Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My old H50 was edged out by HSFs half the cost.

It also was a lot more convenient than them, since the cooling fins were mounted to the case and I didn't have a big block hanging off my motherboard.

As my professor used to say, there are engineering tradeoffs to every decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Also water cooling looks cooler, and aesthetics is the most important thing.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

boxen posted:

So, are AIO's generally considered to be inferior to a good air cooler?

I just got a 8700K (thanks, ebay coupon), and am ready to ditch my old Hyper 212 plus (i realize it'd be fine for mild overclocking). I've started looking at some air coolers, such as the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3, but my case (Coolermaster CM690 II) has a spot up top for a 240 radiator, so I've been looking at AIO's to use that spot. I'd like to hit a 5ghz overclock if I can, keeping noise reasonable, and the AIO's I've seen aren't horribly more expensive than a good air cooler.

I realize AIO's (even in the size I'm looking at) are mostly for bling rather than effectiveness over air cooling, but are they a huge ripoff or a small one?

My giant Noctua (NH-D15?) cooler is pretty close if not on-par with an AIO water cooler. I'm running 5ghz on a delidded 8600k with basically no noise and ~60C temps under load.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If I've got the money to spare anyway, is there a reason to not just stock up on 140mm Corsair ML Pros beyond the 2in 1out that came with my BeQuiet Dark Base 900? My case is elevated above the floor so I don't think it would vaccuum it for dust. I'd be adding two to the botom and two to the top I guess for proper air pressure.

I don't have a PhD in acoustics, but I assume horizontal scaling won't increase the dB - but might help reduce it reduces the general load of all fans as well as the GPUs so everything can run with a low RPM.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
A good AIO isn't really inferior to a good tower cooler, but it isn't really superior either. The big advantage at that class is flexibility, AIOs have more mounting options.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PerrineClostermann posted:

My old H50 was edged out by HSFs half the cost.

It also was a lot more convenient than them, since the cooling fins were mounted to the case and I didn't have a big block hanging off my motherboard.

As my professor used to say, there are engineering tradeoffs to every decision.

I had my 2500K cooled by one, in a MITX case with no room for anything other then a stock intel sink.

I liked that system but needing to unplug one wire meant having to take the whole thing apart like Tetris.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I had my 2500K cooled by one, in a MITX case with no room for anything other then a stock intel sink.

I liked that system but needing to unplug one wire meant having to take the whole thing apart like Tetris.

I kept my 2600k cooled on a case with horrible traditional air flow for years. Good stuff.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What do you fine folks think of the Caselabs S8?

Seems neat in that I could fit:
2 x 280mm rads in the top, for Threadripper and a 1080GTX

Use the front 2 x 140mm fans for low speed fans blowing across the board and positive air pressuring up things

Fans of caselabs? They're expensive but the s8 is pretty much exactly what I want. Semi small and high quality with the rad mount points I want.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Case labs is awesome and you wont be disappoined in the quality. They feel like what you pay for them.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Ive got a sma8 and have zero regrets about it, you can fit so many god drat radiatiors in it

From memory I have

Top mount 45mm quad 120mm
Front mount 60mm tri 120
Left side of the bottom has a 80mm quad 140mm
Right side has a 60mm 360mm and still (just) fits a 180mm length psu

And all that is for a 1950x and sli 1080tis with a water temp of less then 10c delta to ambient at very low fan speeds

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Build quality looks awesome. I'm impressed at how much they cram into a small space, and the layouts logical, too (I have no idea how some case designs are made the way they are).

If you had any photos of your builds in them it would make me happy until I order. Awesome.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Build quality looks awesome. I'm impressed at how much they cram into a small space, and the layouts logical, too (I have no idea how some case designs are made the way they are).

If you had any photos of your builds in them it would make me happy until I order. Awesome.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786165&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post476729589

have a scroll down that page and you will see some of the photos I took of my build

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Indiana_Krom posted:

A good AIO isn't really inferior to a good tower cooler, but it isn't really superior either. The big advantage at that class is flexibility, AIOs have more mounting options.

Pretty much. All a water cooling solution really does is use the fluid to transport the heat you need to dissipate into the surrounding air away from the CPU socket, so you can hang all of your aluminium surface area onto something that isn't the motherboard, which means you can make it bigger and/or mount it somewhere with easier access to cool air. If your case can fit a 150-200W-class tower cooler like the Noctua NH-D15, you don't really "need" water cooling, nor will you really gain anything from it, unless you have a crazy-tier CPU like a Skylake-X or something.

On current Intel CPU's, the bottleneck isn't even the ability of the cooling system to transfer heat to the surrounding air anyway, it's the heat transfer between the silicon and the CPU heatspreader, and that's why you delid. I'm on a delidded i7-8700K with a NH-D15 in a pretty airflow-restrictive case (Be Quiet Dark Base 700) and even when it's pulling >150W it stays around 60-65C.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 23, 2018

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I only went with water cooling since my graphics card blower gets really loud, and the cars stays hot. How it never gets above 65C.

You won’t gain much on the CPU side for cooling, but definitely can on a video card.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately nvidia gpus can't be flashed with custom bios anymore, so just get a decent (msi gaming) gpu cooler option, because you won't be able to overclock more than literally anyone else in the world anyway unless you hardware voltmod or use an amd gpu (lol)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Scarecow posted:

So I got my Threadripper build finally finished (for now) and im running at:

4.1ghz 1.385v
3200Mhz 14-13-13-28-42
2 Sli 1080tis @ 2076Mhz core

measured from the Vcore pinout my Zenith board has and only hitting over 60c when I run prime95 ( cpu hits 310W :staredog: )

Also getting some sick mad 3Dmark scores in Firestrike like this one :
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22326827

still need to work on getting Pstate clocking to work but so far im really happy with the build besides one thing....the loving thermaltake fans ARE loving GARBAGE DO NOT BUY THEM HOLY poo poo AHHHHH
Thermaltakes garbage software flat out does not work on the threadripper platform atm, I had to plug my loving laptop into the controller to change the loving fan speed and RGB colour and im looking at if I can return them as gently caress this what a joke

anyway here are some photos

only just fits a 170mm PSU + cables behind the 360mm rad in the bottom

starting the filling process

thank you jesus it POSTed

Final color setup

Still need to finish setting up the Aquareo software and get some custom cables for the gpus as the stock ones are just terrible looking
This is beast!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kloa posted:

I only went with water cooling since my graphics card blower gets really loud, and the cars stays hot. How it never gets above 65C.

You won’t gain much on the CPU side for cooling, but definitely can on a video card.

My 1070 doesn't hit much more than 37c on load now.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Yeah, GPUs seem to benefit a lot more in raw delta-t than CPUs. Because of the larger contact area I think??

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
GPU blocks directly contact the die. In CPUs, 9 times out of 10 you're transferring through the IHS and not directly contacting the die.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The typical GPU die that you would use a water cooler on is also a significantly larger surface area with a lower power/heat density than a typical CPU die.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Would you guys feel safe moving an aging cooler into a new case? Or is it too likely that seals have deteriorated etc?

I have an H80 that is five years old but still working fine. I’d replace it if it had the pump was making noise, but it ran in quiet mode for five years. This month I OCed my processor somewhat and moved the fan to “balanced” and while the fans are loud there’s no sound of pump death failure.

My problem is my case only supports 120mm coolers, 240/280 is off the table. I’m looking at buying a new case that’s on sale right now, but moving the old cooler, out of warranty, into a new case seems like a recipe for seals to break and coolant to ruin all my stuff.

Maybe I should just keep what I’ve got until Black Friday and can get the case and a cooler at a discount together?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Anyone have a Lian-Li PC-V3000? I currently have a mixed 140mm and 120mm setup but it is extremely hacky with cut-outs and drilled mounting holes. Looking to move to something a little more secure. The last Lian-Li case I had was from 2005 when 80mm Tornado fans were the hottest poo poo on the planet; just wondering what the quality is like these days.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I have a question about radiant temperature for water cooling.

If I feel that the heat blowing out from my pc is causing my room temperature to feel hotter because a ceiling fan circulates that heat towards me. Will water cooling help with that?

Or will the heat still be there and the feel of the room temperature nets out to the same?

eames
May 9, 2009

No, the heat output into the room will be the same* unless you run long tubes for an external radiator placed outside your room.

* well technically: if your chips are currently throttling at their thermal limit your room may be hotter with water cooling. Otherwise cooler running chips have lower internal resistance and thus consume a few percent less power at lower temperatures but the effect wouldn't be noticeable.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Water cooling doesn’t make you computer generate more or less heat (unless it was previously throttled) it’s just more effective at getting the heat out of the case.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
If your system was throttling on an air cooler, a larger and more powerful water cooler will actually cause it to dissipate MORE heat/energy not less, because system would no longer throttle. The efficiency gains of running at a lower temperature are trivial, for reference I de-lidded my CPU and replaced the stock transfer compound with liquid metal that yielded a ~20C drop at peak load which only reduced the CPU power consumption from 120w down to 115w.

Also the amount of heat a PC dissipates into a room is measurable but not terribly significant. The formula to use is 1 Watt equals 3.4121 BTUs/Hour, so for instance my entire PC, both monitors and an audio amplifier uses roughly 400 Watts in a gaming load, which if it was all going to heat losses would be ~1360 BTUs/Hour. It is there, but it isn't going to break the air conditioning or significantly warm an average sized room.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rage-saq posted:

Water cooling doesn’t make you computer generate more or less heat (unless it was previously throttled) it’s just more effective at getting the heat out of the case.

Technically incorrect. The cooler you make components the less power they will use. Though in this case it will not be noticable, but the effect is there.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Don Lapre posted:

Technically incorrect. The cooler you make components the less power they will use. Though in this case it will not be noticable, but the effect is there.

I don’t know that the differences in temperature reduce the electrical resistance by a large enough of a degree to reduce the electrical load but technically this is true.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cool it better, undervolt accordingly at same clocks, see what it does to power use.

eames
May 9, 2009

rage-saq posted:

I don’t know that the differences in temperature reduce the electrical resistance by a large enough of a degree to reduce the electrical load but technically this is true.

There's a long posting on this topic here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/effect-of-temperature-on-power-consumption-with-the-i7-2600k.2200205/

The difference is significant enough that a custom watercooled PC running under full load would consume less power than the same PC with air-cooling, despite the pump and additional fans. :eng101:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rage-saq posted:

Its one of the big selling points of liquid coolling in datacenters.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Don Lapre posted:

Its one of the big selling points of liquid coolling in datacenters.

At a data center when you deal with hundreds to thousands of watts per square meter of floor space even a 5% drop in electrical resistance makes a big difference.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, how about that. I never would have guessed although it is obvious when you think about it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Always wondered why data centers didn't go whole hog hvac and hook up r32 coolant tubes to giant heat pumps

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They do. Asetek has a data center solution with heat exchangers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm currently speccing an upcoming TR2 build, and unlike before, I'm not going to wuss out of watercooling. I'm likely going to stick an 360mm AIO on the CPU, but I'm a bit concerned about the case. I'm considering the NZXT H700 currently, because it looks nice, but it doesn't have direct intakes and exhausts, but everything goes through grids on the side.

Anyone here using that case with a huge AIO? Is that combo OK, or rather not?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm currently speccing an upcoming TR2 build, and unlike before, I'm not going to wuss out of watercooling. I'm likely going to stick an 360mm AIO on the CPU, but I'm a bit concerned about the case. I'm considering the NZXT H700 currently, because it looks nice, but it doesn't have direct intakes and exhausts, but everything goes through grids on the side.

Anyone here using that case with a huge AIO? Is that combo OK, or rather not?

I have one with a 360 front, 280 top and 120 read. Temps are quite good, they did a good job having the fan mounts further back from the panel when compared to similar cases. Definitely don't get the "i" model though, the fan controller is total poo poo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm ordering a nzxt h200 now.

Looking for the best 280mm aio, considering the "280mm Be quiet! Silent Loop AIO Watercooler". How's this brand?

For cooling a 2700x.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Be Quiet doesn't sell their liquid coolers in North America, so you won't get the rush of answers to your question. This is usually indicative of the product not being made by Asetek and doing things Asetek owns a US patent to, thus making it illegal for BQ to export it to the US market. So aside from "it's not made by the same vendor company that produces the vast number of Corsair, NZXT, EVGA, Fractal, Thermaltake, et al coolers" there's not much I can say.

This doesn't mean it's bad, my H80 is I believe from one of the vendors Corsair worked with before Asetek sued them out of the market, and it's going to reach six years before it gets replaced.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fair enough! Sorry for all the questions, but what's the best 140mm high static pressure fan with good acoustics?