Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
The keyboard and mouse unfair advantage thing is horseshit.

My brother in law played zillions of hours of Battlefield 3 on Xbox 360 and I had a beta for Battlefield 4, but it was on PC so of course he wanted to check it out. I warned him about other players having mice, so he might not do as well as he did on Xbox. So we plug in the controller and he gets going, and he's just totally slaughtering everyone, it looked like he was having an easier time of it actually.

It's all bullshit and it pisses me off because I'd like to play with my friends on Playstation, but I suck with the controller, I came up with KB+M. It's all the matter of what you've had more practice with. I feel like even if I could prove it, PC elitist douches would still push that narrative anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Oh quit nanking his chain, you know what he means.

:golfclap:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

romanowski posted:

what kind of hosed up mangled hands do you have to not find the ds4 comfortable

Convex thumbstick tops and convex triggers reduce grip. The thumbsticks themselves can be improved (subjectively I guess) by just replacing the sticks outright with Xbox One controller sticks, because they are completely interchangeable. You can't do this with the triggers though. The build quality of the DS4 is also just poo poo. If you haven't experienced a thumbstick module giving out, lucky you. Google it, you'll find tons of reports of them breaking in a particular direction, which pretty much happens if you play any game that requires you to use R3 or L3 a lot while the corresponding stick is not centered. If you do happen to break the module, it's just gone. There's no repairing the module, and while you can technically replace it, it requires desoldering the existing module and soldering a new one in place on the PCB. And on top of that, the texture coating on dual shocks does eventually rub away.

So basically it's fuckin trash. Fortunately the Brook X One adapter exists, which just turns any Xbox One controller into a combination Xbox One/PS4/Xinput/Dinput wireless rechargable controller with drat near no configuration. I got one recently because the DS4 I'd been using broke. It had a little while of getting gradually more annoying to use, until the left thumbstick stopped registering the direction of "up" entirely.

Unfortunately the Xbox One controller has a lovely dpad that feels and sounds like you're breaking it if you do any transitional movement from one direction to any adjacent direction, but on the other hand, most games that use that kind of motion just use the sticks instead these days. The king of first party controllers right now is the Switch Pro, where the only drawback is non-analog triggers, so while it's fine in the context of Switch games, I guess they just banked on never having a decent racing sim.

I guess at the end of the day, at least to me it's not so much that the DS4 is outright uncomfortable, it just has so many significant flaws that it looks like poo poo in comparison to other decent controllers. We're talkin about the thing you use 100% of the time you're actively playing the goddamn game, and the poo poo costs 50 bucks. We're well beyond the era of significant flaws in controllers being acceptable.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 29, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Laslow posted:

My brother in law played zillions of hours of Battlefield 3 on Xbox 360 and I had a beta for Battlefield 4, but it was on PC so of course he wanted to check it out. I warned him about other players having mice, so he might not do as well as he did on Xbox. So we plug in the controller and he gets going, and he's just totally slaughtering everyone, it looked like he was having an easier time of it actually.

It's all bullshit and it pisses me off because I'd like to play with my friends on Playstation, but I suck with the controller, I came up with KB+M. It's all the matter of what you've had more practice with. I feel like even if I could prove it, PC elitist douches would still push that narrative anyway.

source your quotes

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

... a ... r...apanese?

In an alternate timeline there is a 90s movie called Rapanese about a rap-battling Ninja

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Bioshock infinite is a perfectly fine game.

I think the level of insane awe it got on release was a little crazy, but at the same time the backlash is just as crazy. It's not the greatest game of all time, but it's also not one of the worst ever as a ton of people seem to think it is.

It's got amazing visuals, world building is really great and the shooting is honestly pretty fun, yeah the story kinda shits the bed at times but it's not any worse than most other games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like the PS4 controller, but I thought the 360 controller was essentially perfect, so I’m willing to believe that the Xbone controller is fantastic unless they ruined everything.

The first model had really mushy shoulder buttons but the newer revision fixed that and now it’s pretty close to perfect.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Bioshock infinite is a perfectly fine game.

I think the level of insane awe it got on release was a little crazy, but at the same time the backlash is just as crazy. It's not the greatest game of all time, but it's also not one of the worst ever as a ton of people seem to think it is.

It's got amazing visuals, world building is really great and the shooting is honestly pretty fun, yeah the story kinda shits the bed at times but it's not any worse than most other games.

It’s a perfectly good shooter, yeah. I think a lot of the backlash comes from two things:

1. It doesn’t have the same freedom and openness to creative approaches to combat that the other *shock games do. None of the previous ones were just linear shooters, so there was some serious whiplash there.

2. It billed itself as being more of a *shock game than it was, and it billed itself as being a lot smarter and “deeper” than it was. Combine that with the massive praise and it’s understandable that people who didn’t see it that way felt kind of pissed off.

That said it was fun enough that I played through a couple times, and at the time I wasn’t a huge Bioshock fan or anything so I didn’t have that comparison hurting my experience. The ending’s still dumb though.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 29, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Laslow posted:

You can't prove it because it's patently obvious that the average KB+M player will literally demolish the average controller player in an FPS. Pretty sure Microsoft dropped its grand scheme for Xbox and PC cross-platforming for that exact reason.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 has worse tank controls than Resident Evil. They're unplayably bad.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

olives black posted:

Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 has worse tank controls than Resident Evil. They're unplayably bad.

Both games have remakes that make the originals totally obsolete and pointless to play. Twin Snakes and REmake are the only way to play both games.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jeza posted:

You can't prove it because it's patently obvious that the average KB+M player will literally demolish the average controller player in an FPS. Pretty sure Microsoft dropped its grand scheme for Xbox and PC cross-platforming for that exact reason.

was fun being accused of hacking when playing quake 3 on dreamcast. I just plugged in a mouse and keyboard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Both games have remakes that make the originals totally obsolete and pointless to play. Twin Snakes and REmake are the only way to play both games.

It sorta pains me to poo poo on MGS1 but I can't argue with this. I did a full series replay a few years back and MGS1 was just painful. I played it as part of the PS3 MGS collection so it wasn't the Twin Snakes version.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Even though I've finished neither, I feel like Resident Evil is just totally skippable in both forms. RE2 kicks the poo poo out of it in every department.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I still feel like REmake is a legit good game. It's gorgeous and RE 1 is still a landmark game that everyone who is into horror should give a shot at least once.

I'm so loving pumped for REmake 2 though, the rumors are RE 7 level graphics :allears:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I still feel like REmake is a legit good game. It's gorgeous and RE 1 is still a landmark game that everyone who is into horror should give a shot at least once.

I'm so loving pumped for REmake 2 though, the rumors are RE 7 level graphics :allears:

if it doesn't have fixed camera angles and tank controls then it can go to hell :colbert:

(not MGS1 bad, just classic RE bad)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
How the gently caress was MGS1 supposed to control in a 3D space with only a d-pad? Be happy that poo poo wasn't like Resident Evil.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

How the gently caress was MGS1 supposed to control in a 3D space with only a d-pad? Be happy that poo poo wasn't like Resident Evil.

The awkward part with MGS1 is the camera, really. A lot of really important things tend to be outside of your field of vision and you have to rely on the radar a ton, which I don't love. And then there's the super awkward stairwell shootout, which is... just not great.

The movement didn't actually bother me that much, and it's not an awful game by any means, especially given the time when it came out (I remember it was completely mindblowing when it was new), but I don't think the gameplay has aged well at all. Meanwhile I was surprised at how much better playing MGS2 was, really just with the addition of an analog stick and the option to shoot in first person.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I played MGS2 and the big thing for me was the first person view shooting, it's near impossible going back to vanilla MGS1 without that feature in it. There's a good reason that it became standard after 2.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Doom 2016 is a game that starts off and is incredibly badass and cool, but very quickly becomes super repetitive.

By the midpoint of the game everything boils down to walking a few feet, finding some demons, walking a few more feet, bursting open one of those gore sacs and fighting a lot of demons, walking a few more feet into a small puzzle or platforming section.

I know it's the campaign mode in something that's primarily supposed to be about multiplayer, but the multiplayer wasn't all that great anyway.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

signalnoise posted:

Convex thumbstick tops and convex triggers reduce grip. The thumbsticks themselves can be improved (subjectively I guess) by just replacing the sticks outright with Xbox One controller sticks, because they are completely interchangeable. You can't do this with the triggers though. The build quality of the DS4 is also just poo poo. If you haven't experienced a thumbstick module giving out, lucky you. Google it, you'll find tons of reports of them breaking in a particular direction, which pretty much happens if you play any game that requires you to use R3 or L3 a lot while the corresponding stick is not centered. If you do happen to break the module, it's just gone. There's no repairing the module, and while you can technically replace it, it requires desoldering the existing module and soldering a new one in place on the PCB. And on top of that, the texture coating on dual shocks does eventually rub away.

So basically it's fuckin trash. Fortunately the Brook X One adapter exists, which just turns any Xbox One controller into a combination Xbox One/PS4/Xinput/Dinput wireless rechargable controller with drat near no configuration. I got one recently because the DS4 I'd been using broke. It had a little while of getting gradually more annoying to use, until the left thumbstick stopped registering the direction of "up" entirely.

Unfortunately the Xbox One controller has a lovely dpad that feels and sounds like you're breaking it if you do any transitional movement from one direction to any adjacent direction, but on the other hand, most games that use that kind of motion just use the sticks instead these days. The king of first party controllers right now is the Switch Pro, where the only drawback is non-analog triggers, so while it's fine in the context of Switch games, I guess they just banked on never having a decent racing sim.

I guess at the end of the day, at least to me it's not so much that the DS4 is outright uncomfortable, it just has so many significant flaws that it looks like poo poo in comparison to other decent controllers. We're talkin about the thing you use 100% of the time you're actively playing the goddamn game, and the poo poo costs 50 bucks. We're well beyond the era of significant flaws in controllers being acceptable.
Didn't the switch pro have some issues with dead zones on certain directions or did they fix that?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i've been pretty rough on my DS4s since getting a PS4 in 2015 and have run into precisely zero of the issues you've described, maybe like wash your giant ham paws every once in a while so you don't get grease caked up in there or whatever the gently caress you're doing to wreck them so fast

like no grip on the thumbsticks, bitch are you sweating through your palms all day or what lmao

the thumbsticks aren't even convex you dumbshit

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A Fancy Hat posted:

I know it's the campaign mode in something that's primarily supposed to be about multiplayer, but the multiplayer wasn't all that great anyway.

Nobody played DOOM 2016 for the multiplayer.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Nobody played DOOM 2016 for the multiplayer.

I was about to say this. Wasted investment that could've gone into more single player stuff.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I've gone through probably three DS4s because, like every joystick controller ever, one of the sticks gets worn out and is always slightly tilted in one direction. In fact, the one I have now is already at that point. The right stick is always drifting to the upper left.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A Fancy Hat posted:

Doom 2016 is a game that starts off and is incredibly badass and cool, but very quickly becomes super repetitive.

By the midpoint of the game everything boils down to walking a few feet, finding some demons, walking a few more feet, bursting open one of those gore sacs and fighting a lot of demons, walking a few more feet into a small puzzle or platforming section.

The problem with doom 2016 and a lot of the games that try to do what it does is it's just arena after arena fight, which were quite rare in the old school games- doom levels were big areas to be traversed and used hallways, monster closets, traps, and other things to challenge a player who could run faster than a race car.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

doverhog posted:

I finished Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence and it was hard enough even with the constant saving. I guess I agree in principle that checkpoints are better for immersion, but there are several games I just stopped playing because they had a section where you can't save and get booted back to the beginning if you fail.

Youre supposed to play with no reloads per level and pistol start. Hope this helps.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

That said it was fun enough that I played through a couple times, and at the time I wasn’t a huge Bioshock fan or anything so I didn’t have that comparison hurting my experience. The ending’s still dumb though.

If the ending wasn't enough of a gently caress you to the player, burial at sea literally has the devs shouting gently caress you throughout the credits screen.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Justin Godscock posted:

I thought M+K/Controller cross-platform was something the industry considered to be a bad and regretful idea like 10 years ago because M+K is practically designed for precision. It just totally unbalances any game if those two types play against one another. It's why nobody plays online multiplayer with a PC controller.

Except Jeff Gerstmann lol

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Counterpoint: Ive never owned an xbox and im not comfortable with the button prompts the way I am with circle cross square adn triangle

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Avalanche posted:

I prefer controller look/movement over mouse/kb as the controller is a lot less precise and movement actually feels like it has momentum behind it versus all the quick rapid spastic movements on a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes the innate inaccuracy with a control type can make for a better gameplay experience so long as everyone else is also limited to that control type.

Is this a "VHS has superior fidelity and a richer sound" type of argument? If you are "rapidly spastic" with a mouse either turn down your mouse acceleration or your brain.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Counterpoint: Ive never owned an xbox and im not comfortable with the button prompts the way I am with circle cross square adn triangle

The button prompt issue is super dumb, similar to the guy up there who doesn't know what convex means and apparently uses his palms for his thumbsticks. I dunno why Microsoft thought we needed a third button order that uses the same button names as what Nintendo was doing, only reversed

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

signalnoise posted:

The button prompt issue is super dumb, similar to the guy up there who doesn't know what convex means and apparently uses his palms for his thumbsticks. I dunno why Microsoft thought we needed a third button order that uses the same button names as what Nintendo was doing, only reversed

my dude the one who doesn't know what convex means is you, please go look at a picture of a DS4

if you're having "grip issues" with basically any controller ever i'm imagining you as a 450lb ball of fat and sweat

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The dualshock 3 had convex sticks and bad triggers, is that what you're thinking of? The 4 has a convex lump inside a concave outer section and I find it grips really well.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My controllers keep comically slipping out of my hands every few seconds. I don’t know if I’m using too much crisco or what

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My controllers keep comically slipping out of my hands every few seconds. I don’t know if I’m using too much crisco or what

I want to see an infomercial where you keep squeezing the controller and it pops up in the air, and your character dies. Exasperated, you yell "There must be a better way!" and then someone comes along with the original xbox controller.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Is this a "VHS has superior fidelity and a richer sound" type of argument? If you are "rapidly spastic" with a mouse either turn down your mouse acceleration or your brain.

Most people use mouse sensitivities far beyond what is actually ideal, but have no idea because they have no frame of reference as to what's appropriate. So that could be part of it.

I can somewhat understand the whole idea of console aiming maybe feeling more natural and joystick-y, but tbh to me it just feels either like playing in a sea of treacle or just horrendously erratic on higher sens. I sort of understand the 'idea' behind it potentially giving a better gameplay experience, for example in a horror game, where you are helplessly and intentionally hamstrung by clunky controls or whatever. But I think in the real world, everybody being equally handicapped in-game adds nothing. For sure it makes single player look totally moronic, where enemies are forced to stand still and shoot every few seconds because otherwise players wouldn't have a snowball's chance. That isn't more cinematic or engaging, it just makes the whole thing look pretty stupid and unconvincing.

There are plenty of game types where controller is just easier and better than KB+M, so imo I don't see why there's any need for people to get defensive over why it can't be equal or superior to KB+M in FPS games. It's just an unavoidable weakness.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
every time i sit down for an elite powergaming session the concave triggers cause my controller to fly into my crotch repeatedly

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

if it doesn't have fixed camera angles and tank controls then it can go to hell :colbert:

(not MGS1 bad, just classic RE bad)

RE games without tank controls are not real resident evil.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

The dualshock 3 had convex sticks and bad triggers, is that what you're thinking of? The 4 has a convex lump inside a concave outer section and I find it grips really well.

The DS4 sticks have a convex center and outer section divided by a circular divot that is rendered meaningless by the convex center, where the Xbox One sticks have a concave center with a knurled circle around it. However you're right that I was wrong about the triggers.

food court bailiff posted:

my dude the one who doesn't know what convex means is you, please go look at a picture of a DS4

if you're having "grip issues" with basically any controller ever i'm imagining you as a 450lb ball of fat and sweat

I appreciate your dumb poo poo but it doesn't change the fact that I explained exactly how the stick modules break in case you happened to not personally have that problem, and that it's a common issue that is easily verified. I don't care if it it didn't happen for you personally, because mass produced consumer goods are not judged as having bad quality only in the case that 100% of them have problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

A Fancy Hat posted:

Doom 2016 was ruined by them cramming a "story" in there which probably had the worst forced and long cut-scenes that I can think of, even though it was praised for the opposite.

Also KB/Mouse is just way better than a controller in every way for first person shooters, there is no way around that.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 29, 2018