Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Fangz posted:

It's sort of very inconsistent what it is from week to week. Sometimes it seems a straight fighting show, sometimes it's more of a mystery show. Sometimes it's about capitalists being sent to hell.

Like, for a 'kid's show' it can go some freaking dark places.

It's had pretty good ratings so far apparently, so I'm glad to see variety working out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Finally a killzone movie

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, by the guy who directed I Saw The Devil, A Tale of Two Sisters, and Arnold Schwarzenegger's The Last Stand

I Saw the Devil was so good, I can't believe I didn't think to look up the director. I need to check these out.

I keep seeing Precure gifs and the animation looks really good. Is this just where all the money is concentrated these days? I've never watched a Precure, can I start with this one?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not a matter of money, toei has a lot of extraordinarily talented animators and most of them are concentrated around precure. the last season actually had to take a hit in animation quality because a lot of them were brought on to dragon ball super

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, just a few weeks ago they did a gag-oriented episode that was relatively conservatively animated to give the staff a breather, and a bunch of industry people couldn't believe it since it still looked so good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Budget is more a factor of experience and time management than it is pay and actual project budgets, but if you pay your animators better it tends to work out better for some reason....

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Paper Triangle posted:

I Saw the Devil was so good, I can't believe I didn't think to look up the director. I need to check these out.

I keep seeing Precure gifs and the animation looks really good. Is this just where all the money is concentrated these days? I've never watched a Precure, can I start with this one?

This one is pretty good, but they're about as different as Sentai and Kamen Rider seasons tend to be. Heartcatch is a fan favorite and Go Princess is another recent one that I liked a lot by the end, it's very Sailor Moon.

CIRNO THE GREAT
Feb 12, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know when the Meglobox OST is coming out? really could go for that OST, really chill and comfy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

CIRNO THE GREAT posted:

Anyone know when the Meglobox OST is coming out? really could go for that OST, really chill and comfy

preorders for the physical CD say June 27, no idea if we'll see leaks or an earlier digital release

CIRNO THE GREAT
Feb 12, 2018

by R. Guyovich

dogsicle posted:

preorders for the physical CD say June 27, no idea if we'll see leaks or an earlier digital release

Hmm hope they aren't too much, love the tunes but I hate it when a OST is like 9000 yen or something. Worst case I just pick it up in decemeber when I go back to korea/japan. Thanks for the info!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paper Triangle posted:

its not about money, its that the precure staff has some of the best animators working today. toei, being a big corporation with their own properties, can actually pay animators half-decently (even if they still have to work crazy hours) and that combined with an episodic kids' show format giving them a certain amount of freedom in terms of expressions and comedic timing that a more serious or more otaku-focused show might not, and them having been able to work out a good schedule/pace for precure since they've been doing it for 15 years straight with no breaks means that precure is consistently a great looking series, or at least has been for the past few years now.

there's rarely any connections between precure series. as an anniversary series hugtto might have a few callbacks but if so they haven't shown up yet and won't be the focus, so you can start with it just fine. it's a really great, really fun show, and even a bit thoughtful for a kids' show, but it is still a kids' show, so be prepared for monsters of the week and a cute mascot and recurring gimmicks and such. it handles those things well imo, but they exist.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

CIRNO THE GREAT posted:

Hmm hope they aren't too much, love the tunes but I hate it when a OST is like 9000 yen or something. Worst case I just pick it up in decemeber when I go back to korea/japan. Thanks for the info!

2700 yen from CDJapan, it looks like

CIRNO THE GREAT
Feb 12, 2018

by R. Guyovich

dogsicle posted:

2700 yen from CDJapan, it looks like

:eyepop:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Some of it is on Spotify already. Not sure if the whole thing will be released there.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

NakamuraEmi has an album up on spotify with kakatekoiyo on it, and also the laughing salesman op she did

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Okay, To Be Heroine episode 1 was silly and funny, but episode 2 was actually genuinely fantastic.

I've created a thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3858337

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 28, 2018

CIRNO THE GREAT
Feb 12, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Goes without saying but, S;G 0 is really good but drat dude why is every single woman in that show now ultra stacked.

Like drat yo that's going to cause back problems in life

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New Thread :toot:

To Be Heroine

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CIRNO THE GREAT posted:

Goes without saying but, S;G 0 is really good but drat dude why is every single woman in that show now ultra stacked.

You know why

CIRNO THE GREAT
Feb 12, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Namtab posted:

You know why

Because okabe chose a world line with big baps? I mean that would help anyone get over depressions faster

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Speaking of Stein's;Gate, I just started watching the first season. What are people's general opinions of it? It's been incredibly confusing so far and I'd like to at least know if people here think it shakes out in a satisfying way.

CIRNO THE GREAT
Feb 12, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Viridiant posted:

Speaking of Stein's;Gate, I just started watching the first season. What are people's general opinions of it? It's been incredibly confusing so far and I'd like to at least know if people here think it shakes out in a satisfying way.

Honestly I felt the same time watching it, the first few episodes are totally kinda mashed all up, but picks up and stays steady after mid way. It's probably one of those shows I'd say you must watch twice for a truly amazing experience, you'll notice subtle differences and references to after completing it you will appreciate a lot more.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Viridiant posted:

Steins:Gate is very good.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord

CIRNO THE GREAT posted:

Spinal columns have never been a problem in anime.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
many stein;gate character have the big bap

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Viridiant posted:

It's one of the series that turned me into an anime fan. It suffers a bit early on from slowness (this is more of a "fourteen episode test" than a three episode test, and I'm serious about that) and throughout from its VN origins, but it's well worth a watch IMO.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Steins;Gate had an excellent ending well worth the kind of meandering VN-esque path it takes to get there, definitely stick with it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Thanks, folks. I'll keep at it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
space battleship tiramisu is some inspired poo poo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it is that time of the year again where i look desperately for something to hold my interest

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll watch Banana Fish and the sweaty badminton girls show

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Planet Wish manga has had a pretty strong start and is the first Mizukami work to get adapted, so I'll be looking forward to that at least. Not much else stands out though!

However I knew I recognized Mirai no Mirai and sure enough that's the next Mamoru Hosoda movie :toot:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

How big are these studios that they can do 3 shows at once

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

How big are these studios that they can do 3 shows at once
the studios that actually do 3 shows at once mostly in-house, like toei and sunrise, are huge. JC Staff and Deen mostly just outsource. tho jc staff is decently big.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 29, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eesh, there sure are some synopses in there. Anyone know if any of the original works are being done by people we should care about?

Also, hope Koizuka is still helming AOT S3. He hasn’t done much as a director, but what he has done makes me think he deserves more attention. His work kind of feels like Tetsuro Araki’s, but with more range and baseline competence. Plus, I wasn’t too keen on the arc they’ll be adapting this time around, so it’d be nice if they have a good director to elevate it a bit.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'll watch Chio-chan's Way to Class and FLCL Alternative for sure.

Probably also checking out Banana Fish, Grand Blue, High Score Girl, and anything else that ends up looking fun.

I can't believe they're actually making Back Street Girls, jesus.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Eesh, there sure are some synopses in there. Anyone know if any of the original works are being done by people we should care about?
flcl alternative has a pretty big staff but since its a spinoff you probably werent asking about that.

ongaku shoujo is being directed by yukio nishimoto, who has a huge list of credits. nothing really worth noting in terms of solo directorial efforts, but they directed 5 episodes of princess tutu including the final episode, a few episodes of jojo's (mostly in battle tendency), and their most prominent solo directorial effort was one of the fairy tail movies. I haven't heard of them before but they seem like a steady hand. it's being written by deko akao, who's done scripts for several precure episodes as well as writing arakawa under the bridge.

phantom in the twilight is being directed by kunihiro mori, whos directed tons of gundam episodes across the whole franchise. again, no solo directorial efforts that seem worth noting. writing is by fumiaki maruto, the original creator of, uh, 'how to raise a boring girlfriend.' it also has character designs by hidari, who you might know from fire emblem echoes.

shoujo kageki revue is being directed by tomohiro furukawa, who mostly seems to have done keyframes before this. he was assistant director on yurikuma, tho. it's being written by tatsuto higuchi, who wrote cross ange and several episodes of phibrain.

sirius the jaeger is being directed by masahiro ando. hes actually someone i can talk about, hes great at action - he had a role as 'action director' on the cowboy bebop movie and evangelion, and he directed several episodes and openings for both fullmetal alchemist TV series. he directed the film sword of the stranger, as well, as well as canaan and blast of tempest. he's very well-respected in terms of action. so all things going well, you can expect good action from sirius the jaeger. writing is being handled by keigo koyana, who wrote, uh, regalia the three sacred stars. and a few episodes of blast of tempest!

zoid wild is being directed by norihiko sudo, who directed the entirety of gen 4 and gen 5 of the pokemon tv series. he was also an assistant director on grave of the fireflies, lol. its being written mitsutaka hirota, who wrote anime gataris, and, uh, the x-men anime.

tl;dr if you're talking pedigree, sirius is probably the one to watch.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's almost here... yamasusu...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh poo poo, Sirius is an Ando vehicle? Guess AOT S3 might have some stiff competition for good-looking gritty supernatural action, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
desperately hoping that grand blue is good. obviously the manga is, but comedy adaptations need the right staff to work.

i'll also probably find a couple mediocre action shows to watch like usual.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 29, 2018

• Locked thread