Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nep-Nep posted:

In addition to the rewind in the NES games, the turbo CPU option that does away with the lag is great, especially in Mega Man 3.

Wait, is that Switch only? I got it for 3DS (and PS4 for the bundle) but the slowdown is kind of terrible since the only versions I played before (PSX, PS2) got rid of it by default. Guess that’s another thing to check off the list...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Last Celebration posted:

Wait, is that Switch only? I got it for 3DS (and PS4 for the bundle) but the slowdown is kind of terrible since the only versions I played before (PSX, PS2) got rid of it by default. Guess that’s another thing to check off the list...

They’re updating LC1 on other platforms to include the stuff the Switch version got like turbo cpu and rewind.

I didn’t get the cloth with my version. Capcom.:argh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've finished Gunvolt 2, and it was fun and generally better than 1, though the final stages were kind of bland after the good initial ones. Copen is a lot of fun to play and I'm looking forward to Gunvolt 9. Hopefully he'll become less of a genocidal religious zealot. He can stay an idiot who gets dunked on, though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've been terrible at Mega Man games my entire life. This week I decided to play X2 again for the first time in years and beat 2 Mavericks, which is a record for the amount of bosses I've beaten in any Megaman game. I also got the Leg upgrade so I'm doing 500% better than any games I've played in the series. Idk why I've always been so bad at the games, something about not being able to duck or avoid things as easily as other platform games when I was a kid really hosed with me.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
For any X series game, you have to learn how to play on the walls.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Yeah, dashing and wall climbing make the SNES X games a joy to play. The sprite is the perfect size to make you feel really fast and dodgy, it's the reason those games are so much fun to speedrun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

puppets freak me out posted:

Yeah, dashing and wall climbing make the SNES X games a joy to play. The sprite is the perfect size to make you feel really fast and dodgy, it's the reason those games are so much fun to speedrun.

I admit that remapping the dash to a shoulder button makes a HUGE difference. The default setting to X or whatever makes zero sense.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've been a default settings guy my whole life.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

In just about any other game, I map a dash/roll to a shoulder button. However, anytime I play any of the X games or a game that emulates their movement (20XX) I have to have dash bound to the default layout. My brain breaks trying to it any other way.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Most of the time I tap left/right twice to dash in X/20XX but I still set dash to one of the shoulder buttons specifically for wall super jumping.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PSN Singapore has a MM11 listing that says it comes out October 3: https://store.playstation.com/en-sg/product/UP0102-CUSA10784_00-MM11000000000000

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

“The innovative new Double Gear system lets you boost Mega Man's speed and power for a new twist on the satisfying gameplay the series is known for.”

Some new details in the description.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I grew up with the PC port of Megaman X. I think the default mappings were dash - CTRL, jump - ALT, and shoot was spacebar.
A guitar hero controller would've been a step up from that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

puppets freak me out posted:

I grew up with the PC port of Megaman X. I think the default mappings were dash - CTRL, jump - ALT, and shoot was spacebar.

That's correct. I used to accidentally task out to Windows all the time.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I used to play the X series with the default controls up until I played the Zero Collection while in high school.

Now I can't play without having the shoulder buttons set to dash and shoot/slash respectively.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I can still mash my thumb to charge, dash and jump at the same time. But only on a SNES controller, anything else just feels wrong.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If anyone is playing Legacy Collection 1 on Switch and thinks it feels a bit off, try disabling turbo cpu. That option is a cool idea but I swear it adds slight input lag.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SeANMcBAY posted:

If anyone is playing Legacy Collection 1 on Switch and thinks it feels a bit off, try disabling turbo cpu. That option is a cool idea but I swear it adds slight input lag.

I was glad for the lack of slowdown and I didn't notice any input lag, and I even managed to do that platform bit in Gutsman's stage on the first try with no rewinding. I'm just about to go into Wily's castle in MM1 and what I have noticed is that MM seems to have butter smeared on the bottom of his little blue boots, because sticking the landing on narrow things is a real nightmare. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, a bug, or just a version difference; I haven't played MM1 on any other platform in a few years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mega Man 1’s control does feel less refined than the later games so it may be that and not lag.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I would boot up 2 to see if the issue persists, 1’s physics could use some work.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

does anyone have screenshots of this? i missed it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

does anyone have screenshots of this? i missed it.

As I recall the only line of new information was in SeANMcBAY's follow up post.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
It's weird how Legacy Collection 1 (on Switch) has you start the game then log in, as opposed go Legacy Collection 2, and any other Nintendo Switch game I've played.

Also, gently caress Commando Man's stage gimmick.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MM1 definitely has slightly slipperier physics than the rest.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

The Merkinman posted:

Also, gently caress Commando Man's stage gimmick.

The trick I use for that is calling Rush on to the screen and just keeping him there as a point of reference.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

Dabir posted:

MM1 definitely has slightly slipperier physics than the rest.

Yeah I turned off the Turbo mode for a minute and I found no difference in the input lag. It just seems to be like a solid 5 frames or so of lag between inputs no matter what.

The rewind feature is saving my life; I've beaten these games a handful of times before but I really don't have the patience anymore to do it legit. Save states were fine but it's kinda fun to figure out how to take no damage fighting these bosses.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beat Mega Man 1 for the first time in like 25 years and I didn’t use rewind and only game overed twice.:smug:

1 is supposed to be the hardest of the 10 right, or is 9 tougher?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

Personally I find 9 to be the hardest and 1 to be among the easiest with a great big asterisk for the yellow devil. That's the hardest drat boss in the series. I cannot legitimately beat it. Fortunately the pause glitch is a thing.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Yeah 1's difficulty relative to the rest of the series changes drastically depending on whether or not the pause trick is used.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, Yellow Devil is easily the hardest part. I definitely did the pause trick.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
1 is generally just very uneven. The Guts Man platforms for example are famously lovely (just from the way they're programmed) and require a few deaths just to get used to the timing, so a level using them as a central gimmick would be a nightmare. Instead, Guts Man's level is a contender for shortest in the series (among "normal" robot master levels at least) and you never see the platforms again until the final level. So whatever! But that first screen feels ridiculous when you first attempt it and can really colour your perception.

Cut Man's stage in contrast is quite long, but really well designed* with varied but not too crazy obstacles, completely devoid of gimmicks unless you count "billions of suzies".

*depends on your patience level and if you brought a special weapon, granted

Ice Man is a level-wide nightmare, but everyone and their mom knows to bring the Magnet Beat and just skip all of that crap by now, so it's nothing that will keep you from finishing the game. Overall, the game profits massively from outside knowledge (see also the pause trick itself, obviously) with the one really hard part imho being the refights, because it's four douches in a row with really high damage and you don't get healed or checkpointed in-between. Even with weaknesses, you just have to get good at dodging especially Ice Man (because of the ludicrous damage) and Bomb Man (because he's the most easy to avoid and you can't afford to take any easy to avoid damage). Also you should really bring an extra life so you can die to Wily after, because doing the gauntlet and then him without dying is really unrealistic for your average player.

Compared to the occasional weird-but-usually-cheesable difficulty spikes of MM1, MM9 is just always tough as nails with a bunch of honestly rather dickish traps, so I'd definitely say for a current player who knows a few things about MM1, the old game is easier to complete by a landslide. In fact, I haven't beaten MM9 yet because my first "copy" is on a friend's nonfunctioning PS3 two countries over, but I'll finally get past those dual devil fuckers on the second Legacy Collection as soon as my Switch arrives with me. I did also recently get the first Collection for 3DS and beat MM1 in two quick sittings with save states only on stage transitions, so I have fresh memories of "not so bad".

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
MM1 basically forces to get good at it though, where there’s nothing stopping you from just chugging half your E Tanks to get through Twin Devil, The Second Worst Boss* or whatever else is problematic, and huge parts of 9 are cheesed by Black Hole Bomb or Jewel Satellite.

*Block Devil wins because seriously. In the same game as Weapons Archive, the latter deserved better.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was playing MM10 the other day, went for Solar Man first cause he has rad level music. The level took a bit but I figured it all out fine enough, then the fight itself was the second coming of Pharaoh Man, a ton of high damage poo poo that you can't reasonably avoid. Tanked through it with a damage halver and half a dozen E-tanks and it turns out his weapon isn't even good. What the gently caress?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SeANMcBAY posted:

Beat Mega Man 1 for the first time in like 25 years and I didn’t use rewind and only game overed twice.:smug:

Same, although trying to play with the Xbox one dpad almost made me reconsider my life choices a couple of times. Sloooooowwwwly working my way through Legacy collection 1. MM1 was easier than I remembered, MM2 and 3 were harder.

e: MM9 is on the tougher side but what makes it brutal is that it has a bunch of crazy difficulty spikes in weird places with lovely traps or dickish mini-bosses

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

MM1 basically forces to get good at it though, where there’s nothing stopping you from just chugging half your E Tanks to get through Twin Devil, The Second Worst Boss* or whatever else is problematic, and huge parts of 9 are cheesed by Black Hole Bomb or Jewel Satellite.

*Block Devil wins because seriously. In the same game as Weapons Archive, the latter deserved better.
Tell me how to drink through entires stages made of death holes and spikes, and I'll re-evaluate my difficulty rankings. I have talked before about how the completely unexpected input lag hosed me over (I had never before played a Mega Man game on an actual console), but even still, there is a lot of instant death in MM9, and many hazards and enemies are designed 100% with the idea of knocking you into it.

Dabir posted:

I was playing MM10 the other day, went for Solar Man first cause he has rad level music. The level took a bit but I figured it all out fine enough, then the fight itself was the second coming of Pharaoh Man, a ton of high damage poo poo that you can't reasonably avoid. Tanked through it with a damage halver and half a dozen E-tanks and it turns out his weapon isn't even good. What the gently caress?
Almost all weapons in MM10 are weirdly bad (even the outlier Triple Blade is not even close to as good as almost all MM9 weapons are), so don't expect too much. But yeah, the music is the loving bomb!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
MM7 is another contender for hardest title, and like the first is wildly uneven in it's difficulty. The Gutstank and Wily Capsule are pretty well recognized as bullshit fights, but even past that the stage designs are pretty poor, and a lot of the tools that help manage that difficulty are hidden in dumb spots.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
The best part of MM1 is that Cut Man takes the most damage from the buster, prompting Elec Man next, but if the magnet beam is skipped because you don't have Super Arm or Thunder Beam you can't get to the end of Wily 1 and have no idea why.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

MM7 is another contender for hardest title, and like the first is wildly uneven in it's difficulty. The Gutstank and Wily Capsule are pretty well recognized as bullshit fights, but even past that the stage designs are pretty poor, and a lot of the tools that help manage that difficulty are hidden in dumb spots.
It is pretty much uncontested fact that the MM7 final boss is ludicrous nonsense, but I've never seen the opinion that the rest of the game is anything else than "kinda tough in spots" or "mostly trivial". I struggle to think of a truly hard stage in the first 8 - the Wily levels ramp it up but then again they're kinda supposed to.

I always Slash Claw the Gutstank because I love my dumb melee weapons so it's rarely an issue for me but yeah it's kinda stupid to dodge.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Do you want anime voice actors back in your Mega Man? Well, you got it!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1001478279440863234/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Oyster posted:

The best part of MM1 is that Cut Man takes the most damage from the buster, prompting Elec Man next, but if the magnet beam is skipped because you don't have Super Arm or Thunder Beam you can't get to the end of Wily 1 and have no idea why.

MM1 lets you revisit finished levels and even refight the boss, which is something I dearly miss in later titles.