Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The fact that Patrick Brown popped out of the aether last night to twist the knife on the PC party suggests their internal polling may be worse than what external polls are saying right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh my.

Also, I would like a personal tax credit rebate on my first $1 million earned. :v

Also also, Scheer makes me think of those annoying Mormons who knock on my door.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

YEAH BOY
WE ARE BUYING A PIPELINE FOR only $4.5B DOLLARS

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberals-trans-mountain-pipeline-kinder-morgan-1.4681911

quote:

He said the government does not intend to be a long-term owner, and at the appropriate time, the government will work with investors to transfer the project and related assets to a new owner or owners. Investors such as Indigenous groups and pension funds have already expressed interest, he said.

quote:

Kinder Morgan issued a statement that says the deal represents the best way forward for shareholders and Canadians.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So back in the winter I witnessed a hit and run. The person blew a stop sign and t boned a car, which spun the car he hit 180. He kind of rolled to stop on the sidewalk and then drove off really quick. The driver who got hit was incredibly lucky, because the point of impact was closer to her back wheel instead of direct on them. We called an ambulance and the cops and stuck around to file a report, and they got the guy who ran. The victim was just really shook, I don’t think they were injured.

Cue several months later - I get a summons to report as a witness. The trial was adjourned but still happening in a few months. That’s not a big deal. gently caress this guy, I’m happy to take time to show up for court for thus.

A bigger deal is the charges. Traffic court is like nothing in terms of penalties. It’s brutal. Even if he gets convicted, he loses a bunch of demerit points and pays a small fine. Our system sucks in terms of dealing with stuff like this.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

We are assuming the existing Canadian Assets of Kinder Morgan, they will start the pipeline this summer, the Canadian government will assume control of construction and finish paying the rest of the construction once the deal closes.

Then try and sell the pipeline and the rest of the assets.

E: This is going to cost way more then 4.5B

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
First step to nationalizing oil production I’m all for it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's awesome that even when the market can't build something we still need to privatize it once we build it, for some reason.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I like how Alberta hated the older Trudeau for nationalizing oil, and now the younger Trudeau is trying to win Alberta by nationalizing oil.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

First step to nationalizing oil production I’m all for it.

Morneau already said they are selling everything once the deal goes through

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao the CPC and Alberta cons on twitter hate this already, who exactly was this decision supposed to please? Is it just fellating KM?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao the CPC and Alberta cons on twitter hate this already, who exactly was this decision supposed to please? Is it just fellating KM?

As with anything the Liberals do, don't ask yourself if it will be popular with voters, ask yourself if it will be popular with big business.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Liberals think they are the natural governing party. Just look at Ontario where they thought they could turn their approval ratings around with one budget despite being the most hated government in Canada right now.

They aren't doing this to please anyone except the wealthy bankers and oil people who will give them jobs after they leave office. They know this move is unpopular but they assume people will vote for them anyway because they are the Liberals and they own the country. The sad part is they might not be wrong.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Where's some good places to read up on my riding / candidates? Going to be voting in Kanata-Carleton if anyone has particular opinions on that riding.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Vote NDP ffs

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Where's some good places to read up on my riding / candidates? Going to be voting in Kanata-Carleton if anyone has particular opinions on that riding.

Man, they re-map your riding every 5-10 years it looks like. Looks like its gone heavy blue with over 50% of the vote for quite some time in previous mappings, so uh vote NDP.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Duck Rodgers posted:

I like how Alberta hated the older Trudeau for nationalizing oil, and now the younger Trudeau is trying to win Alberta by nationalizing oil.

The objection to the NEP didn't have to do with ideological opposition to nationalization, it had to do with hurting the profits of the companies that made the hiring decisions in Alberta at the time, which put the squeeze on our economy really bad. I imagine full nationalization with guarantees of employment and good pay would've gone over reasonably well.

Granted, in this case it probably makes more sense to invest those billions of dollars in literally any other segment of the Albertan economy to try to diversify our economy off oil, but :shrug:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Last time I voted I remember being pretty annoyed at how strong the blue leaning was, but yeah, I was thinking NDP, but apparently Liberals have come close in the past? Mostly coming at this from a "I don't want Rob Ford" angle and it's sound like the conservative vote might be split among Trillium and PC?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm almost 100% certain you will not under any circumstances end up with Rob Ford.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

infernal machines posted:

I'm almost 100% certain you will not under any circumstances end up with Rob Ford.

Well I also mean I don't want a conservative candidate holding the riding either.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Well I also mean I don't want a conservative candidate holding the riding either.

Unless your riding has shifted something like 20+ points in another direction you are in all likelihood getting a conservative MPP. Here's the electoral history of what most of your riding was before this election. The liberals aren't coming close this time I don't think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton%E2%80%94Mississippi_Mills_(provincial_electoral_district)

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
To be fair it might as well be Rob Ford running.

Rob had something of a personality at least, whereas Doug has the mien of a used car salesman.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh lmao, right. Doug, not Rob.

Le Saboteur posted:

Unless your riding has shifted something like 20+ points in another direction you are in all likelihood getting a conservative MPP. Here's the electoral history of what most of your riding was before this election. The liberals aren't coming close this time I don't think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton%E2%80%94Mississippi_Mills_(provincial_electoral_district)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/kanata-carleton-ottawa-ontario-election-2018-1.4645374

Apparently the shakeup has been that the conservative incumbent, Jack MacLaren got the boot from the party for comments on french-language rights and is running as Trillium.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/kanata-carleton-ottawa-ontario-election-2018-1.4645374

Apparently the shakeup has been that the conservative incumbent, Jack MacLaren got the boot from the party for comments on french-language rights and is running as Trillium.

As a non conservative vote it does look like it might be worth voting Liberal if you're going strategic. I always vote NDP on my ballot as I don't like to play the strategic game, its up to you.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I'm working hard on getting the young people around me to vote in my riding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_North_Centre_(provincial_electoral_district)

its 100% possible we go NDP here and I want to ensure that happens.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Oxyclean posted:

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe the people of Etobicoke North would elect his corpse given the chance.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Le Saboteur posted:

Yeah there's this weird none of the above party picking up a lot of libertarian types in Brantford. NDP is looking like they could win this riding for the first time since the early 90s.

I am still trying to figure out the politics of the place despite growing up there. It went easily Liberal during Dave Levac's tenure despite half of the riding being suburban and conservative as gently caress, but there's also the working class undercurrent that should go NDP but instead goes either PC or Libertarian.

I think the only reason the NDP does as well as it does there is because its candidates do actual outreach outside of politics. The Liberals and PC/Cons almost never run a candidate again once they lose.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

I am still trying to figure out the politics of the place despite growing up there. It went easily Liberal during Dave Levac's tenure despite half of the riding being suburban and conservative as gently caress, but there's also the working class undercurrent that should go NDP but instead goes either PC or Libertarian.

I think the only reason the NDP does as well as it does there is because its candidates do actual outreach outside of politics. The Liberals and PC/Cons almost never run a candidate again once they lose.

This year Alex Felsky is doing exceptionally well because she's the only recognizable name on the ticket and she does a ton of outreach. They have a brand new PC candidate and a brand new Liberal candidate. I think Dave Levac lasted so long because he was kind of a legacy and generally well liked among the entire city.

Also there are certain suburbs in Brantford like my parents area in the North End by Branlyn School that are very Liberal/NDP leaning and have always been.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Le Saboteur posted:

This year Alex Felsky is doing exceptionally well because she's the only recognizable name on the ticket and she does a ton of outreach. They have a brand new PC candidate and a brand new Liberal candidate. I think Dave Levac lasted so long because he was kind of a legacy and generally well liked among the entire city.

Also there are certain suburbs in Brantford like my parents area in the North End by Branlyn School that are very Liberal/NDP leaning and have always been.

My bias might be that I used to spend half my time with the local Polish community, and all they do is complain about taxes/gays/minorities and are staunch conservatives these days.

Man could I ever tell stories about that community and its internal mechanisms.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

My bias might be that I used to spend half my time with the local Polish community, and all they do is complain about taxes/gays/minorities and are staunch conservatives these days.

Lol I live next to a Polish Hall and within a two block vicinity of another Polish Hall. I like to get food from them every so often.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

DariusLikewise posted:

E: This is going to cost way more then 4.5B

The 4.5B doesn't cover the cost of construction. It's at least another 7.4B on top of that.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

mojo1701a posted:

One of Harper's best maneuvers was flipping over an enormous amount of the immigrant demographic to PC. I'm a member of a community and also work with lots of Persians etc. who are almost universally conservative voters.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

I have a friend that immigrated from Poland with his parents when he was young. His parents and the entire Polish community in Winnipeg are hardline conservatives that call anyone that doesn't vote Conservative/PC "komunistas".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate everything about this pipeline so much. Why do we keep doing this to ourselves.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Helsing posted:

It's awesome that even when the market can't build something we still need to privatize it once we build it, for some reason.

Icing on the cake.

My expectations for Trudeau were so low and he still managed to crawl under them holy gently caress.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lurdiak posted:

I hate everything about this pipeline so much. Why do we keep doing this to ourselves.

People are idiots who vote based on appearance and soundbites.
I mean just LOOK at how progressive this handsome young man is. He's repeatedly said he has a deep commitment to the environment, climate change, and this will be the last FPTP election in Canada!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Scorchy posted:

The 4.5B doesn't cover the cost of construction. It's at least another 7.4B on top of that.

Yeah the 4.5B is just for existing assets which apparently there is a list of somewhere. That's basically the government giving Kinder Morgan a handout though because they are not getting 4.5B in assets in return that's for sure.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Oh god, is this my monkey's paw wish? I've always said that if we're going to do oil and gas it should be nationalised 😐

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm just trying to follow the money here. Like how much is this worth to the Liberals that they're pushing this as some sort of life and death for the party matter? Did KM donate $1,000 to the Trudeau foundation or something?

Like, there has to be some upper level of spending where this is no longer worth it the Liberals. 10 billion isn't too much. 50 billion? A trillion? Privatizing and selling the entire country to KM for a $1 lease? I still can't quite figure out how this benefits the Liberals so much that they're pushing so insanely hard on this. Construction kick-backs? Reliable Albertan Federal Liberal voters? Some chinese trade official has a pisstape? I don't get it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I would have to imagine the Liberals already have a buyer lined up somewhere that's going to end up making this look like a good deal. Below is the headline in 1 year.

A consortium of interests buys under construction pipeline and oil assets for $12b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Great to see that we don't even need the TPP to force us to indemnify investors from the costs of climate policy; we'll just do it of our own accord.