm willing to try whatever.

I was thinking this might be good from the OP, but I was wondering if anyone had a comfort food or something they were particularly fond of.

http://www.baketard.com/blog/2015/5/12/chef-chen-dailus-spicy-sesame-noodles-chen-shifu-hong-you-su.html

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

What are you into? Just to narrow things down.

Those noodles are a solid choice, I add some extra stir fried veges to fill it out a bit though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm definitely comfortable with potatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, etc. I just basically wanna cook something this person will like and have it be something easy to not gently caress up

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

This is my current go to, usually in a wrap or tacos. I imagine it's pretty hard to mess up, just make sure the beans are thoroughly cooked before you mash them.

e. Or just use canned ones, but they aren't as good imo.

Zenithe posted:

Made some refried beans with a recipe that worked (I tried a very vanilla pinto bean recipe before and was very meh)

1 1/2 cups of dried black beans
1 white onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp chilli powder (the Indian stuff, probably more if you use a different heat source)
salt, pepper, lemon juice to taste

serve with salsa of tomato, onion, coriander, salt, pepper and lemon juice.

I used a fair bit more oil and salt than I did when I made the pinto bean one, and it made a huge difference.

Heat the oil, add the cumin seeds till they sizzle for a bit, add the paprika and chilli, then the garlic and onion. Add the mashed beans and cook until it's the consistency you want.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I'm traveling from South Carolina to Tennessee to visit my granny. I've been cooking for her whenever I visit. My meal plan is for this trip:

·pan-fried jackfruit BBQ with a mustard sauce, coleslaw with a white bean aioli
·Tomato sandwiches with pesto
·(still thinking what else I can do)

They're not fancy, but it's what I can pack and make quickly. And not likely to trigger the hyper sensitive kitchen smoke detector.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

My "simple vegan meal" is:

Start cooking some brown rice or quinoa however you like it (I like to use veggie broth, maybe add some finely minced jalapeno).

Set oven to preheat to 400.

Chop up a sweet potato (about 3/4" cubes), toss it in olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary. Move to a baking sheet, and roast for 40 min, turning halfway through.

Chop up half an onion, about a cup of brussel sprouts, a head of broccoli, a tomato, a cup of mushrooms, maybe a bell peppe, some asparagus, a chopped summer squash. Toss in olive oil and add some salt free seasoning. Spread on a second baking sheet and add to oven when you turn the sweet potatoes.

Whip together some miso, olive oil, soy sauce, nutritional yeast. Have a beer while you wait for the veggies to finish roasting. Put rice in the bottom of a bowl, top with roasted veggies, top with sauce. Top with any nuts you might have on hand, or some diced avocado. Makes enough for about four servings. You can always add some beans for extra protein, or wilt some greens to add some more micronutrients. Adding some thin sliced purple cabbage is also nice.

Like, it's not that fancy, but it's filling, healthy, full of veggies, and comes together in about 50 minutes, 30 minutes of active time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you all. :)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Malaysia's best breakfast: Roti Canai with Curry Dahl

Supposed to be chana, but I bought way to many red lentils.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another food dump. Still trying to use up some pantry items, so, not a ton of very fancy stuff. I'm moving to India soon so I'm trying to get through things like the 13 cans of coconut milk that I have in my cupboard. I buy them every time they're on sale and never really realized how many I had stockpiled...

Using up some tofu sticks (which unfurl when you soak them) to make... I dunno, it's sort of like clay pot chicken (Chinese dish) but with tofu sticks.

A Sri Lankan red lentil dal (with coconut milk). I've posted this in this thread before except that time I made it with moong dal. This is with masoor dal (red lentils).

Using up some pinto beans to make an unappealing looking dish (this is the morning afterwards, eating it for breakfast cold). Just onions, serrano pepper, garlic, spices, and beans (and oil and salt of course). Basically refried beans except I didn't mash and fry them.

Kala chana. Using up my kala chana. Maybe I shouldn't be cooking Indian food if I'm going to be living there and eating it all the time but whatever.

Sri Lankan spinach tomato curry (using up more coconut milk).

Carrot sweet potato soup (using up MORE coconut milk).

Cherry pie (using up two cans of tart cherries my grandma gave me and that I thought would taste not great, but everyone loved it and one person told me it was his favorite cherry pie he'd ever eaten).

Couscous sweet potato salad. Using up couscous I guess but mostly I made this because I had some tarragon and mint that was starting to wilt.

This is a treasured family recipe known as "cabbage stuff." It is cabbage and pasta. My family is of Eastern European origin.

Black bean potatoes. This is using up my douchi, which are fermented black beans used in Chinese cooking. Good stuff.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Always a great spread, Tycho. Congrats on your impending move to India!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

That black bean potato dish looks great, would you mind sharing the recipe? Also good luck with the move.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Black bean potato recipe. I use more white pepper and five spice and I used green onions instead of leeks because I had no leeks.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Good job managing to eat so much coconut milk. After making a dish with it + leftovers the next day I get tired of it.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I just dump a can into any sort of creamy soup or curry I make, pretty much. Really awesome for potato/corn/Chile chowder too.

Good for fake Mac n creamy noochy sauce stuff too.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Yeah it's a must have in the kitchen. But I need a short break after having eaten it too much.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

If I forget to add something it's the coconut milk.

That's why I either have none, or like 20 cans because of see above.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Every time it's on sale I buy a can or two but I immediately use them with some Thai curry paste for a curry because I love some thai curry.

Most of the time I feel like a thai curry I don't have any coconut milk because I already used it and it's not on sale so I don't bother for a month or two :(
When that happens I do a veg stirfry with fried rice because you can throw anything in it, finish off with some rice wine vinegar, soy, sesame oil, lao gan ma chilli oil, green onions and sesame seeds and dinner is done.
It's a nice change of pace from veg and beans and rice or beans and salad pita wraps etc so that's what I did tonight. Last week was all falafels and salad wraps, week before was black beans or kidney bean chili and rice.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 21, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Black bean potato recipe. I use more white pepper and five spice and I used green onions instead of leeks because I had no leeks.

yeah...im making this tonight. ty.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

My local grocer had chestnuts for real cheap so I bought them. I'll probably roast them, but does anyone have any good recipes that use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’ve been buying those cartons of coconut cream, using a little now, and ice cube tray freezing the rest. Once it’s set rock hard, I transfer to a zip lock bag. It lets me use less at a time, and not lose pantry space on tins of coconut milk.