Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DancingShade posted:

That doesn't sound very tolerant of others.

At least go after the real monsters - people who don't bathe in crowded halls.

Don’t be tolerant of racists and misogynists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Endman posted:

I haven’t played the third game; is it really that bad?

It's trying to have the scale of DoW1 with the micromanagement of DoW2, with a greater focus on heroes and MOBA-like skillshots. It's too many flavors at once and they don't all go well together. Campaign's okay but I never finished it.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Has anyone played Deathwing yet? Still 20% off till June 4th.

Watched a bit on twitch over the weekend, can't say it looked great, apart from the graphics, but maybe you gotta play it? :shrug:

I played it when it came out, it was okay but much more fun with friends. Pretty much every time it launches it crashes in my experience. Vermintide is a much better game in a similar vein.

panascope posted:

I want more nazis to play against because I wouldn’t even have to feel bad about being a bad winner & cranking space jam.

I'm an equal opportunity Space Jam cranker.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

All these knight stratagems are nice and all but I just want to see which house has the coolest color scheme so I know what I'm going to be painting for the next few months :v

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Deathwatch FAQ is out:

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/warhammer_40000_deathwatch_en.pdf

Nothing groundbreaking. The Halo Launcher is an odd change, and I'm not a fan of the Dragonfire ruling. Though, you should never be shooting Dragonfire unless it's against T2 models without an armor save anyway.

Glad to see they corrected the bit about Intercessor Sergeants and grenade launchers; there's no real reason to field a GL but now it's consistent with other books.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Forgot about this big boi during Walker Weekend.

I got slightly drunk yesterday and walked into my favorite comic book store for a pot of paint, and they had a copy of Forgebane so I got that. Now I've gotta figure out how to paint the Armigers yellow without wanting to kill myself so this guy can have some friendos. I also need more fleur de lis transfers.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I would love to see a Chaos Gate remake. It had great turn based squad level combat for 40k.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SRM posted:

I got slightly drunk yesterday and walked into my favorite comic book store for a pot of paint, and they had a copy of Forgebane so I got that. Now I've gotta figure out how to paint the Armigers yellow without wanting to kill myself so this guy can have some friendos. I also need more fleur de lis transfers.

Everywhere I've seen suggests undercoating with brown, but it still sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
These new bits about the knight codex is really making me itch to invest in more robbutts. The House Raven specifically as it addresses the one issue I have with Baal Preds which is the ability to count heavy as assault and then receive no penalty for advancing. If we had a way, even with a strategy, to do that for at least one turn I think Baal preds would be tremendously useful instead of just being a more expensive Razorback.

So yeah, more robbutts!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

This is drat good!
Kind of tempted to grab one of these Renegade boxes when they're out, I want one of those knights and the Mechanicus terrain is great.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Skails posted:

I would love to see a Chaos Gate remake. It had great turn based squad level combat for 40k.

Agreed. A tactical squad-level game like Chaos Gate set in the 40k or 30k universe and similar to XCOM has been my lifelong dream

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Finally settled on a color scheme for my first army to get my feet wet. (Wanted to go with IG but I figured that might be biting off more than I could chew). Similar to a scheme I used in both Dawn of war 1 and 2, The "Corrosun Purifiers" General gist is that they were raised to defend a subsector of mostly agri-worlds left vulnerable by the opening of the great rift. Shortly after founding a splinter of Hive Fleet (Kronos or Tiamet haven't decided yet) showed up to nom the sector. While the Tyranids and corresponding Genestealer cults were repelled the chapter suffered tremendous losses. Apothecaries are now very common in the chapter as keeping losses low is paramount. Despite the losses they are very proud of their victory over the Tyranids and proudly display symbols of this, even skulls and claws from slain beasts on their armor.

Looking to make a pure primaris, mostly infantry based force with some apothecaries for flavor. I was also thinking of kit bashing some Tyranid warriors and gaunts to use as "decorative totems" on tanks and dreadnoughts. Haven't settled on a primarch or chapter of origin but I am leaning towards Imperial fists. I would love to do special ammo like the death watch aswell if there is anyway that can happen.

Bob Wins fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 29, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Walker Weekend is over. mods plz ban

Skails posted:

isn't this p much what Sanctus Reach is?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Walker Weekend is over. mods plz ban

isn't this p much what Sanctus Reach is?

Sanctus Reach is larger scale, late game you'll typically have 5-10 squads, some Predators and a Land Raider
Chaos Gate is individual guys (and still the better game despite its age imo)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Watched a bit on twitch over the weekend, can't say it looked great, apart from the graphics, but maybe you gotta play it? :shrug:
I've been playing the Enhanced Edition with some friends recently. It's a fun game and definitely feels like you're playing a terminator; you're a slow, clunky walking tank with tons of firepower. They've expanded genestealers quite a bit to keep enemies more interesting and you get the occasional hybrids too. I'd recommend it with the caveat that you definitely want to play it in multi-player with friends. An apothecary is mandatory, however. There is no way in hell you're getting through even a single level without one. Single-player saddles you with AI teammates that, while they can be managed with basic commands, are a complete hassle to use effectively and frequently die to swarms you could handle easily with actual people. The game is also made by the same devs as EYE: Divine Cybermancy. That's a selling point for some and a turn-off for others, but know that they're basically the Kings of Clunk and there's obtuse stuff all over the place.

Personally, I think Vermintide is the better game. Its combat is much more fluid and the characters are just fun. Deathwing has come a long way from its original release though. It was buggy and unoptimized as hell back then, but now it runs pretty well and I've had minimal issues.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

Undercoat white, apply yellow ink.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bob Wins posted:

Finally settled on a color scheme for my first army to get my feet wet. (Wanted to go with IG but I figured that might be biting off more than I could chew). Similar to a scheme I used in both Dawn of war 1 and 2, The "Corrosun Purifiers" General gist is that they were raised to defend a subsector of mostly agri-worlds left vulnerable by the opening of the great rift. Shortly after founding a splinter of Hive Fleet (Kronos or Tiamet haven't decided yet) showed up to nom the sector. While the Tyranids and corresponding Genestealer cults were repelled the chapter suffered tremendous losses. Apothecaries are now very common in the chapter as keeping losses low is paramount. Despite the losses they are very proud of their victory over the Tyranids and proudly display symbols of this, even skulls and claws from slain beasts on their armor.

Looking to make a pure primaris, mostly infantry based force with some apothecaries for flavor. I was also thinking of kit bashing some Tyranid warriors and gaunts to use as "decorative totems" on tanks and dreadnoughts. Haven't settled on a primarch or chapter of origin but I am leaning towards Imperial fists. I would love to do special ammo like the death watch aswell if there is anyway that can happen.

Since you're doing a custom chapter, you can just play them as Imperial Fists sometimes and Death Watch other times. It'll be hard to do both at the same time without it being really confusing to your opponent.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Undercoat white, apply yellow ink.

I did this and make sure you get a smooth undercoat and a few layers of ink cos otherwise it's gonna look like poo poo up close!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
How do Knights factor into battleforged armies? Do you take them as an Aux detachment for -1 CP if you're an SM army?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Skails posted:

Deathwatch isn't perfect but it's pretty much this.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

How do Knights factor into battleforged armies? Do you take them as an Aux detachment for -1 CP if you're an SM army?

There's a Superheavy Auxiliary Detachment that doesn't give the -1cp, meaning you can splash a knight in pretty much wherever you want without penalty.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

There is a super heavy auxiliary that is -0cp

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Deleter posted:

I did this and make sure you get a smooth undercoat and a few layers of ink cos otherwise it's gonna look like poo poo up close!

This is true for white in general; a single coat of white will always, without fail, look terrible.

But still, White prime + ink is drat good for vibrant colors.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigAristotle posted:

In addition to the 0PC Superheavy Auxiliary Detachment, you can field three Lords of War for a 3CP Superheavy Detachment. The Armigers are specifically designed to serve as supplementary units for that purpose, as otherwise Imperial Knights are going to really suffer in terms of CP.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Since you're doing a custom chapter, you can just play them as Imperial Fists sometimes and Death Watch other times. It'll be hard to do both at the same time without it being really confusing to your opponent.

Would it be possible to make the normal guys play as Imperial Fists and have something like 1st Company vets with a different paint job operate like death watch? or would that be too confusing?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Lotta michigan fans in thread lately.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dominus Class Knight

2CP to snipe a character with a S10, AP-4, d6 damage weapon that ignores invulnerable saves and 2CP to give every Imperium unit that's wholly within 6" of the Knight a 5+ invulnerable save.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Dominus Class Knight

2CP to snipe a character with a S10, AP-4, d6 damage weapon that ignores invulnerable saves and 2CP to give every Imperium unit that's wholly within 6" of the Knight a 5+ invulnerable save.

Haha, jesus christ that's ridiculous. They have to be at least 400 points, right? right?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

Lotta michigan fans in thread lately.

I strongly considered a maize and blue army before settling on Imperial Fists

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My immediate thought is that the Dominus class is pretty fragile for their rumored 6-700pt cost, at 28 wounds with a 3+ save. The firepower is pretty remarkable though. That flamer is loving bonkers and will burn through Primaris and Custodes like nothing else, the missiles are going to be completely gross against a lot of armies, the Volcano Lance is terrifying... the list goes on.

Assuming the leak was correct regarding the cost that's a whole lot of eggs in a single basket that will go down fairly easily to focus fire though.

Edit: I missed this line initially and it is incredibly funny:

quote:

You’ve seen flamer weapons before, but never like this. The conflagration cannon is the absolute pinnacle of heretic-incinerating technology, delivering 3D6 automatic hits of incendiary death to anyone you point it at. With a profile boasting -2 AP, S7 and 2 Damage means this weapon performs superbly against a range of targets but is especially deadly on units that rely on hefty modifiers to hit in place of armour (sorry, Alaitoc – you’re gonna burn).

Edit 2:
Good luck getting into assault against that thing unless you have a relic like Angel's Wing that blocks overwatch.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 29, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So running a few numbers on M'Spreadsheet...

The Volcano Lance is superior to everything with respect to killing T8 vehicles. An average of 14 wounds against a Land Raider per round before BS is taken into account. The harpoon only averages 10 damage before BS, and the variance will be higher since it's only one shot. In contrast the Volcano Cannon averages 35 damage and is attached to a cheaper platform.

GW said on the Facebook page that the Castellan and Valiant will be sold in separate boxes, so I suspect your weapon options are fairly limited. In terms of survivability 28 wounds with a 5+ invulnerable makes them a little more survivable than two Land Raiders.

Amusingly enough the short-ranged variant might be a better tank killer than the long-ranged one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Good luck getting into assault against that thing unless you have a relic like Angel's Wing that blocks overwatch.

If you don't kill it then the Knight will be able to walk away and burn you to death in the following round.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I want a knight, but I don't want that knight. I'm guessing other people are also going to want knights, possibly that knight, so what knight is the best knight for killing knights?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you don't kill it then the Knight will be able to walk away and burn you to death in the following round.

Bro, I got this

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's fun enough, and very atmospheric, but it has none of the joy of Vermintide and is bockety as hell. The animations let it down badly. While the light and sound make your guns seem powerful, the way enemies react makes it hard to tell if you're even hitting them. There's no visceral satisfaction like there is with shooting a guy with an arrow in Vermintide.
And melee combat is dreadful.

I wouldn't pay more than half price for it, and even then only if I had three friends I knew I was going to play with.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Giant Isopod posted:

I want a knight, but I don't want that knight. I'm guessing other people are also going to want knights, possibly that knight, so what knight is the best knight for killing knights?

A Shadowsword.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

The Lancer

:pcgaming:

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

I strongly considered a maize and blue army before settling on Imperial Fists

LOL at the idea of primaris Tom Brady and Capter Master Jim Harbaugh. I was originally going to go with a lighter gray in the above scheme I posted but decided that it was "too lions" although the idea of a "down on their luck, getting their rear end kicked all over the place" chapter is a pretty cool concept, Imagine Dreadnaught Barry Sanders (because lions fans won't let him die).

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A Shadowsword.

:mad:

Yessss that's more like it

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What was that prismatic gun on the Freeblade dude they teased? Would that be good at killing knights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bob Wins posted:

LOL at the idea of primaris Tom Brady and Capter Master Jim Harbaugh. I was originally going to go with a lighter gray in the above scheme I posted but decided that it was "too lions" although the idea of a "down on their luck, getting their rear end kicked all over the place" chapter is a pretty cool concept, Imagine Dreadnaught Barry Sanders (because lions fans won't let him die).

I just couldn't be arsed to paint wings on every helmet